Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭notsocutehoor

OK, I'd love to see that interview, even it was several years ago, people's memories can do funny things - people do NOT need to make pension contributions to reduce their effective tax rate, although of course it's a handy way of doing it

• he stated a person earning 125k a year pays an effective rate of tax of X% (I think it was mid to high 20s) - if he stated that a person earning 125k a year pays an effective rate of tax of a specific % mid to high 20s then that is probably correct (and obviously excluding ALL tax avoidance measures) - I'd need to sit down and work it out but I'd guess it's correct - have you worked out what their effective tax rate would be for someone on €125k. Of course if you added in pension contributions/AVCs and other tax avoidance measures it would be significantly lower than mid to high 20s% - could get it down to the teens at least.
    • he did not state that he was referencing someone 60+ maxing out AVCs - once again I'll say it, age has absolutely nothing to do with your effective tax rate, nada, diddly squat. Your effective tax rate is impacted/changed by your judicious use of tax avoidance measures, which may/may not include AVCs. There would be very very very few people earning €125k who would have an identical effective tax rate. So he was right in not mentioning 'someone 60+ maxing out AVCs' as it would have no relevance. If he was referencing someone 60+ maxing out AVCs then their effective tax rate would be nowhere near mid to high 20s
    • He did not include PRSI & USC - He may not have mentioned PRSI & USC, but he certainly included them, he had to, your effective tax rate is calculated including PRSI & USC, so there is no way out of including them in the calculation. If you exclude PRSI & USC from the calculation then a person earning €125k could reduce their effective tax rate to 0%
    • he didn't, for comparison sake, state what the effective rate for some one on 20k, 30k, 40k etc was - He could have but I'm struggling to see the relevance, presumably somebody on €20k is on an effective tax rate of 0%, again easy enough to work out but again I wouldn't see the relevance of stating that unless that was the question he was asked

some would say that's disingenuous I'd say its (the first 3 points combined) a complete falsehood. - I would hope that you might revisit this statement in the light of what I've posted above, unless of course you can show what I've posted above is a complete falsehood

I've no idea what the head honchos will make of this when reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CarProblem

@notsocutehoor

"if he stated that a person earning 125k a year pays an effective rate of tax of a specific % mid to high 20s then that is probably correct (and obviously excluding ALL tax avoidance measures) - I'd need to sit down and work it out but I'd guess it's correct"

It was (and still is) incorrect. At the time I was early 30s on a similar salary and had a far higher effective rate. Today PWC tax calculator gives over 31+% for income tax alone (would have been higher when the interview I referenced happened) before any relief for pension contributions (so before USC/PRSI). I'll search the Property Pin too see can i find the post where a poster back solved the % and it only added up when ignoring USC/PRSI and assuming maxing out AVCs for a 60+ year old

"once again I'll say it, age has absolutely nothing to do with your effective tax rate, nada, diddly squat. Your effective tax rate is impacted/changed by your judicious use of tax avoidance measures,"

Not only incorrect but you also contradict yourself. Pensions contributions are a tax avoidance measure and can reduce your effective rate (note I'm saying effective rate, not marginal). You can make higher tax free contributions as you get older so age can, and absolutely does, impact one's effective tax rate

"He may not have mentioned PRSI & USC, but he certainly included them"

No he didn't as I've pointed out already. And if he was assuming various tax avoidance measures without stating (he didn't state it) he was again being disingenuous at best

"He could have but I'm struggling to see the relevance"

His point was that higher paid workers paid very little tax. A comparison to other incomes would (IMO of course) be relevant as it would show the pitiful levels of tax paid by large swathes of workers

"I would hope that you might revisit this statement in the light of what I've posted above, unless of course you can show what I've posted above is a complete falsehood"

I won't be revisiting and what you posted as a rebuttal is utter nonsense. But hey not going down the rabbit hole so unless I can find the property pin thread I'll not post again on the matter

Wow - actually managed to find it. 136k (strange figure to pick!) and an effective rate of 24%

"he claimed someone on 136k had an effective tax rate of 24%. For a PAYE worker I call absolute 100% bullshit on this"

"My oh comes home with 47% of his gross, now health and pension is deducted also so I’m not sure what the actual tax take is, he earns less than above but 6 figures…so I don’t know where sf’s figures are from"

"As I said absolute bullsh1t

My effective rate is 40% of gross and 44% of taxable (I put 10% into a DC pension). I’m private sector

Even ignoring USC & PRSI my effective rates solely for PAYE are 29.3% & 32.2%. If pension relief is touched this will increase as I’ll only put in 5% to get the extra employer contributions

More rabble rousing I’m guessing “look how little those rich people pay, let’s get em (and conveniently ignore than people on up to 35k pay fuck all)”

Should add these are based on my monthly income in a non-bonus month (namely November)

Any bonus I earn is taxed entirely at the higher rate so my overall effective rates are actually higher"

"If you count USC and PRSI as income tax by other names (which USC certainly is and PRSI arguably so), that’s about my effective rate on low €40Ks, after pension relief on 10% of it. I think they’re being disingenuous here at best. Even if that 24% is true in the very strictest sense for income tax only, the real rate with USC and PRSI will be around 15% higher.

40 odd % sounds about right."

"It’s horseshit. I’m on a little over half that, and I pay effective tax of 35-36%* as a renter with 6%/5% pension contributions, rent relief and only VHI as BIK.

I can bloody well assure you that any pay increases I get send my effective tax rate up and not down.

However, if you count this 136k person as a 60+ year old married single earner, maxing out his/her pension relief at 40% of income"

So no revisiting for me apart from anything I may not have remembered 100% correctly. But my accusation of being a disingenuous bluffer/liar stands

There's a lot there to digest, and tbh I haven't a clue which is your own and which is from this anonymous poster on somewhere.

Can I also ask you to forget about "60+ year old married single earner, maxing out his/her pension relief at 40% of income", you, an 18 year old, a 40 year old, or a 60 year old can use their pension/avc or any other tax avoidance measure to reduce their effective rate, probably to the teens (%). I presume you do know that you could avoid paying tax at 40% on any of your €85k income with judicious use of tax avoidance measures I presume you understand that.

In the calculation of your effective tax rate the only thing you personally don't have control over is PRSI and USC (both mandatory thankfully)

"There's a lot there to digest"

All you really need to digest is that Pearse was being disingenuous and a spoofer.

"I haven't a clue which is your own and which is from this anonymous poster on somewhere"

The quotes are from the thread I linked from the Property Pin

"I presume you do know that you could avoid paying tax at 40% on any of your €85k income with judicious use of tax avoidance measures I presume you understand that."

Not for the first time - yes, but not relevant to the disingenuous spoofer accusation. He cherry picked the max pension tax avoidance not available to all tax payers. A level is available but not the level cherry picked by the bold Pearse

Anyhow - as I said, not getting sucked into a roundabout nonsensical discussion. Pearse was shown to be disingenuous at best

Post edited by CarProblem on

• Advertisement

Unfortunately keeping on saying something don't make it so, I just don't know why people can't admit it when they're wrong, you lose nothing in it.

Actually I think Pearse may be wrong as well (and I can only assume he was referring to a particular case as virtually no 2 people earning €136k would have the same effective tax rate).

I did a quick calculation there and I think he is seriously overstating it. An 18 year old married person (or a 30 year old, or a 50 year old, or a maxed out AVC 60 year old) earning €136k , could get their effective tax rate down to just below 10%, or being less scrooge-like to 15.1%. Pension contributions, rent relief (whatever that is), medical insurance, medical bills, education allowances etc not included in that calculation.

These calculations may very well be wrong of course (not great at the sums) and if so will be more than happy to hold my hand up and admit it.

BTW, this is available to you, me, uncle tom cobley, everybody

Edit: I should of course have said that those % figures above include USC & PRSI (obviously)

Post edited by notsocutehoor on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The Sf attitude to state finance is a bit like the story about the couple who borrowed €10,000 from the credit union under the pretence of refurbishing their central heating system. Instead, the couple went to Spain for 2 weeks of high living and when they got back gave the 2 fingers to the credit union about their loan.

Suurr they can get another loan somewhere else if they need it right...

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It seems nepotism is alive and well in Sinn Fein. TD appoints his wife as a councillor.

Keeping it in the family, I thought Sinn Fein were going to set new standards on this sort of thing - did they mean new lower standards? Not even an election, not even another candidate at the SF convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

I wonder if the party sent some on to collect him this time , im sure he can go back to work as a election worker for them

Killer Pearse McAuley freed from jail after serving time for horror attack on TD ex-wife - Independent.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Just saw that.

Another black day in the history of Sinn Fein and the PIRA.

Will Martin Ferris organise another homecoming party for this Garda killer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭relevanc

@notsocutehoor

I’d love the calculation on that ‘below 10% tax figure’.

As a tax advisor you must know something I don’t.

I can guarantee you that SF/Pearse calc is such bullsh*t

Ireland has a progressive tax model aka the more you earn (as an individual) the more you % pay. And a reminder that pension relief is capped and based on age

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Effective direct tax rates 2021

Single, 100k: 29.6% tax + 4% PRSI = 33.64% and that is before USC

So 100k means over 37%, and close to 40% effective tax rate

Single, 125K: 31.7% tax + 4% PRSI = 35.71% and that is before USC

So 125k means over 39%, and close to 42% effective tax rate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am interested in SF housing policy, which seems to be, correct me if I'm wrong:

"more public housing on public lands"

Everybody agrees with the need for more housing, especially the young people drawn to supporting SF.

But most people want to own their own home, rather than be a tenant of the local authority.

Surely there is a conflict here?

I wouldn't like to be getting tax advice from some of the people posting here, and one a tax advisor, and certainly wouldn't like to be paying for it (advice), and me not even related to a tax advisor/expert (actually I am but she's in a totally different field). A few funny posts actually. Is it any wonder the rich get richer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭relevanc

@notsocutehoor

post your 10% calc and then let us discuss!

Yerrah Pearse and colleagues are always getting caught out with bad maths

This thread is littered with examples

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Sinn Fein get told by Govt TDs all the time, their opposition to HTB is a disgrace.

Yet again SF on the ball regarding housing issues

OK, so you're the tax advisor and I'm assuming therefore a tax expert.

So I come to you looking for tax advice:

I am 18 years of age, earning €136k per year, married, not making any pension contributions (and no interest in making pension contributions as I'll have to wait another 50+ years before I can get my hands on the money), I have no interest in Health Insurance because I'm as fit as a fiddle, I know that there is nothing I can do about the €13k (give or take a few shillings) USC & PRSI that I have to pay. However I'd like to reduce my Income Tax bill as much as possible but whatever I do has to be legal and above board.

Is there any advice you as a tax advisor, and I'm assuming tax expert, can give me to help me reduce that Income Tax bill.

Simple enough scenario

Tbf eoin obroin is writing and publishing policy pieces with near on 10 years on housing and its obvious failings

The way he is dismissed out of hand,for simply being a shinner kind of sums up,why the state is in the mess it is

It certainly is, particularly the last couple of pages, you're probably handy enough with the sums yourself, can you explain it to the lads/lassies

• Advertisement

Whatever about this case,that bloke should been released under the gfa for his troubles offences.....

what did it say to families of killed RUC officers,only their lives were worth less than that of a gaurd,the way the media falls in line and never point this out,should tell to anyone,their utter uselessness in holding establishment to account

People simply cant afford their homes,afaik sinn fein plan is to retain ownership of the site,but sell the house.....this to improve value of state asset sheet.....double accounting is a sham,let them houses be full public ownership

Not a tax expert,but buy land,particularly poor land,spend money on improvements/draining etc,this can be wrote off over x amount of years,alongside repayments

Afaik some fairly substancial tax breaks available for forestry/solar panels,but latter depends on site.....if people known the way succesive governments have bend over backwards to farming lobby,their would be uproar

I'd prefer you'd just read the thread or mores the point,stop pretending you don't read it

Great weekend for Mary Lou with SF out polling FF and FG combined. Leo may get a new dossier done up asap

Errr No SF 36%

My % mistake dosnt take away from Gavan's tweet.

A bigger mistake was 'That'd be a disapprovement'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Yeah, 36% is 1% less than the percentage of FG/FF/Greens combined.

In my late 30s here, but this current coalition govt must be the most unpopular and disliked govt in my living memory (personal)

All 3 parties look set to be destined for a spell in the wilderness. Hard to believe some folk can defend its failures to be honest.

Post edited by shirrup on

Advertisement