Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

He's not being signed to 'replace' anyone per se. Leo hardly went to Nucifora and said "Hey, we want to sign Ngatai to replace Ringrose" and Nucifora said "Cool". But Ngatai is a bloody good player and it's very conceivable that come the business end of the season, he's in our best XV.

I actually think it's great for Ringrose, because he'll know he needs to be on his game to keep his place in the team, which in turn is good for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Also, I don't think it's accurate to say "Leo and Stuart clearly don't trust Frawley in the big games". He's competing with Henshaw, there isn't a player in Ireland who's starting the big games ahead of Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Evidence Frawley is moving to 10: Sexton finishing relatively soon, Ngatai signing

Evidence Frawley isn't moving to 10: There's no sign of their continuous backing of RB coming to an end

Cullen has apparently been quoted as saying he's been keeping tabs on Ngatai since 2014 (I haven't seen what he said myself). It could just be a vanity signing by him without much regard for what it means for existing players or how they're going to fit everyone in.

Good player, though 👍️

I like the sound of a Ngatai/Henshaw centre partnership, and Frawley at 10 I think could be really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The IRFU will not allow a foreign NIQ player to overtake a first choice Irish international. Any agreement with the IRFU would be on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yes, because Leo has a history of making things about himself at the expense of the team as a whole.

Vanity signing. Jesus Christ.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Frawley has 12 professional starts at 10 in his career, all coming over 2 years ago. In most reviews he was seen as a decent 10 but with some serious issues with his game, mainly his passing, with him throwing some poor intercepts and with some passes falling off or being off target. His kicking hadn't been questioned and was one of his top skill sets.

weirdly hes seen as a better 10 now than he was when he played 10, based on his performances at 12 .....

with sexton not retiring until the end of next season, i cannot see Cullens long term plan is to move Frawley back into a position he hadnt played in 3 years.

Ngatai, while he played prominently at 12 for Lyon, has pedigree at super rugby level playing at both 13 and 15 as well. Hes a great "utility back" option to have, and, with him being 32 when he plays for us, he will most probably take up the 12, 13 15 role which is vacated by injury / ireland camp. When it comes to high level games i wouldn't be surprised in the least to see both Frawley and JOB in competition for a bench spot with Ngatai in the 22 or 23 shirts (assuming lowe, larmour, keenan are fit to go)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Ngati helps it will be a good signing. Frawley will be a 10, imo. Even if he just benches.

The IRFU must approve all NIQ signings yes. But Nuifora isn't going to be selecting the Leinster team for semi finals and finals. Ngatai is now a Leinster player. And if, come April/May, Leo and Stuart see Ngatai/Henshaw as their best centre pairing to win a European Cup, they'll pick them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

He’s the best ten we have outside of Sexton. Offers a lot more offensively than either of the Byrne’s and games seem to open up when he plays there. Has some wayward passes and lacks concentration at times but is better than the other two who are essentially kicking tens.

He’s the best ten we have outside of Sexton. 

I don't know how anyone can definitively say this, given he's started one game there in 2 years.

And the fact that you think Harry Byrne is a "kicking 10" shows what you know

Vanity as in it's making an unnecessary signing (if Frawley doens't move to 10) just to make himself happy. Frawley and Osborne is an excellent reserve centre partnership, and there's less gametime to go around since the switch from Pro14 to URC.

I don't see the signing hurting the team overall, but it is bad news for Osborne or Frawley individually if Frawley isn't being moved.

Is it your past time to log on here and start arguments? Ok I’ll bite, Harry like Ross is tall and doesn’t have the best acceleration thus does not pose a great threat to the opposition on the gainline. He is excellent at kicking the ball like his brother but offers little else outside of that. His passing is good at times sometimes can be hit and miss. His game management is founded on his ability to pick passes and kick. He does little else. Explain to me now in your greater understanding of the basics and the finer points of the game why and how Harry is more than a kicking ten……and bear in mind passing often comes down to creating space and giving the receiver time on the ball - which Harry is limited at!

Post edited by Itxa on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It is very strange how loud some factions of people are calling for Frawley to be a 10 based on little or no recent evidence. A mandela like affect perhaps of a tiny faction of people calling for it and the notion gathering momentum.

Some of the same people who appear to be writing off Harry Byrne are calling for Frawley at 10. Byrne has played much better than Frawley at 10 in the last 2 seasons by virtue of actually playing in that position...

I think he might have the tools to be an excellent 10. But at present I see his ability as an Outhalf to be in the same boat as Lowry. Yes he can probably play there. But likely has a higher ceiling in a different position.

It’s not loudness it’s looking at our resources and seeing who fits the bill best. I probably shouldn’t have blurted out the above post. It was a quick fire response. Harry is good a better version of Ross but has his limitations. I think Frawley when he plays whatever position opens up space with his ability to run with the ball and expose gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

With Frawley, it's a bit of a case of the absence of negative turning into a positive. We haven't seen him play at 10, therefore we haven't seen him play badly at 10, therefore he's a good 10. It's the same logic that had people saying Ben Healy would be going to NZ this summer.

As for Ngatai, the simplest explanation is probably the right one. We have at least five backs who will have their game time curtailed ahead of the RWC, and with ROL, Hawkshaw, Adam Byrne and Conor O'Brien all gone, we'll be down to bare bones at times. The chance to sign an experienced, quality player who can hopefully be a leader when the internationals are gone would be too good to turn down.

There are no URC games on international weekends next season. The whole internationals being away issue is overstated. And even if Henshaw and Ringrose were missing, we'd still have Frawley, as he's only Ireland's 3rd choice 12, so he won't be managed. Ngatai is way too good to be Leinster's 3rd choice 12 and just playing a few URC games when internationals are missing (which will be far less often).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Again, ngatai is not just a 12

Frawley and Osborne are too good to be third choice. Ngatai is probably too good to be second choice. If you are a coach how do you keep all this player happy and/or motivated?

• Advertisement

edit.

Post edited by Itxa on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

Ngatai isnt too good to be 2nd choice when Henshaw, Ringrose & Keenan play in his preferred positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ok I’ll bite!

So 1.9m Harry Byrne is too slow and lacks acceleration because of his height. However 1.91m Kieran Frawley has loads of acceleration.

You do see some comical guff posted here.

As a general rule tall people have worse acceleration due to their levers being longer. Of course there is tall fast people Usain Bolt being one. But Harry’s pace off the mark isn’t as good.

Post edited by Itxa on

I wouldn't be surprised if he looks like the best 12 in Ireland midway through his first season here. Who know what he would have done with the All Blacks if his playing career in NZ hadn't been interrupted by concussion problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Are there any published stats to back that up, tho? HB doesn’t seem especially slower than Frawley to me.

To the extent Frawley may seem quicker, I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s down to the fact he plays 12, and gets the ball with more space and time.

I remember hearing somewhere that during Cheika's tenure Fergus McFadden was the quickest at every distance they tested speed over up to 150m except for 10m, which Trevor Hogan was the quickest over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

To be honest your commentary makes me think:

a) You are mixing Harry & Ross up.

b) You have never seen Harry play

c) You have Stevie Wonder Syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I believe cullen was basically quoted as saying Leinster are losing a lot of experience this year. Cronin, Toner, RoL etc. This guy is signed to be around UCD and the Training paddock alot to assist with bringing on the younger players. With the amount of players away with irish camp and the world cup at the start of the 23/24 season it's a good idea to have a few more experienced players around the place..

It's a good bit of business for everyone really..

He gets a decent pay day, won't be playing every week and leinster get a utility back with experience of top 14 and all blackm

Advertisement