Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Or maybe I’ll contribute to whatever thread I like based on my own interests without having to explain myself to someone whose only interest is to come into threads like this and sneer at people for wanting to have a discussion about something that person claims to have zero interest in.

You also ask the ‘what relevance is it to Ireland?’ every time and you don’t bother your arse to wait for an answer and you float off elsewhere, before another thread like this comes up and you rinse and repeat your usual nonsense. So why should I bother answering your disingenuous question?

Nobody is forcing you to post here, so allow people who want to discuss it to do so without your sneering. Complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I think overall it is the right decision for America. Each state can have the citizens vote and whatever the result of the majority it becomes the law.

Isn't that how democracy works

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JustAnotherLemonTree

With all the crap going on in the world, Ukraine, Brexit, inflation crisis etc.. this is finally some wonderful news to brighten up the lives of everyone who values the lives of the unborn child and is opposed to murder.

Fantastic to see the joyful faces of those outside the supreme court who have argued and fought for this very day.

America should be very proud today after some rough patches over the last few years. ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 82,475 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's alright for overheal to come onto every thread though and say the exact same democratic party line every time though.

Beg your pardon?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Except now the likes of pence are pushing for a federal ban..... the republican party of small government.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I imagine we will get to the point in the next 50 years where the constitution will need to be torn up and rewritten.

The Supreme Court has just underlined why it probably was never fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not good enough it needs to go further. This should be voted on town by town or better yet a person by person basis.

As an aside no state will have a vote on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Abortions will still happen. This won't actually end them, you are deluded if you think that's the case. A lot will just become unsafe now.

Oh right. Was unaware of that. But this ruling just gives the powers back to the states (for the time being at least)?

• Advertisement

He'd prefer to act as though I'm a participant on every thread on the forum front page yelling about stare decisis and amicus curiae briefs. And that I'm a Democrat, which is always a delight

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The polarization of American politics has led to this.

Abortion is a complex issue and requires a lot of careful consideration from people who support and oppose it. The problem in America is that it's turned into a choose sides scenario, nobody can see past the end of their nose.

There is a strong conservative Christian culture in America and there is also a strong liberal culture. Neither of these groups want to listen to what the other has to say and thus it turns every issue into a pitched battle.

Both the conservative and liberal hard liners are to blame for this situation, you can't throw combative language around the way its thrown around in America without creating a culture war.

The ongoing culture war we've seen over the last decade is only getting worse and this is just the latest episode.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Republicans aren't going to stop until a nationwide ban is imposed. They have been planning this for 50 odd years

Add in gay marriage ban, contraception ban and making homosexuality illegal nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, not really. Taking decisions and electing representatives, this is democracy at work. Restricting rights, even when done "democratically" by the majority's vote, it's not democracy, it's the tyranny of the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Nonsense, republican politicians love gay sex.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Didn't all the liberals in Ireland tell us that the constitution was no place to legislate for abortion?

Notice how Thomas didn't mention trying to relitigate interracial marriage when he declared we should relitigate practically every other matter that goes on in an American bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

The US continues its merry way towards civil war. The degree of polarisation in the country just isn't sustainable. Interesting to watch from outside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The Democrats don't trust the people. They hate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Yes. You’ll need 60 republicans in the senate for a national law. 2008 was the last time a party had that many. Was i believe (not looking it up, the 60s/70s) the time before that. So very unlikely to happen. Still an outside chance I guess but I would say unlikely in next 50 years at minimum. Actually I don’t think republicans have ever had 60 in the senate, so really near on impossible. Only time they would have is when they freed the slaves after the civil war.

So it’s up to the states to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Isn't 13 an unlucky number?

How does having 13 justices guarantee that the Constitution will be interpreted according to your own prejudices and wishes?

I am friends with a lesbian couple living in one of the trigger states.

One of them takes birth control to prevent severe ovarian cysts which have left her hospitalised in the past.

Now she is terrified she won't be able to access her birth control until it's "reviewed".

We're supposed to travel to their wedding celebration later this year (they're already legally married, but delayed the party due to Covid) and I've decided I'm not going.

I refuse to set foot in that shithole of a country that has no respect for women, ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If a person would take their own life as a result of Roe v Wade being repealed, then they clearly have severe mental duress to begin with, if not Roe v Wade I'm sure something else would happen to sadly cause them to take their own life. But the idea that a court ruling such as this would be the main cause of suicides is ridiculous.

What next, the clergy had suicides after gay marriage was legalised? People are committing suicide because of the supreme courts ruling on firearms carrying? Ridiculously dramatic over what is primarily a legal tidying exercise. Abortion rights are not mentioned in the constitution, and the Roe v Wade ruling was such a tenuous one by the court and not any law. There was no law backing it up, it was incredibly messy legal position.

Now congress can go and try legislate for it instead, or amend the constitution if they wish. But such a weak interpretation of the constitution was always going to be bad law.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And you theoretically could refrained from using profanity and try living in the real world where Obama is not longer in the senate, not longer president and never was on the supreme court and has no vote.... but there you go.

I don't necessarily see individual states being able to decide laws as a bad thing. I'm torn on the issue personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Crazy that a right that has existes for 50 years can suddenly be taken away by the government. Funny that Trump was pro choice before becoming a republican candidate and now may be catalyst for 50 percent of states banning abortions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

How are "we" going to do that?

If it were up to "us" (Irish people) Roe v Wade would not have become law in he first place as the majority of Irish people were against abortion the year it was passed (1973).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Youre been taken by the likes of nasty Pelosi who took this news and used it as a hammer to strike down on republicans. Its political warfare for dems now not a time to pat women on the back after all they don't even know what a woman is.

Many Republican states have and will continue to allow late term abortion. Many democrats are pro life too. Planned partenthood eliminates a disproportionate number of black babies. Republicans are giving black kids a life. Democrats want to flush them away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It is irrelevant to us here in Ireland. 

The only reason we got the 8th Amendment in Ireland was because of Roe v. Wade.

Bought and paid for in fundamentalist US dollars.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement