Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Haha. Any prediction I've made so far this year has been absolutely miles off but it's always fun to look back on posts at the end of the year.

Prime example of me saying the Sunday quater finals would get about 45k. And it looks like being about 75k as another poster predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

League definitely matters especially for a team like Dublin in a province now without a div1 side. I would agree with you on the 7\8 points though. But Cork are an odd team have loads of good players most counties would love to have some of their players. But for some reason few in Cork take football seriously. Except for certain football hot spots.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yeah, I laughed when I saw that. I was assuming 50k max for Sunday, 30k for Saturday. But i did not take into account how Armagh get behind a side with momentum, and how the Mayo fans come out in massive numbers. It will be interesting to see how many Galway fans show up, considering many support the hurlers. But again Armagh v Galway is a novelty.

The Kerry fans? I don't know. I would have thought youse would have been waiting for the final? 😉

In all seriousness though delighted I am going on Sunday should be two great games. Saturday will be almost a starter. Would assume Derry will have too much for Clare. But against Meath I remember Clare looking powerful. Just realised as well I don't think I ever saw the Clare footballers live. Will be a bit of a novelty.

The Cork v Dublin game? It is more curiosity as to how Cork approach it. I still think the rebels are capable of giving the Dubs a scare. The funny thing is I think Cork have a fear factor playing Dublin, that they wouldn't have if they were playing Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Prediction wise I'm going with

Derry by 5 over Clare

Dublin by 8 over Cork

Galway by 4 over Armagh

Kerry by 7 over Mayo

Honestly, and it pains me to say it but I genuinely did not think many Kerry fans would travel. Or Galway fans. I had accounted for the usual Mayo support and a big Armagh support so there must be a big crowd coming from Kerry and Galway for it to be close to a sell out.

Given the cost of everything sky rocketing recently, I didn't see this crowd coming at all but it will make for a great atmosphere. Anyone I know travelling is going to both games and you'd imagine most of Armagh and Galway fans would stay on for the 1st half of the second game at least so should be a great day.

• Advertisement

Not sure about that Galway call. Armagh keep upsetting the odds, Mayo one should be closer surely?

Dublin match is about right I would say. But think it will be closer than the final scoreline suggests.

I would go Armagh by 2. Derry by 8. And Kerry v Mayo - a draw, Mayo to win on penalties...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Kerry by 5

Dublin by 4 clear goals all scored in the last 15 minutes

Derry by 3 after extra time

Galway by 5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Pundits on the various Pods and Radio shows are like dogs with two pr1cks trying to predict a winner between the two media darling sides, "Galway who always play football the Right way" and Geezer/Donaghy's Armagh. It's like they are both going to win, such is the greatness bestowed on both sides, especially Galway, and the most attractive spectacle in modern history is assured at the weekend without doubt.

Kevin Walsh even on one of the pods complaining about how uncompetitive Connacht is....he's probably right given that Galway have finally won a couple after an abysmal record over the last 15 years (given they are by far the biggest county in the province).

The game could go either way, two really unproven teams that need to step up and prove they are worth the hype - personally think Armagh have the winning of it, as Galway can't defend even though they will again play with double sweepers and try to smother Armagh. Armagh will target Walsh Man v Man and meet Comer head on, they won't get the freedom they were allowed by Roscommon recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Completely agree with this and I follow Cork. I think Cork will put it up to Dublin initially but will at some point, get blitzed. I'd be guessing it'll take a similar shape to the Kerry game except Dublin will get goals.

Micheal Martin Jr is fairly poor off the tee, could see us getting minced on our own kickouts later into the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Armagh Galway could go either way. I assume they'll put Sean Kelly on Rian O Neill if he plays close to goal and that duel could decide the game.

Also hard to know if Armagh have anyone good enough to handle Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Mayo have more registered footballers in the county than Galway, which puts paid to the size argument. I can understand how you're touchy about perceptions given that Roscommon are solely known for a vote in 2015 but it's only a few words from a largely uniformed media bud, I wouldn't be getting so upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Derry by 4

Dublin by 15

Armagh by 3

Mayo by 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Derry by 5

Dublin by 8

Galway by 1

Kerry by 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Rian O'Neill is not one for just hanging around the opposition's goal. He is constantly moving - has a great engine, and always looking for the ball. I don't know how that would suit Sean Kelly if he is tracking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Hope you're wrong on The last one but they seem decent predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I think Kelly would be delighted to be brought out the field, he's a very good footballer and if I were Armagh, I'd prefer to keep him in the FB line

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Derry by 5

Dublin by 8

Galway by 2

Kerry by 6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

O Neill is a great player and in top form,I think he's a bit hot and cold though and wouldn't influence a game as much as Clifford who he is often compared to.I don't believe Clifford can be marked out if it for a game whereas O Neill can.I saw him play against Mayo (who as per usual were playing man on man) and he got 1 point from play.Sean Kelly is a serious player and Galway would love to see him out the pitch, I know o Neill likes to come out himself but it would be a mistake in this game I feel.

Kelly will match him for strength and pace but o Neill has few inches on him,If o Neill gives Sean Kelly the opportunity to put him on the back foot and have to defend that could be the winning and losing of the game.My worry would be Armagh don't have enough experience to win and if the above were to happen it would be a prime example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The Croke Park expected attendances this Saturday and Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If this is turns out to be true it really puts to bed any argument that the Dubs need to be in Croke Park all the time (this is a QF I know) If the crowd cant come out for this then it's time to give Longford town, Portlaoise, Tullamore etc. a few home games against the Dubs finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭snowgal

Derry to scrape through, extra time wouldn’t surprise me

Dublin to cruise through by double digits

Armagh to win by 3 or 5

kerry v Mayo possible extra time. Kerry to start slow, and I think Mayo could win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

Nah, too many injuries (existing and new) for Mayo I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But playing quarter finals in Croke Park has nothing to do with Dublin.

Since 2002 all quarter finals have been in Croke Park regardless of who is playing and how many they may attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I knew someone would say this which is why I specifically put the bit in brackets.

Dublin attendance has been poor so far and the boring predictable Leinster Championship got the blame but this shows that the Dublin attendance is off the cliff regardless so when the draw is made next year they should be away to whoever it is.

If 1.3m people (ya not all Dubs I know) can't be bothered to go to a game on the doorstep then they don't deserve special treatment next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Who are the new injuries. Surely, it cannot get any worse.

One question re the attendances - if they expect 70,000 on Sunday, i.e. that leaves another 12k or so; why are there no tickets on sale on ticketmaster?

I wonder do supervalu have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Any ideas on how to get 3 tickets together on Sunday? Up in Dublin anyhow it'd would be great to see the two games and bring the young fella to Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Keep checking Ticketmaster periodically. Within the last hour I have seen tickets (3 together) showing in Lower Hogan and Lower Canal end. They're gone again now, but if you keep an eye you might see more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

• Advertisement

Add this to the list of things I'm getting wrong this season which has been almost everything so far. Nice to see some common sense at last

Advertisement