Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pushback against Leftism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The anti trans movement is an imported, very well funded culture war, as a wedge issue. You’ll already see the sneers around here linking trans issues to marriage equality and other developments. Don’t fall for the spin.

Theres lots of people in the States who would disagree with you that abortion access is a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh FFS stop being childish.

Maybe you have been spending too long running interference for the government parties your brain is going soft.

Last time I checked we the taxpayers do not pay the salaries of IT companies or clothes shops. 🙄

BTW do you support the HSE ?

Oh wait you do, you are forever lecturing us how the waste of money new childrens hospital is so great.

BTW care to comment on how there are so many nurses leaving St James over the last while?

Maybe some of them are tired of arriving at work hours before their shift starts just so they might get a parking spot, a parking spot that will disappear when even more workers are added to the site with the new children's hospital.

Back to HSE would you be in favour of breaking it up back into the health boards ?

Surely it would be better like all the small NGOs.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

She is Fatima-Binta Victoire Dah, Chairperson of the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination in the UN.

The context was the amount of representatives of Irish NGOs that arrived on a jolly for a discussion on Racial Discrimination in Geneva.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh jaysus don't drag the states into this.

Thatcher would be seen as next to Mao in some of their eyes.

Just look how fooked up they are, when congress finally agrees to pass the first gun control laws in decades and the supreme court thinks people should be able to walk around with guns and overrule state's gun control laws.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm long enough in the tooth to remember when advocating for trade unions, housing, regulation and workers' rights invited accusations of being a communist. When the left advocated for these things, it found itself in the electoral wilderness for decades, at least here in the UK. It's hard to take this as a sincere criticism as a result.

There's only so many times one can attempt a strategy before changing it. The trans and immigration stuff is just imported US nonsense designed to inflame tensions and mask conservative incompetence and corruption. Ditto for the victimhood.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

The anti trans movement is an imported, very well funded culture war, as a wedge issue. 

How is it imported? There is a Trans population in this country, our politicians and the media have promoted "Trans rights" and other Trans issues.. so.. resistance to such beliefs has to come from abroad? Seriously?

As for being well-funded.. how often have you seen RTE representing an Anti-Trans position? Actually, how often do you see any (on any media platforms popular in Ireland) anti-trans programs sponsored to show the negatives? Surely if they were so well-funded, they'd be able to buy some decent airtime. What's all that funding being spent on? Genuinely curious to hear your answer to that.

Being critical of the overall topic of Trans, should not make someone "anti", and yet, that's what posters like yourself seek to present.

Utterly bizarre this need to make the criticism against Trans issues into some grand culture war. The negatives speak for themselves. As does the bias in Irish media, which avoids doing any dedicated reports representing the wide range of negatives, while talking up the virtuous angle of supporting them.

There are according to the pride crowd in dublin circa 5,000 trans people in the state....its a pretty much meaningless issue in greater scheme of things,that reasonable regulation and respect would solve ,tramore has a larger population

Im old enough to remember RTE letting grame linihan on debate trans issues,being honest ive never seen anyone anti-trans give a deep analysis of the subject*,and rethoric rarely geos beyond 'man in a dress' and some talk of puberty blockers and the obvious ethical issues around it....or think its a walk-in-park presented by many well meaning virtue signalling activests

*i have near zero knowledge on it as a subject,but it would seem obvious to me,it as a subject (XY cromozone??,is measurable and tradionally used by olypmics) is a lot more complex than 90% of arguement presented......if best rte can come up with is likes of linihan or obscure protest groups,its going nowhere and needs proper medical professionals with expertise to outline its issues for either side,which seems to not be happening anywhere

I find it a good exercise to swap out the topic word, in this case "Trans" and replace it with "women" or "children" or "black people" etc. This can give a different perspective on how a topic is being discussed. Taking you post as an example only (nothing to do with yourself), here's what it would look like

How is it imported? There is a female population in this country, our politicians and the media have promoted "womens rights" and other womens issues.. so.. resistance to such beliefs has to come from abroad? Seriously?

As for being well-funded.. how often have you seen RTE representing an Anti-women position? Actually, how often do you see any (on any media platforms popular in Ireland) anti-women programs sponsored to show the negatives? Surely if they were so well-funded, they'd be able to buy some decent airtime. What's all that funding being spent on? Genuinely curious to hear your answer to that.

Being critical of the overall topic of women, should not make someone "anti", and yet, that's what posters like yourself seek to present.

Utterly bizarre this need to make the criticism against women issues into some grand culture war. The negatives speak for themselves. As does the bias in Irish media, which avoids doing any dedicated reports representing the wide range of negatives, while talking up the virtuous angle of supporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

Can anyone tell me why allowing trans people to live their lives the way they want to and with the same respect everyone else get is "left"?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,451 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Trans rights are "left" because they have nothing to do with "live and let live".

Individualistic "live and let live" attitudes are more of a conservative, right-leaning thing. Lecturing and demanding other people change to suit is the "left".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

You mean the same right that just banned abortion in America? The same right that wants to go after contraceptives and gay marriage next? That right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It's lefties that fought for rights for all.

It was the right the were anti abortion and anti gay marriage in Ireland.

Not to mention what they did historically in Ireland, did the catholic church live and let live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Andrew do you follow me around?!

You miss my point. Most people are not transgender or homosexual. 90%plus.

But the way the left bang on you'd think transgender people were all over the place. Tiny tiny minority and much larger groups out there with worse issues.

You are a keyboard warrior Andrew. Thats it!

if best rte can come up with is likes of linihan or obscure protest groups,its going nowhere and needs proper medical professionals with expertise to outline its issues for either side,which seems to not be happening anywhere

Personally, I think the overall Trans topic is left really vague by RTE and others, because it's easier to pretend there's acceptance from the majority of people in Ireland that way. Most people don't have much of a clue as to what's involved in being Trans, because the automatic assumption is that it relates to those physically transitioning, and yet, they're likely the smaller part of the overall Trans population.

But it's this idea that any criticism of Trans issues is "anti" that annoys me. I'd be sympathetic/supportive of certain issues or desires within the Trans community, but resistant to others. It's not as simple as people want to make it all out to be... and there's this either you're with us or against us when it comes to the topic.

In the US. Yup. However it doesn't change that what he said about the left is true.

Were you asleep during the whole PC/woke movements, and the manner in which they "live and let live" those who disagreed with them? Come on.

The left is bad... but but but.. the right is bad. They're both bad because they both tend to lean towards extremes over time. I'm always amazed at those who want to adopt American social philosophies considering what a mess they've made of their own country.

Its an entirely valid position to hold,for some/againest others of trans subjects.....i dont claim to hold an iota enough to comment in depth about it,but the fact debate near always circles on 'man in dressup' rethoric screams over-simplistic to me (and afaik,its as likely to affect women turning into men as much,but this never arises in debate)

It deos seem a community that its loudest representives are very reactionary,in with/againest us terms,but may be caused by likes of linihan endlessly needling em for lols??

I think rte leaves it vague,as its such a small area (5 -15,000 pop),there is an even smaller pool of those with expertise in it,that pool is even smaller again to find an expert who hasnt been caught up in culture war sh1t.......like its representives are mostly those going/gone through it,which is all well and good in a "lived experience" rethoric,but i do feel formal expertise is better even to explain it, as its a mediacal issue,like you wouldnt ask a cancer survivor for the finer details/expertise on cancer.....(that being said i know near fcukall on it as a subject aswell,just the over simplification of it grates)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

SF is popular because people want to give the Government a kicking, I doubt many of the folks who will vote for them in the next GE could name one policy they have or realise they would make this country even more of a draw for AS than the crowd we have running the place at the moment.

Why isn’t a right party represented anywhere then? If FG/FF has been bringing in all these leftist policies that OP alludes too and their biggest opponents are those further to the left then I don’t see any supposed push back. It’s just a rant thread nothing more. There is no right wing party in the country that garners more than 1 or 2% of the vote and that is just fact. The push back is entirely imaginary when it comes to politics and the next Taoiseach and that’s the only thing that could implement any changes for a pushback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

LOL nobody banned abortion in the US, did you at least read what the overturning of Roe vs Wade mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

For the same reason parties didn't push back on the suffocating Church decades ago....we have one mode in Irish politics and media, herd mentality.

FF and Fg both polled terrible results back in 2020...they are doing something wrong that is for sure!!

But the media and establishment don’t have the same grip on society anymore and the polling for FG/FF reflects that so that still doesn’t answer why no right wing party can garner more than 1 or 2% in this country. Any pushback will be imaginary until that changes.

I do admit it astounds me the amount of mental health charities out there providing services.

We don't spend anything like the European avg on mental health but I really wonder if a lot of these charities should not be centralised?

However I'm sure the counter argument is they are much more efficient and their staff can be let go easier than public servants?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If SF sweep all before them at the next election are FF and FG not likely to conclude they are not left-wing enough for the Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

My take on it is that it is hard to obtain funding for new political parties, Micheal Martin back in 2011 (I think) as leader of the opposition introduced legislation on the funding of political parties, it was presented to us as a clean up of Irish politics but it also guaranteed no meaningful political entity could emerge. The only political entity that can take them on is the cash rich SF who have the resources to fight elections across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If you are around the same age as myself you will know that inward migration into this country only really started in the mid 90s so we are new to all of this compared to other European countries and in the past we have shown that we want immigration control like when we voted by a large majority to pass the referendum back in 2004.

People aren't interested in loons like Justin Barrett but if things keep going as they are there will be an opening for a party who represents the right, for example look at the support Carol Nolan is getting since she told a few home truths to O Brien.

The problem with far right nutjobs is they are nutjobs. You want to close borders, well you'll also have to agree to limit womens rights, leave the EU, put tariffs on imports etc

Its an eclectic mix of wackos in Ireland far right/right wing groups. There's a long list of very good reasons as to why none have had any major success at the polls and they themselves will happily provide those lists in the form of their own manifestos

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭anewme

and the other posts here from people who label women feminists when they pull them up on their blatant misogyny, suddenly becoming all concerned for women s rights and how badly wronged they are due to a trans athlete or a trans person using a changing room.

Ive never once come across a trans woman in a changing room in almost 50 years. I’ve never once seen a trans person in my exercise class.

people making out like it’s a huge issue. Talk about over dramatic.

most people are happy to live and let live.

Exceot here.

• Advertisement

Never really understood why putting Irish people first ahead of foreigners/migrants needed to be considered "of the right". Surely all political parties should be aimed at..

Alas a new party is likely to be needed, and they'll be labelled as being of the right, simply because they oppose the status quo. Hopefully, such a party avoids the religious issues, or the need to roll back social changes, and instead focuses on the more important issues like government spending, immigration, long-term economic health, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement