Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoptions and the right to an original birth cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well that's up to you. If I adopted a kid, I'd treat that kid as my own and I wouldn't allow any differentiation between that kid and a biological kid. I'd expect that kid to understand that I was their parent - not just a randomer who was taking care of them. And I'd want them to consider me to be their parent rather than some anonymous person or people who put them up for adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A few pages from Jack are surely in order now. Stay classy lads.

Relax there nudie, I’m not interested in getting into it here. My only contribution, in terms you’ll be familiar with, was the lack of class displayed by @TaurenDruid in claiming another posters opinion was psychopathic, while at the same time expressing their sincere hope that the poster would never become a parent.

Think on that one, and maybe it’ll come to you why expressing that sort of sentiment towards anyone, and particularly in the context of remonstrating other people for their lack of empathy, might just be the pot calling the kettle black.

I was attempting to find a piece of empathy within him but I wasn't successful.

I'll settle for having stopped you in your tracks, thanks very much:-)

Who is the natural mother of a baby born to a surrogate?

Mary wants a baby. She has medical issues but gets an egg donated by her sister Ann. Mary's husband Jack is infertile so they use a donor from a sperm bank. They travel abroad and find Svetlana who will carry the baby for 9 months.

Under Irish law, Svetlana will be the child's mother (and guardian etc.). Neither Mary nor Jack have any rights to the child under Irish law unless and until the child is adopted. At which stage they become the adoptive parents. I would call them the parents at that point. If you would call them something else, that is your choice.

You can answer the simple question I asked earlier - "do you think the supplier of genetic material should have automatic rights pertaining to the child"? It is a basic but fundamental question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

I’d hope all adoptive parents would not differentiate between their adopted and biological children. But it’s not your biological child, he or she comes with a history and you have to expect they will want to know that as they grow. Expecting them to keep a lid on their curiosity or desire because it might offend or upset you is selfish and they don’t owe you anything because you took them in.

And yes, @One eyed Jack - someone who'd deliberately inflict that on another human despite knowing the trauma they'd be causing? Psycho. Hoping a psycho never has kids - rational.

Well someone’s failing to connect the dots!

One of the most common reasons why children are removed from their parents is because their parents are regarded as being unfit to take care of their own children. Your sincerely hoping that a person never becomes a parent based upon your disagreeing with their opinions, is exactly the same way in which people who removed children from their parents justified their behaviour. Of course to them, their behaviour and their attitudes towards other people, was entirely rational too!

Mary and Jack are the child's parents because they are ones who will bond with, raise and care for that child.

Svetlana is a gestational carrier.

Ann and the person who donated the sperm are the only two people who have a biological and genetic connection to the child.

Well it appears you understand the use of the phrase describing someone as a provider of genetic material as being more general that, and not exactly congruent to, the person who gives birth to a child.

Other posters have appeared to get their knickers into a twist over that issue.

If the genetic link between people is sufficient to establish a right between them, then you are going to open up a huge can of worms for some people.

At what age do you think a child should be informed that they are not a biological child of either, or both, parents? Would you have any exceptions or would it just be a general principle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

And when you can express your question without using deliberately provocative language, I'll maybe answer. But maybe you should just go and open a thread on surrogacy/IVF.

In the meantime, you can keep guessing what I'd call anyone, or you can read my posts, where it's fairly clear. I've already said I think twice now that the people who raise a child are their parents.

You appear to be talking about involuntary loss of children with them being taken into care. You're the only one having that conversation here. The rest of us are talking about adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

It should always be talked about. My eldest brother is adopted. My parents were trying for years, adopted him and then had 4 more in 6 years 😜. I always knew he was adopted and what that meant and it was fine. He’s still my brother the same way the other one is. I don’t look at him any differently to my other siblings. Incidentally he met both his birth parents and it went well. Best possible outcome for him, he struggled a lot in his teens, pushed back against the parents a good bit but meeting his birth parents seems to have settled his mind.

You clearly have some strange definition of "provocative language". How about this instead:

Should there be automatic rights between a child/person and either the male who provided semen, or the female who provided the egg, for that child/person's conception.

A bit weird that you want it phrased like that. But whatever keeps you happy.

If the genetic link between people is sufficient to establish a right between them, then you are going to open up a huge can of worms for some people.

That can of worms has been open a long time Donald -

The issue of the “de facto family” previously arose in relation to a lesbian couple who had a baby with the sperm of a male friend. He later sought access to the child, and the couple opposed it, asserting their rights as a “de facto” family. This argument was rejected by the Supreme Court in December 2009, which ruled that such did not exist in Irish law, and that the child had the right to know his biological father.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ruling-stresses-no-such-thing-as-de-facto-family-in-law-1.658471

Closed somewhat, by the commencement of parts 2 and 3 of the Children and Family Relationships Act -

Frameworks which clarify the legal parentage of donor conceived children under the Children and Family Relationships Act comes into law tomorrow.

Minister for Health Simon Harris TD has confirmed Part 2 and 3 of the related regulations in the Children and Family Relationships Act 2015 will commence tomorrow.

These provisions will, for the first time, provide a legal framework for registering the births of children who are born as a result of assisted human reproduction involving donated eggs or sperm or embryos.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/new-co-parenting-legal-recognition-for-lesbian-couples-not-enough-says-campaigners-39179179.html

I’m referring specifically to your sincere hope that another poster never becomes a parent.

You clearly didn’t think that one through before you shot off.

I am familiar with the case you quoted. It is McD v. L and it is a famous case. I can't see your link as it is behind a paywall for me. The 2015 Act did not solve the issues from that case for the "father". Although it clarified the situation around DAHR somewhat. If I remember correctly, it explicitly set out that the donor would have no rights (even though they supply the genetic material)

In McD v L, in the High Court, the judge (I think it was Henchy) erred in referring to the "de-facto family". That was clarified in the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court actually said he erred if I remember correctly.

Seriously lads, trolling a thread about adopted people. And, don't try to disguise it, that's what you're doing. Sad. Can we not just be adopted and be ok with it? We're not monsters. And some of us (not me personally) might want to connect with the people who gave birth to us.

And - as predicted - jack comes in with a wall of text.

Someone posting something that you don't like isn't trolling. I hope that you get to meet those people. But if they don't want to be contacted by you then they have rights too. Your rights have to be balanced with their rights.

If your right as a child supersedes all other rights, then the side effect of that is that any woman who has a child, but who elects not to disclose the identity of the father, would be infringing upon the child's superior right and could be prosecuted for that.

It would also extend to any donor (sperm or egg) who had donated anonymously who might at some stage find themselves being contacted by someone they do not want to be connected to, and which breaks the conditions under which they supplied that genetic material (or sperm/egg for those of you who, for some reason, take offence at "genetic material").

I am still awaiting your answer to the question. I don't expect you will answer it though.

My point on telling the child, as you appear to have repeatedly ignored, is that if you adopt a child, it should be your choice if and when to tell that child. You should not be at the risk of one of the "biological parents" turning up on the doorstep to tell the child.

In relation to your apparent indignation about language, perhaps I should use language from the 2015 Act the other poster mentioned above? For the purposes of that Act:

Parentage of child born as a result of DAHR procedure

5. (1) The parents of a donor-conceived child who is born as a result of a DAHR procedure to which subsection (8) applies are—

(a) the mother, and

(b) the husband, civil partner or cohabitant, as the case may be, of the mother.

(2) Where a donor-conceived child is born as a result of a DAHR procedure, other than a DAHR procedure to which subsection (8) applies, the mother alone shall be the parent of that child.

(3) Where a person is, under subsection (1) or (2), the parent of a child, he or she shall have all parental rights and duties in respect of the child.

(4) In deducing any relationship for the purposes of any enactment, the relationship between every donor-conceived child and his or her parent or parents shall be determined in accordance with this section and all other relationships shall be determined accordingly.

(5) A donor of a gamete that is used in a DAHR procedure—

(a) is not the parent of a child born as a result of that procedure, and

(b) has no parental rights or duties in respect of the child.

(6) A donor of an embryo that is used in a DAHR procedure—

(a) is not the parent of a child born as a result of that procedure, and

(b) has no parental rights or duties in respect of the child.

(7) On and after the coming into operation of this section, a reference in any enactment to—

(a) a mother or parent of a child shall be construed as not including a woman who is the donor of a gamete or embryo that was used in a DAHR procedure that resulted in the birth of the child, and

(b) a father or parent of a child shall be construed as not including a man who is the donor of a gamete or embryo that was used in a DAHR procedure that resulted in the birth of the child.

.....it doesn't appear to use the phrase "biological parent" ....strange that. Must be a typo....given that you have told us that that is the phrase used in "the law"

• Advertisement

That’s my point though - you posted that if the genetic link between people is sufficient to establish a right between them, then a huge can of worms is opened up for some people.

The opening of a whole can of worms for some people is not sufficient justification to deprive children of the right to know their origins. This isn’t a right that’s currently recognised in Irish law, but it was part of the CAFR Act in section 35, yet to be enacted in legislation -

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/9/section/35/enacted/en/html#sec35

Have I a right to know who my biological parents are if I was born using assisted human reproduction?

Sometimes the people who are your parents and looking after you day-to-day are not the same people as your biological parents. This can be for a number of reasons including if you were born using sperm or egg from a donor.

Currently you have no right to know who your biological parents are in this situation. However, there are laws that are due to come into force that will allow you to know who your biological parents are after you turn 18 from a donor conceived register.

https://www.childrensrights.ie/sites/default/files/15159_ChildrensRightsAlliance_KnowYourRights_Chapter5_WEB.pdf

I don’t envy those parents who find themselves in a position they had never envisioned, but promises regarding the protection of their anonymity above children’s right to know their origins, or protecting their right to withhold information from their children, should never have been codified in Irish law in the first place, knowing that those children would one day become adults themselves who were denied their right to their identity. Omission of recognition of a right by the State is no different than being deprived of that right.

That being said, I do know people who didn’t find out until they were adults (often in cases upon their parents death), that they were adopted. It’s untrue to suggest that adults who find out in later life that they were adopted invariably experience trauma. I know parents who placed their children for adoption, children who were adopted within families, foster children who were later adopted by their foster parents, children who have been adopted by their own parents (due to a curious quirk in Irish Family Law), and it’s just too simplistic to claim any particular dominant narrative, especially when it’s only examining circumstances which supports that narrative.

There are also other scenarios, which although they might be infrequent, could be grossly unfair on some people.

Imagine being a young girl who was abused or raped and had a child as a product of that abuse. Eventually your rapist is sent to jail for their crimes. They get out of jail after 5 years and invoke whatever hypothetical right they have due to this genetic link, and hey presto, you have to have your rapist dropping by every weekend to exercise his hypothetical rights pertaining to that child.

In McD v L, the SC held that genetic link was not, in and of itself, sufficient, to establish any rights towards the child. The SC did grant access which had been denied by the HC

I was asking TaurienDruid about what they thought vis-a-vis genetic material. They are vaguely quoting "the law" to me (without any actual reference), even though I think they have no idea about any law in this area.

Donald is telling us that he would not tell an adopted child of his that they are adopted. Donald is therefore telling us, with the knowledge that discovering you are adopted only in adulthood is traumatic, he would still keep that information from that child. Donald is also telling us that he would keep that information from a child who will grow to adulthood and be asked numerous times over the course of his/her life for family medical info - "any history of heart disease? cancer? diabetes?" - and he will let that person mislead their medical practitioners through no fault of their own.

Except Donald never said any of that. It’s entirely your own invention.

Anyway - they don't seem bothered by it, so maybe you shouldn't be, either?

I’m not bothered by anything Donald said. I’m bothered by what you said. In simple terms, what you said was just beneath contempt. No matter how much I disagree with anyone, I would never hope that they never become a parent. In the context of the subject of this thread in particular, it’s not just nasty, it’s exactly the same sort of attitude which perpetuated and justified the behaviour you’re now arguing against.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - This is an emotive topic for a lot of people and the thread has taken a decidedly nasty turn over the last few pages. Can posters please be mindful of what they are posting and how it might be received by people who this issue directly affects

@Donald Trump do not post in this thread again

It’s a case of the WOKE few wanting their opinions/feelings to be the most important and to Hell with the opinions/ Feelings of the mothers or anyone else, for that matter. If a mother doesn’t want her child having access to her details, than her wishes are as valid as those of the child.

I know people in all of those groups too. All of the late-discovery adoptees - as in, adulthood, and a couple only finding out on the death of a parent - I've spoken with about it described finding out the lie as traumatic. Sure, that's only anecdote, and you can choose not to believe me. I've heard of others who weren't too bothered by it (don't know them personally) but they had a strained relationship with their parents anyway.

Some of the adoptees' rights groups - possibly the natural parents' groups also - were at one stage campaigning for it to be mandatory for adopted people to be told they were adopted at age of majority, but nothing came of it.

Re Donald - we're talking about someone who will deliberately lie to their child about their origins, knowing it will potentially cause harm to that child. That is contemptible and no, I don't think they should be a parent.

You're the one completely ignoring things, such as deliberately lying to your children causing trauma, or possibly medical misdiagnosis.

Again, this thread is about adoption, not surrogacy or donor IVF. No, I'm not fully au fait with legislation on those, and I've not claimed anything about the language that legislation pertaining to them uses. I do know that adopted people, adoptive parents, the Adoption Authority, natural parents, adoption agencies, Tusla, etc., all use the terms natural parents, birth parents, etc. Again - go start a thread on those topics if you want.

Imagine being a young girl who was abused or raped and had a child as a product of that abuse. Eventually your rapist is sent to jail for their crimes. They get out of jail after 5 years and invoke whatever hypothetical right they have due to this genetic link, and hey presto, you have to have your rapist dropping by every weekend to exercise his hypothetical rights pertaining to that child.

There are circumstances where that happens alright that I’m aware of in other jurisdictions, I think the closest we came to that in Ireland, to the best of my knowledge anyway was in the X case where the parents asked the Gardaí could the genetic material provide evidence that the accused was the father. Those circumstances are never as simple as can be portrayed by hypothetical scenarios. By way of example, a woman in the UK who was adopted, provided DNA evidence which was used to convict her father of rape -

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58073015.amp

In the US, laws in this regard vary by State -

https://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/parental-rights-and-sexual-assault.aspx

Similar legislation could be introduced to terminate parental rights in those circumstances, without infringing upon children’s right to know their origins.

In McD v L, the welfare of the child was of paramount consideration, as it is in all cases involving children, and that’s why it wasn’t just a rejection of the idea of a “de facto” Family was rejected by the SC, but it was also determined that the child had a right to a relationship with their father, which the couple had attempted to deprive the child of by moving to the other side of the world. The father first sought an injunction to prevent them from doing so, and then applied for guardianship of the child. The SC ruled that the father was entitled to access, but was not entitled to guardianship at the time.

Are you implying that adopted people with no information about their origin, no sense of where they came from, no medical history, that they are 'woke'?

• Advertisement

Sigh.

Advertisement