Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The twelfth is upon us again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No issue with your celebrations.

What is predictable is you, the OO and Unionism failing to take responsibility for the 'celebrations' the world sees.

Victimhood rampant again.

Cant you be kicked out of orange order for marrying a catholic,but not for murdering one,and most deffo not for singing to celebrate the murder of one??

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I think you can now see that boards.ie contributors are further along the human evolution journey, than huffing angry red-faced pot-bellied fools, who feel the need to march like a bunch of apes banging stuff and lighting bonfires with silly slogans and effigies.

The desire to be victims number 1 is high. It's nothing but anger from Unionism for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You love spinning this stuff don’t you

you can be kicked out for all three. But this is same old same old one-sides nonsense.

There were lots of members of the GAA who murdered protestants and mocked the murder of Protestants and I don’t know any that got through out. Same for Sinn Fein. In fact I know loads of shinners who murdered protestants but can’t think of any through out. And also ones who mocked sectarian murder of protestants and weren’t through out

you guys can’t see your hypocrisy for the blindness caused by your prejudice.

square one seems still on the horizon for many of you.

• Advertisement

You asked for tolerance for Orange bigotry and supremacy, you won't get it as long as they behave as they do. What the GAA, SF, or Martians do, isn't going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

.....did you not just land into the fecking thread highlighting an isolated incident?

One that despite your poor-me-ing is rumoured to have actually been carried out by rival bonfire builders from your own side?

G'way and sh*te with your usual hypocrisy, Downcow. For an isolated incident, it's amazing that not a single year passes without multiple examples of absolutely vile behaviour. Isolated my a*se.

I've seen enough of the Twelfth, 'celebrations' to know it'll never be an event I'd want to bring my children to. You're welcome to it yourself, but your, 'oh such a wonderful and inclusive PG rated celebration' b*llocks fools absolutely no one who's been within a ten mile radius of the marching season.

Seems to me,your wee rant hasnt answered a simple yes/no qs

Such a culturally enriching farce,how can a organisation that by its own rules exclude people of one religon get millions in tax payers grant and free policing for its parades....something not adding up here

downcow thinks we don't understand his 'culture'. We and the world understand it totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Seen a politician up the north wanting something done about the "attack" on a bonfire

Can you actually attack something like a bonfire

It's just an inanimate object isn't it

• Advertisement

I'm probably a bit more appreciative of quite a lot of Unionist culture than yourself, Francie.....but even Edward Stevenson himself would struggle to keep a straight face with Downcow's rose tinted glasses.

Wrong Fionn, I have worked with many Unionists on cross border projects including a drumming festival featuring the Lambeg.

I have no issue with their culture. This 12th orgy of hate though, needs to be seriously tackled not by the Parades Commission or anyone else but Unionism.

I don't think the 12th is beyond reform, Francie. I just don't think that'll ever happen when Unionists like Downcow try to pretend there's nothing wrong and we're just imagining the sh*t that happens every single year because it is sectarian of us to be opposed to all the effigy burning and sectarian chanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Truly Ireland's lumpenproletariat.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Christ almighty! The irony of someone complaining about prejudice against people who enjoy the celebrations of orange parades.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Downcow, stop being coy, this is exactly the reaction you wanted. You specifically posted your opening comment to rile everyone up.

That way you and Francie can have yet another thread where you bounce off each other in the desperate attempt to radicalise us all into one or other of your sides.

It's clear your purpose was to ask for reasons why people do not support the 12th celebrations just so that you could say it was just nationalist prejudice.

I mean, what possible reason could we give that you wouldn't say was nationalist prejudice? Maybe fire safety or the environment?

Must be delightful for you, Shield.....the hardcore Loyalists calling you PSNIRA while the hardcore Republicans insist you're still basically the RUC.

There's more than me that challenge downcow routinely on this site.

Nonsense. I wouldn’t expect nationalists to support the twelfth. I simply wish the minority of nationalists who are negatively infatuated with it could just get on with their lives and focus on their own interests over the July celebrations. Let everyone else unionist, nationalist and others just get on with following their own interests and stop thinking the world revolves around Northern Ireland republicans. Don’t attack our fires, don’t agitate at our celebrations, etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

The 12th is the only 'cultural' celebration event I know of that seems to be primarily focused on desecrating the symbols of the neighbouring culture. How it can be viewed as a celebration of Britishness and Protestantism in Northern Ireland is beyond me. It's rooted in supremacy, sectarianism and racism. Compare it to St. Patrick's day, where people celebrate the positivity of Irish culture, which is done worldwide. Not a single Union Jack or British emblem is burned.

Not to mention the environmental impact of burning 1000s of pallets and the clean up required in the aftermath.

I can't think of a single positive element to this celebration. I'm not even sure what it is even designed to celebrate. I didn't realise that the Williamite army celebrated their victory over the Jacobite army with a flurry of bonfires where the flag of a nation not even established yet was routinely set alight.

The marches are one thing and could pass as a positive cultural event. But the fires are a sick joke.

The fires do have an interesting historical background; the story goes that Williamite supporters lit fires across the hills of Antrim and Down to help the ships navigate Belfast Lough at night.

A wee snippet of history that I do think is worth preserving; as I said previously I don't think celebrations around the 11th Night/12th are beyond reform.

I don't think there's much to be inherently offended by at the core of a gay Dutch fella with the backing of the Pope winning a battle over some other lad who happened to be Catholic. That reform will never happen when folk like Downcow continue to insist there's nothing wrong and we're all sectarian for opposing the burning of flags and emblems and Loyalist paramilitary shows of strength.

The prejudice is look’n outa ya.

Do you genuinely believe the twelfth celebrations are focused on desecrating symbols lol? A few issues (completely unacceptable) at a few bonfires with hundreds of young people with too much to drink - hardly representative of weeks of celebrations or indeed of the eleventh night. But sure it makes a good story for you.

as for the innocent nationalist culture and ‘not a single union flag burnt’ - you are having a laugh. Which would you prefer I post from your nationalist culture? Burning union flags at st Patrick’s day parades? Singing about dead innocent protestants? mocking murdered Protestants? Celebrating murderers of Protestants in song or memorial? Etc etc. It’s your call. I don’t want to bombard you with posts, but I want to help educate away your naivety and prejudice.

you realise there are lots of disingenuous posters on this thread who know right well that 99% of unionist celebrations are excellent family friendly events that are drawing increasing numbers of tourists and that both cultures have their sectarian issues at the fringes? but I think you might actually believe what you are posting and I’d like to help you understand the reality

Speaking of wanting people to ignore it,and get on with their lives.....how deos starting a thread ,near on 3 weeks out from it,square with that worldview?

Nationalist 'infatuation' has made the north a better place to live in by curtailing the orgy of hate that the 12th was and still is in places.

Only for it, you'd be on here defending much more widerspread taunting and religious suprematism that my father's generation had to endure.

Sure there are plenty that are peaceful...so what? It's what underlies the 'culture' that is the problem and it is why OO numbers are falling. The KKK used to have the family friendly excuse too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Maybe it's a northern thing but I've never seen anything set alight at a St Patrick's Day parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The burning of the tri colour is disgusting but provided the marches avoid Catholic areas ,I see no harm in it , I certainly would not seek to ban them ,it looks like an enjoyable family day out

Music ,walking and tea and biscuits in a field

• Advertisement

What downcow refuses to accept is that nobody is trying to stop the peaceful ones, if that is your thing, work away.

The problem is the refusal to take responsibility for the wholesale sectarianism and hate on display in far too many places still. Somebody else had to, and stop or try to stop them.

Advertisement