Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Attended the Redemptorist Novena in Limerick which is on for a week , Surprised how many was there , massive church- must have been a thousand people at the mass i was at there last Sunday. Whilst definitely older crowd there was quite a few familys and younger people there . Quite a few Far East -Sri Lanken peoples also.

Once a week is plenty for me but been in such a full church brought a lot of peace and calm to me and feel good factor. There was a very community type feel to it despite people from various parts of Limerick city been there - Definitely helps me with lifes ups and downs .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭jmreire

No matter what the denomination, all Christian Churches worldwide follow Christ, hence the title Christians, which I mentioned. Now as for the claim that Catholic Church teaching its adherent's that its the one true Catholic and Apostolic Church of Christ, I suggest that you read the Nicene Creed, specifically the four marks of the one true Church. And in the case its only the RCC that bothers you, but not the others, are you religious yourself?? or more in the atheist line?

The Birth of Jesus was the beginning of the the Catholic Church. And, no I'm not becoming increasingly desperate, for sure!!! Quite the opposite in fact LOL. ( I think that applies more to you than to me, in fact !! ) The Catholic Church will remain Hotblack, as much as you and many others wish it gone. Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Was just thinking of the good old criminal enterprise known as RCC. You know, inquisitions, child rape, stuff like that. They all bother me, but the one I work towards removing is the one in Ireland specifically and it's crime bosses in Rome. I've always believed its good to have goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,806 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Who wishes it gone? I just want it out of our state-funded schools and hospitals, and to make proper recompense for its crimes instead of hiding behind the taxpayer.

But the idea that the RCC was founded in AD 1 is hilarious.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So they built a church based on the teachings of someone before knowing that those teachings were?

Or a less-than-1 year old child taught them from his crib?

The Catholic church was founded by Saint Peter some time around 30ad, and that's what the church itself says

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Dream on Igotadose,,,,,,not going to happen, not ever. So learn to live with it !!!!😂

WIKI: Catholic Church founder:- Jesus Christ, 1st century, Place:-Holy Land.

iIget the very same feeling every Sunday after Mass, and especially with the arrival of the good weather, people gathering around afterwards chatting to each other,, grand tranquil feeling. Despite the naysayers, Christianity and the Catholic Church is far from dead in Ireland.

It is in very serious decline.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Not ever? How would we wager on that?

As long as it moves more and more to irrelevancy, it'll eventually disappear like so many cults have over time. And as long as we're actively contesting its chokehold on Irish society, that'll help move things along.

What I wrote Quote :- You are right about one thing anyway Hotblack, and that's the long game anyway, I'll give you that!!! 2022 years in fact, through thick and thin, persecution etc, and I'll tell you something else Hotblack, it will go on for a long time yet, until the end of time, in fact. For all the denigration of the Church and Christians, we're still here. " Unquote

Then Princess manages to translate this into this:-

Thats because no one actually trying to get rid of you-it's your victim mentality again-they just want catholics. atheists, Its's amazing how often people mix up equality and persecution.....

The only thing amazing Princess is your rubbish and incoherent attempt to manipulate what I wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

1st century and year 1 are not the same thing. He could have founded it in year 30 and still be 1st century.

As to how long it will last?? Question of belief. After His resurrection, Jesus said " I will be with you always, until the end of time". You are right about the rise and fall of many "Cults", but the Catholic Church is not a cult. And Christianity has survived some 2022 years now.

You're actively contesting its choke hold on Irish society???? Tell me more.... what choke hold exactly?, and just how are you doing this???? Are ye organized into a society? Group etc? Because if posting on boards is a sample of breaking the choke hold, then I wont hold my breath. But in good Christian spirit, I wish ye well in your endeavor's, and I'm sure you will understand why I don't share your view's 😊

Serious Decline Hotblack, is not quite the same as saying that its finished, finito, done for, consigned to history. Because that my friend, is never going to happen. Until the end of time is what Jesus said. Of course if you don't believe in Him, then its all irrelevant to you, or anyone else posting on this forum.

Christianity began with the birth of Christ, when He was 30 years old, he began his preaching ministry, and 3 years later he finished it. Teaching the 12 apostles all they needed to know to carry on His work for the salvation of mankind, fulfilling his mission. Out of the 12, He picked Peter, saying "Peter, you are the Rock, upon which I will build my Church" And this became the Holy Catholic Apostolic Church.

Now princess, if you want to nitpick, go right ahead, indulge your self, OK?

Sure He could, but the most important point remains Breezy, that it was founded, would you agree with that?

No one is debating it was founded. The debate was whether or not it's 2022 years old which it is not.

For Christians, Christianity began with the birth of Jesus Christ. If you believe that it only began after the Death and Resurrection of Christ, then OK. Fine by me, go right ahead.

Speaking for all the christians now.

Jeysus I didn't realize it was the pope I was talking to.

• Advertisement

Breezy, instead of poking holes in whatever I post, why not post what you think is right? And it can be discussed? Otherwise, believe, disbelieve, or what ever floats your boat. I could not care less.

Most of this thread is you furiously replying with 2/3 post stop every comment so it's not me knocking myself out on this thread 😉

Keep on knocking those strawmen down goodo, "replying" to things that other posters never said.

What's very relevant to me is their continued control of schools they don't pay for. 89% of all primary schools (and most of the rest are Church of Ireland)

And another post saying nothing about the topic in hand, just taking another poke at me? Well done Breezy.

Still not sounding like a man who couldn't care less.

Each to his own view and opinion, I was reared in the Catholic tradition and for all its faults, it worked fine for me and thousands like me. None the less, I've no objection to non-religious schools whatsoever. And my opinion is that at grass roots level, if the majority of people wanted change, it would have happened a long time ago, but you don't hear from the majority......now if the Govt got their act together, and built more schools ( which are more than ever needed now, increase in population etc.) That would allow more choice, and keep everyone happy,. ( or try to )

What do you mean they don't pay for? The cost of education falls squarely on the Government, same as health etc. The schools the Church control, they own. ( and that's not 100% true now either, as presently some schools they own have been handed over to ET. etc, and more are in the pipeline) As I said, if the majority of the population wanted change, it would have happened a long time ago.

You are spokesman for the others now Hotblack are you? You introduced the "Decline" element into the conversation, the implication being that the Church is finished ( its not) and I answered it,

And another Breezy input !!! Bravo. Actually, I'm just killing time at the moment, and if you have any meaning full input to make, I'm happy to discuss with you, ( or anyone else ) and in good faith. That means discussing the topic and not the man.

• Advertisement

Decline and finished are 2 very different things.

Advertisement