Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

a) I have seen both play and nothing has changed in my opinion. Harry is a slightly better version of Ross. I hope they both excel internationally and prove me wrong.

b) I have seen Harry play against poor league opposition which is what most of the Celtic nations are.

c) No I am not blind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Montpellier winning the Top 14 just sounds so odd. They're the worst team Leinster played all season and I know they didn't take their Champions Cup games seriously against us.

Can't help but feeling a bit bitter tbh. Leinster standards never dropped the entire season bar the very end, yet they end it trophyless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

You drive for show. You putt for dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Montpellier sent a bunch of kids to the RDS. It wasn’t even their 2nd string. That game has no relevance to anything at all.

Ngatai can play 12, 13 and 15. The IRFU will have agreed an approach to selection regarding Ngatai because he plays in positions where there are existing and potential Irish internationals. He’ll be a utility back who will play where he is needed. There may not be URC games during international windows but players will be rested and they’ll get injured. And then next season we’ll be missing the internationals for a chunk of time due to the RWC so a guy of his experience and versatility will be invaluable.

• Advertisement

I know they didn't take it seriously, but that's the point I'm making. I don't think Leinster took any fixture for granted this season and went into every game to win, even if they didn't perform to the level required to do so.

It just grates me a bit that other clubs, who clearly didn't take fixtures seriously, reached a level of success that we didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I agree with all of that. All I'm saying is Ngatai is a seriously good player, who could give Leo a genuine selection headache for the big games. Whatever agreement was made with the IRFU, I think there's a real chance Ngatai is in our strongest XV come the business end, and if Leo wants to win trophies, he'll pick his best team. And Nucifora isn't going to prohibit Leo from picking his best team for a European knockout game. He'll at the very least, keep Ringrose on his toes, which is good for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We get it, you think Ringrose is ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think I already prefer the sound of Ngatai/Henshaw to Henshaw/Ringrose.

I seem to remember a period when Nacewa was keeping Robert Kearney out of the Leinster run-on team. In 08/09, maybe.

Not at all. It's more that I think Ngatai is really good, and Henshaw is the best 13 in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Leinster did the same thing in South Africa. Their kids just happen to be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yes, being 1m 95 cms must have been a shocking handicap to Usain Bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

It’s a law of physics that more force/power is required to move longer levers.

Law of the lever

In this case, the power into the lever equals the power out, and the ratio of output to input force is given by the ratio of the distances from the fulcrum to the points of application of these forces. This is known as the law of the lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Which is a rather simplistic overview of human physiology. If I put on 10kg, I will be able lift heavier weights on compound movements. I will generate more power but it won’t make me faster. There are far more elements involved in acceleration than the length of your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Ngatai isn't keeping Ringrose or Henshaw out of the Leinster team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

my kid is just over 4 foot, I’m going to time her on the 100m and see how far under the 10s she gets, really short levers on her

You mean like when we went to SA with a full team intent on winning those games?

If Leo selects Ngatai ahead of Ringrose in any meaningful way then we’ll simply not get approval the next time we want to sign someone in a position that has internationals in it.

And again. Ngatai plays more than just 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

Well he'll have to prove himself to be one of the top 3 12s in world rugby for that to happen...

Well the I think that's a problem for Leinster and Ireland. It doesn't really cultivate a high-performance environment if the established internationals are essentially protected from any competition at their provinces by the IRFU. Selection should be performance based any nobody's place should be guaranteed. I've got a feeling something like that happened at Munster with Murray and Carbery, who seemed to be guaranteed their place in that team no matter what. But if Leinster get punished for selecting their best team, I think that's a problem.

• Advertisement

Leinster and Ireland are doing just fine the way things are. I know you like to see problems everywhere, but Ringrose isn’t one. And reducing the number of guys we have who are eligible for Ireland and playing big games for their province is not exactly going to be a winning combination for Ireland now is it?

Carbery isn't guaranteed his place at Munster. He always gets picked because he's much better than Healy. Casey is closing the gap on Murray but he's not there yet.

Likewise, if Frawley is as good as he's made out to be, and Henshaw is actually a better 13 than 12, then surely Ringrose is already being kept on his toes. Not 100% sure why anyone thinks he needs to be but anyway...

It’s strange how people sometimes think that coaches deliberately pick inferior players out of some sense of misplaced loyalty when those coaches know that something like that could cost them their job. It’s particularly strange to accuse a coach of doing it when there’s an interview in the press today about how he’s done exactly the opposite. But hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Deleted.

Weirdly a link to a spam site that the Barbarians twitter page linked to.

This one does work

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

He always gets picked because he's much better than Healy.

He's absolutely not "much better" than Healy. There's no aspect of out half play that Carbery is better at. I think Healy is better personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Dev missed his conversion attempt last night. Our search for Johnny's replacement goes on.

In yesterday's Sunday Times, Neil Francis (yeah, I know...) goes on at length about how Leinster are stubbornly refusing to pick the player that everyone know will be Sexton's long-term replacement, for "erroneous and self-serving reasons". He declines to expand on what those reasons are, but it's exactly what you have outlined above. They know and we know that Frawley is our "guaranteed future out-half " but Leinster and Ireland are "retarding" his progress and playing him out of position at centre even though he's rubbish there (Neil's take, not mine).

Absolute madness, but not an uncommon perspective apparently

Honestly, it seems exactly like back in 2018 when everyone said Leo and Stuart were playing Carbery in the wrong position and he needed to leave to play 10 because it was his best position and he was the heir to Johnny's throne. Look how that turned out.

Having said that, the Ngatai signing does have me believe he will see more time at 10 next season. But that doesn't mean I think it's his best position.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's francis' modus operandi to pander to the lowest common denominator. Say something that seems legit on the face of it, but crumbles with the least about of investigation. Francis knows his main audience won't bother with any of that investigation.

• Advertisement

It was absolutely the right decision to move Frawley from 10 to 12. He was playing well there, but it seemed like every game there would be a small period where every pass he threw would go to ground or go behind the intended recipient. He switched off for a few minutes and his game went to pot.

Since moving to 12 there haven't been as many mistakes and that extra second on the ball, which playing at 12 affords you, has allowed him to really develop his skills. I actually think he could be moved back to 10 now and he'd flourish.

Advertisement