Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pushback against Leftism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm wondering what's the optimum number of NGO's per capita and the level of funding we should aim for in our Pushback against Leftism (PaL)?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It'll also have to overcome the slight obstacle of not existing. I'm sure if enough people fantasise about this new party on the Internet that river will be crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

There is no needs to push back against leftism. College kids grow out of it as do young adults when they start working and get a shock when taxed. That is when most people start to smell the roses and start questioning what their taxes are paid on and start to figure society out.

So if people had to go back to working from childhood down mines or in cotton mills at the age of 5 with no two day weekend or access to education, then we'd never have anyone calling for leftism? Isn’t that how it started?

I think you are taking the freedoms and privileges afforded to us by the left leaning for granted.

I'm happy to pay taxes so kids can go to school and college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Abortion is most certainly not banned in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The NGOs are the new religious orders.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Its only a matter of time now in a number of states...

Oklahoma...it is now already a crime to perform one (unless to protect the life of the mother)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭spakman

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say that every time I quickly scroll past it I read it as "The Pushback against Leitrim" and I wonder what poor Leitrim did to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The fact that the best they could get for anti-trans was a failed comedy writer was the clearest indication possible of this being an imported culture war.

Most people don't have MS. Most people aren't Hindu. Most people aren't over 80.

We still manage to treat minority with a little bit of respect and dignity. It's not a numbers game.

How would a centralised service improve things?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Not before time we pushed back against Leitrim.

Something, something inveterate crypto-Marxist bogmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The way the population responded to Covid shows clearly that the media and establishment have a vice like grip on Irish society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Or else it showed that most people, the ones who don’t rely on Facebook and YouTube for their “news”, have a little bit of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It's nothing to do with a pushback from leftism. FF and FG are not right or left they are over paid civil servants with no particular political leanings whatsoever.

They have simply realized that Sinn Fein at it's current polling would form a govt without either of them. That is all this is. The problems mounting from DECADES ago were in fact there 20 and 10 yrs ago. Both pa irties have had decades to tackle them.

They refuse to even intervene or have an ideology that one SHOULD intervene in the petrol crisis.

We have issues so far beyond immigration in this country it's not even funny. Our economy was running dry even before covid. Covid smashed this country in both the private and public sectors. Now world events are smashing it again and covid numbers are out of control again. The HSE is under staffed our public transportation is non existent after 10 in the evening. We have no night economy in comparison to other countries. Our tourist economy is a rip off.

The idea that housing is caused by immigration is a JOKE. I will tell you why we have a housing crisis.

1 . It is FAR too easy for private individuals to make legal objections that are successful to huge multi million developments in this country. There is a HUGE industry in making planning objections. We know it the govt knows it . https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/is-there-an-industry-in-planning-objections-level-of-successful-appeals-suggests-not-1.4799893 The idea that PAT DESMOND a woman who has not earned her lifestyle but is only afforded it by being married to a billionaire can knock down a house on Shrewsbury Road to build another in the exact same place YET can have a successful objection to a development that would provide thousands with homes nearby demonstrates EXACTLY what is wrong with this country. The idea that a MRS BUCKET calling herself bouquet can hold developers to ransom is a joke. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/desmonds-wife-fights-fast-track-homes-law-39012758.html The woman is nothing but an uppity gold digging trouble maker.

2 The fact that different govt depts CONSTANTLY SUE EACH OTHER. How can govt depts from the same govt be SO badly aligned they seek to sue each other? And how can they get away with it? HOW AND WHY are an bord pleanala and an taisce always suing each other??? HOW I mean WHY?? What is the point? How can that be allowed? It's ONE thing for private citizens to win objections to planning it's another for another govt dept! ??? What is going on? And that isn't just on planning transport depts do it too! https://www.antaisce.org/news/high-court-upholds-an-bord-pleanala-decision-granting-planning-permission-to-glanbia-cheese-factory

3 Budgets being set to the expenditure of the previous year in govt depts. It just means that if they manage to save during the year they splurge on crap at the end to avoid cuts.

4 The idea that if you are a civil servant you can do ANY govt job. Like being transferred from an post to the dept of education. This is normal. They want to hire from within. Partly i can understand they can transfer without increasing expenditure at the higher pay grade sometimes. But it means often people start working in depts they have no background in.

5 Instead of building or buying social housing the govt leases it often FROM investment funds. This is something that even the bucket woman's (dermot desmond ) husband sees is absolutely STUPID. These leasing arrangements are not only just dead money they are often at a rate of interest. So its like an expanding black hole of dead money. These huge investment funds often get the same tax advantages offered to smaller landlords which is illogical. We are paying them twice. No doubt some of these investment funds have clients close to someone nudge nudge wink wink.

By the way the bucket couple are a bane on this whole topic they keep making objections to huge developments.

There is SO MUCH MORE to this i can't go in to it here.

But the idea that FF or FG have any kind of political ideology either left or right is ridiculous. The idea that anything i have mentioned above is any type of leftist ideology is again completely bonkers.

The electorate is seeking any kind of alternative to FF/FG and the biggest party is SF. And for the first time SF out poll both parties enough to make a govt. Now polling is not anywhere near an actual election. However it's enough to make an FF and FG do something that they have not done for a very very very long time which is THINK.

Everything i have said is entirely correct. Nothing i have said is connected in any way to any kind of political ideology. I don't consider myself anything. It's just common sense.

However INVENTING the idea that there is this dire battle of left vrs right in this country might be useful to some. It's bollix. As is the idea that FF or FG are on either side of that battle.

And in any case NET inward immigration into this country has declined in recent years.

The net migration rate for Ireland in 2021 was 3.164 per 1000 population, a 15.63% decline from 2020. The net migration rate for Ireland in 2020 was 3.750 per 1000 population, a 13.53% decline from 2019.

But do carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Extremist movements will always become further extreme until they have wiped out anyone who isn't them. Then they'll turn on each other.

It's the nature of who they are.

I wish there was a pushback against political incompetence.

Xenophobia? What on Earth are you on about? I never mentioned xenophobia.

Are you sensitive about xenophobia? If you're reading it into a person's posts when they never mentioned the issue then it would seem that you are.

My point had nothing to do with xenophobia, or all the other things you seem to be cross about. The world can appear to be going to hell in a handcart, when all that's happening is that the world is turning (as it always does), and changing (as it always does), but that it's you - and me - that's getting older (as we always do) and becoming more out of touch (as we always do).

Boogeymen? Are you really scared of boogeymen? Gung-ho for immigration? I've never met anyone who's gung-ho for immigration? Minority rights? What minority rights? We all have rights. Rights are nice - I like having rights. Don't you? Is there some minority out there who's rights you want to take away? Why? You're probably in a minority as well - just about everybody is, when push comes to shove.

I'm reminded of some of the Roddy Doyle sketches of the grumpy oul' lads at the bar mumbling and grumbling - or maybe these two:

Doubtful. Turnout is always low and to win an election you don't win every vote. They are likely to pull harder to the right to find votes.

I don't really think there are many far right groups in Ireland beyond youth defense iona etc its that some give them more air time.

• Advertisement

In the six years between Census 2016 and Census 2022, there was net inward migration of more than 190,000

From your link

Central Statistics Office (CSO) show that the number of immigrants is estimated to have decreased by 23.7 per cent year-on-year from 85,400 in 2020 to 65,200 in 2021.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-vsys/vitalstatisticsyearlysummary2021/

There were 58,443 births in 2021

More migration than natural increase. Absolute madness. Running a census for planning purposes is pointless. It was used to estimate needs X years down the line as it was essentially projecting the future population pyramid/shape. With migration so high we have no lead time. The people turn up of all ages. This would be ok at a rates orders of magnitude less where they could be absorbed. But their growth outstrips our own birthrates.

Off the wall destructive policy

Wow.. mister obvious, since I referenced the need to create such a party. And as I've stated previously, I don't see working within the current political system as being a viable option. It's a stacked deck.

How about 3 groups per particular issue? ie, 3 women's issues groups, 3 homelessness groups, etc. Would it really be so terrible to consolidate funding, workers, infrastructure and knowledge?

No idea what the optimum number is, but how about a reasonable number?

We shouldn't be relying on charities. Why? often the people who volunteer or work for them even the 'counsellors ' are not fully qualified.

Often they are not really charities but businesses looking for tax breaks that use volunteer and cheap labour.

And if you raise this publicly they will eat your head off with impunity because they have the image of a 'charity'.

Im not trying to discourage people from giving to them. However i know lots of people hired by them to work with vulnerable people who had nothing behind them in terms of qualifications or experience other than a garda background check.

That is what i said??? Its going down not up.

200k over six years is about 30k per year. We also have depopulation lower birth rates and outward migration. Not to mention all those who come do not always stay.

Im not saying immigration is always good but we haven't experienced it at damaging rates..or even huge unmanagable rates ...the ukrainian situation excluded.

I didn't say that you had mentioned xenophobia. It was a reference to the claim about posters referring to the silent majority... . Which was stated in my post. and which you ignored. Same with the rest, just a list of deflections without dealing with what I wrote.

Great job there. Awesome.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And the same shmucks that bought into this and nailed their colours to the mast of that perennial loser are the ones who are bitching when Michael D Higgins 'speaks the truth' about housing.

What's there? Funding for NGOs? Have you read the spreadsheet that comes with the Benefacts reports? Here's a list of some of the "NGOs" who got this leftie funding in the report (sorry for the caps, they're lifted straight from the Benefacts spreadsheet):

ABBEY THEATRE AMHARCLANN NA MAINISTREACH

ADAPT DOMESTIC ABUSE SERVICES

AGE ACTION IRELAND

ALCOHOL ACTION IRELAND

ALONE

ARC CANCER SUPPORT CENTRES

ARCHDIOCESE OF ARMAGH - PARISHES SITUATED IN LOUTH.

ARKLOW TIDY TOWNS

ARTHRITIS IRELAND

ASTHMA SOCIETY OF IRELAND

AWARE

BADMINTON UNION OF IRELAND CLG

BEAUMONT HOSPITAL

BRAINWAVE-THE IRISH EPILEPSY ASSOCIATION

CARLOW EMERGENCY DOCTORS-ON-CALL CLG

CASTLECOMER COMMUNITY SCHOOL

CENTRAL REMEDIAL CLINIC

CHILDREN'S GRIEF CENTRE

CHRISTIAN AID IRELAND

CLARE SUICIDE BEREAVEMENT SUPPORT

COMHALTAS CEOLTOIRI EIREANN

COMMUNITY GAMES

COOMBE LYING-IN HOSPITAL.

CORK ASSOCIATION FOR AUTISM

CORK RAPE CRISIS CENTRE CLG

CRIME VICTIMS HELPLINE

CYSTIC FIBROSIS REGISTRY OF IRELAND

DEAF SPORTS IRELAND

DONEGAL SEXUAL ABUSE AND RAPE CRISIS CENTRE CLG

DROGHEDA HOMELESS AID ASSOCIATION

DUBLIN DENTAL HOSPITAL

DUBLIN SIMON COMMUNITY

ENABLE IRELAND DISABILITY SERVICES

ENGAGING DEMENTIA

ESKER HOUSE WOMEN'S REFUGE

FIGHTING BLINDNESS

FOCUS IRELAND CLG

GAA HANDBALL IRELAND

GAELIC ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION

GALWAY CHILDCARE COMMITTEE

GOAL

GUINNESS CHOIR

HOPE CANCER SUPPORT CENTRE CLG

IRISH CANCER SOCIETY

IRISH DEAF SOCIETY THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF THE DEAF CLG

IRISH FILM INSTITUTE

IRISH GUIDE DOGS FOR THE BLIND

IRISH RUGBY FOOTBALL UNION

IRISH TENPIN BOWLING ASSOCIATION

IRISH UNIVERSITIES ASSOCIATION

JACK AND JILL FOUNDATION CLG

KERRY DIOCESAN YOUTH SERVICE

KILKENNY ARTS FESTIVAL CLG

KINSALE LITERARY FESTIVAL

LEOPARDSTOWN PARK HOSPITAL

LORETO COLLEGE CRUMLIN

MARY IMMACULATE COLLEGE - LIMERICK.

MATER MISERICORDIAE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL

MENTAL HEALTH IRELAND

MISCARRIAGE ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND

MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS NORTH WEST THERAPY CENTRE CLG

MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY IRELAND CLG

NA PIOBAIRI UILLEANN CUIDEACHTA FAOI THEORAINN RÁTHAÍOCHTA

NATIONAL COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN.

NATIONAL MATERNITY HOSPITAL.

OFFALY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SUPPORT SERVICE CLG

OXFAM REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

PIETA HOUSE

PITCH & PUTT UNION OF IRELAND

ROYAL IRISH ACADEMY OF MUSIC

ROYAL VICTORIA EYE AND EAR HOSPITAL

SAMARITANS IRELAND

SANCTA MARIA SENIOR CITIZENS DAY CENTRE

SIMON COMMUNITIES OF IRELAND

SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND

ST FRANCIS JUNIOR NATIONAL SCHOOL

ST. FRANCIS HOSPICE DUBLIN

ST. VINCENT DE PAUL - COUNCIL OF IRELAND

THE ALZHEIMER SOCIETY OF IRELAND

THE CATHOLIC INSTITUTE FOR DEAF PEOPLE

THE DUBLIN RAPE CRISIS CENTRE

THE IRISH KIDNEY ASSOCIATION CLG

THE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS SOCIETY OF IRELAND

THE ROTUNDA HOSPITAL

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN

VOLLEYBALL ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND CLG

WOMENS AID CLG

YOUTH NEW ROSS

I'm following up on this. The cranky oul' lads who bang on about 'NGO funding' conveniently forget that 'NGOs' include thousands of education centres (schools and colleges), charities, church and community voluntary organisations and hospitals.

Would the 'NGO bashers' like to select some of the list in my previous post and tell is what's wrong with them?

If you want to look more closely, you'll find the various Benefacts spreadsheets here: https://benefactslegacy.ie/data/

I get it. You're hypersensitive about xenophobia. I'm not. We all want to stay cool and relevant, but sometimes life and time just passes us by. Try chilling instead of ranting. It's not like slactivism on Boards is actually changing anything.

• Advertisement

Pure Left or Right solutions don’t work and tend to mirror each other eventually as they play out.

A fair society that rewards merit but supports people on hard times is a better solution.

The leftist societies still depend on slave labour from developing nations to supply cheaply produced goods and food.

Right wing approaches that say the market will resolve everything still see tax payers money being used to allow companies to buy back there own stock and bail out incompetent banks.

We need a equitable society

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement