Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Can you give a source for this? And one that verifies the story and the connection of the two pictures?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

Perhaps, but these are fundamentally Russian aircraft so may not be as dependent on foreign parts as a Boeing or an Airbus.

And Russian aircraft already have a solid tradition of crashing, about 1 incident every 2 - 3 years for this type (scroll down to Accidents)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyushin_Il-76

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'd be curious to know how many 'foreign' or non western parts are in a Boeing or Airbus, i'm genuinely curious.

But based on the Russian Sukhoi Superjet 100 passenger jet...... it has partly french made engines.

I'd say quite a few advancements in Russia have come from western tech/expertise/knowledge/parts etc...

• Probably if the gas was cut off to Germany then Scholtz would change his mind

• Yup that was always the risk, think Zelensky wants to slow down the Russians as much as possible but that tactic comes with a sacrifice

• Advertisement

• Russia are short on trained pilots too. Although for the domestic passenger travel (non military) probably the chinese airlines would start flying domestic routes for them

• There is a rumour there will be a big mobilisation in Russia within the next month. I cant see Russia been able to maintain control of the conquered lands and making new offensives without having more troops. The Ukraine and Russian troops at the frontlines must be worn out at this stage, they will need to be rotated out. The difference now between Russia and Ukraine, is that Russia have an endless weapons/ammo supply where as Ukraine has a limited amount, but Russia has few troops where Ukraine has an endless amout of troops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Except Afghanistan has a completely different landscape to Ukraine and no major power ever came out of there without their balls in a black bag partly do to this. Ukrainian forces where winning big victories in urban settings but the fighting now is in the open. As I said before the Russians have now changed the MO back to what there used to, which is level everything so there’s no urban/street fighting as we saw before. Like the afghans the Ukrainian will to resist is strong but this will come at huge cost and not soon unless something major happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

The amateur / arm chair military experts on this thread all paint a picture of an ad-hoc/ dis-unified approach of the assistance that the west/nato are providing Ukraine with as well as the overall tactics against Putin/Russia. Behind the leaked /official lines that we get in the media, do the real expert military strategists of USA/UK/EU/NATO have a grand plan to end war and topple putin…..?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

How very heroic of the pilots to aim the plane directly for an urban area. Big and all as Russia is they still managed to hit a town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

unless it’s a very significant amount would you not be better off to donate to a voluntary org working on the ground and working close to the front line in places serving the wounded eg MSF

Who? The Spartans? Those bloody Persians!

It does seem to have escaped your notice, but you are posting on an Irish website, and despite significant inward migration (which has done wonders for Ireland, imo) we have mostly been a monoglot nation since The Potato famine that affected the poor Irish. We mostly only understand English* since then. Very few of us can speak Russian or its sister languages.

So, as Roy Keane might say ‘All credit to your Russian speaking ability, but would you please mind translating into the local lingo.’ There’s a good chap.

*given Putin’s progress across Ukraine it’s very likely to remain English for the foreseeable.

On a flat surface the blades would be possible. On a round surface like the pole in the picture they would stick out a mile. So, he can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Ukraine are lucky in the regards that say if they were against America, America would have the majority of their drones and planes attacking any retreating Ukrainian forces from the city. Hardly anything would make it back to Ukrainian lines. Against Russia on the other hand a lot will make it back. If Russia was smart they would concentrate most of the airpower here for the next few days and take any Ukrainian military vehicles or infantry out. Perfect time for time to take out your enemies while they retreat but like I said if the Russian military was smart in this regard which for Ukraine they are lucky in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

I got the images from a trusted telegram channel so a link wont help with any proof that was asked for.

My view is that the blade part of the poster was left unglued and sticking out.There are no ripping marks there.It is the ideal place for someone to grab the picture,it would entice your fingers to that sticking out part but it is like a snare in the woods with only a small chance of success......And also I will admit that it may be a big hoax that I fell for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

I hope you're right, I'm less convinced that lessons can be so easily transferred 1:1 between wars, circumstances and technology are very different and human will alone cannot guarantee victory. But time will tell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ditto. Afghanistan and Vietnam for that matter are quite different and hold serious geographical advantages for insurgency. Even with modern technology. They also hold cultural advantages too and not so obvious ones like what people are used to. If you're born and bred in an Afghan valley with maybe one dirt road in and out where electricity is born from diesel, you are used to and can take a lot more privation from an enemy than someone living in an apartment with netflix who drives to the shops to buy beer and eggs.

Can Russia win? Of course they can and will, unless there is a huge injection of Western military kit into Ukraine. What they've recieved so far is a pittance. Twenty tanks here, five howitzers there and so on. Dribs and drabs. The Russians have the kit and the sheer numbers and have learned from their initial screwups. Their kit may be inferior, but a musket is more actual use than an M-16 without bullets, or not there at all. In this new war of artillery and attrition Ukraine can't win. Though it starkly demonstrates how utterly below par the Russian forces actually are. They should have walked this and clearly haven't. With all their on paper advantage and terrain that suits they're fighting for every road, hamlet and ditch.The credit for that goes to the Ukrainian defenders.

It also depends on what we mean by "win" of course. Russia lost the second it crossed the border and headed for Kyiv. It might have gotten away far more with "doing a Crimea" with Donbas and stopping there, but they didn't. Their economy is screwed, their future investment cut off. All they have left is oil and gas and customers are pivoting away from those. They're a rusty petrol station where the owner gets 90% of the profits and the staff are on an increasingly downward pittance. Russia has some of the largest natural resources on Earth, they should be one of the wealthiest nations on Earth, but the US state of Texas alone is wealthier.

So when the dust settles and settle it will Russia will almost certainly "keep" Donbas and the land corridor to Crimea. But that's no win for them in the medium and long term. They will have "won" a crated wasteland they can't afford to rebuild, with enough of the population still there hating them for it, no matter how much they try to Russify the place. The rest of Ukraine will be dragged, kicking and screaming if need be, into Europe and the West and will never look towards Moscow again for the foreseeable future, while any Russians with eyes to see will look at Ukraine with envy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Blades are very flexible remember and could easily be bent into a curve to suit the curvature of a pole…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

They can't get western parts for the planes they stole so they are using 'rogue' parts which means the planes are not deemed to be safe anymore by the west.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Incompetent, poor discipline, unwilling to carry out orders or just plan numbskulls.... who knows. If mobilisation is to accrue back in Russia they will need to find some serious mid-rank and SNR rank officials to keep the army intact or it will disintegrate. Cannon fodder is all very well, but even they need direction and orders. Can't see too many 40-50-year-olds being happy being told what to do by a 20-year-old.

Dan.

• Advertisement

I'll not edit my original post at this late stage, but what I meant to say was, even on a flat surface it would be possible to see the blades. To your post, yes the blades could be bent, they weren't in the image shown, and would still stand out.

But, re the original post poster - I didn't mean to disparage him. He's one of the best, most informed posters on here... I was simply responding to that particular post. Just needed to clarify a few things. 🙂

A General Russian mobilisation is going to throw the cat among the pigeons. At the very least it'll be a wake up call. Special Military Operation my arsé.

And, I think mass Russian Cannon Fodder in the chaotic days of WW2 is one thing, in a 21st century Russia it's not going to be so easy. Cue lots of "accidental" friendly fire on officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

the black market for parts will dry up very fast. there's been planes grounded already because engine parts were only made in USA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Communist Russia was a much less forgiving place than Putin's Russia.

It's hard to see how he could return to that level of cohersion and control.

As much as he wants to return to the Soviet Union..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Putin is a megalomaniac, nothing he does is logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Rumor has it that had it not posed a significant threat to his regime ( and himself) Putin would have ordered a general mobilization a good while ago, but while a limited action, even with heavy losses might be tolerated, a full scale mobilization would not have full support, and quite the opposite in fact, outright resistance. So if he is planning this, then his back is surely against the wall with little or no manpower option's left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely incredible when you think back to the initial days and the fact that they banked on, and planned for, a 3 day war, with a two/three week conflict as Plan B.

Well he said that right. If Putin is not stopped here he will keep on going. Death and destruction is all gangsta do. All the while looking on from their mega mansion bunker

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Eventually Russia will run out of missiles, they can't keep this up for another 6 months on a daily basis. They don't have the money to make 1000s more on demand.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement