Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Ulster Bank to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Romero

Quick question I setup a new Current account with my wife with AIB in March and started the process of moving Salary bills mortgages etc over to the new AIB account from Ulster Bank. I spoke with AIB helpdesk a week or two ago as I wanted a small overdraft facility, girl took all our details etc and pumped the info into a automated system and it got rejected as not enough payments into the account having only 3 months of my Salary's going into the new account. Lady said I should try again in a few months.

Just wondering could this affect our credit rating as would it be classed as a rejection of a loan, even though it's an overdraft? I hope it doesn't as I have a good credit rating very little debt Mortgage almost paid off etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I doubt it will affect your credit rating but to put your mind at rest raise the issue in writing to AIB.

If you are not satisfied with the response you can contact -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Thinking of going with bank of Ireland. Looking at the current account requirements is a PDF bank statements good enough for proof of address? Think its been longer than 6 months since Ulster Bank sent me statement in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Got an email yesterday telling me ive six months to close account down needs to be closed by christmas eve

have gone with ptsb as a joint account had meeting 2 weeks ago have had emails and letter from them with new account number but still no new bank cards.

Anyone know how long it takes for cards to arrive?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I applied to PTSB via their app and received a confirmation email to thank me for choosing PTSB and that they’d be touch shortly with my new account details etc. That was April and I still haven’t heard from them. I eventually gave up waiting and went with AIB and received card in the post a few days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

A lot putting this on the long finger if this is to be believed...

Only 220,000 bank customers have switched as Ulster and KBC prepare to shut 1m accounts

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

We've just switched from UB to AIB, a few hiccups but overall went OK. I was a little bit surprised when, during the face to face meeting in the branch, the AIB guy was able to tell me I had a dormant account there. Had a think and it was the free £1 account they gave me in 6th year in '79. I didn't think they would have held onto the info that long. Good job I didn't FO owing them anything !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Tried the useless UB webchat but hadn't time today to call into branch - I see I got charged €6.60 today instead of (I presume) the normal €2 monthly charge. No real changes made yet to any arrangements (I cancelled the one and only standing order I d with UB) so don't know what authority they have to charge me an extra €4.60

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

A dormant account is still one they have to keep tack of so of course they'd have details. In context, this would have been the time that the missing holocaust survivor accounts started to kick off in Switzerland and as usually lots of others jumped on the band waging claiming missing holocaust survivor accounts around the world and not to be left out others claiming lost relative accounts etc... So keeping track of this stuff became a big thing around about then. At a guess I'd say anything from about 1975 that has not been properly closed out is on the books somewhere.

For me the only surprising thing is that the guy took the trouble to dig it... Usually you need to kick it off by doing something like telling them you'd like to deposit some cash in it etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭HBC08

I just had a look there to close my personal,savings and business account with UB (have already transferred everything over and balance is down to zero on all three)

Looks like a pain in the hole and unless they make it a bit easier I might not bother. Is this a silly move or if they are all at zero and closing anyway what difference does it make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It couldn't be easier to close them. There's a button; just click and follow the instructions. They'll apply monthly fees to the empty accounts but I can't see them chasing up the balance owed, to be honest.

Thanks for response.

I clicked on the close option and to someone like me who is allergic to paperwork or admin it looked a lot.

If for example I had to do it for some form or life admin purposes I'd do it but in this case I understand they are closing, my balances are all zero,that's the end of it as far as I can make out.

It seems futile on my part to do the paperwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

I think what was annoying after closing a few recently is that you click on the account and on close but then you have to go back and put in account number manually, so lucky enough I had a printout of the accounts but otherwise you'd have to be noting them down or opening another tab or something, maybe there is an easier way but you would think it would just close the one you clicked on!

You can select the account and then close. It's what I did with three accounts. No noting anything down.

Don't know what I was doing wrong so but I clicked on account and then close and it asked me to input the number of the account I wanted to close. Need to do some more so will see how it works this time.

PS Actually just logged in again there to see, clicked on account, it asked do you want to close account so click again and it brings up a screen where I have to fill in name/address which is fine and then iban or sort code/account number, they are not pre populated with the account I just clicked on to close so either have to go back to previous screen and cut/paste or note down some other way or I am missing something awful obvious!

Are you sure they're not asking for the Iban etc of where any residual funds should be sent?

No, cos that's the next blasted question! So of course I don't have my new bank details here without logging into new bank and it doesn't offer option to pick from existing payee where the details would be so I've cancelled out of it again until I have all my paperwork beside me. I definitely think it's cumbersome.

I got the same as this,I can see many people just not being arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Changed from Ulster to Bank Of Ireland. Applied for the new BOI joint Current Account online, downloaded app.had it fully functional and new Debit Cards received within two weeks. No problems. Rang service providers to change Direct Debits etc. No problems with them. Submitted request on the app to close Ulster Bank account when everything was going through BOI. It was closed and remaining balance transferred as I requested in 5 days. Overall it was a much better experience than I thought it was going to be before I started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Just have to go with the flow, unlikely that most people will have to do this again in their lives. I hated having to do it initially, but when I sat down and got started it worked out much easier than I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭beachhead

Should be ok if you have a decent enough printer without smudges,good colour repro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Slideways

I’ve asked before but now that it’s getting closer I would like opinions please.

live in Australia and have a tenant renting my house in Ireland. Tracker mortgage and there’s not much left to pay off, I don’t quite have that money to spare at the minute though.

The rent gets paid into my UB acc and then direct debits to the mortgage. I tried opening an AIB acc online and I couldn’t get it completed. What’s my options for a bank acc that can just handle the direct debit for the mortgage, her incoming rent payments and my top up funds form oz once or twice a year?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Forgot I posted that but in case people are wondering I just added the PDF statement generated by ulsterbank on my online application to bank of Ireland and there was no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Max1887

Hi there,

I am new here and also forced to switch my account within the next months.

Anyone aware of an automated online switching service? I heard that a German fintech is entering the Irish market. 

Sounds interesting, but I don´t see any bank using it. Any infos on this topic?

Cheers

Is it really needed? I had never switched banks in over 45 years and found switching from UB to AIB simple and straightforward. New account opened, direct debits and payments in all sorted in no time, with minimal effort. Much could be done on line easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭jj880

I see in the KBC thread KBC are waiving fees in the 6 months before accounts have to be closed. Very reasonable and proper order I think. I have just got my 6 month letter from UB. No mention of fee being waived. Can anyone confirm if UB are still charging fees after they give 6 months notification to close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Yes they most definitely are - I was in to argue the point with them but no apology, no change in attitude.

They certainly are and no allowance for the fact that you've cleared most if not all of the balance pending closure. I was a bit niffed by that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭jj880

I have just enough in to pay the 2 euro a month fee but I'll be going in next week to lodge a cheque and close my account withdrawing all cash. They can feck off if they think they are going to charge me 12 euro to transfer my balance to my new account (I've heard they are using something else instead of Sepa for some reason). They are actin like proper clowns now that they're leaving.

Advertisement