Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,051 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They don't educate our children though.

The own the buildings but that's the end of it. I know my own kids school looked for baptism certs but they don't apply that to non Irish children attending the school (a bit of a double standard tbh).

All the teachers are lay people, it's not like the old days of Christian brothers and nuns at the top of the class. I don't think what you're saying has any basis in reality.

As for the Roe V Wade situation, catholics will always oppose abortion but regardless of the number of Catholics in the Supreme Court the majority of Americans opposed to abortion would likely be opposed to catholicism also.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Huh? But the whole point is Trump got three judges on supreme court..."they have Biden and yet Roe V Wade was overturned" nothing Biden can do currently.

Thomas shouldn't be there in a million years giving his wife's actions alone.

Is he going to go after the Loving v Virginia ruling....he should at least be consistent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I genuinely don't know if you're taking the piss out of me here?

All that has changed is that they're not allowed to deny admissions to non Catholics. Everything else is the same, especially the hours upon hours of teaching of Catholic dogma. A dogma which forbids abortion, contraception, homosexuality, sex outside marriage, and divorce.

The Catholic Church has not gone away. They're just regrouping and rebranding. They're toning down the child raping and baby selling which is a good thing but we have to make sure they continue on their path to irrelevance.

°°°°°

In me experience my own two kids barely have a notion of Catholic dogma, my daughter who was with us an anniversary mass for a relative who died last year didn't have a clue what was going on in church and she's ten years old.

The notion that the catholic church are regrouping is odd to me because they're really taking they're time about it if they are.

They own a HUGE amount of property in this country and a lot of it is related to the education and health care systems but they're losing the control they had, they have pretty much zero social influence and any time their ownership of hospitals etc comes into popular discussion the publics disdain is emphatic.

I've got no time for the church but the notion of a regrouping rebranding smarter tougher catholic church waiting in the wings to dig their claws into Irish society isn't even remotely based in reality. It just sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So i guess you must think the majority of the Irish are vile and debased. Actually the mist of the western world. What a sad situation to live in.

• Advertisement

Equally if you think the Catholic Church is just going to sit back and let us be our best selves, then you have not been paying attention these last 1500 years.

Look at the national maternity hospital saga and tell me I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

No, his point was Roe V Wade was based on the American people voting for trump knowing what he was capable of. Yet they voted Biden and Roe V Wade was over turned under his tenure. Right now they didn't want trump they want Biden. The American people wanted a pro choice president. The democratic will was to install a pro choice president. So it being overturned might be democratic but not based on who the president is and the public didn't get a new Supreme Court when Biden came in, so they didn't choose to have it overturned, as suggested by that poster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's a very bizarre line of logic.

Who's in the White House has no bearing on the judges and their rulings. Even if there's an appointment gap, the Senate gets final say on who gets to sit on the bench. I suspect Biden was elected more because he wasn't Trump than because he's pro-choice, but in any case, the people still have a vote, and they can get their State legislatures to protect abortion if they lack the votes at the national level to do so.

°°°°°

You're suggesting that the situation with the national maternity hospital is an indication that the catholic church is poised to take over Irish society?

I'm going to need more than your word on this I'm afraid. So as thing stand, you're wrong and coming off like a paranoid oddball, something I mean in the least offensive manner possible.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just when you thought Ian Paisley was a goner, this lad pops up.

• Advertisement

Head scratching stuff.

How can women makeup 50% of their population and allow this to happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

It’s a crude way to put it for sure, but within the context of discussion about a woman’s right to “control her body” its not an invalid point that at least some of that control is there before pregnancy occurs.

Take over? No

Influence as much as they possibly can? 100%. It's literally their stated reason to exist.

Honestly, based on your contributions here, I'm very glad you find me so objectionable.

If you're talking about Paisley's disdain for the Catholic Church, then 100% .

Listen, if you think child molesters should get a pass if they have a collar but people should burn in hell for being gay, that's your business but it's no basis for a modern society.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,753 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Agree 100%. Not enough alphas being produced these days. Too many betas. Look at Trump. He's an alpha male and all his followers are betas. Like all those Republican politicians. They do what he says.

We need to produce more leaders. We aren't getting them out of colleges.

I don't, I don't think the Catholic church do either, these days. I also don't think kiddie fiddlers should get a pass if they're wearing make up, a dress and 5 day stubble. Nor do I think that kids should be thought that men and women are interchangeable. So given the likes of Roddy O Gorman and Ivana Batshits enthusiasm for such guff, I rather have the church running schools, thanks

Paisley didnt have disdain for the Catholic church, he was an actual bigot, who hated it everything Catholic. Still nice that you see yourself at Paisleys level.

"I don't like the system when it doesnt deliver the outcome that I want"

I actually laughed at your use of "these days". Leopards and spots chief.

Look, if you want to believe that gays and divorcees are going to hell and that you're going to spend eternity strumming a golden harp on a cloud, that's fine. Imposing it on everyone else, as is official catholic policy, is not fine.

RBG's idiocy is on RBG and RBG only. She wanted some silly "historical first" where a woman on the supreme court would be replaced by a woman selected by a woman president. There was denial at first that what she did was stupid, then it was accepted but I've seen articles in the last 2 weeks defending her ridiculous stance. Acting like principles matter when the other side are willing to do anything to get their way.

The GOP will drop a point or two for a couple of weeks or months, then they'll be back to where they were. And there's one argument that the GOP will have going forward; we did it. Not "Build Back Better" or "Yes We Can" aspirational bullshit. We did it. It took 40 years and all sense and fairness and most logic made it seem impossible to many people but they did it. And that's what they'll point out, agree or disagree with it but they did it.

°°°°°

Who said I find you objectionable? Why the need to engage in ad hominem's? I did say you were coming off like a paranoid oddball, I wasn't saying you are one. I'm sure you're usually a rational person but the argument you're presenting isn't rational.

What your proposing has no basis in fact. I've no time for the church either but you're putting forward a scenario that doesn't hold up to the most basic level of scrutiny.

Of course an institution like the catholic church wants to influence as much as they can, but they have no means of expanding their influence in modern Ireland, them wishing they could expand their influence doesn't mean they're going to. I wish I could win the lotto, it doesn't mean I'll be driving a Bentley any time soon.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

$15k would be a bargain, the most recent stats I could find are from 2020 and in most states it costs upwards of 20k for a complication free vaginal birth. Extras like an epidural, gas and air, skin to skin, delayed cord clamping and c-sections would all incur additional costs.

I did see an interview recently with a woman who had triplets over there last year and only for the fact that she had insurance, her bill was over 1.5 million dollars as two of the babies had to spend some time in the NICU after delivery, and surprise surprise, they charge extra for that too. I believe her contribution came to around 50k after insurance.

I’m not sure about you, but I can’t imagine many people having a spare 20k on hand to cover that kind of expense.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/cost-giving-birth-in-united-states/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Private Catholic schools in the US are often of a higher standard than the public ones. No wonder so many good lawyers and judges are Catholic.

Even the President is a Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Maybe you should provide evidence of your statement

There is no other reason why Florida would banned match books, the decision was made to protect children and families

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Evidence goes the other way here. They want to ban books then they should point out the bits they don't like.

Hard to defend an entire book when we don't even know the bit you are complaining about. Lol at protecting children and families though.

You don't seem to know what Catholic beliefs are, which is quite funny given you how strident you are about them

Before we even get to that though, you don't know the difference between a belief and a policy. Might have a bit of growing to do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Well, then don't ask me for evidence, clearly i'm not the one who reviewed the content of the books. Do your own research and find out

The reasons why the books were banned have been made public, they contained CTR. if someone comes here and says otherwise it's on them to provide counter arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

I have a bridge to sell you then. Totally mine to sell. No need to look at evidence it is mine.

What you are saying is that you don't have a clue why they are being banned but are happy to take it faith. You say CTR like it is a drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Articles that I've seen said they were "themed" maths books that used examples like gender pay gap, race, climate change, vaccines etc.

So instead of calculate what time two train comes from Heuston, it might be something like Dolly is paid less than Bob because she is a woman. Calculate how much less she receives for the same work.

In an Irish-language school every subject is taught through Irish. I guess in a leftist school every subject is taught through leftism. I would be interested to see what leftist geography looks like for the novelty value.

Of course DeSantis was right to step in and ban this stuff. A maths books that's about maths and not about politics will do just fine.

The public schools are paid for by taxes and not every parent wants their child turned into a politically correct fanatic snarling that women have been cheated out of money.

°°°°°

Your problem is that you're being rational.

You need to go into a blind rage and accuse anyone who disagrees with the topic of being a racist or 'phobe of some description.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What a really stupid thing to say, you must live in a weird world to believe any of this tripe. You making the claim it’s being used as a form of birth control…you best back that up with some stats or evidence, because you know full well it’s not true.

Abortions are not used as a form of BC, you must have ignored the stories during the 8th of women and families who had no choice to do it based on medical issues, where it would put thr life of the women in serious danger.

But to you, you’ll brand them all as a drunk girl who got knocked up and so she should deal with the consequences.

You’ve literally no clue at all what you are talking about.

Advertisement