Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BoxerX

Hi,

Up to now, I thought Combi boilers did not use a copper tank. Seems I was wrong, so please ignore that comment. As long as you have a copper tank, you can use an Eddi.

Out of curiosity, does your combi boiler feed your copper tank, or is it separate?

I like to learn stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

Ok my understanding of it all is limited :)

We have a gas boiler which is a combi. It's in an out-shed downstairs and tank is in the attic but I guess it feeds it??

There's also an immersion switch/timer near the tank in attic.

Tank is also a combo (Joule twin solar) which I'm guessing is if I wanted direct solar tubes hooked up to it. Whereas the Eddi will just use the immersion functionality to heat the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

@BoxerX Depending on the size of your battery (if you have a battery), you could possibly have boosted the water temperature with the Eddi rather than using the Gas, if the day was likely to fill the battery anyway, and also assuming it has charge remaining.

@fuse I have a Combi, and the very function of a Combi is to instantaneously heat water on demand, off the rising main, sending it straight to the taps.

I have a sort of hybrid system in that I have 30 Kingspan tubes, connected to a 160litre tank (which has an immersion rod in it too). The output of this feeds an Intrsol Combi Mixing Valve, and sends water directly to the taps if over 48°C, or else to the input of the Combi, for heating to 48°C

I believe my setup is very much the exception for Combi's

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

Looking to go solar on a south facing roof. Not bothered with a battery for the moment due to high costs.

Quote below is for a 5.4kw system. Awaiting others....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Thats not great tbh.

A few things, the Huawei gear is good but over priced. Is the Huawei inverter battery ready, you are limited to Huawei batteries with it.

Something like the Solis hybrid inverter is less expensive but a solid unit that accepts various batteries and self build batteries.

Do you need 12 optimizers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 darjon110

Hi All

I have received a quote that I am fairly happy with but theres been a catch

Initial quote

12 x 380 Peimar panels 4.5kw

Eddi Diverter

Solis inverter

BER

€7750 - Grant €2400 - €5350

13 panels from same company €7950 - grant €5550

This is where it gets a bit silly

14 panels €9350 - grant €6950

16 panels €10200 - grant €7800

I queried and was told that is due to a different inverter required

Is this the case as this quote is trough an electrical supplier

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Hard to know without the specifics of make/model of inverter. I can think of some scenarios (around vMax input) on a single string which is 600v and you'd need to have a dual string inverter to go above 13 panels......but I'm speculating a little.

I don't think you are being fleeced though as that 16 panel price is fairly competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

Interested to know if the below quote seems reasonable. I have had other ones for the same job that seem to be coming in higher:

2.4 Kw system

6 X 395Kw panels (Ja Solar)

Hybrid Inverter (So Far Solar 3.0 Built In)

Eddi Diverter & Monitoring

€8,526-€1,920 grant = €6,606 Total

The names on the above equipment don't seem familiar to me from my limited research so far.

Does anyone know if they would be reasonable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

Thanks, I've queried the Solis inverter which they can supply so I'll get an updated quote next week.

I've attached a picture of the roof showing the shading at 11:30 in early May. The only shaded area is the lower right hand corner so possibly only 1 optimiser would be required? This roof was still in sun until 7pm on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 trelkrub

I got a quote for 12 panels for just slightly more than that! (See my last post) however it didnt include a hybrid inverter. Maybe i missed something, is a battery included here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

Battery not included, looks like my quote is a bit high.

I have about 4-5 quotes so far and none of them are coming in with a great price tbh

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Solar for sure, maybe battery, depending on how big you go with the panels (Regarding FIT, Its very up in the air right now, so Hard to judge.)

As your condensing oil boiler is practically new, Heat pump is practically out the window. (for now anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bakka

Getting my ground mounted system installed next week. Will let you know how it went. I went with a 9.1kw system in the end.

20 Ja Solar 455W instead of the 22 Ja Solar 370kw ones. The 455 W ones are silver edged on the sides, but as I am installing a ground mounted system this isn't an issue.

I am getting a: 9.1kw ground mounted system with a BER rating included, wifi dongle, 6kw Solis inverter all ground works included for a brilliant 7645 euro after the grant

Will keep you posted how it went.

I can only assume that you've the 6kW inverter on the NC6 and you're adding a secondary 4kW out of sight !!!

Have you use for all of that power, or massive battery bank, or both ? On a half decent day, you'll be generating some amount of power

Will be getting an ev in the next year. Huge electric usage as 5 in the household with 3 at home all day WFH.

A laptop and external monitor is only about 150w per person. You've some serious other guzzler.

And it's pointless sizing PV for car charging. Since you can charge at night anyway, the effective saving is only about 10c per kWh. The cost of the extra panels will far exceed that

I hear you championc. It's just that I am getting such a ggod price I can't refuse it. Down the road I can add a battery or perhaps I'll have 2 ev's in the house. Go big with the panels at installation was my thinking.

Maybe look at the 10kW DIY battery thread. A 20kW battery would match in nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,469 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That's a great price.

I've seen quotes for a third the size for a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

@Bakka

If I got that price for my install, I'd bite their hand off. For sure if makes sense to reduce our consumption. So find your power hogs so you know where they are. And hopefully FIT pays a half-way decent amount so you're quids in.

I will be charging my EV from PV as much as I can when there is spare (will only work in the sunnier months of course). Unless of course FIT pays higher than night rate and then I will charge the car at night. Our car is the largest power usage we have, so why not look to partially fill from PV?

Good to see someone getting a deadly install rate.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that DC999. Will let ye know how it all goes next week. All I need now, is for the sun to shine. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1 padwan81

I got the attached quote last year. Personally I thought it was excessive.

Post edited by DrPhilG on

Yep, sounds like you are buying the scaffolding with the kit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

LOL - I thought that also when I read it......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Would love to see the ground mount. I have to go this route myself due to roof shape.

Very similar set up here with work from home, someone is here all day with heavy use. I'm using over 9500 kw a year. Most of that is day time use as we are gone to bed by 9 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 45,469 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Extremely excessive.

4 kW inverter

4.4 kW system

5 kW battery

For over 11k after grant? That's gouging plain and simple. Maybe a 20-25 year payback on that price.

You should start from scratch and get more quotes seeing as you posted a quote from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DieterDicht

Hello,

I am live since last week and can only recommend to every one thinking about it to go ahead.

I have the following:

18 x 400W Trina panels

1x Hybrid inverter Sofar 6KW

3x 2.4KWH Dyness batteries including cabinet

1x Zappi car charger

Cost in total around 13500 Euro before grant. I know there is a shortage with everything and prices are going up (might come down again). EV is on order and even so I am sitting in the wet west, the system is kicking out plenty of juice. I am sure it will be different in winter, but it will make my A2 rated house into A1. And I am helping the planet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Class, that's positive news for all of us still waiting on an install to happen. Or waiting to agree a price with a supplier.

To me, solar is a thing of beauty on a roof!! Your install is very easy on the eye. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well done @DieterDicht

Nice system and a good price. I presume your EV is going to be home during daylight hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DieterDicht

No the EV will be parked at my employer during the day and thankfully they provide chargers for EVs. But hopefully it will be parked during the day at my house once I am retired.😎

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement