Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Like the look of this one. Tis a really beautiful looking ship and bang up to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Some of the Russian ships look pretty mean, but they are soft as sh1t3. Cant just go with looks Jonathon.

If it's good enough for Jonny German it's good enough tor the Irish Navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I'm with Johnny here. Damen make mighty fine ships, and the Deutsche marine have not been found wanting when it comes to frigate design in the last few decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

You do know how much of a shambles German naval procurement has been for over a decade right? Not exactly the best go to option of the Eurofrigate designs, or you know utterly outsized for even the most ambitious view of LoA3.

They've put all that behind em now Sparky with this beauty! Tis the best naval ship that's come out of Germany since the Bismarck in my opinion.

Procurement is one thing, but there is nothing wrong with design.

Which in itself was an outdated design that had serious design and operational issues due to the limited knowledge German designers had because of their ship building holiday post WW1. Basically none of the German surface fleet in WW2 were highly capable or really worth the costs, it’s just the RN was so thin on modern ships that they were able to exploit that.

As to the MKS 180, come back when they are delivered and accepted on time, spec and on budget and proclaim their problems are over. The FREMMs and their stepsister the Constellation class will have far more units built by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Surely the war in Ukraine has shown ships are not the way to go, a big investment of people and materials that is nullified in seconds.

Well the Brits haven't exactly covered themselves in glory with the Type 26 with about 80% of them out of service and I'm reading that the 4 Chinese frigates the they sold to (Indonesia?) Causing multiple problems.

Nullified in seconds only because the crew were not on alert, believing their own propaganda that Ukraine lacked the ability to strike them at sea.

That's why we have CIWS, chaff, decoys etc. The Big one was built before the Falklands war, and carried with it, even in subsequent upgrades, all the naval lessons learnt.

No doubt, the Irish navy is far superior to the Russian navy.

… That would be interesting given they haven’t commissioned any of them yet? I presume you mean the Type 45 and their engine power plant issues? Also what do you mean Chinese frigates sold to Indonesia and how would that be connected to the U.K.?

The Ukrainian war hasn’t proven anything like that, the Moskova was a ship built before the end of the Cold War and was utterly compromised from day 1 (both in design and lack of upgrades), add in the systemic issues of the Russian military and it was a disaster waiting to happen. And let’s not forget the Russian Navy is so bad it regularly keeps a tugboat in task forces for when ships break down.

Right now the Irish Navy has no place in a combat war and has never been designed or planned for such as neither the politicians or public wanted to pay for such ships. If we want such capability there’s more than enough friendly nations to help develop the skill sets needed.

The elephant in the room which keeps getting shrugged aside on here is crew, there are no Irish crew for any maritime vessels,naval, merchant etc, young people won't pick it,it's not a lifestyle that is acceptable for the majority anymore, having recently spoken with a naval person who said with the crew they currently have suffering so much from seasickness they have to seek shelter in anything more than a force 3 or 4 or they will have no crew at all,sure combat will be in calm waters, but we need more ships......... without some form of conscription or a plan to hire foreign crew it would be a criminaly incompetent investment,increase in salary isn't working as it just draws people who want the salary but have no interest in the sea and aren't able for it.

Its amazing how other nations manage, wonder what their secret is? Or maybe by your logic it's just Irish people that can't/won't manage?

I based my post on facts and personal experience, you based your reply on??? I am not knocking Irish people (obviously one) I am just saying that other than a maritime experience that involves sleeping in your own bed every night has joined the list of jobs (other than the odd exception) that the general Irish person will not even consider.

I base my reply on the fact that navies across the Western World manage to crew their ships for far more strenuous service than the NS's regular operational taskings. So how is it that they manage but you suggest that Irish people can't/won't?

• Advertisement

I replied with a more detailed reply but I deleted it, we are in Ireland, you obviously can't give solutions when I posed questions, answering a question with a question is a dodge.

Someone is dodging but given how quickly you pivoted from "surface ships are outdated" to "Irish people won't serve in the Navy" in only a couple of posts I don't think it's me. Again plenty of Western Navies have at times struggled with crewing issues, some recent examples have been the RAN and RN having to lay up ships over the last decade. But through a series of changes in working conditions including pay they have been reducing their issues and again that includes operations from smaller ships than ours to more combat intensive ones, and this has happened without "conscription" or "massed foreign crews". The issues that are effecting retention are well flagged and without a doubt are also affecting recruitment, you only need to look at some of the negative social media comments for example to see how they are linked. I fail to see how Irish people and the naval duties they might undertake in the NS are so massively different from other nations. Given your post about the Ukrainian War and then the pivot frankly I think you are just trying to make an argument against the NS/DF no matter what.

Not at all, I honestly don't see how an increase in Irish military forces a hundred fold achieves anything significant , but I find any efforts to increase the fleet scandalous/traitorous given the issues with current staff issues,hopefully sorted soon,but until then, with a crew only fit for bay operation as is the current situation. I reiterate I am not against the ns/df sources, the opposite or I wouldn't be discussing it here otherwise, but I think that people within those services who want to order new vessels vessels costing hundreds of millions of Irish taxpayers money they should be open to prosecution if they push on, with no hope of of Irish passport qualifying crew, if any, Some here dream, some here know absolutely nothing,, I will be attacked, please attack my post and not me, correct me where I am wrong as I mean no disservice,only my observations, I am brave enough to post my opinion,its just that, if others could tell me where the crew (currently less than 100 who don't suffer from severe seasickness from reports , the majority of the best are shoreside due to seniority ,) I suppose if we get a big enough boat it won't have to leave harbor.

Post edited by Widdensushi on

having recently spoken with a naval person who said with the crew they currently have suffering so much from seasickness they have to seek shelter in anything more than a force 3 or 4 

Anyone complaining that crews are suffering from seasickness has never been to sea. Anyone blaming seasickness for why ships are seeking shelter is too far down the food chain to understand what is really happening, and is basically talking nonsense.

Having worked in the North Sea, English Channel and irish sea in varying conditions myself I soon realised that everyone gets seasick, it's just a matter of how you manage it.

Your mate is waffling. Not calling you a liar, but your mate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

Any analysis of the PDF. all Branches, shows that it's genesis was based on the takeover and occupation of land and buildings of Victorian design. It largely took over where the Brits departed and replicated most functions at that time including married Quarters, aerodromes, and certain Naval assets which were whittled down by an ex- Ship's Chief Engineer from 30 craft down to 5 or so. He was a General Vize.

During the WW11 and some time afterward recruiting was from an Ireland struggling with poor incomes, social restrictions in schooling, and tenements and indifferent housing. As time moved on the country prospered and potential recruits were coming from homes with ensuites, holidays abroad, leaving Certificates, digitally aware, into gyms, sports and swimming pools. These recruits still faced largely unchanged Victorian Conditions with little effort to update and add comfort of acceptable modern standards.

It is said that conditions for prisoners of the State are laid down by law while no conditions have to be met for housing Military personnel, and sailors have the additional hazard of the sea both in peace and war.

I spent almost 48 years at sea and sea sickness was never a factor even on those that suffered from it during portions of their voyages. In corvette days I sailed with a C.O. and 2 I/C who both were martyrs to calling Hueey over the side. Both these gentlemen were revered as seamen and served to full retirement age.

Keeping people happy within any service is hinged on CONDITIONS, OPPORTUNITIES, PAY, and enough time off to function socially. Actions that downgrade Services such as closing Medical facilities, Army Nursing, Married facilities begins to make defence organisations inured to family needs and problems.

There is no doubt that pay and incentive grants need to be fair, equitable, and paid across the board for all who go to sea. A principle of equal hazard must mean that all ratings of equal rank receive the same Pay and allowances.

Shortages in crewing, in peacetime, ( remember in war service can be compulsory) might be operationally offset by having the ship all green lights to go and cover subsequent equipment failures by having a technical Support Team available to travel to a next available port, much as Irish lights or Merchant ships do. Tying up ships is bad for morale and weakens resolve to meet operational necessities.

If we are showcasing future naval tonnage keep in mind we have only one base and need to watch overall dimensions of ships. One thing is certain we must up-arm and renew our acquaintance with ASW and MCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Should the location of the possable West Coast Naval Station be chosen for strategic location or the best location that future crew may join

What west coast Naval Station? East cost is planned, but I heard no plans for west coast.

I presume that is in reference to the suggestion in the Commissions report over a future West Coast facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

On the basis that any navy needs a port of refuge to relocate ships during emergencies, accordingly a West Coast station with land route access would be an asset. it would require about 700metres of serviced quay wall with FW, Shore power, and a range of service buildings and workshops. Fuel delivery by 30tonne units should be provided for in access construction.

Advertisement