Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lonely Planet article criticising Dublin as tourist destination ‘doesn’t make for pleasant reading’

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I just use TripAdvisor, where do you think best to get advance info for a trip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,032 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Sure, I managed a number of hotels and venues, all to exceptional standards but of course not venue immune from blibs, I also worked on social media marketing, Booking systems etc. One of my roles including responding to guest feed back, mostly positive, some negative. Initially TripAdvisor didn't allow or facilitate a right of reply and the garbage and indeed exaggerated nonsense to be found on it was startling.

There was and remains on the site, a large cohorts of Trolls, people who post reviews having not even set foot in establishments they are reviewing , even competitor's posting utter nonsense and seriously damaging content. Things have dramatically improved to be fair.

Admitidly this was nearly 12 years ago and controls and verifications at TripAdvisor were appalling then, albeit better now, but not much. Worth pointing out they were forced to change after damaging reports and media coverage over how TripAdvisor operated. Basically TripAdvisor is all about sales, the more positive reviews, the greater the sales using its other services, Bookings etc.

TripAdvisor made it almost impossible to correct misleading information or have it removed, they are not alone I should add.

I'm not saying it's not improved but within industry circles it has little credibility and year after year its been well reported a large of percentage of reviews on the site are, fake, false and actually distructive. It wouldn't have been so bad if TripAdvisor initially had the tools to allow owners, representatives deal with false and misleading reviews.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Morning, TripAdvisor is but one tool and resource to check reviews, there is many. What I tend to do and a little extra leg work needed to get an objective view, is compare reviews on Google, Booking.Com, Trivago etc.

I'm not saying reviews on TripAdvisor are always questionable, they have improved dramatically, verification processes but I look at up to 3 separate sites to compare and contrast reviews . If there's obvious conflicting reviews, it raises a red flag, if consistent, I then make a determination.

Honestly, no review sites are 100% accurate, reviews are subjective , I might like the room in a hotel, you might hate it. Someone might say fantastic views, others will say no windows in the room etc.

What to look out for is Vitriol, Exaggerations are easy to spot but the best way to determine if a review is genuine, wether it be bad or good, look for owner /Management interaction, responses and how they deal with a complaint and indeed good review, this gives a real indication about how a venue is run and managed. Finally look for recent activity / reviews, people sometimes tend not to notice how old the last review was, if there's been no recent reviews, ask yourself why, if I'm looking at a location for consideration in 2022, I'd be a liitle concerned the establishments last review was in 2018 (just as and example), obviously be mindful of Pandemic years to be fair were litter no reviews were posted anywhere. 😏

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Excellent article in the Irish Times this morning, dealing with the Lonely plant article which incidently was authored by a Journalist who's no stranger to Ireland. It delves into other areas of concern, none new, just pronounced this year.

Unfortunately its a subscriber only article so not accessible unless you have a subscription but the Headline gives a sense of the what questions the article poses, Dublin is by no means an outlier in terms of things being so wrong in our hospitality / Tourism sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

15% of all hotel beds are filled with refugees at the minute. I doubt there is a hotel that hasn't been approached already to be block booked yet.

I reckon a lot of hotels are just fleecing whoever they can this year n whenever it dries up they'll sign up with the government. It's not great for the tourism industry long term tbh.

• Advertisement

To be fair the Refugee Crisis is partly to blame admitidly for general shortgages of hotel rooms in Ireland but infact very few Dublin City Hotels are accomodating Refugee's currently, yes at the start (March/April) but not currently.

There are a number of Hotels on the outskirts of Dublin, most notably City West, now block booked for up to two years and perhaps more will be designated in time as numbers increasing rapidly (3,000 more in the past two weeks). I accept its having an effect on over all supply and pricing but none of the Hotels seriously gouging have not seen or accommodated a single refugee and whilst supply and demand of course impacts on prices, it may be vulgar to say this, but some are clearly profiting from the refugee crisis.

The hotel sector is called the hospitality industry, however the Government decided to block book hotels that are there to service what is called our biggest industry. Thesame Government are the parent company of the DAA which is responcible for Dublin Airport where our visitors get the first opportunity to see what Irish hospitality is about.

The hospitaly industry took the easy money for short term gain at the expense of the future of the tourist industry, there should have been a little more thought into the knock-on effect into booking hotel rooms, everything everywhere is priced on the basis of availabity. It appears that we will be a destaination for the rich going forward.

HOSPITALITY?

I don't disagree at all but I think it says more about government policy on Housing and refugee policies than the state the Hospitality sector is in.

To be fair and I don't agree with the virtue signalling irish politicians are at, Government are Bound by the EU directive governing the Ukranian refugee crisis, a directive that is quite possibly the most poorly put together and worded legislation ever constructed by the EU.

Whilst this crisis to an extent relevant, I don't want to stray off topic, theres a separate thread dealing with the Ukrainian Refugee Crisis.

The fact that that people are saying 15% of Dublin hotel rooms is surely part of the topic on the OP in relation to the article on Lonely planet article, i doubt if all the compared cities with Dublin has allowed this to happen. Surely this is part of this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

One thing to note is that the average room rate will be considerably less than the ‘marginal’ rate on the last remaining rooms (the same is true of the rental sector). The problem is that there is so much demand (and refugees and homeless have diminished supply) that the hotel sector is down to its last remaining rooms. As in the housing crisis, this is entirely a problem of under-supply.

• Advertisement

Again I don't disagree but straying into an already contentious issue is perhaps unwise, just a personal opinion, I'm not being critical of you so please don't assume I am, I'm simply saying I do agree it's relevant but concerned focusing on this issue as perhaps the primary cause of what the Lonely planet article addresses is wrong and I won't continue to partake in this thread if it slips into being another thread on the Refugee Crisis, personal choice, not a critism of anyone.

We opt in or out as we choose, we will have to choose if we want to cater for wider tourism, its not happening now.

What do you think will sort it out?

I don't actually know to be honest have an idea, but it's a mess, no doubting that, Bizzarely the predicted global recession will actually have more of an impact in the interim on Tourism generally.

I predicted elsewhere 2022 would be a Tourism wash out, its no mystery why many hotels did deals re refugees, they saw the booking numbers. Oddly there's actually very little tourism taking place it's primarily focussed on Dublin City and specific tourist destinations.

When this particular issue in Dublin City calms down, the damage done will actually create more long term reputational damage, along with the predicted global recession, 2023 wasn't looking particularly positive anyway, I predict no chaos next year because few will actually be coming and I think we can guess what even more hotel rooms will be used for from November onwards. Hospitality sector can't even rely on staycation market as too many were stung when they chose it last year.

I'll go further, 100"s of restaurants will close permanently, many are Already in serious trouble with legacy rent debts, Warehoused revenue and supplier debt, Running costs through the roof and staffing crisis will not be fixed anytime soon.

There'll be a Major new landscape in this sector in the coming three years, much less restaurants, possibly bars too, perhaps a correction long over due but at a minimum there's an even more Rocky Road ahead and Government won't be bailing anyone out. Restaurants particularly are making Hay whilst the sun is shining, so to speak and at a cost to customers. Yes their costs have risen but at a basic level some of the prices being changed, along with new mysterious additional charges, are outrageous.

All of course in my humble opinion 😏

Post edited by Dempo1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Jizique

I am surprised Failte Ireland or whatever Bord Failte is now called hasn't been more vocal on this or on the airport problems, probably afraid to bite the hand of the govt that feeds them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyone else at Pride today? Great buzz around Merrion Square and Capel St, absolutely packed with people of many nationalities and creeds enjoying themselves. Dublin was looking great today.

Gay tourism may be a good option going forward seeing majority Irish people want to holiday abroad.

Great idea and likely get legs when Leo becomes boss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

And you could buy yourself a nice hooker with the money you've saved on the hotel.

Whats a hooker? i suspect something to do with farming and the culchies, like a hooker in the hay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I couldn't agree more. They need to stop treating the city centre, especial the North city central area, as a human dumping ground and drug treatment center.

And the streets and pavements are filthy.

Clean it the **** up especially Dorset st.

They are discriminating against the North side in particular and they are not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭blackvalley

https://www.galwaycitymuseum.ie/galway-hooker/?locale=en there you go .

And apparently there are four different types . so everyone catered for. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Strange that I have been on O'Connell St at all times of day and night and felt perfectly safe. It's always busy during the day and bustling so no danger there.

At night it's a different crowd but still busy. These drunks people talk about? Are they just going around attacking people? Never seen this, people who are drinking are either going for food, more pints or on their way home. They don't hassle people walking down the street.

Same for junkies. The number that are there is exaggerated by people here but they don't hassle people.

Dublin is a very safe city and the statistics bear this out but for some reason Irish people, especially from outside Dublin just love to knock it..

Go on You Tube and watch videos of travel vloggers who have recently visited Dublin and they are all very positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

If AGS did a thing about anti-social behaviour, an army of NGOs the government itself funds would be crying all days over the airwaves and on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 scarke1

We do not live in Dublin any more but were back for the Eagles Concert. So booked a late lunch in an Italian restaurant near Paddy Cullen's near the RDS.

22 euro for a burger which was burnt. 22 euro for a risotto which did not come with the advertised burrata cheese and had to be asked for. home made tiramisu which had no alcohol in it at all, and certainly no chocolate. The place was jumping....the service was ok but we were shocked that it was so popular. Ok maybe it was the concert but it gave me some idea of how expensive Dublin has become and that does not guarantee quality either

Definitely a concert rip off price there as €22 for a burger would not be a normal price for Dublin and it should not be judged by it. Thing is why did you pay it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭pale rider

Dawson Lounge yesterday, pint of Hop House, Guinness and Heineken €19

Same round Clonliffe House €16.30

Dublin is pricing itself out of reach, City very quiet last evening, money for the odd night out it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

I read e16.30 n said not bad!! 5.90 for Guinness in croker yesterday, 6.20 for rockshore- I doubt there's actually alcohol in that rockshore- just yellow coloured water!

A few fellas I know would usually come up the Saturday n stay the night before the match n maybe Sunday night too weren't about yesterday - gone too pricey altogether.

• Advertisement

No for ordering. See those prices on the menu just go somewhere else.

If you must eat there and the €22 burger is burnt then send it back (bet when asked if everything was ok they said "yes fine").

Your probably right and i would likely do the same, anytime something like this happens to me i just want to get out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spontindeed

The Daily Mail showed commuters being violently assaulted on the Dublin DART a few days ago. The breakdown of law and order has made Dublin a no-go-area. Lonely Planet should put Dublin on par with some of the most dangerous cities in the world. I personally don't feel safe going to Dublin. It seems to be getting worse than ever.

Advertisement