Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour issue

• 25-06-2022 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

I moved into a house last December and I'm having a huge issue with one of my neighbours. It is a council property.

I cannot do anything qnd he comes in banging on the noise accusing me of excessive noise. Putting down flooring, decorating etc, when I was putting up a curtain pole he came in roaring abuse at me.

The walls are plaster and I was putting up a picture today and I had to drill a tiny hole to put in a fixing and he was banging on the door screaming again, bear in mind this was 3.30 in the afternoon. The latest incidence any day was approx 5.30.

I am on my own with an autistic son. I'm absolutely fed up at this stage. He has also threatened my dogs too as they barked one night at 9 pm, coincidently at his drunken mate knocking on my door.

I know if I was suffering as a result of excessive noise the council environmental team would deal with it. This is constant false accusations of excessive noise. Would this be considered harassment ?

Is their anything I can do about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Get a real CCTV camera - about €40.

"Install it" so that it covers your front door.

Next time he calls inform him that the camera records sound too.

That the camera is not connected to anything is not something he will know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you the council tenant or is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sorry you are having hassle OP, if you were a 6ft 2 built bloke, you can bet this coward would not come knocking at your door roaring at you. Do you have any male friends, family members who could visit and if you put up a picture for example, see would he say anything.

How are you responding when he comes complaining? I would not justify myself or engage with him. I would tell him you are concerned about his tone of approach and do not want him on your property.

1. Get a ring door bell.
    2. Keep a log, times, dates, incidences, what you were doing, what he said etc why he complained re dogs etc.
    3. Speak to your local Community Garda and ask for advice. Tell them about him coming roaring at you when you do anything and threatening your dogs.

OP look at your tenancy agreement

Probably a clause not to behave in manner to upset neighbour or similar word. Complain to the council tenants liaison officer.

Make complaint in writing keep copies. If they don t enforce their tenants agreement you can complaint to the ombudsman

Even if your work upset him he can't abuse you.there is a way for him to complain to the council too if he is aggrieved

I would complaint Garda too.since last December could be harassment. come in roaring abuse, into your actual house or to door?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Unfortunately the council won't want to know. Speak to the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You'll not know if he does anything to the camera with it being a dummy one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The council won't do much for you - except ask for the name of the garda you spoke to.

That's why you need to complain to the guards. Do it, the next time he threatens you - and every time.

Also speak to a local TD. One who might come from a political party that he would respect.

You are going to have to stand up to him, and do it by presenting yourself with a strong "take no-nonsense" manner about you and a confident tone or he is going to try and walk all over you and make your life hell any chance he gets.

Take absolutely no bullshit. Next time he appears at your door mouthing off, deliver him the message in very plain language, (but without swearing and in a very calm tone) that you have a right to do work to your home, and you will not tolerate any more of his bullying and harassment of you in your own home any longer. Then warn him if he approaches you again, shouting and roaring, you will be making formal complaints to both the Gardai and the local authority. Then shut the door in his face.

I agree you should set up cameras but not dummies. Externally, I have a Ring spotlight camera mounted over my front door that is triggered by motion and automatically begins to record (both video and audio) once someone steps inside my garden gate - but they're not cheap. (Mine cost €300 including installation.)

Internally, I have a couple of Tapo C210s set up including one covering my back garden, and in my opinion, they are practically as good as the Ring camera, even though the one covering the back garden is recording through glass - but at a fraction of the cost at only €30 each. They record onto microSD cards and you can view them on your phone via an app and set them up to record on a schedule or to be motion triggered to record any activity - they also pan and tilt so you can have different views. (Handy for keeping an eye on your pets, too, which is what I originally got them for). They have an external version too, the Tapo C310.

AFAIK You do have to tell the neighbour when they are being recorded once they cross over your boundary, so be sure to advise him of this.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Speak to your Community Garda, they can be very helpful and might just have a little word in his shell like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement