Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Acequion, I'll never forgot us coming home from Italy one year and seeing all the fields around the airport totally flooded when plane was landing, everyone on plane couldn't believe it.

When we collected our luggage and went to get a taxi, none of them were running, they had all stopped coming to pick people up.

We could believe it, all tourists were just stranded. Lucky for us we live nearby and had family members who picked us up but I'll never forget it.

I'd say that was about 13 years ago, roughly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Winter has finally arrived after not arriving in Winter.

Wind, 10c 80kph winds 10mm of rain so far today.

Good days got to 15 8 lead but now 15 10 and could be a close finish. Warm days are 5 20 behind now.

Sligo Stats only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Temp in Galway 11 degrees wind gusts at times up to 82km like a winters day in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

I've had many a rough landing back into Ireland but yesterday was right up there with the worst. In Kerry you have a short walk to and from the plane but it's in a very exposed location and in inclement weather you'd be soaked to the bone which I was yesterday in my summer dress. As you walk to passport control you can see the people queuing to depart on the turnaround flight and the expression of sheer delight on their faces to be getting to fcuk out was a picture in itself. Along with their amusement as witnessing the arriving passengers emerging from the sun to the freezing deluge.

Ye are indeed lucky there in Dublin,appledrop, because it's beyond dire here in Kerry, currently 12 deg and lashing. 😲 Someone said earlier they're starting to think about Christmas, I think I'll close the blinds and do the same. Until I get away again!

I never mind Irish winters, it's the "summers" I've a big problem with.

Wind gusting 60kmh in Arklow

The few heavy showers passing over last about 2 mins each

High of 16.2c

Just 1.8mm rain so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A decent day today in Meath despite the unsettled forcast, dry and relatively sunny. Unsure if it rained here last night or not as I was in Dublin and there definitely was no rain there last night. The ground here still seems bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Absolutely dreadful afternoon in Cork, currently 10 degrees 🥲

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was 11 to 12C here much of the day here around Tralee but a noticeable increase to 13.4C this evening. Windy and wet for much of the day and cant remember feeling so cold in June out by the coast. Had boots long sleeve shirt, hoodie and jacket running around town and never felt over warm.

10mm since 09.00 in the manual gauge.

EDIT: Fire lit.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Blustery but warm and sunny all day in Portmarnock. Very sporadic showers. Not sufficient enough to even wet the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Could be a fair drop of rain across eastern and south-eastern areas of the country later tonight which will bring the dry spell to a close here.

A fair bit of rain to come over the following 24 hours but especially overnight tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Well I like to stay positive about the weather but this afternoon/evening in Castlebar is like November.Dark wet and windy. The only positive I can think of is that im not in Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

I hope so, less than 5mm here on the Carlow/Kildare border over the last two days so still in dire need of some decent rainfall.

Wasn't a bad day at all here, bit windy but pretty much sunny with no rain and a high of 17.8C.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Yet another disgusting rain filled day in Cork City

Utter sh1te weather here as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Same in Meath. At an outdoor event all day. Bar one heavy shower around 2p.m for a few mins it has been a dry day.

Family in the West sick of of rain last two days. Saw footage of some groups climbing Croagh Patrick today. Miserable conditions.

This trapped low is a disaster for Ireland. I don’t think anywhere in Europe, maybe anywhere else at all, gets summer days with rain all day and temperatures of 10C. How can there even be cold air like that in June, nearly July. Where is it coming from?

im unlucky to have left Dublin this week, and it’s really dire down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Terrible day all day in East Clare...i was up Galtymore earlier today, I have never felt wind like it, my God !!

Looked nice in Croke Park and Glastonbury looks wonderful...damn jealous....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Without being glib.. I suppose it comes from the cold North Atlantic

The Air that is coming in from the Atlantic has origins from the centre of Greenland with upper air temperatures close to freezing level, that is why temperatures in parts are struggling to reach 10C during the daytime. This is a very cold airmass for the time of year and it has also affected parts of northern Spain and Portugal with temperatures in some parts similar to the lowest values over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Today's T850 anomaly chart, illustrating just what was explained above. What goes up must come down, so further east there is a warm abomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This morning was notably chilly at 7.30am, sunny though and bit by bit the cloud cover built up. It held dry till around 5.30pm then spitting rain, though the breeze dried it off as quick as it landed. Since around 7pm it got more steady and a right old wet and windy night out there now. Awful fare for a Saturday night at the back end of June. Cold again. It did hit over 15c as a max earlier today though - and even that is pathetic for this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yes Danno, it is properly throwing it down in the Midlands now.

Absolute sh1tehawk weather. One thing is for sure, no one except Scots would invade us or be planted here. Sweet baby Jesus it's a MichaelD clusterf*CK disaster out there tonight.

Post edited by An Ri rua on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Lashing rain and very windy in Waterford this morning, fingers crossed the morning quickly improves for the runners, stewards and supporters at the Waterford Viking Marathon 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

July might just settle down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Lashing rain, breezy and about 11 - 12c here in Donegal.

Just your typical Summers day for us up here then...

Actually looking at the latest radar we might get a reprieve for the afternoon, worst of the weather and rain seems to be clearing eastwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wind wind and more wind, miserable out there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Weather at 1 there now talking about maybe a high coming in from next Sun/Mon. So people writing off the summer and throwing their toys out of the pram might yet enjoy some fine weather😉

There are signs things will quieten down and warm up around the 2nd week of July. The current 42 day ECM extended looks great for second half of July and first half of August. Fingers crossed it verifies to some extent because summer hasn't really started yet properly. We're used to summers starting off fairly decent but descending into an unsetled mess by the time we get to August, perhaps this year it could be the other way around.

The dry spell came to an end here in Meath last night with plenty of wind and rain. Still on the wet side outside so a day to be indoors I think. If the ECM extended verifies I would forgive this entire week coming of cool and unsettled weather if the rest of this summer is an improvement over June.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Another dire morning in Cork City showery windy etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well the weather will get better sometime this summer that's for sure.

Advertisement