Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legislation on price displays

• 25-06-2022 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know if there is any specific legislation on price displays? In particular is there any legislation that says prices must be displayed in Euro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2002/si/639/made/en/print

S.I. No. 639/2002 - European Communities (Requirements To Indicate Product Prices) Regulation 2002

“unit price” means the final price in euro, including value-added tax and all other taxes, for one kilogram, one litre, one metre one square metre or one cubic metre of a product or, in respect of a product mentioned in the first column of the Schedule, the final price in euro, including value-added tax and all other taxes, for the number of units specified in the second column of the Schedule opposite such mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Any idea if that applies to price tags on items?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I can't see why it wouldn't apply, the price tag is displaying the unit price, which must be in euro. Could be a shelf edge label somewhere with the full details maybe and the price tag has lesser info?

well my issue is that the price tag was in sterling only which I didn't until the assistant at the till pointed it out. I just seen the number and assumed it was euro. They then said they had to convert it to euro using a rate that is wildly different from the real rate. i think there has to be something illegal about that but I want confirm what legislation covers it before I take it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

They can use a rate of €50 to £1 if they wish.

If it was a one-off item, then there's no legal route to go as things get through cracks and people can always take off price tags.

My guess is this is either M&S who use about €1.45 exchange as they add "Paddy Tax" or TKMaxx who also add a large "paddy tax" premium.

But nothing you can do as it's "invitation to treat" at the till and they offer it at a price and you decide whether to accept their offer or not.

Even if there was a EUR price of €28.95 on it and they say €38.95, there is nothing you can do as a display price does not form part of the contract.

You can complain to the consumer quango and they can investigate and give a warning. But that's it.

• Advertisement

which is why I asked for links to legislation. It is nothing to do with invitation to treat. It is about legality of displaying prices only in a foreign currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

That would most likely be treated as there was no price displayed in first place.

You can report them but that's as far as you can take it.

Do you really think that there would be legislation that states "cannot be displayed in foreign currency"

Get over it. It was an oversight. You were not forced to buy it.

Far far more important things in the world to get worked up about.

Btw, if you buy something for €20 and handover a €50 note, there is no legislation that will force the retailer to give you any change.

Consumer behaviour ensures you get change and similarly consumer behaviour means goods will mostly be priced correctly

I remember when Debenhams were around. They used a €1.60 exchange rate. I refused ever to buy from them - even when I was back home in Northern Ireland. They were pricey in sterling, they were a ripoff in euro, consumer behaviour ensured they collapsed.

Post edited by macvin on

Op see https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/pricing.html#l47037

should be in euro. Can be in other currency too

Strict laws re price display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Btw, if you buy something for €20 and handover a €50 note, there is no legislation that will force the retailer to give you any change.

Apparently not according to this from the link above -

Traders are not allowed to display a price that is false or misleading under the Consumer Protection Act 2007. If a trader makes a mistake and the actual price is more than that displayed, you must be told the correct price before you pay. The trader does not automatically have to sell to you at the lower price, however, they must correct the mistake as soon as possible. It is an offence for the trader to knowingly charge more than the price displayed.

• Advertisement

yes there is. if he accepts 50 for a product costing 20 he is obliged to give change.

At the risk of derailing my own thread there is no such obligation. This has been discussed here many times before.

Then he would be committing offence if he accepted the 50 for something with price of 20 on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is this any help ?

I think that if a seller cannot provide change of the note tendered by a buyer the buyer has the option to cancel the transaction. The seller is not entitled to unilaterally retain the excess over the amount involved in the contract of sale.

He is indeed "obliged" to give change as he would be out of business, but there is no LEGAL obligation to do so.

I assure you I know exactly what I am saying.

Not everything requires a "law".

And yes there is a legal obligation to display prices, but at the same time it will be accepted that there can be an oversight.

You need to understand "reasonableness" and how that is applicable on day to day issues.

Nope. Again someone who does not understand the legal transaction happening when you are buying something in a retail setting.

Retailer says he/she will offer you the item for €20. You are effectively counteracting that offer with an offer to pay €50.

That's the strict legal process. But as I said above, you'd be out of business very quickly if you did not give change unless you had a monopoly.

Dublin bus or a toll express lane are examples. Give a €5 note for a €2 fare and no change is given. Put €4 into a toll bucket for a €2.50 toll and no change is given.

Advertisement