Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

At 700 your into buffer feeding all year …2/2.5 t meal plus. And longer calving spread ….no bother if u don’t mind it and if done right can be profitable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I spent months doing homework on milking 50-60 cows. I ended up not going ahead but will look at it again in 2024 when I’ve access to more ground.

I could be wrong but TAD looked the most straightforward way to start off, then graduate back to OAD

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ginger22

Looks like she is working hard for you, paying her way.

BTW I see in this weeks journal Moorepark have dropped to 16 litres, 1.5 Kgs solids. And this is what we are supposed to aspire to.

Still doing 26 Litres here on 2 Kgs meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

OK I wish I could get a bit of land to rent beside me..what would total area be accessible around the parlour.? Would you consider going full time dairy if you had the scale.?

At the end of day milking cows isn't rocket science either so wouldn't worry about that, interest an openess to learn far more important than experience.

We have a very traditional black and white herd originally mostly British friesan, run of the mill herd father Would never have concentrated on milk really. About 50/50 holstein now been using the dreaded high ebi bulls for last few years. They did around 375kgs Ms last year, will be in around the same this year maybe a shade more.400kg plus easily achievable I think.Good jex will do 425-450kgs oad easy enough..but I get good money for calves and cull cows so slow to make the change, but a few jersets are tempting.

• Advertisement

The reasons here were I didn't feel we could reach the scale for me to leave work..ie I don't see a future long term sub about 80 cows..father was unwilling to take a step back and lease land out, drystock is waste of time from what anyone tells you, cows and facilities were there to keep milking..tad was unsustainable so we said we'd give it a go.

I thought long and hard about going off and leasing a farm to milk on and use home farm for heifers, but there were what seemed like possibilities of getting land adjoining home farm, but they are not available now. I suppose I hadn't the nerve either being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Your missing the single most important aspect about this bull, he is/was one of the top proven holstein bulls for health traits/pl, its what my whole breeding strategy is based on here, using immunity plus semex bulls and wws bulls with high dwp, its my number one criteria for bull selection, after that positive dpr, plus for milk good solids and type..

His pl (productive life)score is 6.6, yamaska is 2.4, granted he is negative on dpr but his high pl and health traits point to cows that will last but might take a extra service

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You milking year round jay?

Imo not a bull for our a+b-c payement structure …..too much water .his linear /type scores a negative too .no issue giving cows some tlc but I feel that type of bull will need a lot ….I’d take a Yamasaka ,,,Larry ,altalawson or a praser over it

Yeah I am, suits the farm here to be honest we can grow alot of grass in the summer, but if we get awet winter/spring combined 60% of the grazing block mighten be got onto from the middle of October to middle of April, its untrafficable, so I concentrate on making good silage that's usually in the diet for 8 months of the year and we would have maize in the tmr from October to May aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

They’d need an awful lot if feeding just for maintaince let alone produce 700 kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

No I'd not be going dairy full time cos my off farm job is excellent and I'm not in a great area land wise.

I'd say if I mentioned it to the father he'd combust cos we're just after filling in the pit in our own parlour!!

Ah maybe it's more a dislike of sucklers and drystock rather than a love of milking is prompting me in this direction. There would be zero capital outlay needed is the helpful factor then on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I'm in a similar situation @trg . Considering it strongly with the option of oad. Capital input would be only a parlour. Housing, paddocks in place. Would have the option of going partime with work.

With the current environmental regs as proposed, it has the potential to reduce the output in some areas. Does it provide an opportunity with 80 cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I'm using Nacash for extra kgs of milk and strength in my herd , some fabulous heifers off him. Also using pimorin and okeanos for higher producers I just want a bit more solids off. I don't believe in immunity plus jay, just a salesman trying to have an edge. Health is generally down to good feet, legs and type plus good vaccination and diet management. Have some really great muchos in the herd too. Cows currently doing 28litres 40% autumn

I dunno would I be taking on the extra work if you have good off farm career but I totally see where your coming from with the sucklers, I had no interest in converting to that even though plenty of the neighbours advised me, sure you'd be aswell off with the few sucklers and your job..

If you could get a reliable milker say for 3 mornings a week it may be viable at say 60 cows if you could milk that many.

It's the spring calving where I feel the pinch here, especially if facilities aren't top notch. You need somebody around full time really I think

Unless op really really wants to go milking cows I’d steer clear ….labour and reliable labour is a huge issue and from what has been outlined it’ll be needed …..beef farming ….contract rearing in conjunction with a job a better fit imo

I'd probably agree with you to be honest, without my father at home keeping an eye on things I don't think any type of dairying is compatible with a job.

Neighbours of mine are hosting the Irish Pure Friesian open day on 21-July: https://thatsfarming.com/dairy/grenan-pure-friesian/

Top cows and sensible men.

Their places bounds ours. I’ll go along for a look but will leave the cheque book at home just in case I’m tempted 😀

What's a genetically proven more heritable trait health our fertility, riddle me this also is it a Irish bull our international bull that's the highest valued on health traits in Ireland currently on the ebi system....

Re the salesman dig, I've never bought a bull of a rep that he's recommended pick my own sires give him the codes and he imports them, the single biggest dig aimed at holstein cows is their soft, always something wrong, don't last etc if you breed specifically for health traits while keeping other indexes to the fore also you can't go to wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Used bungees on a farm I milk at to keep it closed but got a new lid this year and no hassle with it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Would anyone milk 3in2 here see its a big thing in NZ especially from around now after breeding and into the summer change the milking pattern so youl have a lie in every second morning and no milking that evening. I was away abroad for a few weeks left dad do the milking had an ad up on donedeal for a few weeks looking for a milker for 5-7 milkings a week whatever milkings they wanted to do and still got no replies, thought during summer thered be some young lads mad for milkings 50€ for 2 hours hard go wrong but no lads arent there to do it, 3 in 2 would take pressure off lads and just reading on the NZ research only losing 9kgs ms/cow for the year from now on? Would be interesting to do it but hard trial or get the father to trial when you see theres nobody else in Ireland doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 22 solomien

Have been 3 in 2 here since start of year mostly for labour reasons, trailed it end of last year as well. I can't give you any exact figure of where we are % reduction production wise because there has been a few other variables this year. Currently 1.8kg ms @ 5.1 fat and 4 pr with young herd, cows in great condition and so far repeats have gone well. Milk 6 and 3 then 10 following morning nice to get the slightly later start in morning, worked well in spring got good chance every second day to get ahead of calves etc

Stupid question but do the cows get confused when they’re brought out of the paddock at different times every other day?

Rather than say a regular routine of 7 and 5 every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 solomien

Not really after a week they got fairly into the routine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Why would someone put out slurry today with a yellow rain warning for tonight?

Is it ignorance, stupidity or just couldn't give a phuq attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

To wash it in, bit of ignorance?

Hardly any cavalier attitude to slurry now with the price of N?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ginger22

Latest arrival on the farm last night. A cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

A little bit of all of the above I'd say. Contractors are always busy and you have to take them when you get them alot of the time. I'm getting alot more value from my slurry this year having my own tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭stanflt

Nice addition- I’ve 2 really nice ones coming this week

Advertisement