Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,010 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Off the top of my head; committing women to a life of servitude for becoming pregnant, selling babies, covering up for child rapists, silencing victims. Hiding a mass grave of dead children, (at least one so far).

I was clear it was the organisation, aided by the state. The church should be banned. Never suggested arresting anyone, although there are likely some living senior members guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,806 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The unionists said Home Rule would be Rome Rule and for over 60 years they were right.

Glad you agree this was a bad period. It led to many abuses, and to injustices against non-catholics - but in education and healthcare these injustices persist to this day.

Most of that influence eliminated though? Politically, yes as recent referendums have shown. But they still have massive control over taxpayer funded social services. 89% of primary schools, lots of hospitals, and the new fully taxpayer-built NMH is going to be handed over to a catholic-controlled private company. Also the majority of taxpayer-funded disability services are delivered by catholic church organisations. Churches have always preyed on the vulnerable.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

They... they couldn't possibly be fibbing, could they?

Lying for Jesus a.k.a. "mental reservation" was a concept inadvertently, during an RTE News broadcast, revealed to the general public by Cahal Daly years ago. Ever since then, it's difficult for non-true-believers to take any statement of fact from a bishop, priest, or even enthusiastic lay person, seriously.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I don't agree that any religion should be banned, that makes us no better than the worst abuses under the Soviet Union or Communist China.

What needs to be banned in a religiously equal a.k.a. secular (which is not the same as non-religious) society is a religion using taxpayer-funded services to promote or impose their beliefs upon citizens who seek education, healthcare, etc.

• Advertisement

For the second time, the organisation. Not the religion, not the followers. The organisation. They oversaw the secret mass burial of children in at least one area, the selling of babies, the protection of child rapists, the committing to a life of servitude for becoming pregnant, they lying about all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭jmreire

Of course, and make sure that the men who caused these pregnancy's, and the families who committed these poor girls to the laundry's etc. be identified. DNA testing will go a long way to identifying the people involved. And especially the babies buried in unmarked graves. I'm glad that you mentioned the involvement of the state, maybe they should be banned too? For sure, there were hospitals and doctors involved in treating sick babies who later died under suspicious circumstances?. You do realize that society in general knew what went on in those places? And it was not unique to Ireland either, there were similar institutions in other Country's as well, the UK, Canada, US, Australia. etc. And you can be sure that these kind of places existed in many Country's throughout the world at that time. And they still do, I can assure you, and not run by religious orders either, I've been in them. And they make the Magdalene Mother and Baby homes here in Ireland look like modern kindergarten's, and now that's saying something. These present day Mother and Bay homes are all in Country's where poverty is rife, the same economic place Ireland was in 1922 when the first Mother and Baby homes came into being. They were a handy solution to a problem that the state choose to turn a blind eye to.

In the UK, Canada, US, Australia these Catholic death homes are being investigated as crime scenes.

Not here though. There must be a few culpable nuns left they're waiting to die off, couldn't possibly indict them for their crimes oh no.

No, not especially, but then again my knowledge of Zoroastrianism is pretty limited, I was aware of it, but far from expert. However a quick search ( Thank you Google) reveals the following:-

It began about 600 (?) years before Christianity, in India, and spread from there. It speaks about a Saviour who will be born of a Virgin, a final battle between good and evil in which good will triumph, after which the dead will rise , the earth will be purged by molten lava, in which the righteous will wade through as if it were milk, and the evil will be burned. After this all will be judged , the sinners punished, but afterwards forgiven, and with the righteous made immortal, and live in a world free from hunger, thirst, disease, old age an death. In a world cleansed from the evil one, and made whole again, as it was before the evil one destroyed it. Reminds me very much of Jesus and Christianity.

So you didn't spot that it rose and fell as a religion, it still exists but has a tiny number of followers. Thus is the fate of all religions.

Do you think that the 5000years of the Egyptian pantheon made them feel invulnerable to change and their ultimate extinction ?

• Advertisement

Just a thought Breezy ( 2nd one.... ) in the parish I live in, the priests house, an old building at this stage needs to be refurbished and modernized, so the Parish Council ( predominantly lay people ) started fund raising to cover the costs, which under the present circumstances were pretty high, as per builders estimates. Yet within a relatively short time, then required amount has been exceeded by €65'000, and still rising . Now Breezy, I don't know this would mean to you, but to me, it indicates a pretty strong and healthy Parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The church were always good at grifting in fairness. But 65k is a thousand euro for 650 people.

What church are you going to has that many people or people that wealthy? Far more likely they raised a little bit to help with the fund.

I'll never forget my trip to Montmartre where the church had "quiet praying in progress" signs and then in the same room had 2 shops. And not in a little side room actually have shops built into the main hall of the church.

As far as I can see its still a practiced religion, albeit in vastly reduced nrs in its original form, as you point out. But it lives on in other guises, both Christianity and Islam basically following the same tenets ( but more so Christianity , with its Virgin Birth etc. Remarkable similarities there. And Islam is basically taken from the Old Testament, with a few additions thrown in by Mohammad), But religion goes further back in time than this, cave drawings from the Neolithic period indicate a strong indication of awareness of a deity. ( Catherine Perles , professor of Anthropology, Paris ) who lectured on her interpretation of cave drawings from that time .

So an awareness of a deity is nothing new, and God knows ( literally ) how many " Official Religions" have risen and fallen throughout history.

But for me personally, it all boils down to belief, in Jesus, and his promise that even if the World should pass away, His words will not, they are there until the end of time.

Now I'm happy with this, but also realize that many will regard this as basically bull**t, and that's OK by me, I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone.

No need to bypass the religious orders crimes like pointing elsewhere cancels them out.

I would like accountability. Hold the institutions to account. We can't ban the state, they represent us. We need representation. We can acknowledge the parts played.

Its easier to abuse the poor. Thats why.

Nobody, absolutely nobody, told the religious orders to beat and imprison women, sell babies or secretly create a mass burial ground of babies or protect child rapists. That was all on the church. The state aided and abetted. The priest often accompanied by a Garda to take the girls from their homes.

If any other institution behaved in such a manner it would be shut down.

All the funds were raised from the parishioners voluntary contributions, and admittedly over time, but all things considered, pretty quick. Your " But 65K is a thousand euro for 650 people" ??? I guess you mean €100 x 650 people= €65'000? Anyway, the actual amount estimated by the builders was way than more than €65'000,. multiples in fact, as it's an old building. They ( the parish council ) held different fundraising events, which were very well supported by the parishioners. And at the final count, they had a surplus of €65'000. But even say at a cost of €200'000, shared between 5000 parishioner's would mean a contribution of €40 per person, and shared between 10'000, just €20. So very doable.

What was being sold in those shop's Breezy? in any case, shops for any reason in a quiet area reserved for praying is s big no no. Jesus specifically forbade any kind of business within a house of prayer or temple. Throughout His ministry, the only act of violence attributed to him was when he beat the thieves and scoundrels away from the Temple, saying " You have turned my Fathers House into a den of thieves and scoundrels.

Did I say anywhere Brucie, that I condoned what happened?? And neither am I trying to cancel them out. What I am saying is that it was widespread at the time, and for sure involved more than the Religious Orders involved, big and all as was the part they played. You want culprits ? fine, no problem, but go after them all. And not just with the "They were all guilty" mentality. Go for the adoption agency's, the Banks who handled the cash, in short, each and everyone who had a hand act or part in it. Because, in the cases of adoption, that was big business, and you can be damn sure that non-religious actors were heavily involved in that end of it. And why stop at acknowledging the part the state played in it?? Name names, what was their involvement? And so what if they are dead or alive now? Open up the whole rotten can of worms.

10000 parishioners would you go away out of it. Is it an American mega church you were in.

As for the shop it was selling books and the usual religious nick-nacks like crucifixes and rosary beads. I was wrong though to say Sacre Coeur Montmartre as the shop there is in a room to the side of the main hall but has all it's wares displayed in windows in the main hall.

It was Notre Dame that had them right in the main hall. People praying to the sound of the "money lenders" tills ticking away in Frances 2 great Basilica.

Also Notre Dame won't allow women to have bare shoulders which is weird and a bit retrograde especially in a country that has laws banning burkas.

Any adoption agency should be banned from practicing adoption if it was doing something illegal. Any bank that that breaks banking law in a major way should face the same. Add to that any organization that raped loads of kids and buried more in septic tanks probably should not be allowed to still run schools.

Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bit of a mistake picking nasty oul Judas as one of the twelve, who would go on to be the first ever ‘cancel culture’ actor.

You forgot to mention the role of the Church as Patron of the schools, appointing the Chair and at least one other board member, and controlling staff recruitment as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

My kids school is like this, they do sweet FA religious education to the point where catholicism is pretty much a mystery to them beyond the most basic stuff.

What's your kids school like?

Glazers Out!

It’s supposed to be a mystery, goes with the territory.

Tell us about the school masses, the nativity plays, the iconography all over the classrooms and corridors, the candidates getting marks for their faith during interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Yeah that doesn't happen these days.

Do you have kids yourself?

Glazers Out!

Lots of other posts here tell a different story. Friends were telling me about skipping to the pub for the mass bit of the 6th year graduation and coming back for the presentations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What difference then, between your beliefs and those that followed Jim Jones or Heaven's Gate? Believing in the unprovable is the essence of cultism; and yes, by that definition, all religions are cults.

If the suicide cults bother you, what about the Unification church?

Never trust anyone who tells you to turn off your brain before listening to his sales speel, especially if you happen to be an under five year old.

You wouldn't put up with it from a used car salesman so why put up with it from a Priest ?

I think its intentionally predatory behaviour - and why the church will fight to its dying breath to maintain control over National schools. If your sucked in as an adult then its your own lookout - but children should be protected from it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I aways find these kind of statement amusing, because they are spouted by people who never for a minute think that perhaps they are the ones that have been drawn in by someone else's BS. And they say it with the same limited perspective as the people they are criticising.

Every opinion I hold was derived by careful consideration of all the facts for and against. So who do you think sucked me in ?

Well a bit more accurate than your " 65K is a thousand euro for 650 people" . I never said what the attendance figures for my parish were.. I used the 10-5'000 figures to illustrate how wrong your figures were. The fact remains that a sum of more than €260'000 was raised very quick, which is proof of a very much alive and active congregation.

• Advertisement

Nope, Judas the traitor. But think about it for a minute, he was essential to the story. No Judas, no betrayal, no capture of Jesus, no sham trial, no scourging, no crucifixion, no resurrection. Personally, that's always how I have seen him.

Advertisement