Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 week wait for dole after quiting & annual leave?

• 25-06-2022 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

will be leaving my job soon for personal & medical reasons, that would be temporary & probably not something that would qualify me for any illness benefits or anything. would be applying for a new job after & hoping to start asap, but if it doesn't go to plan i'm just wondering when exactly the 9 weeks start & if having annual leave due for the 2 weeks after you quit delays that or not.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

The date you're assessed from is the date you official finish up. They expect you to apply for job seekers straight away and they will decide any waiting period then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭vafankillar

cheers, so even tho you're getting 'paid' from work the following week(s) for the annual leave due, should apply then, makes sense i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

It'll be the date on your p45, which will be the date you finish your annual leave. You won't be unemployed until after your leave ends.

Illness benefit is granted based on your prsi contributions, not on the nature of your illness.

Make sure you DON'T qualify before you hand in your notice! ven

But even if you don't qualify, you should apply as you will get credited PRSI contributions.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html#l30369

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Back up folks, firstly there's no longer such a thing as a p45. Secondly illness benefit is related to contributions but does require a GP incapacity cert.

OP, you don't wait 9 weeks before applying for Jobseekers, you sign up immediately on leaving your job, if you don't you affect continuity of contributions. There is a possibility of a 9 week penalty but your situation will be assessed, stress, reasons for leaving etc. I believe the 9 week penalty may be less if you can justify a reason for leaving and also its not that you have to wait weeks for a payment. You could if necessary apply for SWA but its means tested, JSB is not if your eligible which your likely eligible for.

Look at citizens information on JSB and rules etc.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Apply for illness benefit as soon as your annual leave is finished. Your GP has to certify you as unfit for work.

i dont think my GP would certify me as unfit tbh, will probably be taking about weeks off before hoping to find somewhere new, but just incase things didn't go to plan, was wondering if the annual leave counted or not, will apply anyway when the time comes & see how the asessment goes

In reality you should apply once your employment ceases completely, there is no point in doing anything until then and particularly when still being paid by your employer.

Normally someone in a situation who's unhappy for whatever reason gives notice, gets a final payment to include outstanding holiday pay etc and then applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

The 9 week disqualification rule rarely applies....increasingly seeing lot of customers qouting mental health reasons, bullying etc as reasons for quiting jobs....give a good reason and officer has discretion to award immediately

so doctor has giving me cert cover 13th august to 3rd of september for illness benefit, applied thursday after doctors sent in application that afternoon.

never applied for any social welfare stuff before but anyone shed light on what happens next or if i should get backpaid for this week next week? should i get a phone call for more questions or is that form and doctors cert usually enough?

Advertisement