Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Gun: Maverick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Saw this yesterday, didn’t care much for the first half, was great hearing the original top gun music at the start, loved the original.

second half of the movie flew by and was entertaining, all the new actors are rubbish to be honest.

was better than I expected, popcorn for the brain, not much to think about but plenty of cool stuff to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

I know they mapped waypoints but the footage shows them doing this practice down a canyon, which would make alternative waypoints very hard to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Its not illegal to have rotten taste in movies 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

Sending in a drone to take out the enemy target would have made for a much less interesting movie.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Everyone in the world is wrong and corrupt except me? Wish I had your self confidence.

Fair enough if you didn't like the movie, ain't no sin, but it's a weird flex to decide everyone else is not just wrong, but probably took the shilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If the movie had more planes and less of everything else it might have been only half bad but as it is it’s all bad.

Best line in the movie “the mission has been moved up”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm still awaiting my cheque. Hope it comes soon so I can but another cinema ticket to see it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Now you're getting somewhere. First step is self-awareness. Admitting it to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I found the film excellent. The cinema was packed, even though it was week 3 of the release. I saw the original when it first debuted and while it was good, this was the better film and fair play to Tom Cruise for his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Indeed.... Most fans wouldn't be expecting much so their views would be along the lines of the fanboi sh1te here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Watched it last night. Two hours of Tom Cruise’s ego. Very cringe. He looks no more than 40.

Rubbish acting, and zero connection/flow or chemistry in the movie.

I used to really rate Cruise as an actor, but these last few years with these over kill action flicks, I think he has really regressed. Very unconvincing.

I agree it's absolutely not convincing. But it's top gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Take another look - they weren't flying in a canyon, they were just flying close to terrain, hills and such. A bit of common sense and we can assume they probably didn't lay out their waypoints in locations where the real underlying geography would cause accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's been a nice thread but, time to unfollow. Cheerio!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hmmmm... $757m worldwide ($393m USA, $353m World) now..

It'll definitely pass Batman at $770 .. Not sure it'll get the $1b or even pass Dr Strange at $930m

Still early days all the same.

Not sure what hold Jurassic World can do and what pull Lightyear will have.

Top Gun might be able to coast along until Minions and Thor in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Saw it last night. Average enough isnt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Having now outgrossed Dr Strange 2 in the US, this will probably be the highest-grossing movie of the year there, although maybe Thor or Avatar 2 can overtake it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Fantastic movie.

A perfect sequel.

The scene between Cruise and Kilmer was lovely. For a little while I did actually thing that Maverick died.

The aerial action and fights and the mishaps in the training were edge of the seat stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

They were not training in a canyon..

The were flying along mountain and hillside but in several scenes wide open ground in the other side was clearly visible.

They were simply flying as though it was a valley or canyon.

I think Maverick even stated I. The first meeting that they had no similar terrain to train in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,838 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Went in with low expectations but this was a fun film. The only thing I hated was that the absence of an identity for the enemy nation. That was just absurd but it was great craic otherwise.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Loads of films are part funded by China or Dubai these days so they probably left the identity in the air for those reasons I'd imagine, I thought it was funny that there was no identity given it was the entire plot of the movie but it also didn't take away from the enjoyment of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,838 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It just stuck out to me. I'd have just said it was the Russians. There'd have been no blowback.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the film would have come across as far more jingoistic if the enemy nation was explicitly coded as a particular country. It takes on a more cartoonish vibe in its current form, befitting the film. It's still a very pro-American / military film, but it'd have been far more distracting if they were explicitly targeting Iran, North Korea, China or even 'fictional Middle Eastern country that ends with -stan'.

The film is of course ideological and political by its very nature (and having an anonymous enemy is its own statement) - personally I'd prefer if films didn't need to cooperate with the US Department of Defence or military at any capacity! But IMO the decision to at least partially insulate it from modern geopolitics made it easier to just go along with the spectacle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course, with tedious inevitability, The Asylum has released its Mockbuster: Top Gunner! Looks like a classic "Eric Roberts sits at a desk, half drunk" kind of film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

It would be more satisfying from the standpoint of fiction but also more inflammatory.

As for co-operation with the military... in the first film in 1986 the camera lingered on a recruitment poster at one point. Many critics saw it as a 110-minute recruiting ad, which it was. It led to a 500-percent increase in naval aviation recruitment.

The military talk openly about using these films for recruitment and have big links to Hollywood.

That the current US armed forces doesn't have enough pilots is well known in military circles so that American Airlines which depends on ex-military pilots is now running buses instead of planes between regional airports. Plus they will now need even more military personnel if Sweden and Finland join NATO (Yes, I'm aware that this film went into production in 2018 long before the conflict in Ukraine started).

'“The movie came out on Friday and [we] haven’t seen a giant uptick yet just because it’s the weekend,” said Navy recruiter Lieutenant Caitlin Bryant. “But we’re looking forward to it.”

Bryant says there was a noticeable bump even after the trailer first came out.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Btw I liked this movie a lot and might go see it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

Only one country in the world flies Su-57s (the enemy fifth gen fighter) and another country is the only one to have operational F-14s so it might be a team up between those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The movie will pass the inflation adjusted total of the first film.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great flick. Very enjoyable. Cringey yes but as expected. The fighter jet scenes were superb.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is a complete triumph. No more to be said really. Loved it.

More film making like this please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Top movie, so refreshing to see a classic type of movie like that on the big screen. Done so well for a bit of fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

What was the reason they used in the film for not using drones for the mission ?

Was it because the signals to control the drones would have been blocked in the enemy base ?

Even if that was the case I don't understand how they couldn't have dropped a bunker busting bomb from a high altitude to take out the nuclear facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Maybe but the planes could get in low without being shot at.

If that was a real life situation the US army would probably just drop enough bombs to level the place even if was under ground.

Not even a base under a mountain can survive a direct hit from a nuclear strike.

That's why the US president is expected to stay in the air in the event of a nuclear war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The planes can go low enough to evade defence systems

Dropping a bomb from the sky wouldn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭amacca

Really enjoyed that.......was expecting to be disappointed, but was pleasantly surprised its a massive slice of cheese but not an over ripe camembert or a hyper processed easi single.

They stuck close to the original without making it ****.....not an easy thing to do imo even with the benefit (or perhaps drawback) of a quarter century or so elapsing.

Feeling strangely nostalgic.

• Advertisement

The only thing the sequel doesn't do as well as the original is the soundtrack.

Even the lady ga ga song for the film sounds very generic and could have come from just about any film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Firefox is a great movie (the books it's based on are even better), but I wouldn't really call it a movie about fighter jets.

Most of it is a spy thriller and Eastwood's character's trying to get to the actual base while evading KGB and dealing with PTSD.

The actual jet scenes near the end are cool but really a fairly small part of the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭amacca

Didnt even notice there was a lady gaga song so you must be right, The main thing I thought was missing were classic quotes....

There were no infinitely quotable lines like eg

Your ego is writing cheques your body can't cash

You'll end up flying cargo planes full of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong

I feel the need, the need for speed!

“Not even a base under a mountain can survive a direct hit from a nuclear strike.”

A bit off topic, but why do you think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Apparently this won't be on Paramount Plus for a while, still going strong at the box office and 4th of July is coming up in the US. Wouldn't surprise me if it was in cinema for another month as people are still filling up cinemas to see it.

It's a shame as I'm itching to watch it again, my girlfriend wants to watch it but not enough to go see it in cinema and to be fair I don't think she'll enjoy it as much as the Mission Impossible movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea I'm looking forward to watching it and the original again in 4k HDR at home myself.

I enjoyed it in the cinema, but I much rather watch stuff at home without having to deal with randomers making noise and shuffling around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,862 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The biggest hit of Cruise's career and now the highest grossing film for 2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Myself and my 7 yr old are just back from our 2nd watch. He asked me coming out if I still thought the first one was better......I think I have to concede defeat.

It was more memorable and enjoyable 2nd time round.

Had to see it a 2nd time in the cinema. I see in some places they have put it back into imax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Crossed the 1 Billion mark at the box office 😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭Homelander

Earlier just saw a trailer for The Asylum mockbuster, it's called "Top Gunner: Danger Zone" 😂

1/100th the budget trying to tell the same story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement