Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

DB and GA are both paid a fixed fee, the profit excuse is BS

Lets not forget the NTA where fining DB for dropped services but not fining GA.

GA driver have to pay for their training if they leave, yet they still leave as rosters are brutal

Funny thing is the NTA wanted the same type rosters in DB and they where rejected by drivers

Now imagine how bad the bus service will become if both GA and DB are on brutal rosters?

Drivers will leave the industry for good

If only there was a way to get more drivers

Better pay?

Better conditions?

it cant be that simple can it?

Who would want to drive a bus in these hot humid conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

76s seem to be having a very rough time...

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

It looks to me like they're making sure to get as many morning duties covered as possible and sacrificing the lates, on the grounds that fewer people are likely to be affected, which means fewer complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How many buses are needed to operate both the G Spine and Southern Orbital routes this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Three 151s in a row cancelled this afternoon... heading towards Foxborough. At rush hour

Keep in mind that CNR are to operate the G Spine, and that their PVR is likely to remain the same due to the 13 fully going to Harristown

• Registered Users Posts: 17,680 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s the same on numerous routes.

Three 14s out of five cancelled or curtailed this evening and a 75 cancelled too during rush hour.

Bus Éireann have cancelled the entire day’s service on route 421 tomorrow in Co. Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭d51984

Hearing stories of drivers in my depo offering other drivers 150/200 cash on the sly to cover shifts... its that bad!

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I'd say that's all fine and dandy until someone doing that has an accident

• Advertisement

I think it was lxflyer that said that we should suspend any further parts of Bus connects and offer timetables that can be operated. I agree 100%, the amount of abuse im getting lately as a driver about previous buses not showing up is unreal, been almost bullied in to doing overtime. Its not that folks, done a day overtime last week and after all deductions it worked out an extra 35 EURO!!! Everywhere is short staffed at the moment, lets just work out timetables that can be operated at this present time.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Clearly the ability to cover the schedule isn’t helped by annual summer leave commitments, and there’s possibly drivers out with Covid too, but these levels of cancellations and curtailments are woeful.

Come to work with me one day and see the abuse we as drivers are getting on a daily basis about previous missed buses. The irony is that most drivers been abused are working overtime to try help the situation. Im really considering about leaving DB altogether and getting a 9-5 local warehouse job.

Its a disgrace Joe!

I can well believe it, and I fully agree that it’s not fair on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

It never bothered me if people were abusive. Engine off and refuse to drive them anywhere until they apologise. Simple.

Jump on a 27, assault screen getting punched to death on a weekly basis.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I wonder if Transdev would be having the same issues if they were having a massive recruitment drive, seems to me like the decades-old policy of marking in long-term drivers and f*cking over the newbies is having an impact. Although, am open to correction...

There was a deal last year that would have seen marking in abolished it was overwhelmingly rejected by drivers both marked in and spare. Also Go-Ahead don't have marking in and they're also bleeding drivers like there's no tomorrow. I would say this is a problem across the developed world.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TranslatorPS

It's not that GAI doesn't have marking in, it's more like GAI doesn't have spare duties like DB: every duty has a place on a rota, and being a spare driver in GAI means covering absences only, as there isn't a pile of leftover duties to be covered outside of the rigid marked-in rotas.

Alas, no, GAI's problems started out with their 12h spreadover duties coupled with less than favourable pay at the very start. While the scheduler behind the 12-hour duties is now sth like 19 months gone, and the scheduling trends have changed, the perception and poor press are still there. Admittedly, the current industry-wide issues aren't helping.

Phase Four looks like a 15-ish net increase in PVR, but that's going to be offloaded onto Harristown since CNR are coming to pretty much net zero. CNR have about 30-35 Mon-Fri duties on the 13s if memory isn't failing me, so that's HST's increase in August. Phase Five is set to be a PVR increase of about 30, with about 2/3rds of that increase in DB - easily 70 new duties Mon-Fri to cover, and that's not counting in the weekend balance which could see at least 90, maybe even 100 new roster positions required, depending on how it's all blended into existing rotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

39a in Hartstown heading inbound

8 buses gone the other way in the past 20 minutes or so

• Advertisement

That doesn’t mean that they can fill in unfortunately - some of them may finish at Ongar and return to the garage and in that case driver hours restrictions may kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

That's true ! The bus I'm on now the 18:06 is packed to the rafters.

If this continues like this , they might need to bring a few more VTs back

Edit :scratch that , another one just showed up now .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What does 'stop cancelled' mean against the 18:31 & 18:44. The earlier buses have 'trip cancelled'.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I assume it means the departure operated from the terminus, but was since terminated so will no longer service that stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

"stop cancelled" usually means the trip operated but was cut short. On the stops still being served for that trip, the Realtime app usually says something like "service terminating at Aston Quay, stop xxxx"

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Anytime I've seen that 'stop cancelled ' the bus has still arrived

“Stop cancelled” means that the departure has been curtailed, which means one of the following:

The service either started from the terminus but was curtailed mid-route before the stop concerned; or

The service started mid-route instead of the terminus and did not serve the stop concerned, starting further along the route

A common example on a cross-city route would be a service ending or starting in the city centre at the driver handover location due to the driver due to take over not being available.

”Trip cancelled” means that the entire service has been cancelled

Last 63, 75 and 111 all didn't operate from DL this evening this is absolutely unacceptable. I had to pick my sister up from DL this evening disgraceful.

They could've cancelled an earlier duty to ensure the last bus operated.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

That type of thing just can’t be allowed happen. Whatever about say a 15 on a route with a few other buses going the same way or the next one in 10 mins, but that’s just not on.

A cancellation at worst should inconvenience or delay people, it shouldn’t leave them potentially stranded. Driver shortage or not, it’s unacceptable from the operator.

• Advertisement

Absolutely it's inexcusable. DB are having problems too but at least they're making sure the last departure operates. The last 46a operated from DL and from looking at the app the only GAI route that operated it's last departure ex DL was the 45a I didn't see if the last 59 went.

Advertisement