Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

To be fair under the circumstances that would have made sense if indeed that was the case. Hope your right because if we are to have any chance in the semi-final we need both McCarthy but especially O'Callaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Without them think our chances would be slim obviously need them fully fit to start not hoping for the best and having to take one or both off .It looks like we have to have our best side starting hopefully get in front and if necessary use any subs to just see it out and not look for subs to dramatically turn a match around .We just don't have anyone to come on and do that it seems .

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Not a chance tbh, they would have obviously been on the bench if rested or slight niggles. Be insane not to have them on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Don't think so myself. If they were doubts then why have them risk the warm ups pre game and everything that goes with it. Let them concentrate on rehabilitation fir the next two weeks. Especially now as we are playing that lot from down the road.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Maybe! But i think Dessie is under way too much pressure to not have had them on the bench! That lot didnt look great today , although we didnt look great yesterday haha

• Advertisement

Honestly, if we can't be beating that cork team without the two lads we've no business being in a semi final anyway. I'd bet dollars to donuts if we were playing mayo or Kerry yesterday the two boys would have togged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

We don't know the extent of the injuries and will only know when we play Kerry. I think the chances are they are more than just a niggle so it will be tight to make the next day fit and ready to play .All we can do is hope they will be fine we will need them would expect Kerry to up their game when they see us .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dunno what to make of Kerry wasn't impressed with them yesterday. The game was going in Mayo's favour only for the fact they where so bad in that second half I think it would of been much closer. There in a similar situation to last season in that they had a handy trip to the semi final with far to many breaks in between looked very comfortable but as soon as they got a real test they weren't up to it.

Ill be saying me prayers every night hoping we get the two lads back and fit to go because where going to need them! It will be a very close game could go either way but if we can get to Clifford or even O Shea so much of there scores go through the two of them it really does throw them off if one or the other isn't firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To be honest I think Kerry played well within themselves. I was at it, at a spying mission! Honestly Mayo were that bad shooting, Kerry were under zero pressure. I don't think Mayo even claimed one mark. Toothless bar COC.

Mayo had to work 5 times as hard for one score as Kerry had to. Mayo awful wides, dropping short into keepers hands, Kerry effortless turn of pace when needed, one two's over the bar. No bother. Composure, assuredness, basically what Dublin had in abundance. Skills second nature.

As for the Dublin match it is like a role reversal of 2013/2014 ish when Kerry were the former great power, with the old legends trying to carry a weakened team. And Dublin were the upstarts full of swagger. Kerry have that swagger now. I can't see the match going anyway but Kerry to be honest. They have learnt to be more patient compared to previous years like in 2019. And are not as gung-ho. Makes them a much more dangerous outfit. Kerry have a look of side that is maturing and wouldn't be surprised if they get a couple of Sam's in a row to be honest.

What do Dublin have as a threat? Only COC and Rock's frees very easy to counter. OK Kilkenny might chip in, but he is only good when a game is easy ozy and has plenty of time. Costello can go M.I.A if he does not get ball. Moran can be a handful for Fenton etc.

But it is not even the Kerry forwards and midfield that is Kerry's only threat. Tom O'Sullivan their cornerback got something like four from play.

I think Dublin's best chance of winning is to play it cagey, get a lead by chipping away with frees. And hope to hang on. Not very hopeful though from what I saw from Kerry and Dublin to date. The irony is if Mayo had smarter/better forwards they would have beaten Kerry by 7/8 IMO.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I think Kerry can be got at if you make the game uncomfortable for them. Kerry only looked comfortable yesterday when Mayo had lost there heads. Before that the game was drifting and Mayo where the ones winning the 50/50 balls and breaking up most of what Kerry where giving them. Mayo clearly where not good enough and didn't take there chances when they got them only then did Kerry take control and made it a comfortable finish but I really think they where there for the taking yesterday. I still think mentally Kerry have a weakness there and if you really push them hard they over think things far to often.

Saying all that I think they will be massively fired up for the Dublin match and if where not at our best and still missing the lads from the last day this will be Kerry's best chance in a long while to turn us over in the championship.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know what you mean Kerry have a tendency to try and be too clever. That Maurice Fitz kick springs to mind in Thurles.

I believe the story goes as follows:

Maurice Fitzgerald (to Paidi O'Së) 'What will I do?'

Paidi - 'Arah stick it over the f**king bar!'

And Maurice does it the hardest way possible, still nailed it the fecker.

Well, one thing is for sure, we need to horse into them from the throw-in. The last couple of league defeats we haven't even laid a glove on them and if we go in with the same mentality then there'll only be one winner.

Fenton has been on the end of some serious treatment from that lot over the past couple of games so I want to see the lads not taking a backward step and fronting up this time.

We have the players to win this but it remains to be seen if Dessie can put a plan in place to keep Clifford, O'Shea, and O'Brien relatively quiet.

Look what Tyrone did to them last year sure. Played them at there own game. Looking forward to it anyway I should hopefully be back in Croke park for it as well about time!!

As the old saying goes "they don't like it up 'em". If you let them play they'll destroy you but keep their minds elsewhere and they can be got at. I know their forwards are a class act if given time and space. The backline is not as good as it was a couple of years back. They'll leak chances if you can get a run at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If it was only slight niggles, then they would have been on the bench for use in extremis.

That they weren't on the bench has me nervous.

Least confident I have been going into a game since Mayo SF last year. Even less confident I suppose as you throw in those injury doubts and the Kerry forwards on display.

The days of Dublin football fans going fairly relaxed to crunch games are over. That is for sure!

Don’t know why teams don’t target Rock within limit of rules. Cos If he even got a niggle (and was off frees) Dublin would be fecked altogether especially if no Con.

Honestly, as I said at the time, I just don't know what the real injury status is. I'm just trying to stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hopefully, your optimism will prove correct, as those two are key to beating Kerry.

I think it's probably 60/40 in Kerry's favour. I could take a defeat if we play well. However, if we get beaten out the gate I'll be gutted because this team is way better than the results we've seen to date under Dessie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I know it'll be a cold day in hell before I ever give Kerry any credit. But am I the only one who watched them stumble around yday?

The favourites tag is beyond me.

That said, they've not beaten us since 2009 in championship. So they're due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'll get accused of yerra or whatever but I agree with you. I've no idea how this kerry team have been all Ireland favs for the last 3 or 4 years now. I actually think its just the Bookies covering themselves cos surely you'd expect kerry to win one at some stage but at the moment, they're proven failures. Dublin 19, Cork 20, Tyrone 21, all games Kerry should have won and couldn't do it.

I'm expecting another cracker against Dublin. I expect Kerry to win, as I always do, and as you said we are due one but it could go either way and should be a brilliant match.

You're one of the few of the Long-grass Dwellers that I'd never tar with the yerra brush.

That Cork match in 2020 was bloody hilarious. Still beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

The match ups will be intriguing in the Semi. As alluded to if McCarthy is out you lose his leadership skills and Con his shooting ability. Either one of them absent would be a massive loss. Saying that will Clifford be fit the next day?

With the amount of protection Clifford gets from refs if he started a game limping the ref would blow up and give him a free every time the ball was in his half.

In all seriousness though, he's a great footballer but I've never seen anyone buy as many fouls as he does. He has that two step fail over while holding a defender down to a fine art.

I admit I did laugh at that Cork result in 2020. And T O’Sé steaming in studio. He had a job not to curse.

It will interesting how both sides approach it. Back of my mind am hoping for lashing rain. Cos if I remember in 2015 that Jack O’Connor fella said the bad weather suited Dublin and Dublin more suited for playing in rain!

Edit - found it O’Connor did say that in 2015

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Rubbish by O'Connor.

He should be happy the conditions were so bad that day because they'd have probably lost by double figures in good conditions, Dublin were so dominant.

Philly outscoring the gooch!!

Dublin's best all Ireland final performance imo.

If the rain suited Dublin so much, how come a year later in the drawn final v Mayo in the same conditions we put in our worst final performance under the Gavin era?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Have to disagree on Kilkenny. He has been Dublin most consistent forward under Dessie Farrell.

• Advertisement

The rain suits Kerry better as they get a lot more of it down there than ourselves. Kerry is the wettest county in the country after all.

Advertisement