Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

If russia can strike kyiv with 50% of cruise missle,whats to stop them striking kyiv with 50% of its nuclear missles??

I certainly wouldnt want to be waking up there with that over my head,the brits marched into iraq with highly questionable evidence saddam could hit london and were backed to hilt by media,kyiv can be hit with 50% of missiles can be fired at it and noone coming to their help.....i dont see bombing kyiv helps ukraines military

Noone doubts ukraine are well able to slog it out,they are much braver and fighting a much tougher war than was fought anywhere in the middle east,just the level of attriction is unsustainable and will be worse next year as they attempt to dislodge russia,they simply havnt manpower to do it,and will need outside help,

Are usa and nato willing to break emselves and western econmies,lose 100K troops to drive russia out of eastern ukraine???looks to me that is what will be necessary,a horrendous ground war that noone sane wants,but necessary

You do see the difference between blowing up part of an apartment block and destroying the whole of Kyiv.

Thats different levels of insane. If he’d go that far, why not target New York?

Putin above all else wants the best for Putin. Firing nuclear weapons without any foreign soldiers on Russian soil is close to MAD as you could get… nobody knows what would happen next, including Putin, so that’s not going to happen.

Yes, it’s horrific, but there are enough Ukrainians to hold up the Russians with western support. What other choice have they got?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

NATO forces would not fight a ground war, aerial strikes alone would have Russia crippled in a week.

Russia are using equipment that was old in the first Iraq war in the 90s.

They are decades behind the West militarily.

I think the concern for NATO would be that a mild intervention by a token force of theirs would see such a rapid collapse and destruction of the Russian army that it might destabilise the entire country.

The artillery the Russians use are about 60 years old, and have about half the range of Western artillery and artillery.

The next 6 to 8 weeks will see the winter in,and ask the nazi how fighting wars in east in winter geos

Russia will dig in,to strong defensive positions (whereevr they will be come then),and the fight likely resume in earnest next spring/winter as ukraine will likely attempt to dislodge em(they even admit its likely next spring before they can massive counter offensives)......do you honestly see this playing out any different?

They basically flattened mariupol,what would another city leveled be to em??

The ukrainians dont have any other choice,but they are not going to win this war alone,russia will beat em by sheer numbers alone

• Advertisement

What? In 6 weeks time it will be the start of August - 8 weeks still the middle of August. Winter setting in? Again, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

6 to 8 weeks time is August!!You've got winter in your head.I think you are a christmas lover.What is santa bringing you?..a nuclear bomb?

Sheer numbers? Russia isn’t as populace as you may think. Will Russia destroy its population to take Ukraine? I doubt it. Check out the respective populations and the number of attackers you need to overcome defenders and it looks fairly even. No way are Ukraine overwhelmed by numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

Maybe to-day's attack on Kyiv might be intended to break Ukrainian morale, but surely it will strengthen the hand of Biden and Johnson against the weaker elements in the G7 (Macron and Scholz).

Goes once again to show Putin as the master strategist. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

This whole concept of using air raids to try to break the will of a population has been proven false multiple times at this point anyway. It didn’t work when the Germans tried it during the Blitz. It didn’t work when the Allies conducted mass air raids against any major German population centre, and it certainly didn’t work in case of the firebombing campaign against Japan. It’ll definitely not work against Ukraine, especially since the level of bombardment is nowhere near what any of my examples above suffered. The stories of one of my grandmothers of the firebombing of Hamburg that she witnessed still stick with me today.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

This line has been trotted out for weeks now yet even Ukraine admit it's an extremely difficult phase of the war and public opinion polls across Europe show a majority of people are now more concerned about rising prices than they are about Ukraine winning the war, and even staunch supporters of Ukraine talk of fatigue and splits in unity.

The war is in a critical phase and could yet tip either way. All objective media are in agreement on this. Yet the same group of keyboard warriors here, thousands of kilometres away from any danger, keep insisting final Ukrainian victory is just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If russia can strike kyiv with 50% of cruise missle,whats to stop them striking kyiv with 50% of its nuclear missles??

Grand so, that's 800 deployed nuclear missiles fired at one city. You might want to join that thought up a little bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Kyiv needs an Iron dome or patriot system now euro leaders must act

The winter Ukraine needs long range artillery & f16s 2 protect them

Russia cannot be apeased it won't stop expansion while been funded by the west

China NK India all capable of trading arms for Russian oil so they won't run out of weapon and some parts of Asia have cheaper energy

Russia cannot be apeased it won't stop expansion while been funded by the west

Its own ineptitude will stop that expansion and the longer this goes the less that risk remains. They will also struggle to hold what they have and to replace equipment.

You might want to read up on the Asia energy situation.

What’s worse, a “keyboard warrior” or a ‘It’s pointless defeatist”?

Do you think you are revealing NATO secrets here that this is tough for Ukraine or that Russia might up the barbarity?

I do think it’s important to challenge the doom and gloom merchants or those that trot out the bleeding obvious “That must be bad for morale”. If the Ukrainians aren’t giving up, neither should we. Do you want Zekensky to appear on TV and say, this is on a knife’s edge, the Russians may win?

I’ve no doubt there are plenty natives on boards.ie that would love to see Western culture get a bloody nose. I’m not one of those.

I was called everything under the sun and accused of all sorts by a certain poster yesterday when I stated pulling back from that city won’t be good for morale. It was one of the craziest leaps I have ever seen. Severely unhinged.

Not sure what your discussion was about but I agree it is not in any way objective in here.

I am 100% behind Ukraine and I want them to win. I hate Putin with a passion. But you cannot in anyway post about developments on the battlefield if they are negative for Ukraine or you get accused of all sorts. It is utterly unhinged, echo chamber. Only post positive things or else.

Russia had a disastrous start to this war, that’s well documented. The war has changed since then, both have suffered heavy losses. This war could still go either way, no one can predict anything with certainty but you won’t get an honest picture on here. Selective posts galore.

Can you do me a favour, post up a contribution of yours where you posted bad news re Russia in this war? I can recall several where you posted bad news re Ukraine’s position. Is that just a coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

A long way from the battlefield near Estonia.Partisan activity,accident or special derailing operation?

That's the very problem on this thread, anyone who isn't relentlessly positive and militant is labelled either a Russian stooge or a defeatist. With a tiny group of troll exceptions that is not at all what we are. Nearly all of us are fully supportive of Ukraine and full of admiration for the incredible resistance they've shown. We're just being realistic and saying Ukraine is facing some major difficulties and the fairytale David versus Goliath ending of sending the Russians running is looking increasingly unlikely.

And you can be absolutely sure that behind the scenes at the G7 there is a lot of talk of compromise and what solution beyond total Ukrainian victory might be acceptable. It should be possible to discuss that here without immediately being attacked or told "you have a hardon for Russia" and other such idiotic insults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Nothing new in this as Putin has been talking about doing the same things for 3 months now. I am puzzled by Lukashenko on one hand he is trying to keep his country out of the war and on the other hand he wants all that Russian hardware in his country. What is his game? Putin wants support from another country and I am only surprised that one of his patsies in the est has not yet come on board. I know Kazakhstan has no time for Putin but what about the rest of them. No one seems to want to help Russia even though it's clear Putin is trying to drag someone them into the war. What about the odd attempt coup in Kazak 4 months ago. Was that an attempt by Putin to put in place a more friendly regime that could be called upon to help Russia in its war? Considering how easy Europe rowed in behind Ukraine and NATO and of course, the USA. Putin sure does look as though he is on his own. That must be killing Putin slowly.

Hopefully, the Ukraine does not take the bate and attack Belarusian territory. that's what Putin wants. Hopefully too more missile defence gear will be supplied to Ukraine very soon. Those Iskander missiles are now a big threat to Kyiv.

Dan.

In what way do you feel frustrated? In practical terms, what impact do you think this perceived impartiality has?

That G7 discussion, despite your certainty, is speculation to everyone else. Nobody on this thread is in doubt as to the dangers facing Ukraine.

And there are obvious trolls and not so obvious trolls. Some here would like Ukrainian support to dwindle. They can post to that effect, but won’t go unchallenged.

For example, to my mind pulling back from Severodonetsk was the smart strategy. Clearly, leave the Russians to their pyrrhic victory and hit them as they try to cross the river. Someone else chimed in ”That can’t be good for morale”?

To what end that comment?

The UK, US, Canada and Japan will ban imports of Russian gold in the latest stage of the effort to cripple Russia’s economy in response to the war in Ukraine, the Press Association reports. Gold exports were worth $15.2bn to Russia in 2021. The ban is due to come into force shortly and will apply to newly mined or refined gold.

Every little helps as the ad goes.

What are you even talking about? Why are you even mentioning Zelensky? We are talking about this forum, I don’t think Zelensky is reading this forum, what is said in this forum has no impact on the war or morale. Stating facts on the battlefield isn’t giving up and I hate to break it to you but it doesn’t matter 1 **** or not if you give up because you’re not in Ukraine . You’d seriously want to get a grip.

Thanks for proving my point, that you must “challenge” facts that aren’t positive for Ukraine on the battlefield. You call it doom and gloom, no it’s just balanced. The irony is you’re very Putin like in how you try stamp out facts you don’t like and accuse that person of being x y and z.

And trotting out the bleeding obvious was in relation to a post that tried to turn them pulling out of the city yesterday as something rosy. It needed a dose of reality hence the bad for morale. Just as it was bad for Russian morale when they fled the outskirts of Kyiv.

And to you follow on post, I’ve called for Putin to be hung at The Hague several times in here, expressed how much I hate him countless times as I can still see you’re going with I’m a Putin bot conspiracy for simply stating yesterday won’t be good for morale.

Now you can try and live in alternative fragile world where everything is rosy and Ukraine is winning easy and any facts are seen as doom and gloom Putin botters that is fine with me. The reality is the war is tough on both sides and could still go either way. I hope Ukraine wins and Putin gets murdered , Russia has an uprising and embraces democracy.

Rte news just now said yesterday was a serious setback for Ukraine. I guess they’re now Putin bots who need to be challenged too. Grow up and get in the real world.

So basically anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, anyone who isn't relentlessly positive is secretly waging a campaign to undermine Ukraine. Interesting set of assumptions on which to engage in public discussion and reveals quite a lot about character.

I didn’t ask you to say if you dislike Putin. I asked you to show the balance you seem to be asking of everybody else, where have you posted bad news re Russian developments? I can recall you posting several times re Ukrainian set backs.

Or, have you taken on the pro Russian developments PR to give balance… balance to the invading, civilian murdering/raping Russian invaders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, President Joe has Putin on a string here. Russia will default somewhere along the line. I am keen to see how the 'Krummeylin' spins its way out of that when it happens.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It won't matter that much, they owe very little as is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It more reveals basic human nature when "Them" Versus "Us" narratives are at play. We pick a side and that's pretty much that. Critical thinking goes on holiday.

Russian supporters in this a very good example. No matter what facts and history are laid at their feet they ignore them, avoid them, or go on the attack. That's how propaganda works and native Russians have been suckled on it from birth. When a lie, or better again a half truth, is told often enough and cleverly enough the majority of people in a society will reject any questioning of that lie. It's too easy to just go on accepting it as our peers do. In fact questioning it can be too painful, because if your beliefs are based on a lie or half truth and you acknowledge that, you risk angering your peers in the same lie, maybe even suffering for that and maybe worse again, realising that you're a fool that's been lied to. This is what autocrats have always relied upon. Religions too.

And lest we think the rest of the world doesn't live by and believe half truths and lies and our own culturally Accepted Truths, we do. They're just different ones. The singular difference between a more free society and a captive one is that the former has more dissentors and more access to critical thinking and more access to ways to spread critical thinking without the risks, often mortal ones found in captive societies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement