Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times website no longer allowing comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Caquas

I was being facetious about postage- obviously the “letters to the Editor” these days are actually emails.

Why are these emails published under this anachronistic rubric when the comments section has been shut down? Presumably because the Editor has complete control of their publication. And they are not anonymous.

I vent on Boards without being abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not censorship. Neither the Irish TImes nor anyone else is obliged to give anyone a platform for their views. They did say comments would return in time, we'll see.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Leaving aside the issue that censorship is only at the state level, regardless how one decides to interpret it; why is any media outlet obliged to maintain an open forum to the public?

The public has an entire industry dedicated to an outpouring of unfiltered opinion via social media - it's not like the shuttering of the Irish Times represents the last redoubt falling here. People can, and do, air their opinions and if anything, Twitter has more People Power and relevance than the IT's avenue for polemical brainfarts.

And also, if the newspaper has "every right" to close their comments sections, how can it also be a form of censorship? It can't be both here, it's a contradictory situation. They have the right to censor?

Censorship is only at the State level? You absolve the Catholic Church (and all other religions) of censorship - that’s novel!

How many times do I have to repeat that the IT has no obligation to maintain a comment section - but let’s not pretend that this isn’t censorship, even if there are other avenues for comment like Boards. There is no comparison between a comment on the IT website calling out the BS we get from certain commentators (insert names here) and a post on Boards which is only seen by Boardsies.

Will the Commission on the Future of the Media reflect on this? Of course it should but it won’t. It would be rich if the Commission proposes to give taxpayers funds to media which deny the average punter their say.

Oh yeah, RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I didn't realise you were being facetious. (by the way see how easy it is to be misunderstood in online comment).

You might characterise it as anachronistic others might say it is tradition.

As I said earlier this is not personal.

• Advertisement

You are saying that it is a form of censorship to which the IT is entitled ?

In my opinion the actions of the IT do not fall within any definition of censorship.

The job of the Fourth Estate is difficult enough without them being accused of the very thing they work against.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

They don't tweet every story, but you can tweet in response to most. Not that Twitter is a solution to anything really.

I noticed that they tended not offer comments on their stories that were right on BS, such as anything written by Kitty Holland. I think they know those would be torn to shreds and didn't want the scrutiny.

FFS

I post it again, it might sink in

It's not censorship. Neither the Irish TImes nor anyone else is obliged to give anyone a platform for their views. 

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not absolving any religion of anything; because apart from being complete whataboutery and nothing to do with what we were taking about, censorship only pertains to the state apparatus or institutions therein. Often specific to media, or media gatekeeping.

Unless a newspaper was state owned, then a private paper literally cannot "censor". It can editorialise, and as we see with the more aggressive Redtops, will do so with gusto. Is that also censorship to your mind, if news is reported with an intentional slant (often by way of misleading information?) Beyond some vaguely defined sense of objectivity?

How many times must I repeat myself!? No one here is arguing that the IT (or any other media) is obliged to have a comments section.

But when the IT chose to shut down its comments section, that's a form of digital censorship. Maybe you would like a less pejorative term but whatever way you look at it, the IT has chosen to restrict the expression of other viewpoints. It has done so legally and openly and without infringing anyone else's constitutional, legal or natural rights but it is still a restriction on free speech. And well beyond what would be needed to prevent e.g. online abuse.

Boards is a good example of a platform for respectful free speech. I hope Boardsies would be among the first to recognise when free speech is being resricted. I call that censorshhip. Why not?

• Advertisement

Boards can, and frequently does, edit or delete posts and ban posters. Is that censorship? Hundreds of "fight da powa" threads in Help Desk say no.

Yes, Boards censors posts on this site and I totally approve.

There are limits to free speech and Boards generally shows good judgement in dealing with posts in accordance with its own rules which are set out in its terms of use to which all posters have agreed.

If only the mainstream media, including the IT, were not abandoning this approach in favour of a total blackout on readers' comments (except for the anachronism of "Letters to the Editor", which rarely respond to the Opinion pieces that used to attract most comments).

And it's sad to see posters here who don't even recognise the problem.

In no way was my response "whataboutery" (which must be the most abused and misunderstood term in Irish discussions).

If, as you claim, censorship is limited to the state apparatus, then you are absolving all religious organisations, most obviously the Catholic Church, of censorship. You would also exempt the digital media e.g. Twitter or Facebook when they ban certain posters. Perhaps you have a better word for actions to restrict freedom of speech?

No one reading my posts could possibly think that I regard editoralising, however aggressive or slanted, as censorship? Whether the newspaper is controlled by Rupert Murdoch or Xi Jinping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If I sent you a letter demanding that you post to your own twitter/facebook/linkedin account a paragraph detailing the breakfast I had this morning, I take it you'd do it without hesitation? If you refused you'd be censoring me and restricting my freedom of speech, the same way the IT is apparently "censoring" commenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

What's climate alarmism? Why would the EU pay The Journal for anything? Have you any evidence of any of this?

I’ll make this simple - if someone kept posting nonsense on my twitterfeed, I would block them. They might complain that I was censoring them and that would be true but I would be justified in that case. If I blocked all comments from the whole world, that would be paranoid and difficult to justify. It would also be more analogous to the IT cancellation of its comment section.

Of course, my point is that the mainstream media, with a dominant position in the public sphere, have a responsibility to offer a right of reply which they clearly want to restrict I.e. censor.

The IT does offer a right of reply if a person disputes anything they publish about them and can prove it is incorrect.

See today's letter from Terry Prone in IT today.

Corrections of fact are published regularly.

Closing comments is a different thing.

The IT has chosen to restrict its readers’ capacity to respond on its website. Of course, they can pay a solicitor to issue a writ or go to the Press Council or even write a “Letter to the Editor”.

As you say, not the same thing.

Well we are in agreement about that anyway.

I still don't think it's censorship to stop "Mr Angry" from having his say on the topics of the day.

Posters

Posters here don’t like the word “censorship” for shutting down online comments but haven’t offered a better word.

Maybe because they generally dislike official censorship and find it hard to apply any such concept to the digital media. If the government had come along and instructed the media to shut down their comment sections, there would have been uproar but somehow it’s OK if the media as a whole (including the public service broadcaster) do it for their own reasons.

Is there a more acceptable word for restrictions on speech? “Ban” is useful for specific instances (and beloved of the tabloids!) but is it better here? e.g. would you prefer “the IT banned all comments on its website”.

This thread’s title is too obsequious - “no longer allowing”. How gracious of the IT to have tolerated their readers’ views for so long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Well some balance to the equally odious Una Mulally is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Maybe because they generally dislike official censorship and find it hard to apply any such concept to the digital media.'

It's so easy to create your own blog/web site though. Why do you need the IT to host your opinions?

It’s so easy to have a comment section which allows your readers to share their views. Why would the IT (and all other major Irish media) close down their comments section?

If they needed advice on moderating the comments, I’m sure Boards could have given them worthwhile guidance.

It's not easy at all in the commercial tier. Boards costs a lot of money to maintain 20+ years of data - and in the current climate is barely keeping its head above water. Somebody has to administrate these sections: it's all cost at the server level, while keeping a staff on the payroll to maintain a decreasing sequence of barely coherent diatribes doesn't make much business sense; not when Twitter et al has basically become the prime source of Public Opinion. Traditional newspapers are already struggling, financially. Every comment being a potential legal landmine doubtless added more ammunition towards the belief of obsolescence.

I don't think cost was decisive. A couple of interns could have moderated out the nutcases. Most organisations are happy to pay to get their customers' feedback. If cost was the issue, I think they could have defended their decision on that basis, instead of using the revamp of their website as a convenient opportunity without any explanation.

I think it is an admission by the traditional media that they can't handle the new media environment. The aura of authority and wisdom that used to surround the major media is gone. The comments on the IT would have bruised a few over-sized egos.

Funny how so many commentators on this thread don't even see the issue.

I don't think the so called "new media environment" has such a rosy future.

Integrity in reporting and commentating will always win out in the end.

Reading anonymous posters "bruising egos" has a very limited shelf life for anyone who really wants to be informed.

People who disagree with you are not necessarily blind to the issue.

"Bruised a few over-sized egos"

I think you're overstating both the value and impact of these sections, while understating just how much hassle running them in the first place can be. Have you worked with interns? If you had, you wouldn't give them the administration of a potential legal quagmire like User Comments 😂 Most companies might want user feedback, but most companies also want to reduce costs and will outsource, or shutter, where it makes sense. Again, Boards has outsourced its Platform Software for that very reason - reduce costs.

Anyway: whose egos? As I said, Twitter is where most topical commentary takes place now - and by design allows for more direct communication with politicians or journalists in the first place than a Comments section tucked away at the bottom of the occasional news article (for better or worse; personally Twitter is a cesspit that allows for bullying and harassment, but that's another topic). In some respects it's Direct Democracy in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You think the comments section on newspaper articles constitutes feedback to the newspaper? Have you ever read a comments section?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

At least someone gets it. This looks like a financial decision more than anything to do with censorship. Moderating comments means employing some people to do that. The IT has been struggling for years. Over ten years ago, it was selling over 100K copies a day. Before Covid, it was down to around 50K a day. Government advertising played a big part in keeping a lot of media outlets viable during the lockdowns and Covid. Though digital subscriptions are supposed to replace paper sales, the reality is that getting people to subscribe online is difficult and though the IT has published some puff pieces about its digital subscriptions, there is often no breakdown of these subscriptions by duration (weekly/monthly/annual) and the figures on churn are rarely mentioned. How people access news has changed and people increasingly rely on the smartphone for news. For newspapers, the financial problems with the online publishing model and its 24 hour news cycle rather than the old newspaper model of yesterday's news tomorrow are far deeper than perceived censorship.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I suspect (based on no evidence whatsoever) that the comments suggested that many of the IT’s readers were a lot less ‘liberal’ than the IT’s view of itself and it didn’t really like that. In particular, Monday morning under Una Mullally’s latest masterpiece was always a bloodbath

Advertisement