Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A lot of the discretionary non essential spending is going to be eaten alive- not happening so much yet as the job cuts haven’t really kicked in yet and there is still a bit of covid cash around. Like of fancy hairdressers etc going to be quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Well I'd almost bet they haven't switched their provider in the last 12 months, aren't submitting meter readings, and are blaming the government and everyone else instead of acting like an adult and fixing the problem themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

The European Investment bank said this month that 17% of corporate's are at risk of default over the next 12 months, up from 10% last year.

Difficult to comprehend really and " at risk " does not mean failing, but not difficult to see quite a lot of tightening of the belt's coming in the next few months from some of the big corporations.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You are overlooking the steep rises in electricity.

It's a big news story at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

This is all very true but many of the posts I've seen also seem to be tied to prepay power. The cost of this per week is eye-watering and I know we would struggle to keep up if we were on it. Guessing it's associated with rented accommodation. The poor keep on getting poorer.

As I've mentioned I'm sure there's more to it than meets the eye but there are many many families that are already to the pin of their collar. The costs associated with working in this country are out of control, childcare being an example of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,323 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...once again, the individual has limited resources to provide themselves with their own needs, hence why state protective measures are required, this becomes more so, in an environment of rapidly rising wealth inequality, as we re currently experiencing!

....its always important to remember, large corporations have far more favorable agreements with creditors, compared to other entities in society, i.e. sme's, individuals etc etc, they are more than likely to receive some debt forgiveness during debt restructuring agreements than these alternatives, its that age old conundrum of, 'if you owe them a million, you have the problem, but if you owe them a 100 million, they have the problem'.....

but in saying that, yes it is a serious concern, particularly the fact, a large proportion of these debts has been used in share buy backs than actual investments!

i.e. they aint the same!

what we really should be doing when they eventually come crying, is to implement strict conditions with any sort of new agreements, bail outs etc etc, to make sure they actually truly benefit all, and not just the few!

I'm not at all. I actually use a bit of electricity myself funnily enough. Shopped around, submit regular readings, don't have appliances running all day, and I don't have crazy bills yet. And I'm working from home so am there all day.

businesses generally pay much larger amounts for energy than households, this is ultimately where the inflation is coming from, but of course, everyone, including the children can see, theres gonna be complete mayhem in a couple of months, regarding energy costs

The big tech firms are tightening belt, less new Jobs created, not replacing all departing staff.

Many ways to reduce workforce.

I get your points, we would be a very frugal household here but the jump in electricity is stark.

Use it up

Wear it out

Make do or do without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Do you work for an electricity provider or something? There's nothing between the price of electricity from one provider to the next. Why assume that they haven't been submitting readings? They got an outrageously high bill and you want to blame them instead of the obscene price gouging being done by the energy firms here. Jeez, that's a hell of a strange thing to take away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

This thread perhaps needs to decide whether it's about price inflation or true inflation.

Maybe 2 threads? I would have thought the price of goods was a consumer issue, with the cause of inflation being more suited to financial or current affairs. Perhaps the political 'voters sentiment' or consumer confidence aspect is well suited to current affairs.

All the posts are fascinating, don't get me wrong. I just think 2 threads could be good? Just like in the weather forums. Cause and effect.

It's by discussing the causes that we can better protect ourselves and our families. As worse is coming. Studying effects is never a solution. But it is rivetting and it is hitting all of us.

the only issue with separation, the bigger picture may become lost, theres nothing simply about these issues, with an astonishing level of complexities involved, inflation is inflation, it effects the majority mostly, but everyone differently. the population has been dealing with hyper inflated property markets for decades, now consumer inflation has decided to turn up again, resulting in most of us being in trouble! this is potentially scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭raclle

the population has been dealing with hyper inflated property markets for decades, now consumer inflation has decided to turn up again, resulting in most of us being in trouble! this is potentially scary stuff!

I wonder when this new living wage will come into effect? Currently €12.90 per hour and certainly needed now

i do like the idea of the living wage, but my fear is, most sme's probably cant afford it, and introducing it, will simply cause them to increase their prices, furthering our inflation problems, this is why i believe pup should have been kept in place. if those on pup returned to work, pup could have been reduced, potentially reducing the need for increased prices from employers, i.e. protecting both employees and employers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I got a 2 month electricity bill the other day.. 2200 euro.

Ive not been using anything extra, same appliances and usage. Excuse I got from SSE.. last several bills were estimates, last bill reflects installation of smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Domestic.

Im still in shock.

Im thinking of selling up, moving rural, go off grid. Ive developed a doomsday prepper mentality suddenly.

i know a family that live rurally, solar panels galore, even sending some back to the grid from time to time, must call out to them, sounds like an impressive setup

• Advertisement

Were you paying very small bills beforehand? Submit regular meter readings and you won't get a €2200 bill.

No I don't work for an electricity provider, but I act like a grown up and manage to stay on top of my bills. There's plenty of ways to do this, submit meter readings, shop around every 12 months to get the discounted rates on offer, sign up to equaliser payments so you pay regular recurring amounts instead of seasonal bills.

Obviously prices have gone up, but that example of a €2200 bill is as much the fault of the consumer as the supplier. Not a peep put of him when his bills were low because of estimated meter reads, but shouting about it when time comes to pay the piper.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I've family in England some are retired and one is semi retired now and their bills have doubled in the past year. One can't actually retire because he and his wife can't afford to live off their pensions. He'll probably work until he drops and she'll probably end up moving in with her daughter. It won't be long before we see the same here. We're definitely a lot more conscious of our energy use and of reducing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I run a small business so watch the bills like a hawk I submit meter readings before every invoice is generated so no estimated bills

Having priced with eight different providers my unit rate will double no matter where I go

workers in some places will lose their jobs just so energy bills can be paid going forward

It’s always been pretty dire in England if you’re solely dependent on the state pension. I think it’s only €70 or €80 per week. Ours isn’t a fortune but it does keep most of our elderly out of destitution

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

France’s three energy companies are urging people to immediately reduce consumption. Got a feeling axes are going to be in big demand this winter and ****ing matches.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes, if the price of energy doubles again in the next few months we are probably gone beyond what government assistance can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The pup payments were necessary since many pubs, cafes shut down or just switched to delivery only since 2020. The only solution I see is a recession to reduce demand and reduce oil imports but of course recessions cause more job loss, s soo there's no easy answer I think the whole economy is changing many people still work from home i wonder will there be customers for the large office buildings that are in the middle of being built

Only a Europe wide solution will work with the ecb and EU governments following some long term plan more government spending tends to increase inflation unless its things like roads or green energy infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

You thinking of the dole which is around 80 a week, the state pension is approx £160 a week (it's triple locked and it goes up with rate of inflation every year) topped up with pension credit for the very poor. It is still very low for the cost of living there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Why didn't you send in your readings?

My bill this time last year was 112, this year €250. It's more than double which will be similar situation for everyone now. I cut back drastically last two months, dryer is left unplugged, got an airfryer instead of using main oven, 30° washes in washing machine etc. I'm with bord gais with 30% discount.

My contract is up in sept. I looked at my unit rate yesterday, it's 30 cents a unit. I was so shocked at that :-(

Advertisement