Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well that's the sad state of affairs of the modern day music scene...what's going to happen when the likes of McCartney, Elton John, Phil Collins finally retire there's no up & coming talent out there to match them

and please don't mention Bieber, Sheeran or Styles they're just glorified karaoke singers and as for Billie Eyelash? my god is that what young people are listening to these days?😶

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nothing "edgy" its the truth, the sad truth

watch Live Aid in 85 - brilliant act after brilliant act, nowadays you'd be lucky to find any up & coming artists that even come close to the talent on display back then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fair play lads. Viciously divided on whether or not Paul McCartney's any good. Unanimous in agreement that Olivia Rodrigo's a good looking girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its sad really.

The Guardian gave Paul Mc Cartney 4/5 stars for his performance and also gave Billie Eilish 4/5 stars.😕

It seems the media is paid off by record companies.

Eilish is an industry plant, basically an actress, her brother writes most of her songs.

Milli Vanilli would be proud of her live shows.

• Advertisement

Such nonsense. It's the essence of music, isn't it? Every generation goes through this. There's loads of great music out there at the moment, whether it's to your taste or not isn't really the point, although I'm pretty confident that there is a pile of stuff out there under the radar that you'd love. You mightn't have the energy or the inclination to dig anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Billie Eilish was just awful, Noel Gallagher oasis songs good, everything else sh*t, and as for 80 year old McCartney that was the worst headline act in years he’s 80 ffs. Awful festival and the future of “music” is in tatters, crowd looked like a bunch of nerds aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is the crowd almost exclusively white? I was watching the audience of what look like white and presumably generally fairly comfortably-off folks singing along with the urban black artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Anywhere to watch Paul’s set?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Crowd is definitely more Wimbledon Tennis than smoking crack in a flat in Toxteth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Is there a generational shift in music these days? There's no so called superstars/bands anymore. That's what I always thought the likes of Glastonbury was all about. Modern day music seems like a totally different alien to what we've seen in the past and not in a good way. There's still some talented musicians out there but It feels like good music is dying a slow death

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That Ukrainian band were class. Also Brass Against in West Holt's were brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

He was to be the headline act before COVID, so probably loyalty to him meant that he got it this year. Also the timing coinsided with the finish of his US tour last week.

Posted this on the telly forum - but for those partially deaf people who think there is no good music at this or no new good music these days. Today stages have:

Nightmares on Wax 14:00 - 15:00

Nubya Garcia 15:30 - 16:30

Fontaines DC 16:30 - 17:30

Snarky Puppy 17:00 - 18:00

Amyl and the Sniffers 17:00 - 18:00

Jarv Is 19:45 - 20:45

Elbow 17:45 - 18:45

Suzanne Vega 21:30 - 23:00

Courtney Barnett 21:15 - 22:30

Kendrick Lamar 21:45 - 23:15

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Sure does 🤣🤣

In fairness to @fryup you can't put Bieber, Sheeran or Styles in the same league as their predecessors

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There are people over at Glastonbury and they are today and this morning on boards. You're doing glastonbury wrong. Phone is to locate friends and nomore at this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Travis, Skunk Anansie, Mumford and Sons, The Verve (2008 version), Primal Scream, Ash (Replacing Steve Winwood), Shakespeare's Sister, Christy Moore, Black Crowes, Levellers, .....

Are just some of the acts who have headlined the pyramid stage and are not Superstars. Popular yes, capable live performers too. Glastonbury hasn't always and won't always be about the superstar performers. There's often something left of field headlining the mainstage, and often what's on the other stage is a bigger draw.

In 2013, Arctic Monkeys, who were huge headlined the friday, but there were as many watching Portishead and having their heads blown away by Beth, Geoff and Adrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pet Shop Boys on opposite Kendrick Lamar, they are going to be the highlight of the festival I think.

Saw them Wednesday night in Cork and they blew the roof off the tent, it was phenomenally good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I feel so out of touch in the context of Kendrick Lamar being a Glastonbury headline act! I have very broad musical taste and I think there's still lots of great music out there today. I look at the Longitude lineup, and I'm at least familiar with the likes of Dave, Megan Thee Stallion, Tyler the Creator, ASAP Rocky. Im familiar with some of the international rap and hip hop acts like Burna Boy and Sfera Ebbasta and think they're not bad actually.

But I can honestly say I know absolutely nothing by Kendrick Lamar. I know the name but don't remember ever hearing him played anywhere. I don't know even if he's British or American. No teenagers or younger people I know are into him. I was shocked he was announced as headline act. It's hard to believe I can be so completely unaware of someone deemed big enough to headline Glasto!

Although I'm not a big fan, I understood Jay Z and Kanye as headline acts and I knew the songs. I even understood why they chose Stormzy. How have I totally missed all knowledge of Kendrick Lamar??

Is he any good?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Nubya Garcia taking to West Holts now.

Miles Davis at Isle of Wight 1970 is looking from behind the couch a little anxious and scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Petshop boys 10pm bbc4

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Sorry to derail the chat here, but can anyone tell me what to expect in the morning when looking for a bus back in to Bristol, is it mayhem, would it be advisable to pack up early as possible and get one of the early morning buses? Cheers! Just preparing myself for the horrors tomorrow 🙈

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ya had me until I mentioned Fontaines 😂😂😉

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

McCartney was great! last night - but it is a bit desperate that they have to rely on a old age pensioner as the headline act

• Advertisement

I don't think they have to rely on anyone. They can book pretty much anyone they want and it will sell out.

Advertisement