Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭jmreire

Certainly breezy, punish the lawbreakers, go for it!!! But the innocent? They should be punished too? Like what happened in Stalins Russia ( and possibly still the same the present day) That's the Ireland you want breezy???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nothing here for me to respond to.

If you reduce yourself to ad homeinems and baseless insults because you are too proud to debate on merit, and this the moral stance your church teaches you, it's a very poor reflection on both.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

- Proverbs 16:18

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It could just be proof of 1 very very rich person in the congregation. Funny that no mention of this mystery parish shows up on Google in a country where stuff like this would surely make the local paper.

There is a story of 150 parishioners raising €115k with half of that coming from 2 doners. Which is a lot less than the 650 I estimated.

What innocent would be punished ?

Where did I ask for anyone innocent to be punished ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Yeah, its a thread on the church and what the church did. I was asked for examples. You are right of course.

The church had a strangle hold on Irish society and FF and FG along with the institutions of the state played along to maintain power. If you went against the church you lost seats. Thats the driving ethic of those organisations.

That said, the church don't get a Michael Martin 'we were all guilty so nobody was guilty' pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,806 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's funny isn't it? Not only do all the church apologists live in "thriving" parishes, the catholic schools they send their kids to aren't really catholic any more so what's the harm in forcing everyone else to send their kids to catholic schools, too?

It's only the rest of us who can see the empty churches, closed seminaries, and the daily discrimination against non-catholics in 89% of primary schools...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Quote:- Breezy

"Add to that any organization that raped loads of kids and buried more in septic tanks probably should not be allowed to still run schools."

Makes sense. Unquote.

So any organization Breezy, including innocent members of that organization, who had no hand act or part in any wrongdoing, will share the same fate as the guilty?? Unless of course you think that each and every person in that organization was guilty .. what ever happened to the rule of law and presumption of innocence?

The organisation is irretrievably corrupted and tainted by what it did and what it allowed and what it covered up and is still doing its best to cover up.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Discrimination against non catholics?

I'm assuming you have evidence of this?

I would gladly have sent my kids to an educate together school but it's almost impossible to get into them. The church owned schools are the only option for a lot of people and in my experience the religious education has been minimal. I'm sure others haven't experienced things exactly as I have but anyone else I know with kids in different schools have a largely similar experience to mine.

I'm also anything but an apologist for the church, I'm not a church goer and I'm as appalled as everyone else by the church.

How have you fared with your childrens school?

Glazers Out!

Thank God, Princess , I'm very happy to hear that you are not responding. Keep it up !!!😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,010 ✭✭✭Shoog

My kids spent a lot of time sitting out of religious indoctrination - but that was around a decade ago.

°°°°°

That's odd. I don't remember being subjected to religious indoctrination myself when I was in school, you must have sent them to a seriously religious institution.

Glazers Out!

I am not suggesting a catholic should be banned from being a teacher or a member of a school board.

I am suggesting the catholic church as an organization with a hierarchy which is what it is should be banned from running a school.

It is obvious to everyone else on here of course that this is what I meant including you but you can't help trying to twist and deceive.

Luckily the state agree with me as the church never gets awarded the job of running any new school when it goes to tender.

You are right in one thing anyway Cluedo....the Church will never finish...it will endure until the end of time.

It was our nearest school and there were no secular alternatives.

°°°°°

There's the issue. These swines still own the property.

I'd much prefer to send my kids to a secular school.

Most Irish people only get their kids baptised because getting an Irish child into.a school without a baptismal cert is nigh on impossible. Kids from other backgrounds waltz in the door, which should be the case for everyone. When I saw another poster stating that non catholics are discriminated against I had to laugh, it's almost a complete inversion of that concept.

I thought "**** they're going to lean hard into the religion" when my eldest started school but it hasn't been like that at all.

Owning schools and demanding baptismal certs is the only thing keeping the numbers of Catholics up in this country.

Glazers Out!

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119252728#Comment_119252728

Jokeshop. Every catholic and church of Ireland school does this. That's 89% and 5% of all primary schools.

At least the CoI school my kids go to respects the right to opt out. Most of the kids there are not CoI and it likely would have closed years ago if only CoI kids went there. It's the only non-RCC and non-single-sex option in the area.

As for discrimination, plenty to inform yourself with here:

https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=discrimination%20site%3Ateachdontpreach.ie

Also, schools are no longer allowed ask for baptismal certs. RCC isn't saying, but baptism rates are most likely collapsing as a result (just like catholic marriage rates have collapsed in the last ten years)

Although I don't really know why I'm bothering to reply to someone who is peddling racist myths. The rules are the same whether you are Irish or not. BTW all kids born here are Irish.

My faith is not misplaced Shoog... far from it, and neither do I consider myself to be superior to any one else, where did or how did you reach that conclusion?? Now If I were a Muslim, its a tenet of that faith that being a Muslim, automatically makes you superior to non-Muslims. Yes the drop in Irish vocation's is a worrying trend, especially when its not matched by a corresponding drop in parishioners. But its more than made up for by an increase in vocations in other Country's. And also now things are changing to allow greater participation by lay people in Church activities, in regards to what functions can be carried out that will lessen the load on the Priests. Strictly, only a Priest can say Mass, consecrate the Host and hear confessions, but in reality there are many other functions that presently Priest's are called on to do, that could be carried out by lay persons with proper training and preparation. The Church will survive though, for sure. It will change in order to do so.

Typically the priest in North Roscommon are covering (badly) 3-4 parishes. Priests are dying and the neighbour priest is pushed to take on the parish rather than been replaced. Necrosis by slow cuts.

Should have clarified that in your post then, Breezy. Instead of accusing me of "Twisting " your words.

• Advertisement

But its more than made up for by an increase in vocations in other Country's.

Hahaha.

Nope.

From https://www.pillarcatholic.com/p/is-there-a-global-vocations-crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Though, the other link you posted to the other thread about some Bishop complaining that really really we should still require baptismal certificates, despite that pesky law business...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hey, he heard this from his priest so it must be true. Like, the whole church is gonna change nonsense. Not unless its imposed by an external authority, which is particularly difficult with the criminal enterprises known as the RCC given the pervasive influence (and massive amounts of money) that the Criminal Enterprise has. Money they fail to mention when some dilapidated (though, no doubt expensively built in the day) church is collapsing and they need to shear the sheeple again.

My wife's family were evicted from their farm in Leitrim in the 1880's and were sent to the poorhouse until they could raise enough money to emigrate.

At around the same time, a fancy church was being built in Dingle at great expense, featuring stained glass and gorgeous ornate hardwood floors (that survive to this day.) While in the poorhouse, the local Quakers supported her family. Surely some of the money spent on the fancy Dingle church floors might have helped? Be assured their experience wasn't unique, it was the Quakers that supported most of the poorhouses. Not the RCC. Oopers.

Oh, regarding those floors (the chapel's associated with a now-defunct convent.) A local friend tells us that in the 1980's, when she was a student there, all the girls had to wear slippers when walking on the floors for worship. The boys, however, could wear their hobnail boots, these were all children of farmers, the dominant employer in the area up till the 1990's or so. The floors are still really nice, made from exotic hardwoods and all.

It was clear. I'm not the first poster you have tried the twisting with. For a man of faith you are a very bad faith poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So it was all a set up from the start, a dramatic device, if you will?

Are you talking about primary or secondary? Did you have religion classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Well yes they should. There are thousands of examples where the “innocent “ ignored abused children and collectively worked against making these crimes known , these people would have been seen as pillars of the town and were right in doing it in their own minds. In my locality a Garda tried to report a priest and the “innocent “ made life hell for his family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

hearsay isn't fact. you do understand the difference between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nothing to respond to is not the same as not responding. And from the looks of your responces to other posters (and this) I was bang on correct with your my analysis of your ethical philosophies (or lack thereof) - anything you want to post to counter this that actually adds to the debate

So will you, by the sounds of it - doesn't mean you're relevant or even in some way ethical or even right.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

WOW... the irony !!! talk about vitriol,,,, didums get the fragile feelings hurt???? Poor you🤣 Reminds me of the Biblical term. Those who see the mote in their neighbors eye, but fail to see the beam in their own ....have look in the mirror, Princess.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

with what the catholic church has done in America now with abortion theres no way it should still be allowed over there, rip down the churches and sell off everythign they own to pay for it

Advertisement