Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Bring in penalty shootout for draw games. Winner gets 2pts loser gets 1pt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Deduct points for clear dives or simulation ,or cheating off the ball in general,and also a foul and yellow card for obstruction shouldn't be limited to how dangerous a break away is,too often if a defender fouls a player in opposing half near their goal to stop a break away it's no card,yet same challenge in defenders half by same player is a card. /Rant 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Deduct a point for every 1K empty seats in your stadium on match day. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

An actual real wage cap like in La Liga would sort it. With a set of rules about how sponsors CANNOT be connected to the club in anyway shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Retrospective bans for diving and professional fouls not dealt with by the referee, it's sucking the life out of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

and a huge one, var officials miked up to ref ,heard by all, reasons for reviews mentioned,slow mo and full speed replays for ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Crazy that preseason starts in 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wouldn't have said no to kalvin Phillips at that price. You'd know what your getting and can play in a functional midfield system like ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I know we can't realistically match city's spending but I'm getting worried about next season. They've definitively gotten stronger and if anything we are slightly weaker with Nunez swapped with mane (at least for this season weaker). I really feel we need another midfielder. Something about Jones that I don't rate and hard to put my finger on it. Elliot, Carvalho and Ramsey could all be great but I doubt they'll have a big impact this season and more for the future buys (I hope I'm wrong).

Jones just isn’t that good, he is fine as a squad player to be used in domestic cup and dead rubber CL matches. I agree we need to sign a starting midfielder who is at a similar level to our first choice midfielders, but Kalvin Phillips is not at that level, I’ve seen reports that Pool passed when contacted by his agent as he was not their preferred option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Sorry yeah I should clarify I didn't mean we should have signed Phillips but he does strengthen city's squad (maybe not the first team). We need another midfielder for this season or else we're playing russian roulette with the midfield just as we did with defence not so long ago and let's face it our midfielders get injured relatively regularly. The last bullet proof midfielder we had was Gini

Post edited by jones on

Can’t understand people not rating Jones.

Looks a top quality prospect to me and will only get better with more time on the pitch. I have him well ahead of Elliott at the minute. He looks much more rounded.

Hard to compare as different types of player and 2 years age difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We don't know what other outgoings they are going to have though. Phillips could turn out to be a masterstroke and a bargain, or another Ake, a bench player for almost £50m. I would think he is going to have a hard time displacing Rodri from the base of the midfield and unless Silva and Gundogan leaves as well he is very much facing a uphill battle to make it in the first 11 for City. Then again maybe they change their shape with Haaland and need extra midfield protection to compensate for his style and Phillips is primed to be a starter.

City's squad is not as deep as people think, what they do have is quality players in certain areas but are weak in others. Look at how one injury derailed them in 2019-20 and with the hectic schedule next season we will see how each team copes if they have injuries. But then again they may get lucky and escape a lot of injuries. Add in the World Cup where you expect all of their squad except Haaland and Zinchenko to be away it will take a toll and we will just have to see what happens.

I do seem to remember a lot of negative feelings towards our prospects for the season from 2019 really, when we came so close and didn't sign anyone. But then we ran away with the league. The following season was bad luck with injuries and last year the same, questions whether VVD would be the same or if we had the depth to compete for the title. I am sure a lot of people thought we would be better concentrating on the CL as we had no chance against the might of City and Chelsea with Lukaku, but see how that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Midfield is where we are at most risk and this is primarily due to the historic injury records of Thiago, Keita and Hendo. The world cup will help us as a lot of starting 11 will not be playing & those that are there are likely not going to be starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’d been saying Gerrard’s equaliser against West Ham since the top 10 was announced but I actually can’t stop watching Origi’s over and over again. To be fair, it’s probably the right choice after all.

There’s a slim chance of seeing a goal like Gerrard’s in the same circumstances at some point in the future (not to take anything away from it), but there will never be another Liverpool goal like Origi’s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What a great way to spend 5 mins! Delighted for Origi - love the way he tapped the ball that was on the pitch away...then noncehelently walks back into position and then buries it.

We don't really rely on midfield that much offensively, that's why it's not a real issue, we just need it to be bland and effective defensively. We rely more on fullbacks.

City are very different, they play every midfielder it seems as a no9 here and there, or in front 3 randomly. All very creative, it's why they are so unpredictable and win a lot of game, everyone is so creative, while it's their back 4 that is bland and effective defensively.

If we did mix it up next season and play

We'd have to play more creative players in the middle, and have the full backs concentrate more on defending. Which might make us more solid.

____Fab________

________Thiago__

Salah_Firmino__Diaz

_____Nunez_______

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The league season is normally a marathon, instead due to the World Cup next season will be two mini-marathons. If Liverpool are within striking distance of top spot at the time of the enforced break in November then I would fancy our chances of winning the league. It's questionable as to whether half of the eligible Liverpool players will be called up for their national squads. In contrast, most of Man City's first team squad will be going to the World Cup and representing countries that will be expected to go deep into the competition. That could have a significant bearing on the performance levels of the players in the second half of the season.

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold(?), Konate(?), Van Dijk, Fabinho, Thiago(?), Henderson(?), Firmino(?), Jota, Nunez

Man City: Ederson, Steffen(?), Dias, Laporte(?), Stones, Ake, Walker, Cancelo, Rodri, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Silva, Sterling, Grealish, Foden, Jesus, Alvarez

Chelsea: Mendy, Silva, Chilwell(?), James, Alonso, Azpilicueta, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Havertz, Pulisic, Werner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Yeah sure, cos wages in general were considerably less back in 2015 but I'm sure if you compared their wages at the time to that of the worlds top earner/s it was close enough to what Mane is getting at Bayern compared to messi and his million a week wages or whatever he was getting at Barca before he left or Mbappe who is on God knows how much money etc at PSG currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If we don’t sign a CM there’s a strong argument that we are starting the new season with a weaker squad than last. Núñez would have to really hit the ground running for us to be stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, by all accounts this one has been done for a while. My nephew has played against him this year, very fast, very confident dribbler, just drives at defences non stop, so he said anyway.

Yeah I think this was first announed back in March great to see a young talented Irish kid get a chance at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Great to see, hopefully the two trents will become annoying/confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There's no doubt we are imo.

You can't expect a proven world class player like Mane to be replaced by potential like Nunez in his first season.

Only thing I'd add is the hope more of Robertson and Trent's high balls get gobbled up by Nunez but even then...not like Jota and Mane are bad in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I presume the rumours on twitter linking us to Porto winger Otavio are rubbish,think he can also play in midfield. No one reliable reporting it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Diaz is Manes replacement. We got him in early because of interest from other clubs.

• Advertisement

Rumour, Liverpool willing to sell Salah if they can get £60m. Also, Gini being released this summer by PSG. 😯 and 😯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Sell him..60 million, yep take it..

Sick of his bullshit..it's not all about money...Well sign the contract offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Im honestly kinda coming around to the idea of not been held to ransom at our big stars contract demands.. Take a fee for them if their contract is approaching its final year, they seemed happy enough this year and the team achieved alot but come summer "business time" of the year i can accept the clubs transfer strategy. Id be in the "take the money" boat regarding salahs situation, he is and will always be a club legend like Mane but id take the money "its also an example to other star players who might try this"

I’d prefer if he signed. Losing Mane and Salah is too much in one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Salah is going nowhere in this window or the next, I'd be very surprised if he didn't see out his current contract and leave on free next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

So would I.. just hate the saga, end it now or sign. Don't want him leaving on a free. We all know how the club works with money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭54and56

I don't get this emotional language, no one is holding anyone to "ransom". Salah has a year left on his contract at the end of which he can walk into any club in the world without a transfer fee. To stay at Liverpool Salah is asking for £X but the club are only prepared to pay £Y. That's life.

If Salah doesn't want to accept the clubs offer he walks next May unless another club comes along in the next few weeks who are prepared to pay the wages Salah wants + a transfer fee Liverpool will accept AND Salah wants to join them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

@54and56 .Well they are looking for a kings ransom or they will leave and not sign on. You said it - they leave if they honour their contract to the expiry date. Its football and has been the case since the Bosman rule. Mane and Salah are legends and dont get me wrong id love if Salah and the club could agree to an extension.

Listen I know what im on about , ive completed championship manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’d rather keep him for the year.

In a year when he’ll get over a month off to recharge in the middle, if we keep him we’ve a major chance at winning something big. Lose him and Mane together, and it becomes a rebuilding year.

With City continuing to spend, the Saudi Magpies only a couple years off, a decent manager at Utd, and new owners at Chelsea, this coming season feels like a real final opportunity in this cycle to grab some trophies before the competition ratchets up even further. But only if we’ve got Mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I'm hoping we get another Suarez and Sturridge scenario with Nunez and Salah which might convince Salah to stay on after a prolific season of goals.

I'm really interested to see how the South American flair works between Diaz and Nunez.

• Advertisement

FFS look at the sh!t bag source for the Salah rumor.

Morel likely a rumor started in Spain. Real wanted Mbappe, thought it was a done deal, so Haaland wasn't a concern, then they missed out on both. Even Haaland must be thinking to himself, if not regretting what could have been, as he's a status and money man, if Real wanted him he'd be gone, but he signed with City and Mbappe was all but signed with Real.

So Real do need Salah, and if they came knocking with a good offer we'd take it, and invest it wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Losing Salah and Mane in the same window would be an absolute disaster and would effectively end our title challenge for next year before the season even starts!

Lucas returned home to Brazil going full circle rejoining Gremio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If we sign Bellingham next summer it will be first time our fans sing ‘Hey Jude’ in anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

IIRC there was a lot of doom and gloom round here before the season started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I see Andros Townsend had a good rant about Klopp getting his own way with the 5 subs next season.

Everton's Andros Townsend:

"I love how Jurgen Klopp has found a way to get his way. He’s been moaning for years. They have been pushing back, and finally, they have given him his five substitutions.

“He will probably still use two or three in the biggest games. But who are we to argue with him? In the biggest games, Liverpool and Manchester City, they use one or two subs. They don’t use the four.

“It’s the games against Crystal Palace or Brentford, [when] they can’t break teams down, [when it's] 11 behind the ball. Then it's, ‘right, can we bring on five world-class internationals who are fresher and can change the game?’ That’s where it becomes unfair.

“Clearly a lot [Jurgen’s sway in the Premier League]. I think we saw last season, even the season before, constantly banging on and banging on. Votes on votes on votes. Getting pushed back, then all of a sudden, they announced the five subs eventually.

Last season again, moaning about the schedule, moaning about this and that, then all of a sudden, I think it was BT Sport putting a game on Saturday evening, which I had never seen before in the Premier League.

“All of this moaning - moaning puts pressure to give him what he wants and he has got what he wants on many occasions." 🤔 #LFC [talksport]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

5 subs allowed and he wouldn’t even get off the bench for our reserves. Love the bitterness. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Yes, Klopp was able to get 13 other clubs to vote with him because he moaned a lot...lets see what the Southampton manager had to say about it,

"Added Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl: "There's no surprise, we've spoken a lot of times about it. For us, I think [five substitutes] will be a game-changer, it's very intense the way we play.

"It helps, definitely. There are some arguments from the small clubs [saying] not to do it because of the sporting difference we have with the biggest clubs, but I always see it as an advantage for us.""

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4630827/premier-league-clubs-to-reintroduce-five-substitutes-rule-from-next-season

Yes, he agrees, Klopp moaned them into agreeing with the change. But this is good, it means Klopp lives rent free not just in Pep's head and City fans, but also Everton players and their fans as they will jump on this. Good times.

City won the league, can't argue with that, but if you asked who the best team was in England in that moment they won the league then the answer is Liverpool. 3 Finals, and the best team in the PL since game 19. If it was a horse race then City just held on, while Liverpool just failed. But currently on form we're the best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement