Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Whoever went to Glastonbury for the main stage headliners? I was there all of the 90s and half of the 00s and in all those years i think i saw three main stage headliners: Carter USM (92), The Cure (95) and Gorillaz (2010). It's really not important. There is so much going on that it really doesn't matter who's headlining the pyramid.

I hate this box ticking exercise of seeing 'legends' before they die. "Saw the Stones last week, yeah they were shite but hey..at least i saw them". I'd rather go see someone i love / an up and coming act / stumble upon something random and quirky than just tick an act off a list. Noel Gallagher and Thom Yorke were right in that documentary shown last week when they talked about 'Glastonbury Moments'. It's nonsense. I was never at any of them (apart from Orbital in '94) but i created and shared many of my own that had absolutely nothing to do with main stages and the tv coverage. The coverage has always been uniformly crap in presenting a represenation of the festival itself. At least when John Peel was hosting you could feel his disdain for a lot of the acts shown rather than towing the 'Everything is brilliant isn't it?' line that the other hosts are so fond of.

Like Stillill42 said, there's loads of good music being made out there, it's up to you to keep up with it or discover it. Admittedly, most of my favourite things will never see the inside of a festival (in Ireland anyway) but the 'mildly interested in' will usually get in the gates!

If i could thank this a million times i would.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Fontaines just blowing everything else away with the opening track.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

So it's just the 'being there' factor that matters not the quality of the music??

The organisers must be laughing up their sleeves 😙 a licence to print money

You are "relying on" some up bitter lemons right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

^^^^

wah ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Come on, Frosty. He's saying it sells out regardless. They pick who they want, they don't have to base it on selling tickets. They weren't relying on Macca to sell tickets, they picked him because they thought he'd be a fecking amazing headliner. Which most people who were actually there seem to agree with. If there's anyone in here actually arguing that Glasto's not trying with their lin ups, they need to have a word with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Fontaines doing a great job... Not really my bag but am enjoying them live.. live from my living room that is... Re headliners..you'll be ernget agreement..I walked away from Radiohead in 2017...as fan i thought their set was so so boring.. plenty loved it.. that's the beauty of glasto and festivals in general..you can always walk away and find something to suit you... If yer stuck with bbc at home well obviously youre stuck with whatever is on if you don't have the iPlayer.. thought Paul's band were great and he was possibly let down by sound engineering.. he pulled off a lot of the solo tunes imo.. a pal who is there said it was fantastic..

Fontaines DC putting in the performance of the weekend. It's like they've all done a couple of lines of speed.

Seeing them on Sat. Will be gig number four of the week for me things are that compressed this June. Annie Clarke in Fairview Park tonight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

Fair play to the guys/gals with the "This is our fuppin' shpot" flag. First spotted it at supergrass on Friday, and they've managed to get to great spots on the stages over the weekend 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone make out the message on the irish tricolour?

there's one with a smiley and then there's another one with writing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

The "this is our fuppin' shpot" one is on an Irish flag. Quality Fr Ted reference there....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

on the other side it should say...'careful now' 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wouldn't be a fan of Kendrick Lamar (too old) but there is no doubting he is certainly headline material.

This happens a lot.. You have three opposing opinions:

1 it's all old fogies. Glasto is stuck in the past.

2 These new acts aren't big or good enough to headline. Glasto isn't what it was.

3 Those of us who actually go and know that there is more to the place than 3 headline acts.

There is a diversity problem regarding the acts and audience but it is improving, thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Maybe it's my sound system or the BBC sound, but Diana Ross sounds like she is just phoning it in. Pretty bad performance to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Havenowt

She is 78, voice sounds shook. Shows how good McCartney voice was last night he being 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Her voice has left the building. The class band and good vibe of the crowd are carrying her along

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

No sign of Amyl & The Sniffers on the iPlayer

hopefully show up at some stage. Amy is a force of nature on stage

Edit: Found them under John Peel stage feed.

What is the fuss with Fontaines DC? He's shouting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ross sounds better than I thought she would at her age tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Her voice was great a few weeks ago at the Queens Jubilee.

Too good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Xander10

I was just thinking how wobbly her voice is. Just about getting away with it and the crowd singing along

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Havenowt

I didn't see the Queen's jubilee celebrations...

I think her voice is very flat. McCartney is two years older and his voice was ten times better

Reading her lyrics on a monitor is not a good look

• Registered Users Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

She’s in danger here of losing the crowd, as not that many people actually know the words here….

edit: What a save….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Xander10

My poor ears....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Plug her out ffs

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They give most of it to Greenpeace, and ensure that even the smallest stages' lowest billed act at least gets a token payment, so there is no way that the Eavises could be accused of doing things for a profit motive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

She's 78 like, bit much to be expecting her voice not to have aged as well.

Still a great show IMO

Advertisement