Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'd check the oil flow and level in the tractor as a starting point. Other thing to look at is if there is a check valve on the ram which is failing - not sure how you'd go about confirming that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Could be any of 3 problems.

1. maybe the arms are strained out of the original position

2. Seals could be going in the ram causing it to creep open slightly

3. Not enough flow from the tractor ( this could be any reason, but the 1st place to look would be quick release coupling both male and female. Next would be the 3rd service valve.

Best port of call would be try the handler on someone else tractor first

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Thanks folks. Might try get them to try with another tractor. That would identify if its tractor or handler issue I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

How could you know something like that? I wouldn’t be telling my neighbours about anything to do with my finances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭straight

Ah you'd know alright. Some lads think it's completely normal to get finance for everything and see nothing wrong with it. A guy around here couldn't get finance for one robot but they would finance two. I believe he has a bit of a cashflow problem now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Done the sums here on a 3 robot set-up between repayments/service contract/extra chemicals and electric versus a conventional parlour, for the 7 years of the financed period you'd be looking at paying out a 85k a year extra versus my current set-up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

What's the life of a robot. Isn't it something like 10 years and you need to think about upgrading as the maintenance gets expensive after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Nah jay is talking bs. What neighbour would tell any neighbour they got refused finance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

I've a neighbour n I often say to the missus - I'm his shrink, accountant, solicitor, teagasc advisor n engineering advisor etc, all rolled into a one stop shop! He does me a few turns during the year so swings n roundabouts.

Some lads would tell your their life story warts n all, some would tell you how successful they are n most would say nothing. It'd get boring if we were all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭straight

Heard of a lad working on a building site before. Middle of lunch he says " I was in the middle of shagging the wife last night and she said to me "Do you know what you mother said to me today?" That was the end of that anyway." There was sandwiches flying out of his colleagues mouths. Plenty people share too much information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Grueller

I don't know GTM. I know several lads about the place up to the neck in merchant credit and making no attempt to pay.

Word has a way of getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭jaymla627

This lad would tell you his life story, he had paid lely the couple of thousand to boot that they look for to come out and design the yard layout etc, along with acting as a holding deposit, he honestly thought it was only a formality to get the finance he's currently putting 140 cows through a clapped out 30 year old 10 unit spending 6 hours a day milking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

On a cost point of view I can't see how they can compete when you need 3 plus really. You'd have a serious herringbone set up for that and 3 robots would prob rattle rotary on a cost basis with nowhere near the capacity.

Still looking into a getting a new to us cattle trailer. Used a fresh IW and thought it was very light in construction. Does anyone know what thickness of material is used in the main brands now or are they all the same?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The way the material is put together would be of equal importance to it's thickness imo. I wouldn't have much faith in the IW especially if hauling cows or bigger cattle. There a grand trailer for sheep, light and easy pulled with well designed and user friendly decks. However pop rivets and lightweight hardware aren't compatible with cows/big cattle.

The second hand market is red hot atm the same as all other machinery but I'd be looking more towards something like a Nugent, Hudson, Porter, Hamilton ect that would be better built and able for a bit of abuse. I bought a 12x6 Porter last year and I'm very impressed with it being honest. It depends on you're budget atm, it doesn't take much to make €5K and maybe spend another €1k or 2 on brakes, lights, tires ect afterwards. I was taking to a man lately who bought a new 14" IW with decks recently at €14,500, it's wild money for what it is.

I was disappointed n the IW. Was a lot more rattley than I expected. They are still the darling of the market though for some reason. Albeit there does seem to be more of an impact in market now from Nugent and a few others.

The Falcon seems like a well made trailer, but too fresh for second hand market.

BTW - has anyone seen one of these trailers with a safe method of opening the internal dividing door for cattle?

There's a lot of Nugent trailers locally due to a number of dealers offering finance deals which has allowed a lot of lad's to upgrade in recent year's. IW seem to keep there value well and there like the McDonald's of the trailer world in that there instantly recognizable.

Tuffmac would be another brand that's well represented locally and seem to be a decent trailer. Falcon are a copy of Hudson and are only on the market for the last couple of year's.

As for the dividing gate is it really that much of an issue? It's not something you'll use every day and I've never had any great issues with it so far. With my Porter there's just a spring loaded handle that requires a straight pull away the recieving hole. If you wanted you could probably tie a strong rope to it and open the gate from the outside by threading the rope through the side vent but it's not something I'd deem necessary tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The last load of cattle I brought to the factory went through the double gates of the lorry when the driver opened the ramp...... they were that wild.

The last bull I had bred right wild hoors, turned me right off suckling

You'll have stock like that but there in the minority. Also I'm assuming the gates on the lorry were timber as opposed to steel or aluminium?

I encounter a lot of stock on a weekly basis and the worst setup is generally a single wild beast in a small trailer. The fact that there on there own makes them even more stressed and in a small trailer there's no means of distancing themselves from the person letting them off. With a bigger trailer they might retreat to the front of it while you're opening the ramp and gates.

A lot of the loading and dividing gates aren't made of strong enough material to begin with. If a fair sized animal puts pressure on them they bend or the hinges fail. As for timber loading gates there a thing of the past especially with any stock bigger than sheep or suck calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea Steel cross members with timber up rights, as soon as they saw the light the first few started to jump the gates, even though the gap was small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Have nugent 12x6 stock trailer here I bought new in 2017,..its an OK trailer but its no ivor Williams..everything on it is rougher finished than an ivor and it's a much heavier trailer to pull

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have a Murphy one, good strong trailer.

Hmming and hahhing over whether to look at 12ft or 14ft triaxles. Would be tractor pulled as it saves the jeep and isn't much slower over the distance. The extra 2ft wouldn't save a load when shifting them, but might be easier to look at than wish for. Hitch legality when fully loaded is the same regardless of the towing vehicle so 12ft might be the sensible option. Tried getting someone to haul for us, but with working PT it didn't really work out having to plan around them.

In relation to the dividing gate, just because they have always been that way doesn't mean they can be improved upon. On a 6ft wide trailer they could frame the division gate and hold 2ft of it solid to allow the operator to stand in there when opening - rather than having to sprint down the tripper potentially tripping in front of them, or getting squeezed by them forcing past him inside the trailer.

Might not be feasible on an IW TA5, but certainly would be workable on their TA510.

I'm not really a fan of the latching mechanism on the IW division gates - it's never failed on us, but I think it would be a more robust latch if it hooked into the side rail rather than just slide in like a bar gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

If it’s for use behind the tractor, you might be better off looking for something that was made for a tractor? It will be far better built than any of the jeep trailers….Probably not as much choice out there second hand thought.

Tractor drawn trailers are mostly 8ft wide. I think emaherx had to place a special request to get his trailer made narrower. We have a narrow access laneway and it just wouldn't suit. Plus the back roads are just a bit too narrow for that sort of width.

You'd be as well off going for the 14" especially if towing behind the tractor most of the time. The extra weight won't be an issue and you'll have the bit of extra capacity when needed. Granted you'll be over the legal towing limit of the hitch when loaded but you could probably exceed that with a 10x6 with 3 big cattle on board.

If you're going using the tractor as a towing vehicle I'd definitely be looking at something a bit more substantial than a IW. The weight of the trailer won't be as much of an issue compared to towing with a jeep and it should stand up to a bit more wear and tear. Whatever you buy make sure that the hitch is configured in such a way as to keep the trailer level behind the tractor. You see lads going about with the hitch way to high and the arse of the trailer dragging the ground. The back axle is carrying all the weight in that scenario and something will have to give sooner rather than later.

I agree re the mechanisms on the IW dividing gates, particularly the newer versions. You'd see similar setups holding the door of a chicken coop closed. How they expect then to stand up to cattle pressing and turning around against them I honestly don't know.

As for making a safe refugee behind one end of the dividing gate that would be a worthwhile modification. Some of the higher spec lorry bodies are built like you described but I've never seen it on a trailer. However there'd be nothing stopping you manufacturing you're own dividing gate to that design and retrofitting it. Especially with the likes of Porter where the gate simply hangs off a rail inside and a spud on the floor and closes to a flat plate with a hole in it on the opposite side. If you hung a gate the full length and put a smaller gate 2/3 the length inside the main frame you'd have a good strong job and still retain the best of both worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Albert,

have you noticed a change at any of the marts yet re: the towing vehicle

would you see many tractors towing trailers these days ? Or is the Landcruiser still king.

maybe with diesel at c. €10 a gallon - a lot of smaller farms / possibly with a commute to work too may find it hard to justify the Jeep these days

Advertisement