Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2022-23 - mod note in OP 12/03/23

• 16-06-2022 6:14pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

2022/23 Fixtures are out so time for a new thread to discuss the Premier League

380 games to come with a break for the World Cup which is sure to impact the season in unusual ways

Mod Note: 12/03/23 - this is a general thread to discuss the Premier League.

If you support a Premier League team you should be aware you are likely to read posts that are not always complimentary about the team you like. You are welcome to make counter points but you are not welcome make comments about posters or fans of a club in response to points you don't like. Posters doing so will receive forum cards and or thread bans.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That big break is gonna be great for some clubs and a real momentum killer for others. Gonna be interesting to see what the different teams at different levels do. The European clubs have a big schedule before the November break, with games nearly every midweek and weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A season like no other beckons - bring it on I say !!

Shock for someone waking up for a long coma that the tournament is happening around now. Sure they promised they'd build temperature-controlled stadiums and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Fixtures for 2022-23

First Round TV fixtures

Friday 5 August

Crystal Palace v Arsenal - (20:00) - Sky Sports

Saturday 6 August

Fulham v Liverpool - (12:30) - BT Sport

Everton v Chelsea - (17:30) - Sky Sports

Sunday 7 August

Man Utd v Brighton - (14:00) - Sky Sports

West Ham v Man City - (16:30) - Sky Sports

TV Fixtures announcement dates

August/September - 5th July

October - 29th July

November - 13th September

December/January - 11th October

February - 6th December

March - 25th January

April - 21st February

GW35 - 23rd March

GW36 - 30th March

GW37 - 7th April

GW38 - After GW37

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

City reportedly interested in Cucurella to give them cover at left back. Would make them really strong in that area. Cancelo played nearly every game last season, and Pep doesn’t like to play people in every game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Mane was one of the best players to ever play in the PL, he operated at such a high level for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Unbelievable player, the 2 seasons where Liverpool got 97 and 99 points I actually thought he was better than Salah for that period. He beat his man at ease everytime he took anyone on and looked unstoppable at times those seasons. However, he has not been the same player the last 2 seasons, the move to centre forward in January seems to somewhat rejuvenated him so it will be interesting to see if Bayern intended on playing him in the same role...

Looks like Man United fans organised a protest at the family home of new CEO Richard Arnold. They previously went to, and attacked Woodward's house too along with the training ground and stadium.

Instead, Arnold took the lads to his local pub and talked them through lots of issues and things like transfers. They recorded it on the sly and have uploaded a few videos on twitter tonight on the below page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Roman era is completely over now.

Marina Granovskaia set to leave Chelsea & Bruce Buck agrees to relinquish 20-year role as chairman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Strange how Southampton have such a high most expensive ticket and one of the lowest season ticket prices.

must really roll out the 5 star treatment at St.Mary’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Spurs have the best stadium in the league so no surprise to see it so expensive.

The cheapest price can be misleading, i know Man city have very few at that price range and usually single seats so you cant get two beside each other.

a breakdown of quantity versus cost would give a better idea, but in all honesty most people except the people buying them probably dont care enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

First season in a long time that I've really looked forward to one where there is ambition beyond trying to finish 17th. I'm hopeful of a top 10 finish at least and perhaps a finish in one of the European spots at best and hopefully a decent run in both cups as well.

Reports that Everton are trying to sign Harry Winks. What is wrong with that club! Are they trying to get relegated!!!

Pope the latest to leave Burnley. Those asset strippers are doing a great job running Burnley.

10m seems a bargain although i always thought dubravka was decent. Be interesting to see if Pope is anything more than a shot stopper, if newcastle want to compete they will need a progressive goalkeeper.

I’d say Pope was only allowed to play a certain way at Burnley. He is an upgrade on Dubravka and that’s how they’ll have to do things, incrementally.

My wider point was about how Burnley are f****d. This time last year they were safe and had £40m in the bank. They were the subject of a leveraged buy out and now they are being run into the ground. Owners will walk away with a fortune, debt left on the club and fans will have to suffer, the wonderful world of capitalism at work. Kompany better hope City give him 5/6 good loanees.

Post edited by doc_17 on

• Advertisement

Mod: post removed

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

This is not the case at all, City spend very wisely and for the most part do great business.

No fan wants there clubs to look like a mug.

To be honest I should not have even replied as your post is nothing but toxic.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Mod: post removed

Post edited by DM_7 on

Paying up to £50m for Kelvin Phillips is almost the definition of largesse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

What's there to address, City spend money on good players and are usually on the right side of there transfers. They have made some some wrong transfers but for the most part do great business. These transfers and spending have led to success and Silverware. They spend a lot of money , but so does most of the Elite clubs in the world.

What 130 million players did City buy that they don't care works out? What sponsorship deals are you worried about ?Your post has zero content.

What non sense are you talking about when you say 'where the fun is for the ‘fans’ without the jeopardy' you cant see enjoyment and disappointment that was had in the PL and CL last season.

That whole 'fans' rant at end, what's the point of that, just throw a sly dig to some of the United fans.

Howard Webb is replacing Mike Riley at PGMOL

Man U finally got their man in place as the head of all referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I had to Google what you were on about bringing Man Utd into a post about Howard Webb. I take it you've been reading the Sun again...

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/9004444/man-utd-transfer-howard-webb-premier-league-referee/

Post edited by Brendan Flowers on

The old age joke for years was that Webb was always uniteds best player due to his favoritism towards them.

Interesting he is back, he will be under pressure everytime united get a decision now esp in this social media age which he didnt have to put up with when refereeing.

For what its worth I always thought he was a decent ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Here's a fairly easy 131M on just 4 very questionable players:

Mendy (50M)

Danillo (30M)

Angelino (11M)

Ake (40M)

That's before including the likes of Stones who was never worth 50M at the time of his transfer. You'd certainly not get near recovering the fees on Stones or Ake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

They made a profit on Angelino and Danilo when they sold them. Hardly city's fault that Mendy turned out to be nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Imagine the best teams being perceived to get more decisions in their favour. Certainly wouldn't hear about it these days. Hilarious the attempts to try keep United down. They can do it themselves.

Yeah the leveraged buy outs are a disgrace I mean you either have the money/credit to buy the asset or you don't being allowed to shovel your debt onto a club is scandalous. FWIW Burnley seem to be making good moves in transfer market signed the really promising Scott Twine from MK Dons he was league 1 Player of the season.

City selling Jesus for roughly the same as they are signing Haaland….Haaland is a smart operator.

Great point from Townsend he's bang on the money nothing to do with player welfare all to do with the super league 6 gaining yet another advantage over the rest.

Klopps incessant bellyaching about this was nauseating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Liverpool have just come out of a season where they have played 63 games. The World and her mother were all saying how tired the players looked in May. I think he has a point.

Andros only managed 21 appearances last season - perhaps he fears competition!

• Advertisement

Yep just ignore that the law makers have made 5 subs the law now for the world game so they had to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Even when someone in the sport is finally speaking up and trying to advocate positive change for player welfare, you'll still have muppets like Townsend putting them down.

Klopp isn't the bad guy here, no matter how some will try to paint it. Bitter Andros just wants to make himself relevant again somehow as he's not able to do it on a football pitch anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

As last season started I thought the 5 subs would just have unfairly helped the bigget budget clubs but based on how the season unfolded I think I was wrong in that assumption.

City and Liverpool still got over 90 points in a condensed season with long European runs and cup games added to the mix. Burnley, Norwich and Watford were all well short of the 40 point mark with southampton getting to 40 (in 15th). Leeds and Everton also fell short of 40points.

It may have cost City and Liverpool more in Europe to have had less rotation compared to Real Madrid who had 5 subs to work with all season but that is back to assumptions more than fact.

In La liga the bottom 6 were 39points or less so only one point less than England (where Southampton got 40). In England the top 4 lost 22 games, in La Liga the top 4 lost 24 games. In England they drew 30 games, in La Liga 42.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Booooooo Klopp.... Bellayaching Klopp etc

The fact that he is right is clearly lost on you.

It was a lot more than Klopp that wanted 5 subs but he is the easy target for talksport and the likes. Obviously Townsend lapped it up.

The clubs voted for the 5 subs. Why doesn't he direct his anger towards who voted that way for Everton? He might have to play a bit more now, maybe that's why he doesn't want it.

• Advertisement

Wait if Klopp has that much power to make the preimer league change the rules he should start by making it so other teams playing Liverpool can only start 5 players against Liverpool's 11 and Liverpool get 4 points for a win and everyone else gets negative 2 points for a win.

He might try that next I mean he was already trying to dictate how Spurs should play his team when they had the temerity to set their team up in a way he didn't like.

Aww diddums can the poor elite multi million euro athletes not run around for 270 minutes a week no? The difference in quality between the 4th and 5th subs the likes of city liverpool spurs arsenal man utd etc can bring on compared to forest bournemouth fulham villa everton leeds etc is absolutely massive and is just another benefit for the elite on top of all the other advantages they already have.

The naivety of some on here who believe Klopp was going to bat for player welfare is hilarious though I suspect many are not naive at all and support this precisely because it benefits their club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The rules have been in place across Europe for a while now, and the argument you're making just hasn't been borne out in reality.

The 4th or 5th Liverpool sub may be better than Bournemouths 4th/5th sub - but the gap between the 4th or 5th player coming off for Liverpool and the lad coming on tends to be larger than the gap between the lower level starter and sub, particularly in games against the bigger sides where energy is the key addition. The data seems to have borne out that adding more fresh legs helps the smaller sides more, as they battle to hold firm later in games. It's no surprise that the top sides score way more goals late on, as their opposition tires. This change allows more of a refresh for sides hanging in there, so they can do a better job of maintaining first half intensity when it counts in the second half.

Sure just look at the last game-day of the season as both Liverpool and City come back as the opposition simply ran out of legs - their attacking approaches weren't working till the ~75th minute, and it just took the opposition running out of steam for both teams to get the breakthrough. 2 extra changes to add fit players to bring back some energy and maybe one or both of Villa or Wolves are able to hang on for a draw/win.

The other 15 clubs that voted for five subs had no real say it then it was all on klopp townsend should be on mastermind with a chosen subject the voting rules of the premier league.

Can you give examples from the leagues that had 5 subs in place last season to prove any significant advantage?

I mentioned earlier how I thought it would be an advantage in theory but I don't see proof of that in other leagues when comparing the outcome to the premier league last season.

I gave a la liga compared to premier league example earlier and can add that in Germany the top 4, despite playing 34 games rather than 38 the top 4 lost more games than the top 4 in England (32 v 22). Seria A was 23.

England - top 4 lost 22 (had 3 subs)

La Liga - top 4 lost 24 (had 5 subs)

Seria A - top 4 lost 23 (had 5 subs)

Bundesliga - top 4 lost 32 (had 5 subs and less games)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Don't you be coming on here now, armed with actual facts, that totally disprove other people's misplaced beliefs.

You are as bad as Pepsichallenge trying to say that more than Liverpool voted it in!!

This now brings the Premier League in line with both English cup competitions, and the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Jasus do people on here actually believe that Klopp alone has the power to enforce this rule! Didn't the Premier League say last year that they would be introducing the 5 sub rule for the 2022/23 to align with the rest of world football and Klopp's major issue was he couldn't understand why they waited the extra year. Townsend's own manager is one of the other managers who called for the 5 subs last year too, did he air his grievances with him?

Just looking at premier league last season it appears the bottom 4 last season got 4 points, in total, from games against top 4 sides.

I am not sure 3 or 5 subs would make that return change a whole lot?

The real challenge for clubs with lesser resources is competing against teams that are much lower down the league. So a Nottingham Forest will have to get points against promoted or recently promoted sides while also finding a way to compete with more established sides with premier league squads like Wolves or Southampton.

Liverpool making 3 subs or 5 subs won’t be the reason that teams get relegated next season. On a totally unrelated note, it’s gonna be really annoying playing FF and seeing your players not get 90 mins more often.

Teams will make their third sub earlier now than before as they won’t be as worried about injuries. That’s about the only real meaningful change it will make.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement