Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭apache

Everybody is different. What works for one person might not work for another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ive been on sertraline for a couple of years now, first time on an anti-d, so far so good, but i would like to slowly withdraw from them now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hi All,

I was involved in a car crash last year which has made forced me to take sick leave with back pain for the past year.

The time off has done me no favors in terms of my mental health.

My anxiety has become quite bad for the first time in years and the sense of doom hanging over me in horrible.

I'm at the stage where minor thing are pushing me over the edge and setting me into full blown panic. The time off has made me realize the job I have is not for me anymore. I applied for a new job and had an interview the other day but I'm still scared to even open my emails incase I get a rejection letter which will set me off in full blown panic. My mind goes blank and I burst out in sheer panic mode.

I just feel soo trapped in life atm.. Very difficult.. I just needed a rant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Hi OP, just want to say I'm sorry you've been going through a horrible time. I've also experienced a car crash leaving me with a mild brain injury and it has been a roller-coaster to say the least. If car crashes have taught us anything it's that life is short. I know it can be hard to deal with further upset with potential rejection, I wonder if seeking treatment for your mental health might be helpful? I know I've needed it and it's def helped.

Hi,

I did try Beta Blockers and Anti depressants recently but I'm too sensitive to changes in how I feel to be on any drugs. The drugs heightened my anxiety 100 times worse than normal. I've even given up coffee in the last few weeks and I love my coffee :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi @carzony sorry to hear about your predicament, i'm refusing to stop working, i was out once years ago and it was a horrible time so that drives me i guess. Try see if there is a local service that can help like here in galway there is ability west..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Same, I had a horrible experience with different meds and decided meds just aren't for me so I found counselling much more helpful, I wonder if you would be open to that. I'm also applying for jobs atm for the past year but it's prob harder as my sector is much smaller n not many jobs available in it, it does upset you but I've decided to take the pressure off myself, if i get something grand and if I don't grand, I'm sure something will pop up when the time is right. Surviving on disability benefit is impossible but what can you do.

I've been having unbelievably high anxiety all day to the point of panic attacks. Then I got the email I dreaded the job application was rejected. I'm actually at the stage where I'm dreading tomorrow. It's another day i've to fight through :(

The feeling of dread. The feeling that the walls are closing in on me is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 relaed

I feel like having a rant.

I had on paper a lovely weekend but tonight I sit here absolutely drowning in anxiety and feeling like the only person in the world who feels like this (even though logically I know that's not true).

I just feel so sad. Almost sorry for myself that I got cursed with this anxiety and feeling like the weight of the world is on my shoulders.

My lovely weekend involved me taking my boyfriend to see the places I grew up playing and exploring and it's my first time in 15 or 20 years visiting those places. I had a very difficult childhood and lots of tragedy and death, but I thought I was ready to see these places again. I think it was too much for my brain though, i think this is what's overwhelmed me. Subconsciously i remember being there with late family members and the heartache returns. And now I know I won't sleep as my heart is racing.

And I guess I just want to hug me and tell me to cop on, stop overthinking every little thing. Stop scanning every scenario in my life looking for how it will go wrong.

My period is due in a few days and I always feel low the few days before. I should know that this will all be fine in a few days and try to distract myself from this low feeling now. But it's like I search for reasons to justify my anxiety. A friend didn't respond to my text earlier so I tell myself I must have upset her somehow or she doesn't care about me as much as I do about her. And then I think of every time in our years of friendship where she kinda let me down and I tell myself she's not a true friend. And of course tomorrow she will text as normal and I'll feel stupid for these thoughts.

I look back through life and how many good times have been ruined by my stupid over thinking and anxiety and always looking for problems or negative outcomes. Most of these things never happen. I'm angry at myself for not just being able to live in the moment and enjoy myself fully. I know life is short. I know I only get one chance. Why do I allow my silly mind to cast a cloud on the good moments and memories?

It's so frustrating and I just feel like crying.

I should be totally happy right now. At this moment i have no reason not to be happy. So why do I want to go to bed, have a good cry and sleep for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Have you tried cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) ?. A lot of what you are saying is very similar to myself and this worked very well for me. I'm only 11 months out of hospital from a 6 Month stay as I had a traumatic brain injury and when I went into the rehabilitation hospital the psychiatrist went into my past and found and gave me answers to things I wouldn't have thought of before.

I'm not working yet as I am still recovering but I will one day as I love to travel and I cannot do that on disability allowance. It also helps me form a routine too.

Maybe try that and see how things go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

" I know I only get one chance"

I got a second chance, It was 50/50 if I would survive. The past is the past, I'm building something else now and looking forward.

Don't be too hard on yourself, have some faith 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

first attempt at telehealth counseling - seriously was no help whatsoever.

is that a particular phone related service, or just general phone related counselling? my own therapist offered zoom support during covid, i never availed of it, i just dont think id be comfortable with it

Phone counseling although they preferred zoom counseling. Never dealt with this person before, could be we just didn't mesh (we reeeeallllly didn't mesh, irritatingly so).

Hi Guys,

I've a zoom counselling session on the 20th but like the posts above, I'm not holding out much hope.

I'm hoping for a very chilled weekend but I can feel the anxiety getting to me already.

I find the weekends the hardest for some reason.

Anyone up to much this weekend ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm working, i should probably be out sick but tyhat won't pay bills. I see my psychologist face to face thankfully, i've had an aversion to phone calls and the like since i was a kid.

Working also keeps your mind active so that's positive. Being out of work for me has been a disaster in relation to my mental health.

I'm pushing through exactly because of what you say. Being out of work is scary. Hope you are managing ok-ish

When the anxiety hits it's rough and leaves me breathless. Not having a routine or social interactions with colleagues is something I miss at the moment. It sounds awful but I plan on spending tomorrow in bed just to pass the weekend in quicker.

Gremlinertia: Apologies for the late reply, this doesn't seem to notify me when a reply has been posted anymore.

Don't worry about when you reply. Don't think email notifications work anymore, if you haven't already done it go to the top of the page and toggle the bookmark icon, might help..

My heart was hopping out of my chest for a while this evening. Awful feeling. I don't communicate much with colleagues, it's too much for me to make small talk or water cooler chat or whatever.. The structure of it all is what i need

• Advertisement

i dont have a whole pile of experience with different therapists, but i do get the whole meshing thing, im not sure the previous one i seen is for me, hes a really nice guy, very helpful, but..... he offered zoom supports throughout covid, but i never availed, like many others, i have an element of aversion to phones, i suspect its common enough with many disorders, including my own

i wouldnt overly worry about your zoom calls, they could be very helpful, see what happens i guess, best of luck with it

i think many find weekends the hardest, ive gone through stages of that myself, love them now, and the weather is just fantastic

nothing really planned, we were hoping to be going camping and kayaking in the next few days, but nothing truly planned yet

Hey Guys,

My situation is still pretty much the same but I've stopped drinking coffee since Saturday and my anxiety is nowhere near as high as it was.

As much as it pains me to say it, reducing coffee intake is definitely a way to fight off anxiety.

Let's hope the anxiety stays like this for me 🤞🤞

gave up drinking caffeinated tea years ago, but have taken on a coke addiction, tis working wonders for my anxiety!

I miss the coffee soo much and it's really my only bad habit.. I'll stay off it for now and maybe try drink it again when I return to work properly.

I was very sick recently and went off everything including my beloved coffee, I am only now starting to sip small amounts of very weak decaf in a day (with equal amounts of milk), but only because I do enjoy the taste of coffee, but really dont want the anxiety related to caffeine anymore.

I don't drink alcohol, fizzy drinks or smoke. My main thing was coffee and now I can't even have it.. Raging :( But my anxiety is soo much lower it's almost gone for the last few days. It's gotta be related to the decreased caffeine intake.

Well done, glad it's almost gone, hope it continues and you can find something you like the taste of.... I am partial to mint tea (refreshing), never been into alcoho, sweet or fizzy drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

This heat is plaguing me. Makes me stay up late working, for 28 hours, then sleep for the same. No coffee needed. Then get the feeling of doom and gloom, hence the sleeping for excess amount.

Have tasks need doing with deadlines looming, and that's been plaguing my mind. Anything I have to do something, I get the perfectionist streak, and it messes with my head. I don't procrastinate, I do start at it. But my 'perfectionist' stream kicks in, and I become a headwrecker to people around me.

I did get more time to do the task at hand, but I don't want that extra time. Just want to get every task done and dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Back on for a bit to offload.

To those comments above, avoid coffee like the plague. Definitely makes my anxiety go into overdrive and turns me into an absolute b*****. Trying to stick to tea but maybe I should drop that too. FFS. I really love coffee, but !

Feeling really **** with anxiety and depression.

Have had a week's holiday away, but with the family it just felt like more of the same in a different location. Anxiety and depression just drains the life out of everything. Can't even relax without beating myself up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Getting off boards again.

Climate, ecological, water, food crisis and I see one guy on here wants to convert 2 acres of rural land to lawn and some other thread where people happily discussing artificial grass.

The world is **** mad. It's not me. I can't believe how universally **** stupid and ignorant we are.

Advertisement