Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

Ah sure, you can't be starting a civil war about everything. Nobody had even heard of the abolition of slavery a few years back or the right for women to vote. Cause these kinds of things could have been said at any point in history. At the point when a society attempts to regress civil rights, there's something pretty awful happening.

Also the reality is, abortions will continue to happen. It's just gonna make it more difficult for certain people to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I asked upthread if anyone here was prepared to fight and die for gay marriage and got zero responses.

I think predictions of civil wars are overblown. Where is the strong motivation to fight and kill going to come from? I don't think banning abortions in South Carolina and limiting them in Texas will do it. These places have always been like by-words for a kind of Christian conservatism.

I don't think this will lead to a civil war for the record. However it has fundamentally damaged their democracy at this stage. And they have experienced many of these in recent years. And these accruing issues will eventually lead to something radical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Civil war?

Sure the Republicans have all the guns and training

Morse likey to be from a rural area as opposed to cities so would make more useful soldiers.

Ie

Man who hunts deer at the weekends and builds structures VS man who cuts hair and lives with a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

People still not able to accept that America is a kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The idea that there would be a civil war over this is far fetched. There wasn't much reaction this weekend in America.

There probably some collective of Anarchists that might kill some Pro Life campaigner. Burn down some churches, synagogues and centres but they were always looking for a cause anyway and will always be on the political margins.

So no civil war but there could be a few nasty incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It seems astonishing that a country like the US is now reduced to having frenzied arguments and debates about the rights and wrongs of abortion, arguments that were being held 50 years ago - sometimes involving the grandparents of those arguing now.

The equivalent in Ireland would be the nation in 2022 gripped by furious and divisive arguments about whether divorce or contraception are a good idea and whether they should be legal or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I suspect also it was a matter of "don't rock the boat". At the time that they were getting elected, abortion was nationwide. There was nothing to advocate for, except that anouncing "I'm going to double down on abortion protections", and all that would do is attract attention to something which would be more likely to cause more harm to a re-election campaign than good. It wouldn't make more people eligible for abortion, there was little 'demand' for it from the voters compared to other issues.

You will remember in Ireland for years that the lawyers were telling the government that the statutory rape laws were unConstitutional? Perhaps, but the laws were in place at the time, and no politician was going to rock the boat by saying "We're going to change the statutory rape laws to allow exceptions in some cases", it would be political self-injury. The politicians were happy to leave it alone until 2006 when it blew up in the government's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

with all this being talked about...can anyone say how the rvw conclusion was reached 50 years ago?

i guess it should be fairly straight forward given the reaction to its overturning.

i'm genuinely confused here. this is hardly judges of a different political leaning, disregarding the thing they are sworn to uphold?

No, the Judges basically said it should never have been a supreme court issue,that it was a decision for the electorate as expressed through State legislatures not a small group of Judges.

It wasn't about abortion as such but whether it was an issue for the Court to decide in line with the constitution there. They said no, that decision resides with the people alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Which disagreed with their own words they stated under oath...

That's a fairly weak argument.

Judges are allowed give serious matters full consideration.

If that's the line opponents of this are reduced to..

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Pointing out that a judge lied under oath is not a weak argument.

There’s a common theme among those trying to defend this whenever a point they can’t dispute is thrown at them.

’weak’

’childish’

’disingenuous’

’triggered’

All been said to try and dismiss a legitimate point. Wonder why that is.

Was there a case before them when asked at the hearing no. They were asked there opinion at that time and gave it.

Some of those hearings were years ago, what relevance bar a curiosity factor do they have to a Supreme court ruling after months of deliberation this year??

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

More likely left-wing militias will have state-of-the-art arms and training provided by domestic intelligence agencies including, but not limited to, the CIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

That's enough Kurt Russell movies for one night

How can there be a case before them when they aren't even on the bench at the time? What a stupid take to justify this.

Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, Alito and Barrett all lied, under oath, as judges. The fact you don't think that matters shows that you don't actually give a sh*te about the law. F*ck the law as long as women can have their rights to medical care ripped up in front of their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

is it an incorrect reading (or interpretation) of the constitution that has people downright mad?

must be a good thing so in that its back to democracy of the states? much ado about nothing as it seems.

remember the SC is only there to ensure the constitution is adhered to....

i was typing the above and then i remembered the 5th amendment (right to due process). what's the story there given guantanamo bay?

Some judges keep faith with the original interpretation, some that it is a living document .

Who knows what is the best way, such is human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

How do cats change someone's soldiering ability? You've lost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well that entirely depends on what kind of legislation you want. In this country you can abort a child up until birth, which when you think about it, is utterly obscene. It comes down to what you can get the majority of society to accept. My guess would be that you could easily get an abortion bill to pass for first trimester abortion in America and more then that in the case where, medically, the life of the mother was at risk or fatal fetal abnormality was evident, but that would require a compromise of the mantra of 'my body my choice'.

What has become evident lately is that society (if it exists any more) is so fractured that compromise has become a dirty word and a limit to personal choice or the 'good of society at large' is not on the table. We have become very 'everything or nothing', and right now America it seems would prefer nothing rather than an adult debate in which compromise on what is actually best for society or acceptable to society is seen as secondary to a 'I win, you loose' scenario.

Ah yeah, the judges put on specifically to remove protections for abortions all changed their minds about it from the hearing. They all knew they would be asked about it and hadn't considered it beforehand? Shockingly enough I am not buying it.

People called it out when they were put on the bench that their likelihood to vote on this matter was why they were put forward and have been proven correct. They assured us otherwise under oath and a few democrats either didn't care or were dumb enough to believe it. This was a large chunk of the reason Republicans repeatedly changed their minds on when it was appropriate to put someone on the Supreme Court but obviously that is all a massive coincidence.

Interestingly enough we already have a list of other rulings on the potential chopping block though the person who wrote it interestingly enough left out the only one that would actually affect him. Presumably he has a strong legal argument as to why that one is different.

I never understood the life of the mother is at risk line. What odds do you want on the mother surviving to stop it? Pregnancies are massively complicated things with a variety of risks and different possible events. I was always amazed that this didn't allow abortion on demand in Ireland, if you are pregnant then your life is at increased risk, even for the most ordinary of pregnancies. This risk also depends on where you live and your financial situation. Especially in the US where outcomes vary massively by state and it has to be considered that any and all abortion laws will only be for the poor and so the odds are naturally worse if/when complications arise. How will a fetus that is likely to not survive factor into this as you mention fatal fetal abnormality? I mean they might survive but are you willing to bet the woman's life on this? Latter treatment can cause more issues than stopping a problem earlier but you also don't have definitives for if a mother or fetus will survive all the time.

There would be no abortion limts if rich people were effected by them. You will find many "pro life" politicians will have had abortions themselves or helped organise the logistics for their partners/ relatives and this will continue into the future because of course theirs is different.

Do you want lawyers making this call or doctors, either of whom could get reputations for being more or less liberal again changing this law pretty heavily. Are you going to have a list of relevant doctors when making these laws. I am curious how many doctors with relevant knowledge (i.e. not brain surgeons or doctors of history) were consulted about the various trigger laws that went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Given that these guys are all fervent Catholics, I think we can call it a 'mental reservation'...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Think the point is that it needs medical supervision rather than pills in the post .

So dangerous especially if someone in later stages of pregnancy , unable to legally access abortion or medical services and availing of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My guess would be that you could easily get an abortion bill to pass for first trimester abortion in America and more then that in the case where, medically, the life of the mother was at risk or fatal fetal abnormality was evident, but that would require a compromise of the mantra of 'my body my choice'.

Not buying this. If such a bill could have been easily passed at various junctures, surely the rational thing for a pro-choice president/Congress to do would be to get it passed as a sort of baseline, then let individual states introduce more liberal abortion regimes if they wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

I've no idea what you are talking about. 97% of abortions in America are for social reasons that have nothing to to with the life or health of the mother or the viability of the fetus. Why are you 'amazed' that there needs to be a conversation about the 93% of abortions that have nothing to do with medial need and pertain so social and societal reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

'Social' and 'societal' is a very peculiar way of framing things. The very act of being pregnant for nine months is 100% a health issue (and may have implications for the mother's mental health too).

Advertisement