Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If Horan goes, then at least let it be a case that he’s replaced with someone who offers an improvement. 

Has Ray Dempsey done enough to earn a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Galway would need to sort out that high ball into the square, but I would rate Armagh a better outfit than Derry having been to the two Donegal v Armagh games and the Ulster final. Darry also had a bit of a cake walk yesterday against a poor enough Clare team that I wouldn`t see a bringing them on anything when compared to Galway today.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

It would be a killer if Galway were to land Sam Maguire this year given what we've gone through over the past decade.

They have multiple players who can take their scores with such ease so they will be a threat, but it makes you wonder how are we so far behind them when it comes to unearthing natural scoring players , what are we doing wrong ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

Hard luck to all in mayo today. I thought kerry were going to be rusty and they were. Probably the worst mayo shooting in croke Park we have seen in a few years. Hard to know what Horan can do next for ye. At least there's a few good underage teams the last few years to try to bring on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Probably the highest ranking candidate at the moment IMHO. To be fair to Deane he’s done very well with the minors too so that’s a consideration but it’s a big step from minor and club to inter county. Andy Moran needs a few more years at management before I’d have him in the frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I thought the high ball was absolutely chaotic for Galway. A lot of people blaming the keeper but the fullback line were all over the place any time it came in too. If Armagh had done that earlier, they might have been out the gate but they left it a bit late to start lobbing them in at will.

I think Derry look a fairly well-drilled outfit that are getting the best out of what they have at their disposal. I thought the performance against Clare showed that they have a few more dimensions to them, even if Clare were poor. I think they'll give Galway a rattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Is Kevin McStay the man to bring the all ireland to Mayo?? He couldn’t do it with Roscommon but perhaps he can with the ould enemy Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

I'd disagree on the Hession point. Geaney took him to the cleaners in the 1st half.

The first time in years they had a vibe of just not believing they could do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Disappointing result considering the decent first half we had. The misses when we were on top in the 3rd quarter killed us.

I think Horan will call it a day although personally, I'd give him another year if he wanted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The jump from U17 to Senior is huge in management terms. I thought Deane was slow to act yesterday myself, kickouts should have been sorted earlier and I get the feeling that substitutions are preplanned rather than reactionary. I think it's far too big of a jump to be even considered.

Dempsey has certainly earned his name to be in the hat imo. Andy still an unknown.

I wouldn't be against giving Rochford another crack at it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

A bit surprised by the Hession praise. I thought, and those around me too, he got a roasting first half

Horan has completely gone stale and I'd love to see Rochford given a second crack at it

I’d be ok with giving Rochford another shout too. Not sure he would though. I think Deane has some positive qualities but I get your point too on subs and kickouts. He’s got those young lads believing in themselves, and playing very well and for that he deserves a load of credit.I’ll reserve judgement on him until after the minor final all the same.

Are there others worthy of consideration?.

We havent got a training pitch so may-aswell rent one in the midlands , and convince Jim Gavin to pop down from Dublin to train us ")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

High ball was a problem for Galway, but even at that the keeper was directly at fault for two of the goals. In possession for one and made a mess of it. For the other the ball actually bounced in the square and he just stood flat footed. I`d expect them to have worked on the high ball into the square before the semi.

Derry`s game is to draw you in and turn you over before attacking at speed. They are good at it but Galway showed today they were wise to that with Armagh and were very patient not bringing the ball into contact and finding pockets to shoot from where they either scored or the ball went dead. They also have players that can shoot from distance. Both of those are a problem for a team whose tactic is to break at speed from turnovers.

Derry do tend to attack in a wave, but that can also be a problem if they get turned over and the opposition transfer the ball at speed, and Galway showed they are well capable of doing that. Galway`s keeper may not have looked great today, but Derry`s is no great shakes either, especially on restarts. His kick outs can go anywhere and with them looking to build from the back, pushing up on those can cause them problems.

Derry will give them a rattle, but overall I don`t rate them as good as Armagh and today`s game will bring Galway further on than Derry`s yesterday. Other than the high ball into the square Galway`s problem is a tendency to fade, or attempting to sit out a lead for the last ten minutes, rather than going for the jugular and finishing it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Off topic for the Mayo chat but Shane Walsh showed today why he is not at the top elite level. All the skill in the world but makes some of the daftest decisions you'll ever see. The crossfield pass at the death was lunacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

I would have to disagree. Yes he made a daft error in injury time, but over all I thought he really delivered for Galway today when they were living on scraps in the period 5-15 mins. He was very good throughout the game. And his penalty was the highest pressure kick of the day and he converted it textbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Sensing a couple of years in the doldrums for this Mayo team. That Galway team will push on after today's win in Croker, so getting the direct route out of Connacht might not be there anymore.

Change needed from both a players and management perspective.

Would like to see Rochford get another crack at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Is there a better option out there than horan atm? Id say no. He makes mistakes, but who doesnt? From a purely pragmatic standpoint,id keep him.

Oshea had a decent game today to be fair to him. We all give him plenty criticism when he has a quiet game so he deserves some praise today.

I think we just ran out of road today. Too many injuries and guys off form. Probably lost a few big 50-50 decisions that we needed to go for us too - black card, keegans advantage-point attempt that wasnt brought back. They were at vital junctures. Kerry deserved the win. Hopefully someone gives galway a right clipping and i dont really mind after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I wonder would McDonald take it and step into the role but maybe someone new is required as it would feel like the same. I'd say Rochford would jump at it again.

Whoever comes in needs to call time with certain guys if they don't call it off.

Its his training methods and careless decision making that are causing all these injuries. buts its being happening every year during his 2nd tenure.

Starting tommy Conroy for instance v Donegal on a Sunday evening knowing full well he had Sigerson duties following Tuesday, not to mention Tommy was up to his eye balls with commitments for his club too..

He had literally no rest for 18 months..

Baffling decision..

ROD groin injury v Kildare which was a dead rubber, and was injected for the Galway game and it flared up again..

Season ending, both avoidable .

He has made his bed and needs to lay on it...

heres the thing - Horan wasn’t at the Kildare game and there were 5 changes named to the starting line up that day. If Ryan’s injury was an issue then, then surely he would have featured in one of numerous changes that day?.

as for Tommy Conroy, surely it’s not Horans fault for games he has to play in the future?. I find that logic odd, if I’m honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Our match felt like a training game.....the Armagh crowd leaving sucked the life out of Croke Park.

The end of the first game was insane...haven't seen anything like that in Croker since our own titanic battles with Dublin and the Limerick-Galway hurling final

Kerry weren't that hectic although the left hand side of their attack destroyed us in the first half (the exact same as the league final iirc)....and as others have said, when we got on top after half time we completely shat the bed in front of goal...Kev McLoughlin's chance would have been buried by a Kerry player, and the balls dropping into the keepers hands was a killer.

I have no strong opinions re: Horan tbh....if there's a strong candidate out there then give them a go by all means but no point giving him the bullet with no plan in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

What commitments had Tommy with his club? He hadn't played club football since the relegation play off in October. He didn't play the fbd game vs Galway either. Loads of intercounty players around the country play Sigerson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There is no direct route put of Connacht anymore

He played all year, no rest , thats my point...all teams get injuries..

As fans we need stop with the same old excuses and become critical and honest in our thinking..

If we are so dependant on these players they should be wrapped in cotton wool , shouldn't see a ball until March ,the latter rounds of the league, and have them in peak condition for the championship..

Media are blasting us this morning over excuses, and many honest fans out there are victim's of this shelling, and ts all down to a certain faction within the fan base who refuse to engage in reality..

We are losing the Gra and respect of the nation with these hideous fans ..

Kev McLoughlin's chance would have been buried by a Kerry player

That's complete bollix tbf, Kerry (Paudie C or Geaney I think) missed a much easier goal chance midway through the first half so they're not infallible by any means. D Clifford on the other hand might have finished McLoughlin's chance.

It was the simple mistakes that killed us - overcooked handpass from McLaughlin, missed points from relatively central positions from DOC, Ruane, Cillian, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Media are blasting us this morning over excuses

What are they saying ?

Watching the Sunday Game last night and both Cooper and Whelan were very much pointing out that Mayo were missing O'Donoghue and Conroy and that was a major factor in their season.

Maybe I didn't have a proper view of it so (from Lower Cusack near the Hill) but I thought it was a carbon copy of the Clifford goal....maybe a bit harsh on KMc but I thought he should have at least made the keeper work.

• Advertisement

News talk, multiple articles lambasting our methods, not learning ect..

Doesn't help matters when you have a gimp on OTB by the name of Nathan ,who's from Mayo and deliberately stereotypes himself as typical Mayo fan with delusionary Mayo4Sam nonsense, to hide this woeful lack of footballing knowledge..

A College boy who has never kicked a ball or had any interest in football before he got this News talk role , and is using this stereotype on a annual basis , embarrassing us all.. and we all suffer mocking for it..

It was also very similar to Geaneys chance who put it wide. Clifford's was probably the hardest of the three (he had a little bit more pressure on him, Geaney and Kev Mc were more or less free) and was expertly taken.

Durcan seemed to be marking Clifford for the goal... Was this a switch from the sideline or was Durcan covering a burst from Oisin? Said it before the game but if you're man marking Clifford, that's all you should be doing, he's too dangerous to be leaving free when making runs up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

Better to go out now than in the Final.

Of course some Media will 'have a go' and we will take it on the chin and come back again.

It is notable though that the same mistakes were very apparent again yesterday,the most blatant one being kicking the ball into the opposition 'keepers hands time and time again.Unforgiveable on the number of times it is happening in recent games. Team selection is also an issue.

And what of the rumours,common knowledge really,of a certain forward supposedly injured but not injured at all.Just a cover up by manager as manager made a decision of looking after his own clubman when he became available! This sort of sh1t (and there must be some truth in the 'rumour') does not deserve Mayo getting to and winning an All Ireland any time soon.There are many hangers on in the Co.Board that do not give a damn if we won a title anytime soon,they are lining their pockets,win,loose, or draw.Its past time a few of them were culled. Look at the big picture,Mayo fans have contributed more money,many times going short at home,over the past 10-12 years to the central kitty and the Dublin economy.The previous year we did not get to the end game the 'takings' were down at HQ.Expect the same this time around.

On a side note the Irish Indo had a brilliant feature on Lee Keegan on their Saturday edition,a man that almost single-handedly got us to the quarter finals this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

he did, his black card was exemplary. when he went off, he wasn't missed on the score-board.

Are these the same rumours, common knowledge that had Oisín Mullin out injured? It's crazy how these things just get made up out of thin air.

Do you honestly think ROD was fit yesterday and didn't play?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

ROD is a natural born with a winner/killer instinct.He has not featured in the past few games and no worthwhile 'news' on his injury by management.There was suppoosedly a 'falling out' with manager when he was relieved of his 'kicking duties' back in the Galway game.He (along with Tommy Goals) are the only naturally instinctive forwards we have presently.

For all his great years of service COC is now a 20 minute off the bench player at best.No running from him yesterday to any balls put into the forwards.Management do not want to change this ,the thick headed ignorance is sometimes good! but in this instance its rotten and has cost us.

D.McHale deserves a go and what of Darren Coen,made for Croke Parke, if his games in the past are anything to go by.He must be terrible in training if he dosent get a few game minutes.

In fairness to Coen, I thought he did alright yesterday. Kicked a nice point and picked up a good few breaks

It doesnt bother me what media say to be honest. Media is a bad joke at this stage. Click-bait rubbish and people trying to churn out articles.

If there are valid points to be made then they should be made, what philly mcmahon or whoever thinks of it on their podcast or article etc isnt my concern. If someone wants to say that is an excuse to make a few quid, why should you or I care?

Re horan, i repeat the same question, is there a superior alternative available?

This is the problem for me. People arent fair in their analysis because of past performances. It was never a black card. He played well and kicked a great point too. Objectivity is key.

Truth be told ruane has had poorer season than oshea this year. Not careful enough with possession and taking on daft shots. Therein lies a big issue of our season for me. Our middle third was badly out of form. Oshea, ruane, durkan, d oconnor were all off colour.

• Advertisement

Would largely agree with that - after a great start to the season, DOC has been poor enough in the last few games. For someone with so much potential, he doesn't deliver often enough for whatever reason. Ruane also poor this season after a brilliant year last year (excl. the final)

No worthwhile news? It has been said for several weeks he has a groin injury. What were you hoping to hear? The supposed falling out is complete bullshit.

Who would you have played yesterday instead of Cillian? Darren McHale was also injured.

It does bother me beause rightly or wrongly media does influence the mind-sets of the general public whether right or wrong.. and it creates stigma..

Same as politics..

Re- next manager

Jim Gavin for me, pay him whatever it takes.

A 2yr financially attractive contract so he doesn't feel bogged down, so by then he will have ironed out our shot selection and movement issues in the final 3rd, leaving us in good stead for the next manager to continue his good work..

Its a major problem that very few out there can fix..

Not sure if there is anyone inside the walls of mayo that are good enough, but if we had to make an internal appointment i would have Rochford 1st, and maybe Dempsey 2nd .

Thing i liked about Rochford was that he wasn't a tunnel vision manager, he ignored the league and connacht to a certain degree , and carefully managed players fitness levels so he had a full deck to play with at the business end of the season , and it no surprise Andy Moran had his best season under him when he implemented the kicking game..

I saw this comment on the blog and I think there's a lot of truth to it:

How many strong, powerful and lethal forwards have we produced in 70 years. Those kind of lads play in halfback centre field for their clubs in Mayo.

In Kerry they play at centre forward or full forward

A Geaney, Clifford or Sean O Se, Maurice Fitz etc would be midfielders/ halfbacks in Mayo where they would be encouraged to do solo runs all day.

If you look back at the last 15-20 years, you could easily name 20 Mayo wing backs/grafting half forwards that were among the best in the country and it has to be down to where we choose to play our best players at club level i.e. in the middle 8 where they carry loads of ball. It's very difficult to change that mindset

Ruane didn't look right yesterday at all imho....he ran back around 50 mins after Moran (I think), we turned it over and Durcan or someone went tearing up the pitch....Ruane hobbled up to around the 45, was really huffing and puffing and just stopped and looked like he was going to puke.

Don't want to single him out but was just in front of me in the stand so it really stood out.

There was a few others that looked dead on their feet from half time onwards....we can all speculate about the reasons why but it could just simply be too many hard miles on the clock for some players

The point was made about our 6 starting forwards yesterday. Flynn, Diarmuid, Loftus and Carney are midfielders for their clubs. Kevin McLoughlin plays as a half back/sweeper for knockmore. So Cillian was the only natural forward in the team.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point although I don't there's a load of top quality corner forwards in the county that we're not using. Players currently on the panel that you might look at for those corner forward positions would be:

• Coen - can blow hot and cold but he's a man who'll take on a shot if nothing else, may not have the workrate required for IC football
    • Carr - shows flashes of brilliance, if he could do that even semi regularly, he'd make a huge difference for us
    • Orme - started the year well but tailed off; still v young and will make it IMO
    • Boland - can be very good at times, would like to see him getting more games
    • McHale - has been injured too much to get a run of games, I think he could offer a lot
    • Towey - played a bit during the league although generally seemed to play a good bit from goal
    • M Moran - seems to be injured a lot; came on last year against Belmullet and was v poor

Anyone else? Others that might be worth a look are McStay, Heneghan & Walsh from Castlebar, Ruttledge, Colm Moran

While all teams have injuries, I think we were particularly unlucky to have two injuries in an area where we don't have great backup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Is that a complete dreamlike desire similar to Clifford relocating to Castlebar transferring to Mitchell’s and declaring for Mayo county football? Because it’s just as likely. Gavin has some director role in the Irish Aviation authority, has all his family and life in Dublin, has achieved everything in the game and more, would be extremely loyal to Dublin football…to name but a few reasons, in fact the Clifford scenario I mentioned is a lot more likely than Gavin managing Mayo.

Apologies for being harsh but you've got to stop soaking up all the bullsh1t that goes around these days.

Tim O'Leary and the like seem to be leading a campaign borne out of some strange entitlement that he feels he / "we" have to know all the inner workings of the county set-up.

Now RO'D might have been annoyed that CO'C took over duties... I would expect a competitive player like him to want to keep the duties, thats natural. But there's no credibility in these Twitter fantasys.

How did Kev McL start yesterday given the huge falling out himself and Horan had... These stories are dreamt up and thrown about with reckless abandon by guys out there who really haven't a clue.

If they throw enough sh1t, some of it will stick /they might get something right.

I've no doubt Horan can be blamed for certain things but there's no credibility involved when you go about blaming him for every single thing.

With the early championship this year the silly season in Mayo is in full swing in June rather than September.

This post sums up the daftness of it all.

People really need to stop bringing what ever shite the donkey in London is spewing on his Twitter account here.

Let's wait until the dust settles, if Horan gets another term then fine he's still a good man for the job, if he doesn't let's hope his replacement can at least equal him and hopefully better him.

Off topic for the current discussion about yesterday and the future.

But does anyone know where @seligehgit went?

He/She was usually a very good poster on this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement