Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Kerry were really poor yesterday. Still the same defensive frailties and Mayo held them quite well at the back even though they didn't defend in numbers. Once again if Mayo had any decent forwards then they would have won the game but they can't finish. They kicked wide after wide and messed up goal chances. I don't think Dublin are that great but neither are Kerry. This All Ireland is wide open for any of the 4 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Kerry were indeed poor yesterday , for me anyway due to 4 weeks of A v B training matches , yes they have defensive frailties but nothing like Dublins defensive frailties , 34 year olds , lack of height ,rookies etc , Derry/Galway could well cause Kerry a lot of bother ,

Hope to god im wrong , but im convinced Kerry will not be losing to this Dublin team

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Just listening to Pat Kenny this morning. Jaysis you'd swear it was tje rwanadan genocide mark 2 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Possibly not. But to say Derry or Galway would cause Kerry problems is hard to see. Id imagine it could be tight for 45-50 mins but then Kerry will pull away. Kerry would be comfortable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Kerry have never beaten most of those dubs in a championship though have they? I think your certainty is misguided. Although Kerry rightly slight favourites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Should be a goal scoring competition, from the hand from outside the 20 meter line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

There is no defending the eye gouging or off the ball stuff but melees aren't a northern or Armagh specific problem; it's a GAA problem which is going to remain as long as we allow discipline procedure to be continually undermined; this year it's Clare and Galway but over the year's most teams have been guilty.

Most counties, my own included, have given free passes to county stars when they act the b0llix at club games.

The strength of GAA lies in its tribal nature, but it is also its biggest weakness.

On McGeeney, people might want to listen to what Daniel Flynn of Kildare says about him in the podcast below; it not just his regard for him as a football person but as a man. I've rarely heard of praise as high as Flynn gives above or heard anything but people who know him for all counties talk about him in anything but the highest regard

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0cdy8yk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The winners of Kerry/Dublin will rightly be favourites for the AI but I'd say each of the 4 teams left will fancy their chances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Will probably only be a kick of the ball between dubs and kerry, kerry always rise for this game.

Dublin under Gavin always found kerry tricky even though kerry would have been deemed weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think it was trialed in Football as well 4-5 years ago. Lads kicking from about 35 meters out. One or two games went to it. However a lot of teams might have only a small cohort of players capable of point taking from that distance. Most teams have only 1-2 freetakers. It a skill that is hard to master.

Ever child has taken a penalty at some stage. It's a skill that can be taught. It's an exciting format. Not ideal but still exciting.

What was disappointing was how the booking got very loud as Galway players took there penalties. There was always an element of it but It was much louder when a Galway took his

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,383 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The officials should have to come out and explain the decision to send off Kelly and Nugent.

Kelly was visibly upset and even after the game looked shattered despite the win.

Nugent seemed to take it a bit better but neither contributed to the melee but could be seen trying to calm their own teammates down (up to the Gouge anyway when Kelly was really angry but didn't do anything worthy of a red card).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Well after the games over the weekend I'm still firmly of the belief that the winner will come from the Dublin Kerry game Galway Armagh was the best game of the lot but neither team anywhere near elite level for me. In every proper championship game they've played this year Galway have blown up in the last 10 minutes Mayo scored last 5 points in that game Roscommon outscored Galway heavily in last 10 as did Armagh yesterday is it fitness or lack thereof? Or psychological? They seemed plenty fit in ET so couldn't be that. They'll be badly punished for any switch offs against Derry.

While the eye gouging was wrong and out of order some of the pearl clutching about it is hilarious Comer was no innocent shrinking violet either in on top of the goalkeeper screaming in his face after a score and Galway are the worst off the ball dragging and fouling team I've ever seen Kildare play against but to be fair to them they are big game men they have a winners mentality all momemtum was against them going into ET they had imploded yet they regained composure to win it that's impressive.

Dublin and Kerry both won pulling up plenty in the tank for their SF meeting if Con O Callaghan is back I'd fancy Dublin to beat Kerry and win it out.

Is that the first time there's been a black card given at IC level for mouthing off? It didn't affect the game hugely but it seemed a strange call. FWIW, I'd have no problem with refs implementing that rule so long as they gives teams fair warning that they're going to clamp down on that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Yes really, wasn't impressed by Kerry at all yesterday. Mayo dominated them for a 10 minute period yesterday, if Dublin are allowed do that they will blow them out of the water.

Kerry massively reliant on a 34 year old midfielder and forwards in Geany and O Brien that have been around with years.

That defensive system hasn't been tested by a proper team yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I watched it back on the Sunday Game and I think Kelly was done for "contributing to a melee"

From my viewing of it he was the first Galway player in when the squabbling started.

The ref, linesmen, umpires don't have the benefit of video reviews so I'd say that one or more of them saw Kelly being first or,one of the first in and communicated that to the ref.

His peacemaking efforts later were of no use, his fate was sealed.

By the way, there would be none of this messing if the contributing to a melee punishment was enforced.

Let two guys roll around in the grass all they like, the ref will deal with it, but if you join them you are in bother.

Yeah like you cant just send captains off if they havent done anything individually?

Screaming in someone's face vs eye gouging, are ye mental?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Dublin v Kerry might come down to who is the least afflicted by injuries.

Jack Barry and Spillane were big losses for Kerry yesterday and there will be doubts about Clifford. Barry generally does well on Fenton which would be huge for Kerry if they were to break even in that battle.

Con O'Callaghan is absolutely critical for the Dubs, if he is not back to fitness, Kerry win this game

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder will Galway really believe if they make the final. In the 2018 semi they didn't look truly convinced they could beat Dublin. Perversely coming from nowhere could strengthen Derry's self-belief against Kerry or Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭doc_17

If he was “a man’s man” then he’d condemn some little sneak who gouged the eye of a man from behind when he wasn’t able to defend himself. But he won’t. That’s the measure of McGeeney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

There was nothing wrong with Galway's self belief in extra time and penalties yesterday especially after their implosion in normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

No manager in the GAA would do that, so I don't see why McGeeney should be judged if he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,383 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Yeah he was probably the next Galway player across with Comer, Morgan, Forker and Rian O'Neill already milling around.

Seems extraordinarily harsh. Nugent as well was maybe the 15th player in and he spent most of his time sending his own players down the tunnel.

There were some players obviously making things worse on both sides. Andrew Murnin jumped into a crowd of players. McDaid and Creeley threw each other to the ground. Armaghs sub goalkeeper was on the ground with Jack Glynn on top of him.

We need to stop these kinds of incidents. Sending off two of the more peaceful players (who will subsequently get off on appeal) is not the way to do things IMO.

I agree that the officials have it tough with no video evidence. No reason why it can't be used in the future though. Referees can communicate with the Hawkeye official already. No reason why that couldn't have been reviewed by a referee with a monitor. It would require a rule change obviously (and wouldn't be applicable outside of televised games) but Hawkeye is only available in limited cases as well so there is precedence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Was just looking at GAA Statsman (Tweets with replies by GAA Statsman (@gaa_statsman) / Twitter) there and the scoring figures make for bad reading from a Mayo perspective:

Shots taken:

Galway 31

Armagh 32

Kerry 28

Mayo 31

Dublin 30

Cork 26

Derry 31

Clare 26

Scored:

Galway 23 (74% accuracy overall, 72% from play, 83% from frees)

Armagh 21 (65%, 60%, 85%)

Kerry 19 (67%, 63%, 83%)

Mayo 13 (41%, 38%, 60%)

Dublin 21 (70%, 57%, 100%)

Cork 10 (38%, 31%, 57%)

Derry 18 (58%, 59%, 50%)

Clare 10 (38%, 31%, 57%)

Mayo's scoring efficiency was that of a D2 team. 

One stat that stood out to me from the first game yesterday was that Armagh had 18 turnovers compared to 12 for Galway; it's rare that you'll see a team win when they lose the turnovers by that much (although Dublin lost on turnovers also, 6 v 10). I guess the high scoring efficiency compensated for that for both teams.

Both semis are probably 50 - 50

Very hard to call even Galway / Derry,,

But Galway did run riot in the league game all be it with a big wind in the opening half.

That game was spicy enough, wasn't there like three red cards?

Would be hilarious if Galway won the Al before mayo.

Galway do seem to be a little bit frail, they've coughed up big leads under joyce.

It's very hard to see dublin being able to hold that kerry attack. Their defence seems limp enough?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Let two guys roll around in the grass all they like, the ref will deal with it, but if you join them you are in bother."

Isn't it that sort of off the ball stuff that leads to schmozzles and melees? Long past time for GAA refs to give straight red cards for that carry on and f**k the managers, tradition and pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

A shootout of point scoring is a truly awful suggested alternative. Just imagine how dull that would be, and how pitiful an end it would've been for a game like yesterday's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Gael85

Agree our full back line will be cleaned. Murchan and Gannon are not natural corner backs. Byrne only back from injury.Mick Fitz and Cooper won't have the legs to mark Clifford/Geaney.

Con O'Callaghan chipped bone in ankle and Jack Barry has Fenton number so I think we will be in trouble. Conor Lane likely to referee so will be no handy frees for Dublin.

Advertisement