Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Startlists for Oslo

Loaded women's 5,000m with Gidey, Tsegay, McColgan, Klosterhalfen and Ayana all scheduled to run. I'll be particularly interested to see how McColgan gets on, ran a huge 10,000m PB of 30:19 in Hengelo last week, curious to see if she can run another PB here. Never thought we'd ever see Ayana in a 5k again, I'm assume she's just trying to develop some race sharpness after missing out at the Ethiopian trials. I imagine Tsegay and Gidey will be duelling it out for the win at the front.

Jakob Ingebrigtsen is going after Steve Cram's European Record of 3:46.32 in the men's mile, will also have Hoare and Katir for company.

The men's 110m hurdles will be another to keep an eye on, Devon Allen currently on the start list after his 12.84 a few days ago. World record stands at 12.80, but potentially under threat here. Not an event I usually care for but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 phelimcas

Also interesting to see an Irish women's 400 relay team competing. Made up of Healy, Becker, Harrison and Mawdsley. Looking to get Ireland into a quota spot for Munich and possibly but less likely Oregan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Interestingly, Healy ran in Marseille last night and Becker in Kladno the previous evening. I hope they're recovered.

I don't think Allen will get close to the WR in Oslo. Jet lag and all that.

Ingebrigtsen just misses the European Record, but he wasn't exactly slow either!

Good to see Hoare going with him, smashes McSweyn's record in the process.

• Advertisement

Super fast run from Ingebrighsen and Hoare in the Dream mile. Shows how fast Cram was running 40 years ago.

Irish women's 400 relay team ran a time sufficient to qualify for Munich tonight and also very close to getting the Oregon time. Hope they get another chance to reduce their average time further.

I actually didn't even notice tbh. He's not living up to last year anyway, that's for sure.

Whilst Ingebrigtsen was undoubtedly the highlight of Oslo, the women's 5k was decent too. Huge props to Karoline Grovdal for pushing the pace to run 14:31 and in the process breaking Ingrid Kristiansen's 36 year old national record. And all at the ripe old age of 32, not bad at all.

Entry lists for tonight.

Pushed back to the later time of 8pm because of the sweltering heat in Paris, so we may not see many fast times in the longer distances.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

Two more Irish athletes get qualification times for Munich today.

Sarah Lavin in the 100 hurdles and Chris O'Donnell in the 400. That makes 24 individuals now qualified with extra relay places to be selected.

The Nationals next weekend may throw up more qualifiers.

• Advertisement

Yavi was phenomenal last night, sub-9 really has become the new standard in the steeplechase. It'll surely be her and Jeruto going 1-2 in Eugene, in what order though remains to be be seen. Those two are way ahead of the pack currently, bronze could be between a few people, with Abebe and Frerich the most immediate two that came to mind. I think Coburn's time as a factor in this distance is unfortunately over.

Great men's 5,000m, really disappointing that Barega won't be allowed to double in Eugene.

Great to see Sarah Lavin lowering the PB again. Might be a contender to get to the final in Munich this summer? Medal probably a long shot though.

Nationals this weekend and last opportunity to get a World qualifying time or cement a quota place especially for the Munich qualifiers

Will also help decide the relay spots for the women's 100 and the mixed 400.

Chance to see Rhasidat in the 100 and looking forward to all the events but especially the women's 400 with Helay, Becker, Mawdsley and Harrison being the most likely to shine and the men's 5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Keep an eye out for Chris O’Donnell in the men’s 400m too. His 45.26 no Madrid is the second fastest ever by an Irish man. He’s clearly talented and can hopefully go sub-45 in future.

As you say, there should be fireworks in the women’s 400m. It would be great to see them push each other to fast times.

So I guess we could say Sydney McLaughlin is running pretty well?

Has since been corrected to 51.41. Still only 22, could we see a sub 51 some day?

Jake Whiteman finally won the British 1,500 after being pipped on several occasions. Possible the Olympic bronze medallist Josh Kerr hasn't cemented qualification yet as only the first 2 were guaranteed spots at the world's. He faded over the last 300 and just held on for 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Great scrap there for the National 5,000 title. Won't spoil it by posting winner's name. You can catch it on YouTube.

Live now on RTÉ 2!

Expected win for Louise Shanahan in the 800m.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Adeleke timed that to perfection, getting up to win in the final stride over Molly Scott.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That was super impressive from Olatunde into a headwind.

I genuinely believe he can run sub-10. He looks like he has such a high ceiling.

For a 20 year old, he's a great prospect. Might take him a while to reach his peak, but he's going in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A few great races for TV there. Both 800s, the womens 400 (delighted for Becker) and the womens 100m

Weather ruined any chance of decent times but great racing

Attended both days in Santry and today's races were top notch. Great competition in the men's 5,000 and the women's 100 and 400 in particular.

Interested to see who makes the team for The World's especially with AI seemingly not going to nominate those in quota places without a B time.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Snodge

It would have been interesting to see how races would have went if the weather was more favourable, i.e would there have been any really quick times or would the races still have been as tactical.

A great championships

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Snodge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

The mens 1500m was gas craic. I was laughing seeing how slow they were going trying not to go to the front of the pack

The women's race was the same - crawled around at snail's pace for the first three laps.

Qualifying period finished last night so World Athletics will see who can be invited based on World rankings to make up the quota number for each event. Some quota places will be refused by cou tries so they will continue until the have the places filled.

For the relays I believe that AI can nominate athletes who are outside the quota but it seems from Cathal Dennehy that if you are in quota but gave not reached the B standard that the invitation will be refused by AI. He has mentioned Luke McCann as being a probable case in point.

Anyone know if the Morton Games on Saturday night are being streamed on YouTube?

Looks like it will be. Found this link on their website for the livestream https://youtu.be/BFFAZc9P6G8

• Advertisement

Also Cork City Sports has a live stream link too for next week https://youtu.be/nck7Ex5tEFk

Post edited by deisedude on

Advertisement