Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That guy doesn’t tag blocked shots by the way. Blocked shots account for about 10% of each teams’ shot total, so his totals don’t give full context at all

Blocked shots should be tagged as the shot ‘got off’

• Registered Users Posts: 69,307 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Derry will beat Galway and Dublin will beat Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Am I the only one who thinks this moaning about losing on penalties is nonsense. Bad way too lose but what a win to win, bet them Galway lads will never forget that game.

As a player I can't think of a better test to see what your made of than facing the pressure of penalties. Would losing by a point next weekend make any of those Armagh players feel any better?

Penalties are box office stuff especially being so rare in GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I think they will - that 2018 Dublin team was a machine so it's no surprise that Galway didn't believe they could beat them. Neither Dublin/Kerry of 2022 are near that level imo so Galway or Derry would think they have a decent chance in a one-off game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I be agreeing with this.

If Spillane and Barry are back but Dublin lads are not advantage Kerry b

If Callaghan and McCarthy are back but Kerry lads are not advantage Dublin.

I think that Callaghan is critical to Dublin, but with Kerry player is critical to Kerry. Spillane for his ability to break up counter attacks and Barry because of his ability to keep Fenton from influencing the game.

And all that is presuming that a Clifford is ok

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I agree, penalties aren't perfect but there's no real credible alternative.

Replays make a balls of the scheduling and add too much uncertainty to the calendar

Point shootouts are essentially the same deal, no idea why they are supposed to be a better alternative

Pat Spillane talked about a golden score or having to win by 2. Having to win by 2 - you cant expect players to play indefinitely after almost 100 mins of play, they were all gassed after ET as it was.

Golden score might have some merit, it would definitely lead to a few dramatic minutes but again, could lead to an indefinite amount of playing time

Penalties are probably the least bad option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Same with some of the windbags on here calling for the guards to be involved and lifetime bans etc twas one step away from oh won't someone think of the children from the simpsons stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Exactly.

Though I find the argument that 45s wouldn't be entertaining really funny. Considering the majority of today's inter county games have little entertainment anyway it's very ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Exactly at the end of the day somebody has to be the hero or the villain.

Maybe for the final there's merit in a replay certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If a game came to a shoot out then it must at least have been entertaining by being close, like yesterday's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Whatever about free kicks being a bad suggestion, 45s is even worse. You'd be getting scores like 2/5 each, then the next 10 missing and starting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

From playing to coaching the clubs under 12's the 'man' involved in the eye-gouging should be kicked out of the GAA for ten years.

Scumbag behaviour. If you did that on the street, you would be in front of a judge facing prison time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cliffyy

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Administrators Posts: 53,872 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Armagh's first penalty was terrible, and they failed to hit the target with a second one. Galway keeper didn't make a save.

That's not bad luck or a bad way to lose, it's a skill / technique problem, and a legitimate and fair way to lose. IMO.

Derry and Donegal was close etc. Lots of games like that. And they're not entertaining.

Yesterday was mostly entertaining for the excellent football, not the closeness. For 20 minutes of the second half Galway were 3 or more points ahead, not particularly close. Bar the injury time.

The wisdom of Soupy Campbell taking a penalty has to be questioned. He was cramping very badly. The worst on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Penalties are not great but neither is spending a load of money and the match having no resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

It'd be a bit strange if the Sunday Game dedicated a slot to discussing the cost of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

The Gardai announce they will not be getting involved in yesterday's melee. That will dissappoint a few on here who were looking for jail terms. Eye gouging aside there was nothing to that row. Deal with the eye gouger, make an example of him, job done. Oh and rescind those two stupid reds given out. Look at Sean Kelly through the whole video and all he's doing is trying to break it up and he gets a red. Such fcuking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Roy Ferguson

'Scratching someone's face'.

Just total inability to condemn. It has to be said that this type of inability to admit to fault, this beligerent victimhood is a mirror of extreme unionism. You are all so alike, it's no wonder you can't get along. Stubborn, narky, always right. Willing to take offence at the slightest criticism.

As other posters pointed out you couldn't see the nuance that it was just Armagh criticised. Not Antrim, Down, Fermanagh who behave properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

I don't get the "as a man" stuff. What has someone's personality got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I really enjoyed it atmosphere was great. Happened to be sitting beside Tierney's parents and supporters from Oughterard. They won't forget it for rest of their lives. The mother had said he had a goal in him before the game! :D

Was the second penalty shootout I saw live in GAA. Other one was Dublin v Meath O'Byrne cup. Even that was tense.

Bit annoys me about the whinging about penalties it was as if some only realised it! Same for both teams. Was 20 ET etc. It was great. I will never forget it. My auld fella from Galway was loving every minute of it.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Maybe if the lads below were dealt with properly eye gouging would be a thing of the past.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWQjcOhWYAAtcwv?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWQjcbZXoAEFtW6?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yeah, and if I recall Philly McMahon only got a one-match ban (opening game of the following year's league).

It's a good point, it could have been dealt with better before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Golden score wouldn't worth in GAA as the wind could decide the winner of a game. Lose the coin toss and it could be good as over for one team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As I said during the game, every team trains these players to act like thugs right throughout the entire match. They are literally coached to barge into other players after scores or just when running past somebody, and thats without touching on the verbals or the other scummy tricks.

Every single game is literally 70 mins of lads "letting them know you are there" and nothing is done about it. Crying about Armagh and MMA is very much missing the woods for the trees.

It comes down to the whole disciplinary system of the GAA. It is farcical, the appeal system etc. Which means if fellas act the 'macho man' they know they are not likely to be punished much. Plus have a good chance of getting away with it. Even if they are picked out.

And in the GAA culture there are always some who love the GAA 'hard man'. It is a cultural thing for some counties more than others, to be honest. GAA people all know certain counties known for playing on the edge at club or county level.

That could easily be changed, but the truth is many in the GAA get a kick out of good row shows 'passion' etc. A 'manly game' etc. If half the stuff happened in the likes of soccer fellas would be getting big fines and hefty suspensions. With no fluting about with dodgy appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah the penalty shoot-out finish is such a rarity that it's a wonderful spectacle.

I don't get people saying it's unfair pressure on amateurs either. It's nothing compared to a major soccer tournament finishing the same way. At least there isn't millions on stake or the likelihood of getting dogs (and quite often racist) abuse from some neanderthals on twitter if your the unfortunate player that misses the decisive kick.

• Advertisement

I think it just comes down to the fact many are not used to it in the GAA. They are traditionalists at heart. Slow to change. Plus I think there would be a cohort who would resent the use of penalties as a decider because it is like what 'that Soccer crowd' do. I think there is a bit of that underlying it as well. Armagh will have to practise penalties in training in future as will the rest of the counties now.

Advertisement