Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I don't know what's going on with Electric Ireland. They came around after the Government payment went on to our bill to do something with the new smart meters they installed in the area. Our bill was paid in full almost a month ago. Last week I was able to use the estimate function and the estimated total was 90 euro. I had a look this morning and the estimate function is gone, the top line of the graph is showing 240. There's 2 of us in the house, TV doesn't go on until after 7 and the washing machine is on the most economical cycle, we don't use a dishwasher or tumble dryer and the immersion is switched on for a maximum of 30 minutes each evening. There really isn't anything that we can do to cut back on our electricity consumption. There's zero point in switching suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup, again, theres limitations, severe in many cases, of what people can do in regards their energy costs, this is why i believe the only way through this is by government subsidisation, i think the government should remain crediting households electricity accounts, until we get some sort of state of stabilisation

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Oh no people should definitely shop around, I had look at moneyguide Ireland website just now and the difference between the dearest supplier for electricity which is Flogss and electric Ireland which is currently the cheapest works out at over 900 a year.

One after the other announced price hikes over the last few months. I honestly don't see that there's much in the difference anymore to make it worthwhile switching. Switching our current price plan to what EI considers better value would cost us more than we already pay.

There's nothing left to give us. They've told us they're not going to do anything. Sure, they may throw another fiver a week to pensioners and people on Social Welfare, maybe an extra couple of weeks onto the Winter Fuel allowance but there's 3 billion put aside for Ukrainians next year, that works out at 83K per head at this point. There's a limited pot of money, everything comes out of that pot. We're one of if not the most indebted countries in Europe at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

At some stage it will be better to switch. Keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Unfortunately we are on our own now

again, thats horsesh1t, again, deficit rules are still currently suspended, theres virtually nothing stopping them only themselves, from funding such critical needs. ive come to accept they no longer want to be in government, i can accept that, its a sh1tty job, why would anyone want to do it, but i have a problem with them bringing the economy down with them!

there is not a limited pot, they are limiting it, by not borrowing, period! yes, again, debt is the money, no debt, no money supply, no economy, it really is that simple, borrowing the fcuking money, or else....

we truly need to get over this inherent fear of borrowing, i.e. running deficits,, we ve tried the whole running our economy primarily on credit, it failed, and very very badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

We've been dealing with inflation since 2002. It's ECB policy to devalue the currency. Makes everything look good.

Now they've gone to town on it since 2008 and particularly 2020 and wonder what went wrong and want to blame Putin, anybody except themselves. Only the State can create inflation. We abdicated the right to exercise that option so now we wait to see what other clownish tricks the JM Mitty Keynes fantasists can conjure on an unwitting public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Could those in government or the top civil servants in each department not look at every departments spending and assess what is currently giving value for money and what isn't? This would no doubt free up some money. Like in all honesty who thinks the 20billion price tag that comes with the HSE represents value for money. Huge waiting lists, and massive wages for many does not in my opinion.

• Advertisement

we ve actually been dealing with asset price inflation for decades, most evident in property markets, this is ultimately where inflation went to throughout this period, of relatively low real inflation, this is where most money went to throughout this period, it ultimately stayed within financial markets, this has been caused by money created in both the public and private domains, i.e credit via the private sector, and now qe via central banks.

yes, our current inflation is ultimately due supply and energy shocks, and yes our energy problems are largely due to the war, these are the facts!

its clearly bullsh1t that only the state can cause inflation, this is a convenient scapegoat for particular ideologies, particularly so called free markets ideologies, as its clearly obvious, the private domain can also do so, which ultimately lead us into 08, i.e. largely due to private debt/credit, which is created in the private domain, by private sector financial institutions, i.e. banks!

....and what do these ideologies want to still do, yup, lets keep ignoring these facts, and keep pushing our economies back towards primarily credit fueled economies, yup, lets try recreate the situation that lead us into 08! thats surely gonna work!

yes, theres clearly serious miss management of money going on within our public system, but not in the way some believe so, this has again made itself aware with the defaulting position of lets increase the pay rate of high earners within the system, and continue to fcuk over the lower levels, oh thats gonna work! theres a clear element of wealth extraction going on within our public system, we ve clearly completely neglected the system as a whole, continually fcuked over lower level employees, health care workers etc, and let major private sector entities such as insurance companies etc, extract even more, what a train wreck!

our health care needs have become even more complex over time, both physically and psychologically, but we have not maintained a rate of expansion and development of our system, to provide these critical needs, we re now at a point whereby we re no longer capable of providing these critical needs to an ever rising number of citizens, i.e. our health system is now in a state of collapse, and the only way out of this, is in fact a rapid increase in investment, and yes, that means, even more money, or else.....

...our system needs a deep gutting of all this bullsh1t, and a rapid expansion of investment, but at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

To claim that only Govt creates inflation is grand if you are a 20 something libertarian or Maoist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Holy crap!

My bill last week was an actual reading. I’d been paying roughly 120 per bill and this one is 160. Not being nosey but what normal person can afford your bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

My fault, I have not submitted meter readings in over 18 months.

Ive just been too busy.

I thought an actual meter reading was done at least once a year.

They will surely let you do a reasonable payment plan over the next 12/24 months. Over the next 6 bills would be an eye watering 366 extra per bill 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I feel like I am living in a paradox, we have inflation flying up and we have the gov saying its transitory and all the while the public sector and the government are sitting down and discussing this sector wanting increases to match inflation. Something smells rotten either its transitory and pay rises should not be given or if its going to be the new norm we need to cut the temporary USC tax for everyone.

Where exactly do you think private debt (credit) came from?? Very curious.

All inflation is created by central banks.

Or if you accurately understand what it is, not simply taking effects as causes.

Dear oh dear. Try a decent dictionary or perhaps watch some heavy duty financial analysis. As we libertarian Maoists do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭howiya

I think there has to be an attempt to read the meter rather than actually reading it. I was reading about a similar case recently that was brought up in the Dáil.

"Mr Naughten criticised the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities (CRU), stating it seems it is “not too bothered about this exploitation of vulnerable electricity customers”.

“The only obligation they place on electricity suppliers is that they must ‘attempt’ to take a meter reading four times per year,” he said."

Seems reasonable though. An electric company can't force their way into people's homes to take a meter reading.

• Advertisement

There IS a limited pot of money if you understand that currency is a social contract.

There isn't if you choose to push the boundaries of that social contract and dilute the buying power of that money. Otherwise known as taxation without representation. It's shockingly simple, it's only being complicated by centralists and wishy washy Keynesians.

Ps debt=credit=debt. It all flows from the CBs. Where on earth did you think it came from??

On January 1, I agree to cut your lawn for €30 and by December 31st, if you pay me late, or I'm still cutting your lawn in a mild messed up Irish winter, that €30 does not reflect what was agreed. It buys less, because it has new € siblings....

Money is a social contract. Currencies have the tendency, over time, to be a con job.

Time will tell whether our climate suits these magic money trees you're proposing.

Surely a majority of meters are accessible outside the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭howiya

I know where I currently live the meter is outdoors. Even still some of our bills used to be estimated so we submit regular readings.

In my parents house it's internal. They're on a smart meter now so meter readings aren't required now but the card referred to by the TD in the article would have been in the letterbox if no one was home.

...once again, our current inflationary pressures have little or nothing to with the money supply, its primarily being induced from the severe supply chain and energy market shocks. again, its important to remember, the general population has been living with hyper inflated property markets for decades, and now real economy inflation, and to add insult, all of that has been along side low wage inflation in comparison, so queue wage demands, in both sectors!

private sector financial institutions, i.e. banks, also create money, we call this form of money 'credit'

...and again, yes central banks can and do indeed create inflation, but so to do private sector financial institutions, i.e. banks , but again, inflation can be caused by many other factors, such as supply chain issues and energy market shocks, etc etc etc

...again, wrong! there in fact isnt a limited pot, particularly in the public domain, as central banks can in fact never run out of money, period, as they can simply just create it, but private sector banks must always meet certain criteria in order to do so, such as meeting their reserves etc! the limits come from ultimately the amount of debt your economy can sustain, which in its self is a bit of a black art, nobody truly knows the real limits, we only know what we hit them, i.e. 08! again baring in mind, it was in fact our over reliance on the private sector money supply, i.e. the credit supply, that lead to the crash, which in irelands case, can be clearly seen in the actual data, again, supplied!

again, yes, we do indeed keep pushing the boundaries, but not in the public domain, but in the private domain, i.e. the credit supply, and it keeps failing, and spectacularly so, i.e. 08!

again, its important to realise, taxation is not money creation, debt is, period, in both the public and private domains, i.e. in order to create money, debt has to be created on someone's balance sheet somewhere, in either the public or private domains, hence why this was essential during covid via deficit spending, as this is exactly how money is created in the public domain. the reason why this was essential is because of the effective shutdowns of our economies, particularly in the private domain, which lead to a dramatic fail in the demand for new credit, i.e. less businesses and less individuals were requiring new loans, from banks. so in order to run our economies, new debt needed to be created in the public domain, or our economies would have simply collapsed ,and it worked!

again, you ve reading to be doing, particularly in regards money creation, papers included!

again, im sorry to inform you, you re completely wrong in regards what money is, and how its created, you re continually defaulting to the mainstream school of economic thought, also known as neoclassical economics, and you d wonder why none of the institutions thats believe in this school of thought, didnt see 08 coming! holy fcuk, now thats scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I've never submitted a meter reading in years and the bills are always usually around the same.

Sweet Jesus...

I've done all the reading, and been awarded all of the degrees, I ever needed to with regards to the Keynesian epoch.

Let's just say I've a few thousand ozt of silver and we'll leave it at that.

Am I a libertarian? No.

Am I a Marxist? No. Central planning is the fetish of Keynesians actually.

I am a sound money advocate as, without knowing the value of a currency (as it's changed via state-approved counterfeiting behind the scenes), it becomes increasingly difficult for a public to trust it as a fixed measure.

At this point, the euro, and many of its siblings, are only good for nominal accounting. People, deep-down, know what value is and what purchasing power is.

Ps the mainstream school of economics is Keynesian. I'd respectfully suggest you're out of your depth on this topic. But postin quite confidently nonetheless.

https://fee.org/articles/how-the-housing-crisis-vindicated-the-austrian-school-of-economics/

Over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

So you haven't submitted a proper reading in years, have you checked your meter against the estimated readings on your bills? You don't want a monstrosity of a bill arriving on your doormat like the poster above.

A very simple example of expensive wastage in the HSE is the special body wash they give you to shower in the night before or the morning of your surgical procedure to kill any bacteria and germs on your skin. A small travel size bottle would be more than enough, instead they are handing out litre bottles of the stuff that people will use a tiny amount of and then throw away the bottle. It's about a fiver or so a bottle if you want to buy it yourself over the counter in any Chemist.

So over the course of a year in every hospital in Ireland for every surgical patient that has to add up to a lot. Then there's these new hydration drinks they give to patients before surgery. You're supposed to drink 4 the day before and 2 on the day. How much does that cost and how did we manage all this time without them?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There just has to be brown envelopes involved in these deals from suppliers

makes absolutely no sense otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

All the service contracts too, paying out multiple times what something is worth to rent it and be fixed into additional charges all so they don't have to have a once off fee and make their lives easier. Easier to continue an existing expense than try to save some money.

Advertisement