Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent article on how important small landlords are and how screwing them over hasn't worked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The Revenue don't make the rules, they only apply them. At one time there were different rights depending on whether the letting was furnished or unfurnished, the tenant getting greater rights in an unfurnished tenement. Not allowing pre-letting expenses was a perverse incentive to let unfurnished rather than furnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

To take home 10k after tax a landlord has to charge 20kish. So any landlord charging under the 1700 a month mark would benefit from this.

Even at 12,000 tax free you would have properties that rent now for 2000 able to rent at 1000. And still leave the landlord better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

BBC news item: Renters reform Bill being introduced in England. Has things like doubling the notice for rent increases etc. Now I know LL can actually remove deliquent tenants in England but not one measure in the bill seemed to give the LL anything. BBC kept up the virtue politics by only having a woman from the renter advocacy group and no one representing LL side in the item on the BBC news. Oh where did I see that before ...mmmm brexit maybe.. and look how that turned out.

Anyhow the interview end with alot of backslapping and onto the next item

• Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

The ability in the UK to send in the Court Bailiffs in to remove problem tenants/mortgage holders would go a long way to reducing costs for both landlords and banks. It is the main reason mortgages are currently more expensive in Ireland then the rest of the EU.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

It is no good bemoaning the fate of small landlords. The process of eradicating them is inevitable. Like small builders they are moving towards history. Most houses are now constructed by large companies, often PLCs. Many existing landlords are over the age of 60 and will sell off in the coming years due to death, retirement, infirmity or exasperation at the regime. Younger people in their 30s can't even get their first house, let alone contemplate taking on an investment property.

• Advertisement

i would disagree. Most of the small LL left in the last few years and it was unnecessary since mainly what they wanted was to be treated somewhat fairly. Politics was played for one side which would prove to be a short sighted approach. Younger ppl would find themselves in a better position if the government had not pandered to the easy win pro tenant stuff of the last few years. The large scale handing over of property to faceless corporation was not inevitable - it should have been stopped.

Younger people cannot raise finance for investment property as easily as their predecessors a generation ago when it was possible to get multiple "home loans" from the same bank with small deposits. As the older landlords bow out, they are not being replace at the same rate.

its not an attractive investment. Most of the small LL left were not investors. I ended up a small LL and only owned the house I was renting while renting elsewhere. Alot of ppl I know instead of trading up used the property as a sort of pension. I dont know many people who bought to invest. The ones I do know fit your age profile though in that they are 60 plus. these were not one property chaps though. often 2 or 3 properties and one guy owned 6 properties. Alot of them have very ordinary jobs and just happened to be born at the right time and not make a life somewhere else like alot of there school friends did.

What I lament is ppl like me would have stayed on only for gov intervention and I am not a greedy f8cker niether.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Using tax to incentivise investment in private lets but it doesn't address the elephant in the room called uncertainty. There are 3 big ones.

Revenue uncertainty: Tenant doesn't pay rent.

Non cyclical asset depreciation uncertainty: House gets wrecked.

Regulatory uncertainty: What nonsense from day time radio discussions will become law next.

The point I am making is that the older people with 2 or 3 properties bought them years ago and when the sell they are not being replaced by a new generation of small time landlords.

• Advertisement

I see what your saying. My point was that they (60+) already were replaced by the next generation(40 +) and that would have continued only for the interventions in the last ten years.

The 40+ brackets sold up.They generally had maybe one property rented and the older ones started offloading also. They were replaced by corporates and housing charities and the council buying up properties.

People in their forties were no older than mid 30s when the musical chairs stopped. There hasn't been funding available for buy to let investors for nearly 15 years. The older LLs are dropping out and there are very few taking their place. 20 years ago a person could build up a small portfolio in their 30s and 40s. That hasn't been possible since. Those who expanded in the final years of the Celtic Tiger crashed out in the downturn. There are still receiver sales of those loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

Apologies don’t have time to read the article - is something actually changing? Current taxation is crazy 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All the government want to do is bring in investment from outside for speculators for our housing market. Less mom and pop landlords the more the demand for REITS who can drive up prices and increase their profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

The problems:

- lack of supply

- unfair & one sided legislation

- specifically a legislated for inability to deal quickly & efficiently with bad tenants

- excessive red tape & administration

- unallowable expenses & tax treatment

- lack of incentives to rent / continue to rent

- preferential treatment of overseas investment funds over Irish taxpayers

- lack of supply, lack of supply, lack of supply....

The 'solution' provided by gov:

- even more unfair, one sided, overly bureaucratic legislation, multiple changes to this legislation & more added costs in those providing rental property

The outcome:

- Irish based (small) landlords selling up & leaving the sector in droves

- less supply in the rental sector

- less properties to let & an even more dysfunctional market

Basically, the government has stupidly punished the existing providers of 50% of the housing needs of others (i.e. small Irish landlords), for a basic lack of supply that the government, banks & market forces are responsible for. The media has been a populist cheerleader in this punitive legislative frenzy.

Crazy stuff tbh.

Post edited by daithi7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

This debate will continue endlessly. One group want rent cheaper no matter what and no matter who pays once it isn't them. This group also seem to think that all financial rules and regulation should be ignored and effectively wanting private individuals to pay to subsidise renters.

The other group seem to want fair regulation where landlords are not responsible where the government should be.

I think that covers it.

It is nobody else's concern how much mortgage or not a landlord should have to dictate rent and complain that somebody took a risk and made money. Doesn't matter if they never made a loss it was a risk and it is a risk now

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I don't think the landlords "want fair regulation where landlords are not responsible where the government should be.".

Id say a major issue is that the non paying of rent or destruction of property has poor controls so the landlord ends up footing the bill. The renter should be held responsible and found accountable within a reasonable period of time (if they are responsible). If so, they should not be able to abscond scott free or stay in a property for months on end for "free".

Small landlords are unable to take that risk so exit the market. I was looking at renting as an investment possibility years ago. It wasn't remotely worth the risk back then so I went into shares. My return has been much better, reliable and less risky with no huge headache or maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Not to me as a landlord and I would also state the legislation protecting tenants is so the government don't have to deal with people who don't pay rent so covered by what I am saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

But increased supply which could bring rents down is seen as competition and therefore opposed by small landlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Why are the RTB now telling landlords to pay €40 per annum where it was €90 for 6 years if you had the same tenant.

Feeding some bs line that their updating all info to make it better and that why they are doing it.

I'd much rather that I could opt out of this RTB crowd because as far as I'm concerned there as much use to a landlord as bra is to a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

How on earth does a small landlord have any influence on supply of rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A few reasons. The running of the RTB is costing more. There is less turn over of rentals. Tenants are looking for part 4 tenancies where possible.

Tenants find it harder to move because of supply. I have a son and daughter renting. If a tenant moves out of a house a new tenant is found straight away to take there place therefore there is no new contract.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ThreeGreens

In isolation that makes sense. However when you combine it with rental pressure zones it does not. If the landlord reduces their rent to benefit from this, they can never increase rents again. Firstly because increasing would make the whole rent taxable (not just the amount over the limit) and secondly because they are capped to inflation increases. So if the government ever pull the relief or reduce the limits (both very likely at some point in the future) the landlord would find themselves with a massively below market rate rent which was fully taxable.

Also, the unattractive rental return would also mean that the only sale possible would be to an owner occupier, which limits the number of potential buyers which reduces the value of the property.

If the government ever acted on Sinn Fein's calls to ensure that properties must be sold with sitting tenants that the value of the property in this case would be terribly reduced because of the massively below market returns.

Honestly, I can't see many landlord choosing to avail of this if it came in. At least not ones in a rent pressure zone (or who anticipated being added to a rent pressure zone).

In any case, I'm not sure landlord have a genuine complaint about the taxation of rents. Landlords real concerns is not the taxation of the rent, but rather the fear of not being able to get rid of a bad/non-paying tenant. I think most small landlords would much prefer an effective and speedy resolution mechanism that would allow a non-paying tenant to be quickly and cheaply evicted, than tax reductions.

Through lobbying to have extra tax placed on investment into the market thereby limiting the supply of rental units and so forcing up rents.

What lobbying?

You seem to be implying that something that hasn't happened is what's forcing up rents and reducing supply. That makes no sense.

"The Irish Property Owners’ Association (IPOA) told TDs and senators there was a “real risk” of an oversupply of housing as a result of policies which incentivise overseas funds to invest in the Irish housing market.

In a written submission to members of the Oireachtas ..."

[Source]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It needs to be opt-in. So if you don't want to do it, if you are worried about RPZ or you have 4 properties, you just stick with the normal rent amount and pay tax on the lot. I agree with the evictions part. In the UK you go to court in a matter of weeks, it is cheap, the court appoints people who have authority to go and reclaim the property.

There is actually a TV show about them on one of the UK channels. I watch it. The boys turn up and make sure the home is secured. Very often it is a mess but at least the landlord gets it back in a few weeks. Not years.

Can't see that group has ever achieved anything. Maybe you could tell us what they successfully lobbied for.

Any relevant information that your alluding to is behind a paywall. I went looking to see what % of the 160k landlords are members of it's seems to be very few but I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

It is to pay for the RTBs new computer system.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement