Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For All Mankind (SciFi Apple TV+)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Enjoyed that episode. Very fast paced, almost a little too so - but did a good job of laying everything out on the table. The aging wasn't as bad as it could've been, it's incredibly how many shows make zero effort in that regard. What age are Ed and Karen meant to be now - mid 50s?

Solid entertainment though. Looking forward to more.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fran38

That particular cover of "Don't be cruel" as a wedding first dance? But it was funny to see Karen squirm as she realized where she had heard that previously 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

In the first series it was noted that Ed fought in the Korean war, around 1950ish, so if he was 18-20 then, he'd be over 60 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Not only was Thatcher killed but the story raises some questions about longevity in the alt universe because DeValera was very much still alive (the day before he would have turned 102) and president of Ireland!

Other alt-timeline facts I picked up were that Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal was disallowed and he 'handed' England victory in the quarter final, suggesting video assistant referee technology may have been in place by 1986. Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan played Gordo and Tracy in a movie about them. Which is a neat little reference to the fact that IRL, Quaid played Gordo in The Right Stuff. There was a newspaper story about the RL arrest of Navy Intelligence Analyst Jonathon Pollard for giving classified information to Israel which felt like a possible foreshadowing of Margo's future. The Beatles got back together. Gorbachev and Fidel Castro celebrate the 73rd anniversary of the October Revolution in Moscow. Following which Trump plans buildings in Red Square with the approval of Gorbachev. America does not intervene in the invasion of Kuwait, most likely due to how much less reliance the world has on oil due to safe nuclear fusion.

AIDS appears to be following a similar trajectory in the Alt universe. I'd speculate that it may be somewhat worse as I would not be surprised if 1992 attitudes to homosexuality are even less liberal in the show than they were in our world. For us this period felt like the beginning of more openness about homosexuality, awareness of how HIV spread and could be prevented and sympathy with those affected rather than fear and anger. But in the show I suspect that we're going to see AIDS and antigay sentiment play a huge role in Ellen's storylines. I just hope that Larry survives it. His main S2 storyline seemed to be his enjoyment of 80s gay nightlife. Early in the season I thought he might either end up being coerced by Russian spies (the story which went to Margo) or affected by AIDS, either through getting sick himself or losing friends. Instead he mainly just played a supporting role in Ellen's story, though HIV/AIDS could have even more impact on their lives if he gets sick or they are outed when she is running for President or even has become President.

Post edited by iguana on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3.2: 😁 That ending was priceless! Well.. now things are spiced up!

Molly in the bath saying Stick it to the bastards was hilarious! 😂

Hrmmm...

I think the USSR mission to Mars felt it was kept a bit vague this episode but that felt alright since the episode was focused on setting up this private sector venture

Private sector mission.. I mean.. I dunno.. it could play into the earlier problems from the last episode later one. Maybe something could go wrong.. some leftover damage.

NASA mission feels like they have setup some failure points. The two episodes repeating to the audience that Danielle is more scientist than mission commander. Also likely Stevens will be on board.. which from the last episode feels like a good idea.. but they are making him look more dodgy now. I'm also guessing Danielle will now bring Eds daughter.. probably as some sort of dig at him.

I think a big win for this show is I think any of the three or a combination of any number of them working together could get to Mars. The story writers have established themselves enough to keep it feeling like they could have a surprise in store.

Two big blunders this episode I thought. Felt like the editor must have taken the day off or no one on the crew gave the episode a watch with quality control in mind.

• Russian Federation flag outside the Antartica station.. not the USSR flag.. the national flag of Russia.. ok like.. I guess some remnants of the pre-1917 country are holding out in Antartica then 😁
    • The robot voice reading out what Molly was typing on her computer.. barely even close to what they showed she had been typing

• Advertisement

Great episode - loved that ending and the reactions.

Molly in the bathtub at the end laughing was particularly great. I'm not at all wild about the Danny and Karen story-line being dragged up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I never thought they would redeem Karen but she seemed to being selflessly helping Ed, So i think they are half way to doing that. Its a pity what they are doing with Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

For All Mankind — The Science Behind Season 3: Episode 1, Polaris | Apple TV+

blaa not good, looking for good discussion reviews, lots of spam and retaions on youtube

Had they turned on their other three thrusters would that have not slowed the rotation, or put too much strain on the ship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 2 and maybe it's my black hearted cynicism, honed by Bezos and Musk's dream of libertarian or privatised hell holes in space and on Mars, but Mr Helios' big pitch about a Martian colony that trumped the rivalry of governments left a sour taste. Maybe that's where this plot strand is heading but I never bought the sincerity for a second. Especially that slightly nauseating "collective" structure of his office. I'm damn sure he still gets to call the shots.

Anyway, all that said it was a fun episode to establish the new three way race; and of the earthbound subplots, one has to presume Ellen will be putting her private life in the firing line with a Jesus freak as her VP pick. Can't see how it wouldn't at this point, even if her home life facade seems more airtight than ever. Just don't see it ending well there.

Good point re. AIDS. I presume both Ellen and her husband are still having quiet affairs with others - and as you say it was the era for peak AIDS panic. As soon as she mentioned that VPs ideologies I went "uh oh".

Also good spot about DeValera! Haha I guess the designers did a very quick Google for famous Irish politicians and reckoned DeValera would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Another great episode this week. This is the best thing on TV at the moment IMO.

Margo finally having to face the reality of her flirtations. I thought when she got home she'd back away when she rejected the record, but then the KGB are doing this a long time and know exactly what buttons to press.

And loved the last few minutes (awesome track too). We're off!

• Advertisement

3.3: Felt a bit like a filler.. but anyway.. They're Off!

Felt like they went a bit cheap by not including the

earlier launch of the NASA support ship that was gonna be doing a slingshot around Venus.

So.. anyway.. people got shuffled all over the place.

Feels like the NASA weakness might be the Venus support craft. Possibly also the expertise they've lost to Helios.

Helios weakness might be the way they seem be getting setup with people who might let the mission down. Maybe ship issues with something leftover from the Hotel incident.

The Russians.. I dunno. Eh.. show feels like it's keeping them hazy.. possibly the writers want to be able to inject anything they want positve/negative about them later on as a 'haha gotcha'. Like.. ok folks.. that's not exactly new after season one.

Another solid episode. The soundtrack is really incredible and used so effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Danny is totally going to kill or not help Ed if there is trouble on the way or at Mars.

Can't believe this story line has carried over to S3.

Yeah it was the worst part of s2 and really is a soap level plot its so bad. Sad to see Bill Clinton not winning rhe election, wonder if there is peace in northern ireland in this timeline 😁

Seeing as how Thatcher was killed by the IRA in the Brighton bombing, I doubt NI is in a good state.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not at all sold on that plot device, especially as her connection to him has been there for a very long time. Given how sharp her reflexes are on everything else it all seems a bit far-fetched. Thought the visit to her room was carboard villain stuff.

I dont know without thatcher it may have been in a better place. John Major like Blair was more nuanced in their approach to NI

If Thatcher had just died of natural causes or in an accident, I'd agree. But for the PM to have been murdered by a terrorist group would have had dire consequences for the lives of people in NI and Anglo-Irish relations. William Whitelaw would have become the Prime Minister, after Thatcher's death as he was the Deputy PM at the time. John Major was only an assistant whip and had relatively minor influence. Whitelaw was Secretary of State of Northern Ireland in 1972 and self-reportedly found the IRA unpleasant to deal with. He and Thatcher had a good, mutually respectful relationship. If they had killed her, in 1984, I really don't think things would have been in a relatively good place in the 90s.

The head of NASA was blackmailed into given nuclear secrets to the Russians and you call that filler?

Yeah.. what got me there was how that was given away last season. Then in this, I was thinking .. Oh this is cool, it's a bit mission impossible ish.. but then that got me thinking about how there was no sign of any USA spycraft.. and then she didn't involve them.. and then I remembered the miliary being so more heavily involved in the past.. and now the country is sourrounded.. I'd have imagined the miliary would've been more up front.. and it all just started taking from the immersion...

but they got the message across. it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Really is a fantastic show.

For those who like the music in all three seasons, playlist is up on Spotify, great listen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 and damn Margo; the moment Sergei made that clumsy play for the nuclear designs, I knew things wouldn't end well for her. I felt sorry for her but also disappointed she would be that naive.

Mind you, we don't know for sure she has completely committed treason either. If she has, it's going to be impossible for the character to walk back from that and would have to be gone by season 4 ... unless she made a deal with the FBI and we find out there's an intentional flaw in the reactor design. The Soviets have rarely been that front centre in the show and this year seems more interested in Helios v. NASA.

Danny's an agent of chaos waiting to happen; Ed's decision making a little hard to swallow. Danny's possibly the weakest element of the cast but the show hasn't always resisted clumsy human drama for the sake of some twists and turns.

Still, good episode, and is keeping things nicely bubbling over. From here on I guess things are about to go wrong ... in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this show is just getting better and better and you can see they are pumping more money into the budget which we are seeing on screen

I am actually liking that it is not a bingeable show and I have something to look forward to every week

I can't see how binging is realistic these days, with shows like this, Stranger Things, and others exceeding the 1 hour runtime. Not complaining when it's a show this enjoyable but crazy how rare the traditional 42 minute structure is these days.

this whole moon mining thing has suddenly become an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well, remember the various time jumps would account for that in part.

The effects that the tech involved in a space race that never ended filtering down into the commercial and civilian arena has already shown electric cars in the 80s, and now improved energy sources gradually displacing fossil fuels and the effects that would have on those working in those industries.

It stands to reason that the ordinary world outside NASA is starting to diverge more and more from our own as these changes bed in. It's no doubt a deliberate commentary on our own world (albeit 30 years earlier) with the shifts to electric and renewable energy.

Great episode this week though. I wonder will the footage and analysis of the Soviet nuclear boosters ultimately expose Margo when it becomes clear that it's an American design.

Aleida gave Margo a surprised look when Margo blurted out that the Russians were about to over temp their engine. Margo should not immediately have known the exactly how a 20% increase in their thrust would affect their engine. While they are using the same general technology, they shouldn't be completely identical so should have somewhat different capabilities. Margo shouldn't have so assuredly known exactly what would happen. Aleida might forget about that moment if not for the fact that they are going to receive the footage Dani had ordered to be taken of the Mars-94 engines. When the NASA engineers see that and realise how identical they are, Aleida will probably remember that Margo seemed to know a bit more than she should have.

3.4: That was a well written episode. I had to keep changing my guesses about what was going to happen over and over. Even to the last moment, there were surprises.

The one giveaway I missed was in terms of computer effects.. I'd been thinking the Helios ship just looked better done. I'd been chalking it up to it being in multiple episode.

Not sure what's gonna happen next. Some kind of turnaround for Helios maybe.. maybe some merging of two or three of the ships to get all to Mars or Earth... and/or maybe just Helios does the dirty and leaves them all behind.

3.5: I have to give credit to the music composer here. They really brought a feel good bump to the Mars race.

The ups and downs of who would get there and the abort/no-abort didn't really land for me becuase the pause for the Helios landing taking three days.

BUT! that music and the achievement of landing and the feel-good. That registered rock solid. So well done the music composer there.

The bit about who set foot first was funny too 🙂

Wierd that I started feeling more distracted now by the seeming non-existence of USA intelligence forces/operatives. Being a bit struck by that then, I was like..

oh look a storm on Mars.. right yeah ok

They might want to shore up this storyline a bit. Maybe Margo going to the DOJ will kick something off instead of Aleida being the only counter-intelligence force in the USA. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just got caught up on the new season today. Really loving it so far. Thought it was very well done how they switched back and forth on the rescue mission for the Russians. Ed made the good decision but the control was taken from him, Danielle still managing to make it to Mars, and lots of potential drama between all three crews once they've all landed. I'm only mildly interested in how the Margo thing plays out, mainly because this show has a habit of skipping large chunks of time, so we could tune in next episode and she's been in jail for 3 years already 😄

Mixed feelings on them carrying the Danny/Karen thing over to this season, really only because its been so long since it happened. He seems really creepy and unhinged to be hanging onto it for this long. That said, the message he was recording to his brother made me quite sad, not sure I felt sad for him, but the whole situation feels quite sad. They could pull it out of the bag and make something good of it yet, but I've a feeling it will just now be used for big drama after Ed aborted the landing. Interesting though that they established in that last episode that both Danny's brother and Karen's friend know about it too.

Advertisement