Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Contracts signed, waiting for exchange, supposed to be completing on Monday but we're in a long enough chain so the stress levels are through the roof at the moment. I'll be a bundle of nerves on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

We've made a decent but if progress but still have an unanswered query on the purchase contract.

There isn't a clause to protect us should the bank decide at last minute not to issue funds. If that happened we would be open to losing full deposit and being sued.

Solicitor said we could take gamble if we were confident in bank. We've spoken to bank and they seem to be ready to go but we're very unsure if we want to take risk. (Bank is kbc so who knows what could happen)

The purchasers of our house are desperate to get in so really don't want to cause more delays.

Has anyone had any experience with bank not issuing funds after loan offer? Our circumstances haven't changed apart from a promotion and pay increase. Also we're only requesting a bit more than half of what we were originally approved for so it isn't a high risk offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Based on what you posted you should go for it. The bank aren't going to renege on the offer. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

All contracts now signed. Closure is, hopefully, Thursday next week. Keeping every finger and toe crossed that all goes smoothly and we finally move after the letdown in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I signed contracts for house I'm buying last week, but have no idea if the sellers have signed theirs as my solicitor is on holiday until the end of next week. Really want to get the closing date sorted so I can get my insurance in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

You cannot 100% guarantee the bank will release funds come closing, even with loan offer issued. It was common practice, particularly with COVID, for the bank to request additional documentation even after loan offer was issued come sale closure or renewal of lapsed loan offer. Who knows what circumstances lie ahead in the coming weeks or months as you wait to close on the sale. Any unexpected additional delays on sale closure which happens from time to time can also increase the risk of a loan offer lapsing, in between your personal circumstances changing (for the worse) and bank refusing to issue funds. It's rare but not impossible. I would thread very carefully, speaking from experience. Our bank refused on closing week to issue funds due my partner being temporarily laid off expectantly. Luckily we had the protection of our deposit in our contracts.

Thanks for both replies. It got sorted (other party agreed) so full steam ahead now hoping to close Thursday

Sold my own house last month, which went 25% over asking. Happy days we thought, however we have been outbid twice so far, with the prices also going 20-25% over asking.

Went sale agreed, only for me to cancel my offer, as there were difficulties with the title. I found a short term rental, for the next 5 months, so worn out, and stressed out. I have 5 months to buy, can't see much happening over the summer, have a bid in on one house, but it's not ideal, and I wonder should I just buy it, or wait until September, and see what else comes on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Hi All, been following this page for a while and we have been trying to move since January. We have gone sale agreed on our own house 5 weeks ago and we have another house lined up that we are purchasing and we are sale agreed and all ready to go there. The only delay now is the couple who are purchasing our house are awaiting a credit check from poland? Has anyone encountered this before and did it cause much of a delay. Apparently their bank loan offer is ready to go once they get this check done, my concern is they already sent away for it and it never arrived so they had to send again, so just worried what happens here if it doesn arrive again.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Interested in peoples' thoughts on this one... Viewed a property yesterday, it's been on the market for at least a month; was up at 495, dropped to 475 on 16th June.

I phoned up on Mon/Tue this week to book a viewing, was told by the office that there was one offer at 435. At the viewing yesterday, the agent said 'we have an offer of 475, it came in just as we were dropping the price'. When myself and another person at the viewing said that that didn't match what the office had told us, the agent said 'oh, I must just have forgotten to register the bid yet'.

I've always been very sceptical of the 'fake bid' conspiracy theory, but something about this one seems a bit iffy to me... I'm considering phoning the office again on Monday to see what they say the current highest bid is, and if that matches what the agent said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Put in 440k and wait. If it’s fake bid they will contact you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

Went sale agreed in April on the house we are buying but then we heard nothing for weeks and weeks. Eventually we were told it was due to title issues.

The vendors have said we can move in and rent it for a nominal fee on a letting contract drawn up by our solicitor once he's seen the contract they are drawing up for the sale, based on the title documents they CAN find currently.

The vendors assure us that they can find the relevant documents and will be applying to register title. They think this might take 6 or 12 months at which point our letting agreement can terminate and the purchase proceed.

However, our solicitor has said he cannot guarantee that the search won't uncover other issues, nor can he guarantee that title application will be accepted if they can't locate everything.

So, we rent for a year but if it goes tits up we would have to move out.

Himself is also not keen on the arrangement because it's like putting our plans for the house on hold for a year and he really doesn't want to move again. But ...we are under huge pressure to move because our house buyers have been waiting for months now.

Please can you folks offer some thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

I'm in a similar situation. Went sale agreed late May, the other side were taking ages to send through contracts to my solicitors. It turns out there was issues with the deeds, and they would need to be replaced. We're currently 5 weeks waiting, and have another 5 weeks to close or our interest rate will be going up. We've been assured it will only be a short wait, so we'll see.

Frustrating when you've got everything in place on your end, you're FTB, no chain, moving into a vacant property, and mucking around by the other side can end up costing you tens of thousands over the course of your mortgage.

Frustrating and stressful it is. I'm from Britain and moving to Ireland. We've been over again this week trying to sort things out but I'd say we are no further forward at the point. ( writing this on the ferry home )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Welcome to the world of estate agent bullshit and outright lies.

Contracts signed and exchanged, moving date tomorrow. House is 99% packed up and ready to go. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Well done! Enjoy the moment. Can't wait to post the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Did you tell the neighbours you secretly hated all along what you really think of them? 😄

It think the main things that can get forgotten are like moving your car ownership address, income tax address, telling work your new address, etc, the things that you aren't actually immediately changing like utility companies that can get forgotten until its time to tax the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 EvoEvo

I have a quick question about the letter of indemnity.

Probably I'll get seller's contract etc next week. My solicitor told me that the letter of indemnity will be released only after signing the contract.

but at the same time, my broker told me that I need to provide this letter at least 10 days before the closing date.

I really would like to have a closing date very close to the signing contract date before the rates increment in mid-July...

do you have any advice?

How long it takes to get this letter from the management company? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

Congrats and the very best of luck to you.

All going smoothly I hope to be in your position Thursday. Movers will be in on Wednesday and we're tagging where things are going in the new house. We also have stuff coming in our car and trying to remember everything is painful on the brain. The movers are holding our stuff for an extra day as we are moving to Donegal. They apparently set out at about 6 in the morning so we would not have the keys by the time they reach there. I'm so not unpacking for a few days after we get there!

• Advertisement

My sister is currently my neighbour so she knows exactly what I think about her 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 19 demr

If you were waiting 12 months and housing prices continued to creep up I would be worried that the vendors might decide their house is worth more? For me it would come down to how much trust I had in the vendors. It would also be a headache having to reapply for a mortgage if you are using one. However if you feel you otherwise would be renting for another year anyway you'd only just have the hassle of moving. The only pro's I could see though is that you get to find out if it is the house you truly want and figure out what you ultimately want to do with it.

Got closing date today, 24th of July. 3 years of stress may finally be at an end.

Worst case scenario stuff here. Moving date today, our buyers are waiting on their house sale going through first. Apparently their solicitors only requested the mortgage drawn down this morning so their bank didn't release the funds until 4pm. Highly unlikely at this stage that our purchase is going through today. So movers have been sitting with the vans packed since 11am this morning. £95/hr. No storage space available overnight, fully booked for the rest of the week. Wtf do we do? Our movers are trying to sort something out for us but for the love of sweet mother fcukers, what the actual fcuk were the buyer's buyer's solicitors thinking?

Oh no disaster. Can you contact the owners of place ur buying and ask can you leave items there even in garage. Just not stay there until it has officially closed

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Man with a plan

I'm purchasing a house. Got the house valued last week in May. Broker advised it normally takes about a week for the bank to send mortgage pack after that. Its almost 5 weeks now !!! and we're just told everyday by the broker they are doing all they can to chase this up with the bank. I understand the banks are busy at the moment but 5 weeks and no end in sight is crazy :(

We asked that and were refused. We've sorted out a storgae place but now have to wait till Friday to get our furniture moved over. Fingers crossed we get the keys at least tomorrow. Surely there'll be some sort of recourse for us with the ones at the start of the chain who have fucked this up for our buyers and us. We're both now out a substantial amount of money for the delay. It'll probably cost us £1000 to pay for the storage and movers. Absolutely fuming.

I don’t think there’ll be recourse. This is just how these things work. It can be a nightmare. Count yourself lucky that the whole chain didn’t fall apart…..only takes one link in the chain to have a last minute glitch with the bank and the for whole series of sales and purchases to collapse completely. Happened to my sister on moving day and the kids were devastated. Being out a grand on storage is far from the worst case scenario

Thanks for your input there. Much appreciated:)

I hadn't actually considered the possibility of the house price rising. That's not a comfy thought.

We don't have a mortgage to worry about ( we're old gits ☺️ ) but that said our budget is limited so a price rise would be concerning.

• Advertisement

My loan pack which was just issued took a month, so 5 weeks isn't crazy.

Advertisement