Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A means tested pregnancy allowance would be a fantastic initiative giving mums and dads support to build up the resources they need post birth to care for their child. 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

No - I am not saying that at all. I am saying you can't ban books for extremely mild references to things you don't like while claiming to be against big government. If the books had a chapter that pushed actual CRT but none of the 54 that have been banned do anything close to that.

The only example that has been provided so far is a single activity that refers to racial biases (where there are at least 102 other activities in the book, likely many more than that). The other example had absolutely nothing to do with CRT, SEL is about trying to help student be empathetic (god forbid a child learns empathy).

I am known to be very anti-gun and I'd fully agree it would be an example of big-government on the left if I heard that NY state had pulled a maths book because it had one activity amongst at least 100 that showed the number of people of different ages who used guns for hunting.

You can't have it both ways - you can't use the government to enforce your beliefs, onto the citizens, including children, and claim that you are for small government.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,525 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

On the flip side try telling the family of a dead woman who needlessly dies while protecting a foetus, that the foetus had more of a right to life than she had.

That's why is I use the term human life as much as possible. It covers all stages, races and genders in acknowledgement and effectively shuts up the language police.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

why are you conflating murder with miscarriage?

obviously, if the pregnancy is wanted and something bad happens, that is terrible.

don't know why this is so hard for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Are you talking about a woman needing a abortion to save her life? I don't see anyone suggesting she shouldn't have an abortion in that case.

My post was in response to someone with a very flippant attitude toward the life of the unborn, seemingly at any stage before they are born.

Any example of where the human life in the womb has more rights than the mother? Or are you just typing baseless nonsense?

Ah yes, when the "other side" organise boycotts and doxxing it's just free speech but when the other other side don't approve a book for a curriculum then it's a ban. FFS.

why would you means test it?

thats just adding additional cost and bureaucracy.

benefits like this should be universal.

if someone is already rich and doesnt need it, just take it back at tax time.

although i do doubt your sincerity

I would have presumed that the party of enforced birth would have recently have supported initiatives that would have ended the baby formula shortages and funding for poor children to be provided food but surprisingly that was not the case...

Similarly, I would have imagined states where Republicans have complete control of would have low maternal mortality rates, low infant mortality rates, low child poverty rates, high education results but again shockingly they all trend towards the bottom of the tables for all of these...

It is as if they are complete hypocrites regarding caring about babies and children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Child support is for supporting a child's needs, it's literally in the name. Until the child is born it doesn't have any real financial needs.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

yep, it just culture war stuff to whip their base up while picking the pocket of the citizens with corporate friendly laws and taking away rights and keeping the poors down.

Seriously have no idea which side you're talking about when it comes to boycotts and doxxing - both are constantly at it.

There are plenty of justifiable reasons to ban a book from a curriculum but banning them because they might teach your child empathy is outrageous big government overreach

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Protests across the pond. Those in California mostly pro-choice. Women in our university town not happy with Supreme Court decision. And that is an understatement! Most claim they will vote Republicans out November. Only time will tell.

but the right believes its a child before birth.

either they believe it is, and is entitled to all the supports of an actual born child, or it isn't.

which is it?

Tell me you've never had a child without actually telling me you've never had a child (especially in the US)...

There is plenty of financial cost parents have to undertake during pregnancy and to prepare their home for a child before it is born.

Not approved = banned, but of course in this case.

If someone is already rich and never had kids they're gonna be taxed more?

Why doubt my sincerity? I think targeted welfare to those who need it are good initiatives as long as it is done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I haven't mentioned murder. You said until they are born there is no child. You seemingly place at least some value on the unborn baby in the case of a miscarriage, but what seems to be no value at all in the case of an abortion all the way up until the moment before it's born.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

One of the oddest moments after the repeal vote was the sudden announcement that US funded anti abortion groups would now financially support women to keep the child. Now as far as I'm aware there was no follow up on that claim, but it does show their contempt for women. To them women are vassals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Emmm no.

To begin with all the things that you need for a newborn are generally bought before the birth of the child. If you are going to have a baby then you need this stuff ahead of time. Afterwards you have to be doing and a baby to look after which is tough enough if you haven't prepped for it.

when im talking about child support, im talking about getting it from the government and if the parents are not together, then the father also must pay child support to the mother from the moment of conception.

and yes, if a benefit is universal everyone gets it. if there is a cut-off point established to prevent wealthy people from getting a benefit they don't need, then yes, take it back at tax time. wheres the issue?

Not quite sure what sort of mental gymnastics you're trying to perform here.

If it is the off-topic book ban - yes, telling teachers they cannot use a book because you disagree with tiny elements of it due to your political ideology is a ban.

If it is the on-topic abortion Supreme Court decision - yes, allowing states to ban abortion is banning abortion and in many cases IVF treatment bans also (while also implying that bans on same sex marriage, same sex relationships, and contraception should also be reconsidered to be allowed).

another poster referred to it as murder and that was the post i was replying to.

you seem to have a problem in differentiating between a wanted and unwanted pregnancy.

I'm not going to make you see things my way. I'm at peace with that and am moving on with my Monday evening. Feel free to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Said belief is not in conflict with what I've just said. The law in nearly every nation in the world has decided that support starts once it was exited the womb, as that is when it is most needed. The belief that it's a child before birth or not is not in conflict with that.

Funny that you mention child support all the same when talking about choices and freedoms, because on the other end of the spectrum if a man does not want a child, and the women does, he has no choice. He's saddled with the financial burden regardless of what he wants. Yet men would be viewed as monsters if they started screaming "WHY WALLET MY CHOICE"

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

i think thats whats referred to as a full retreat lol

Not in the least. I made my statements and stand over them. If someone wants to argue against something I didn't say (an all too common pattern alas) or fail to understand basic English I'm not going to waste my time on them.

would you be in favour of changing the laws to support the child from the moment of conception?

its not the mans body therefore he doesn't get to dictate what a woman does with hers.

• Advertisement

Both sides were funded from outside sources. Your post alludes that only the no side got funding which suggests a degree of naiveite.

What was achieved in the end by the repeal vote here is pretty similar to the outcome of the US SC overturning Roe V Wade.

The liberals in Ireland were dancing in Dublin Castle with joy after repeal, however they're fuming at a very similar outcome in the USA. Funny old world.

Advertisement