Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 4 and the strongest installment of the season so far. Each group got lots to do, with each finding themselves in relative peril giving an overall sense that no segue gave too much relief from the escalating danger - be it the physical with a sudden SWAT attack, or supernatural and Vecna making his presence known. Everything really came together quite nicely; with Max & Sadie Sink carrying the emotional aspects. The final moments of the episode were pretty epic, and the show in its pomp.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There's some whispers starting about Sadie Sink being in the Oscars conversation for The Whale. Not sure it's based on anyone having actually seen it yet, but it would be excellent timing for her career. Straight off the biggest TV show in the world and into a serious and respected film career.

I do wonder how many of the other cast members will be able to move beyond Stranger Things, and how many of them will be that one character forever for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Shoog

Loving season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

She is starting to stand out acting wise in the show. MBB will stay famous like Emma Watson did but I don't see her as a big actor down the line.

Good luck to Sadie but I don't think I will be seeing this Oscar performance as it's "a psychological drama directed by Darren Aronofsky"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As we were saying in the Gaming threads, Sadie would be a good shout to play Aloy in the Netflix version of the Horizon games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or indeed, want to move on. Always worth remembering the Jack Gleesons of this world; someone who part time acted, auditioned for a random fantasy role and boom, Kong Joffrey, most hated actor/character on TV. Not surprised he retired full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I actually had Lost In Space's Mina Sundwall in mind for that.

That's true, and I'm sure the original cast members have a nice amount of money in the bank at this stage, so no need to keep going if they don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Episode 5

"Let's turn off the flashlights and split up"

Good god, why would you say such a thing?

There was so many film/tv references in that episode. Even 11's weird repeating lab dream had a strong Twin Peaks vibe about it.

Good episode again.

The flashlight thing was a way of tracking Vecna through the house. Whoever said it had to say it so the others would know what the plan was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Fantastic season - excellent tv.

Hopefully; lord knows there are also stories of parents pocketing the riches earned from their child-actor's fame. While Netflix has a reputation for underpaying its talent and staff with convenient "...not 'til Season 3 and onwards" style contracts.

In any case, hope the kids are happy and living a life of their choosing, and "celebrity" has been entirely opt-in for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

great trailer. Kate Bush must be rolling in the money for the last few weeks. She even broke 3 records when Runnin up that Hill went to No 1 in the UK last week. She now boasts the longest time taken for a track to reach Number 1 (37 Years), the longest gap between Number 1 Singles (44 Years) and the title of oldest female ever to top the Official Singles Chart.

They have iRadio on in the canteen at work and safe to say they don't want to risk losing people to Vecna since they played it at lunch the both days I was in. Had ones at my table wondering why they hear it in the radio so often now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Gotta hand it to Netflix, they know how to make a tantalising trailer! Kudos to their marketing department.

Gonna be a long week and a half waiting for this..

I keep forgetting it's so close. I just keep thinking it's in July, forgetting July is already nearly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Umbrella academy out tomorrow, that'll pass the time til July!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just finished episode 07. That was fantastic stuff. The whole 011 in the lab thing was wearing a bit (over the previous episodes) but that final half hour was brilliant stuff.

On top of what came before it in Russia and all the rest. Very good television.

Can't wait.

Post edited by De Bhál on

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Whoever produced the music for that trailer deserves a raise. Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement

Episode 5 and suffered from that kind of plate spinning those excessive run times have been causing. Characters like Argyle (finally caught his name!) having no business in the story at all. Only, maybe, 1 or 2 plots actually moved forward by any degree, others feeling more like a check-in than advancement. Eleven and the Scooby gang had the most momentum, the rest left me a bit apathetic - even if Murray's Karate left me grinning.

Will's little speech to Mike about being truthful about one's feelings, then looking somewhat longingly at his friend, caused a double take. That going where I think it's going I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That was the best of Stranger Things to date. Really glad they leant into the horror and suspense elements, it gave the usual high production values a reason to exist beyond nostalgia and they clearly do it well. Also:

[spoiler]having a protagonist with a bit more of a back story and personality worked way better than the faceless evil of previous seasons[/spoiler]

Hoping they stay on this tack for the finale and into season five.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I thought it pretty clear that Will has a crush on Mike and that's why he was being an arse to 11. The painting we've yet seen is obviously of will. Is that what you mean?

That whole thing has been hinted at since last season.

Well guess I'm just blind. Haha, honestly I never twigged any of that til Will's fairly obvious and inpassioned - even to me it seems - speech.

Haven't watched S3 since it first dropped so cannot honestly recall but it's very much telegraphed in S4.

Really really looking forward to the last 2 installments, plan getting the kids to bed early on Friday and watching both.

Your tv gaydar needs adjusting mate. 🤣🤣🤣

Was only this season I noticed it. I think it's cause they are a bit older now and I'm taking comments as being less innocent.

Im not going to spoiler tag this because it's from S3. There was a thread through S3 with Will being a bit behind the other boys in terms of being interested in girls. He wanted to keep playing games and just hanging out and all that. He and Mike have an argument at one point and Mike says "it's not my fault you don't like girls".

That led to a lot of speculation and different cast members said different things about it, but Finn Wolfhard said that they shot it a few times with a few different wordings, one of which was "it's not my fault you don't like girls YET", and he didn't know at the time which one they'd end up using, but he did kind of think that the choice they made did imply what they are being way less subtle about in S4.

• Advertisement

Back then I thought it was just a sort of PTSD where he doesn't want to grow up. But S4 looks different.

Advertisement