Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Looks like we are yet again getting away with murder here in Dublin compared to rest of country.

16 degrees here cloudy and windy but at least it's dry.

If Met Eireann even attempt to say the wind is normal for June, I'll be one of those who write in to complain about their forecasts 😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

an ok day in Meath but there are a few light drops now. Hopefully it will stay dry for the rest of the day but at least I got my walk in today.

I got two walks in Gonzo, I'm planning ahead for the rest of the week😉

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

theres a massive difference in the weather in Dublin and well say cork city -its p1ssing rain in cork city nearly every day and its normally dry in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any reason for this? You would think with Cork being further south it would be better but it gets alot more rain than Dublin.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Nearer the Atlantic and further west. Dublin is about as from the Atlantic as you can get plus the city and suburbs are quite often located in the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains rain shadow, when the wind is from the south or southwest, as is often the case when weather systems are crossing the country. The Vikings didn't settle where they did for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've a friend from Douglas who has lived in Dublin a good while now but he always said this, it's like chalk and cheese as to how much wetter Cork is. It's mad given it's only a 2 and a bit hour drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Was in Dublin CC today and it was dry and occasionally sunny but it’s breezy and quite cool and out of the sun it’s cold. If you even look at how people are dressed it’s like a scene out of March or October not high summer.

had a glorious week in Spain. Proper hot proper sun balmy evenings and beautiful light. No pretension of good weather.

We'll likely come in under the LTA for the month of June unless tonight's front dumps a huge amount on us. There hasn't been nearly as much rain as you think, though you are right to say Dublin is generally significantly drier for the reasons outlined above. Dublin is having an unusually dry June. Cork was a dustbowl until last Friday and we are still showing a SMD of around 20mm for farm land close to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Generally speaking from a brief glance of looking at the stats, June 2022 is likely to come out as a windier than average June. At Casement and Malin Head, it is likely to be the windiest since 2017. Running averages here right now are 9.3 kts and 13.6 kts respectively as of the 26th compared to 9.8 kts and 14.5 kts respectively in June 2017.

Unsure whether June 2020 will have been windier in Cork than 2022 or not. June 2020 was reportedly the windiest there since 1990 or 1997 depending on the station.

So rest assured @appledrop, it won't have been average unlike May 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Here in south-east Meath we are catching up fast with the rain totals for June. A few days ago we were sitting around 25mm of rain but now we are sitting at 50mm. 70mm is average for June and I think this will be beaten by the weekend. Generally another 20 to 30mm rain can be expected in most places between now and Thursday night which is the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

Yeah saw someone out walking in a coat and boots today absolutely miserable weather for summer. So grey and dull.

I'm telling you Sryanbruen I'd be onto them if they said average wind for June😉

Some days after the school run I'm like your one from Avonmore ad whose hair is wrecked by weather going from hairdressers to her car due to wind🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

My hanging baskets are in smidereens pebble dash all over the decking. It’s a cold dull autumnal night in Dungarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's not been a stormfest of wind in June but its the duration of the breezy and moderately windy spells.

Like for crap sake we've had 22 windy days when the wind has been 30mph or more but rarely has it been over 50mph like some days other years that have brought up the respective average for those years. Its just a constant fresh breeze and on the windward coast a gale at times.

Tonight we worried we may have to buy unaffordable heating oil coz the house is so cold and we have none but we will sit in our quilts for a day or two and hope the wind eases and temperature goes over 14c again soon. Its 11 and 12c since Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Dew on the lawn this morning not far off freezing, was mid day till it got double figures, back to raining between the showers. Heating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lovely blue skies on my walk first thing this morning. Makes such a difference to the mood. Needless to say it didn't last long. Still, decent drying out in that wind 😮 even with a build up of cloud as the day went on. No rain yet. Looked like it was approaching all day. Dark and wintery now. Meath.

Pauldry, I think you have hit the nail on head about the wind.

I actually wouldn't mind if there was a day or two of big stormy windy weather, then over and done with but no its relentless wind everyday.

We are not far from coast either so I know that doesnt help but I swear to god it was less windy in Jan/ Feb/Mar on school run.

Very windy and heavy rain in Cork now, like a winter's night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

We have had dinner on our patio once this year. Cool constant wind the issue. Normally we'd be eating outside 3 days a week since 1 May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

If ye think Cork is bad ye wouldn't want to come to Kerry 😲 It certainly justifies its place as rainiest county in the country. I came back from Spain Friday morning and there have only been a few dry interludes since. My garden is a heap of muck and water. I hear ya KayneSouthEast about your hanging baskets in smithereens.😥 Because I really must have some semblance of summer, every year I spend a fortune on patio flowers. And every year it's a huge labour of love trying to protect them from the Kerry climate. Tonight every one of them [and there are a lot] are all crowded into the conservatory and utility room as otherwise their roots would rot from the constant wet. And this happens a few times every summer, even last year which was good. But no way will I be without them, it's worth it to look out at them on good days and to be cheered by the colour on the many grey days.

And there is no doubt that midlands and east fare much better. Today I had to go to Athlone. Not a drop of rain there until well after 4PM, in fact quite mild and pleasant, but once past Newcastlewest on the way home this evening, I was back in deluge land and it's been lashing since.

So folks over east, ye really don't have it so bad compared to us.😥 Thankfully I'm escaping back to Spain in a few weeks, my sanity wouldn't hack an entire summer here. It might improve but then again it might not. We tend to spend our summers here waiting and hoping and it's the hope that kills us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Same issue here, I got one of those plastic greenhouses and it has a rip already. During the weekend one set of shelves went over 😥, did manage to save a few things but it's relentless. Can't leave the front open due the the constant south, south easterly winds. Tring to sort out a new place for it but it's going to take time and it still wont be fully sheltered.

I can't remember every having this constant blustery wind during a summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

July will be a washout also

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Niall145

Speaking of Kerry was down there last Monday for a hike up Carrauntoohil, absolutely glorious weather (blue skies, temps in the mid 20s) and the whole county looking gorgeous, that day was a very rare exception it seems....

Last Monday was beautiful everywhere throughout the country with low to mid twenties in many places. Currently it is the only true nationwide day of summer we have had this June. Wednesday and Thursday of last week were meant to be of a similar outcome to the Monday but sadly too much cloud across the country limited the temperatures and sunshine was a bit sparse even in the east.

Currently here in Meath it is now lashing rain after a relatively dry day. Looks like plenty of more rain to come tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Some of the long term models are going for a dry and high pressure dominated August to October/early November period. If that verified I have mixed feelings about it. A warm and settled August would be lovely but a rerun of last September, as nice as it was really did some damage for the Winter season. I'm hoping for a cool and wet September even if I won't enjoy it. If we could get a warmer second half to July and a decent August that would go along way for making up for the poor summer so far. But I wouldn't want it to continue all the way through after mid September and into October.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Oh so last Monday was Summer. I guess it wasn't too bad here 16c (in NW) seems hot compared to this.

But Kerry is taking a pasting. Provisionally 102mm for 4 days in Valentia. Another 20mm at least there. To put it into context wet Sligo has had 70mm all month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TESLA7

About as grim as is possible to imagine at the min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Tremendous weather out there this morning. There's not much more to say about it really. Just time to get the winter gear back out and get on with it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement