Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

Ok thats good to know. Rang the traffic hotline there and they fobbed me off to the closest station to samual beckett bridge which is store street.

did you go into station or call on phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I called TrafficWatch in the evening of the day it happened and they took all the details over the phone. Then I had a call from a Garda at the local station a couple of weeks later inviting me to come in and make a statement.

I also called traffic watch and was told they are only putting it into an excel. Not sure why she bothered taking the details - if I call the station now Im doing her job!

Update : rang garda station there. Need to go in person. Garda said traffic watch is useless which seems to confirm my experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Odd, usually traffic watch are great, take very specific details, very helpful etc and it's the Gardai that are useless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

It's such an arse of a system having to report in person, what if you were passing through and had cycled home a good distance. It's literally as many obstacles as possible in the hopes of everyone dropping the report.

I had a similar instance on the quays last night with a left turning van that side swept me in the cycle lane with no indicator and hit my hand and only for I turned left with the van would probably be under it. Rang traffic watch and reported the case and about 2 months later got a call from a garda in Bridewell St who was forwarded the case. He declared there was no cctv covering the busy junction and since it was so long since past anyway they wouldn't be able to retrieve it. Furthermore and more comically he said the van was registered down the country and likely wouldn't be used to Dublin traffic so I guess that gave them carte blanche for nearly running over another road user.

At least calling traffic watch there's a report of the case and it's sent to the corresponding station eventually but all pot luck if the investigating garda is actually interested in following up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's not my experience. The benefit of using TrafficWatch is that you know that the incident has been logged. I've had a few experiences going into the station where they take details on a post-it note, which I'm fairly sure gets filed in the bin when I walk out. They can't do that with TW as it has een logged from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Traffic Watch can't deal with actual collisions in my experience, and the Gardaí have to take that seriously so there's no benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Cycling inbound towards the Children's Hospital, taking the lane so nobody tries to fly up past me in the bus lane after the junction and I hear a beep behind me to see a Prius right on my arse, I give him the WTF hand signal then he floors it past me. Normally bullying would make me move over more but before I could think he was already flooring it. I was behind him at the next light as it went green, then he flew down Kildare Road where I would have caught up to him again but I was turning off. You're never far from a red light in a built up area, speeding and driving aggressively is just pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I won’t provide maps because it’s so close to home, but I live just off a narrow one way street that has parking down one side, and just enough room for one vehicle to pass. The entrance to this street is a crossroads, so you approach it along a two way street, cross a perpendicular road, and then you’re on the narrow bit.

This evening, firstly, a taxi driver tried to overtake me as I’m about 10 metres from the crossroads and already slowing, on the two way street. He backs out of it.

He then tries to overtake me on the one way street, into the line of parked cars at the side. He backs out of that too.

The one way street widens briefly about 100 metres along, and I knew he was going to go for it again, so this time I move over and signal to him to go. He flies past… into the back of a queue of traffic maybe 20 metres ahead, sitting at a very long red light.

I dismounted and walked the rest of the way to my house, as it’s too narrow to filter. He was still sitting there as I was going in my front door.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you don't take the lane, you're asking for close/dangerous passes because Irish drivers have no patience

Take the lane or they take chances.

Not excusing that driving at all, and not having a go at you over what was likely a very scary incident, just saying there's a way you can lessen the likelihood of close/dangerous passes. Hope you're ok

I frequently take the lane along here. The blue car driver was sound so I didn’t take the lane in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'm not sure taking the lane here would have done anything to prevent that the other lane was clear he wasn't squeezing by just not bothered to give space

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You are right but it is nice to have that space to move into if they drift whiel skimming you. Not much better but a tiny bit. If everyone was like the first car though, then it wouldn't matter a f* where you were as it would be safe.

Absolutely I try to do the same too but it's not always easy a few seconds lapse in concentration and you're too close to the kerb. Looking at the video again the ops positioning isn't too bad but the state of the road, footpath widths and entrances etc. the good pass beforehand he drifts a little left something I'm probably guilty of daily! Then you get the close pass reminder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Please report that and insist on making a statement.

It's the second or third car tailgaters thst are often make the scariest passers. 1sr car safe and they follow blind, often clueless as to the obstacle or hazard ahead. Muppets. Tailgating is a real problem in Ireland, and not policed effectively or at all.

I’ve lost all hope in Lucan Gardai. They DNGAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I had a Garda in Lucan issue an FCPN based on what I said over the phone and, to quote the Garda, "the driver's reaction when I spoke to them". He didn't tell me what that meant, whether they admitted the close pass or were completely offensive, but the Garda never even saw my video, so pleased enough that there some action was taken.

Wondering whether the FCPN should have been a prosecution for careless driving took away some of the pleasure though.

Careless driving will only land someone in District Court, where the standard of judges is pretty damn low. You'll encounter the exact same attitude from a DC Judge as you will from the average Garda Sergeant when it comes to offences against cyclists.

• Advertisement

Pre pandemic I'd a close pass and intimidating driving from a guy who reckoned I should be in the bike lane. He was revving his car behind me, beeping and shouting all caught on camera. I reported it to Lucan and the first question was why wasn't I cycling in the bike lane, even when explained they said it could all have been avoided if I was cycling where I was supposed to be!! I instantly knew it wasn't going to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

No experience personally but that's the impression I get alright from the few reported cased I'd read about. The judicial system needs a serious shake up, too much subjectivity and thus grounds for appeal given the whims of some out of touch judge.

UK looks to have a more proactive system in terms of the police issuing fines and penalty points and justice system prosecuting and convicting the more serious offenses but this recent case throws a lot of that out the window and similar to what you'd expect here with every excuse under/including the sun used:

https://road.cc/content/news/mechanic-escapes-ban-after-cutting-corner-cyclist-293891

I wonder if they apply the same filter logic to burglaries (why not stay home and not give thieves the opportunity to break in) or assault victim( if you were not there the assault would have been avoided)

Etc...

The attitude of some of them leaves a lot to be desired. No wonder its a free for all with close passes etc. It's unlikely to be reported and even less likely to be taken seriously.

Policing by consent or is it if they consent to police?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

This really annoyed me as I was only feet from entering the cycle lane

No effort to pass at a safe distance and overtaking against oncoming vehicle. All too common. Will you report this?

With on coming vehicle and narrow lane I move out more. Then a driver from behind has to cross into the path of oncoming traffic to pass. Most will hold back until its safe or safer. You should not have to do this but when you dont you may get a pass like you experienced, which is a Jesus Christ and FFS pass.

Lucky I was pulling up short as he certainly wasn't stopping I was looking right for traffic on the road and lane and just looked left as he passed! https://streamable.com/i71n9a and a classic left hook https://streamable.com/unb6v1 yesterday on the way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dunno if you could call that a left hook in fairness, cars a fair distance ahead of you and is indicating clearly well ahead of the junction. He just slows right down to make the turn which is why you catch up with him.

Fair enough it's not the worst left hook I've had but still poor driving if I didn't adjust speed and position I'd have hit him all because he was too impatient to wait and turn behind me.

Yeah one I'd shake my head over as opposed to shaking my fist at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

I’ve had drivers overtake me like that and then stop dead in their lane waiting for me to pass on the inside. Invariably I stop because what the hell am I supposed to do, carry on and trust they won’t change their mind.

So they get it half right. Pity they don’t go the whole way and avoid the overtake altogether.

Advertisement