Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

You'd have to feel a bit of sympathy for Horan just behind the gratitude. Last year's final was probably the lowest moment a lot of us had following Mayo, imagine how he felt? On another day we could have easily won it and I've always said that the player's really needed to look at themselves after that defeat. We played within ourselves and I don't think that can all be put at the door of Horan.

This year he didn't have any luck with injuries. We were a diminished team going into yesterday and despite that, we still had the chances to ask serious questions of Kerry only for some woeful shooting and decision making. Again, you can't put all of that on him.

I do think it had gone stale though. That was evident in all of our Championship games. You looked at the team before the game yesterday wondering where we were going to get scores from. I think a new system is needed. We all loved the running game when we were at our peak but it seems to be the hard way to do things these days. I'd love to see a forward line being a proper unit and offering a serious threat. Hopefully the new management can develop something different. I think the days of packing the forward lines with runners/midfielders and asking your backs to contribute heavily to the scoreboard has had its day.

I think there's plenty of talent in that squad and there's more coming through. It might be an end of an era but we're by no means going away anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rn

I'd agree there, last year's all Ireland loss was definitely the waste of yer best opportunity to win a senior all Ireland, possibly ever. That was a poor enough, but lucky Tyrone team.

Obviously you know you own panel best, but outside looking in, ye are heading for a transition period and a serious clear out is required.

Galway probably about the right age to do a few years dominating connacht. Roscommon definitely gone into transition too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭gigantic09

If nothing else he could give us a daily count of the number of mayo players in the ICU 😂😂😂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Some people are just hilarious.

So the CB the same CB who got lambasted here a few years ago for NOT getting into bed with that eejiit are now somehow in cahoots with him bringing down Horan.

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

What do you mean a serious clear out is required? There actually aren't many old players on the panel. Keegan and Hennelly are 32 but both still in really good form. O'Shea 32 this month, not as central a player as previous but can offer something. Cillian just turned 30 and still recovering from a serious injury. Definitely has something to offer if he gets a clear run of fitness next year. Doherty and Kevin McLoughlin probably the most likely to step away.

Nobody else is near retirement age.

You mention Galway, but Paul Conroy has been their star man this year. He's 33 and around since 2008, longer than any current Mayo player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Horan had gone soft and not just stale. Players like AOS/Coen would have been benched during his first stent. He has done loads for Mayo GAA but we just don't have enough quality and lack consistency in the newer guys. COC is too slow now, the best player ever to play for us will most likely bow out(keegan). Mcloughlin is done, doherty is done, AOS is done, Doc is just an image of what he should be and has been for a while now.

We have loads of panel players who are stuck in no man's land Carr, Boland, Mchale, Orme, Moran, Coen etc etc.

The new guy has a rebuilding job on his hands, be under no illusion as he will need to clear out some of the names above as I expect some won't go. We will never win the big prize with any of the above (except Keegan) and that is the harsh reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think you could be right that Malachy O'Rourke might be a good outside manager to have. I also found him really good but outside managers rarely work. Rochford's value has taken a dive with Donegal's performances and will it be like deja vu. Solan at least won an All Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would have been keen on Rochford myself until very recently, maybe as recently as yesterday but I think it would be a case of deja vu deja vu...

A fresh start is needed

Yeah, even though I respect what Rochford did I think this rethread manager merry go round needs to stop.

Maughan was replaced by Holmes, who was replaced by Maughan, O'Mahony had two stints, Horan was replaced by Holmes, and Horan appeared again.

Go back an re read what you replied to. I wrote “some gobsh*te within the county board” not “the county board”. The “county board” are not a hive mind all agreeing on everything. To have had talks with said individual in the first place there has to have been at least a couple of people within the higher echelons of Mayo personally behind the plan who subsequently felt marginalised when it became clear he was a knob, That some of these people would have “scores” to settle is not beyond the realms of possibility. And look at the type of personal information spread by the individual about some people within the Cb. That suggests it ultimately is coming from an individual or faction with an agenda, and access,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is the process still that every club can nominate to the county board their pick for manager as long as he allowed his name to go forward? Then it's the county board to organise the interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Im lost in your first paragraph, are you in agreement that you are slating using form as a performance indicator, and then yourself using form as an indicator? but because he was better than some of the others doesnt mean he was good. I can criticise for the black card. Commentary at the time was due to verbals, for which this is a sanction. other players werent black carded. doesnt make it right, but thems the rules.

Yeah he's not that old either, but hasn't been the same since the 2 ACL injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'd say any retirements might be dependent on who the new manager is. If it's someone good, players who were thinking of packing it in might be tempted to stay on (if they're wanted). I think Keegan, Hennelly, AOS, Doc & McLoughlin are all around the same age (32-ish) - the last two maybe the most likely to retire but I think they'd stay on if the manager wants them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

Jason has come back from 2 acls in his 30s,not many guys in any sport can do that and perform at previous levels,he's not the player he was unfortunately and wouldnt be surprised to see him step away.

Keegan is one of the best players in the country and in a rich vein of form.Hennelly is getting better with age and on current form is the best keeper in the country.

The fact that they are all 32 is irrelevant.

I actually think the fact that he's just come back from the ACL injuries this year makes it more likely that he'll stay on, I think he'll want one more full season after putting in all the effort

When should we expect a new manager?

With the county club season upcoming would he be in place for the start of that so that he can have a look at who is out there.

Or would it be a case of letting the club season run and at the end see if anyone emerges as a strong candidate that was not in the frame already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Same

Never go back

Rochford was let go too soon as I said at the time

But we need to move on now .

and not to Jim Gavin as some have suggested !

Yes maybe I don't disagree with that .

I was calling out a poster who was putting DOC,Leeroy and Hennelly in the same bracket as regards stepping away simply because they're a similar age.

I think Kevin Mac will go and maybe Jason,that'll be it.

Although it feels like the end of an era with James going we have a young team with a lot of older experienced guys.We have a team good enough to win the All Ireland with all the long term injuries back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Difficult one, if it is to be Dempsey we'd be livid if that was announced in advance of any club championship

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

Think it's personal circumstances that will be the key factor for these guys.

Some have young families, others may have career aspirations and need to dedicate time to this.

Maybe an exciting appointment may re-energise but nothing very obvious in the offing currently. Maybe McLoughlin hangs around if Dempsey gets the job but even he is feeling the effects of time and miles on the clock.

Agreed re Gavin.

It'll be interesting to see who gets it. While there's a bit of work to do there, there's a great foundation to build on.

Having Tommy and Ryan coming into the team next year is a huge plus. If one of Carr or Carney really push on / can be developed, then brilliant. We won't be far off.

I actually think that the big challenge next year is to strengthen our impact players/bench. The first 15 or so will probably look after itself to a degree. There's a bit of work to be done there but nothing crazy. But as was mentioned, there's a lot of the squad in a bit of no man's land.

If a new manager can get 5,6,7 players who can make a significant impact, and get them and the team used to their roles, then it would be of huge benefit.

While we have a big squad of lads take can do a bit of a job from time to time, it's never really certain who those guys are, when they'll be used, or if they will deliver. They are fillers more so than impact players.

If some of the older players could be transitioned into a few of these roles, it would be great. Cillian, Aiden, Kevin McL, DOC could be the bones of a great impact bench if used wisely.

I would love to see the new manager focus in on 22/23/24 key players. I think we've suffered a little from having 30 odd players who might be /could be called upon on any given weekend.

Just to add I think this managerial appointment is the most important one there's ever been,we are at a juncture now.We have the players to land the big one but we need to maintain the standards whilst also getting a bit of a bounce and fresh voice.

Rochie has the experience,respect and is a great tactician (it was fairly clear he didn't have much input in donegal this year)He knows whats involved at this level,I wouldn't be worried that we're having a manager back again,that's irrelevant if he can do the job.I think he would be the safest bet.

My own preference would be to be brave and take a punt on Andy Moran.He knows the standards,knows what it's like inside the bubble and has a great football brain.He has very little intercounty experience but has more than the current favourite for the gig.

A clubman like Dempsey is not the answer,he has never operated at this level,now I'm not saying he couldn't learn but that takes a few years,we need to keep things rolling and up it a few %.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I mean you are letting previous performances colour your judgement of his performance against kerry. He done ok against kerry, better than most in the middle third. You arent actually using any performance indicators from the kerry match to judge his performance so im not sure why you are referencing them.

In fact the only thing you are referencing is a black card that was ridiculously harsh and to most observers, a very poor call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Andy Moran is a definite no for me

Too inexperienced and too close to some of the current playing squad .

I like Rochford . A lot . If he does get the gig again I’ll be fine with that but I do wonder about the wisdom of going back again .

Kevin Mcstay ?

Not sure why people would be against Gavin - he's literally in the top two football managers ever. I don't think it's at all realistic that he would consider it but if he would, I'd bite his hand off

McStay is not an option if he wants to include McHale.

With all due respect to McHale he was a great player but is not suitable to current day management structures.

Too much "laps of the field" than "studying video " for this day and age.

Fitzmaurice is definitely out.

He's a teacher in Dingle and although he won an All Ireland he did not have to go through Dublin to do it, even in Kerry he is poorly regarded.

I agree with you on McGuiness, he did a great job with Donegal in 2012 and it was a very unique achievement, but he has not been able to follow up on it.

Agree re the importance, I don't know who the right man is but it is a huge appointment.

Interesting to read your take on Dempsey/Moran.

I would be edging more towards Dempsey myself but can see why Andy might be in the running.

But is Leitrim really "at this level"? I'm not sure if there's a huge gap between what Dempsey achieved with Knockmore and what Andy may have learned in Leitrim.

I would say it's a little unfair to class Dempsey a "clubman". He has managed the minors and u21's (albeit not great tenures iirc), brought his club to impressive heights, so he has ticked all the boxes that someone can tick before making the jump to intercounty senior manager. It does seem a bigger jump these days than it used to be... And most of the talk seems to be regarding guys with intercounty experience for that reason.

To play devils advocate or to go to the other extreme, would we be basing Andy on his podcast performances? That's harsh and not what I feel, but I think there's something behind it and it really would be a gamble at this stage of his managerial career. He's an extremely impressive guy and seems to know what's required inside out but he really is unproven / untested.

I just wouldn't be leaning towards that gamble given the importance of the appointment.

• Advertisement

Mcstay and moran fall into the same category for me - too nice. There is going to need to be someone who is going to make some tougher calls, like horan did in his first stint. Someone who will keep a bit of distance will be required I feel.

Personally, id like to see a break from this narrative of we are lucky to have the players we have. It is all wrong. Mayo are a footballing stronghold and the way I see it, players should be privileged to wear the jersey for every second that they do, not the other way around. I feel that this is where horan went down. He became loyal to his players rather than the county. Ive no doubt it was bourne out of frustration with the cb, but it is still a bad move as regards keeping the team in the right mindframe. In kerry, they are lucky to wear the jersey, end of. We need to instill the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I'd be shocked if Dempsey doesn't get it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's more or less already a done deal. The county board won't pick anyone outside the county imo.

Whether that's a good appointment or not, I wouldn't be sure...

A view from a roscommon man re mcstay - he is magnificent if you have the panel already assembled and just need the bit extra to get over the line. I seen him in action in Roscommon Gaels and St Brigids and on both occasions he got absolute max out of good to excellent teams. He's tactically astute, decisive and players generally like him.

He did a good job with roscommon IMHO, but hadn't full support after the "dream team" fell apart. And roscommon can't afford not to be 100% pulling in one direction. So roscommon views are mixed on him.

I honestly don't think mcguiness could do it for ye. What he did in donegal could only be done with his home county... Lads put so much into it.

Ye know yer selves where the team is at. IMHO that panel hasn't an all Ireland in them even if lads are early 30s and have been great servants. There's a job to keep some, turn others into panel players and impact subs and cut lose a few more. Ye should have excellent young lads from the last few years - now is their time.

Best of luck with the search.

it is, but i was correcting an argument that he is likely to leave because hes of the oldest 2 on the pitch.

Rochford is close to the modern game and has a proven track record at that level.

Mcstay is a nice guy but has never been on the biggest stage,he's way too far removed from the modern game.

I know it's all about opinions and maybe I'm the one who's wrong but I don't see how Mcstay could be a better choice than Rochford by any known metric.

I've heard a few people say Horan was too loyal to certain players. Don't agree with that at all. If anything, he moved on from Higgins and Boyle a bit too soon.

There has been a massive turnover of players the last 3 seasons.

• Advertisement

Another view from outside; Mayo have a habit of going back to the well to replace managers and no success to show for it.

When I say that I mean he began to engage in this 'we are lucky to have this group of players in mayo' type stuff. It feeds into this superstar narrative that has caused issues in mayo in the last for me.

Kerry dont engage in it and gavins dublin were active against it too. For them, the players were the lucky ones at all times as they get to represent something bigger than all of them, not the other way around.

I know it is a small thing, but look at man utd under ferguson, who always talked up the club. When he left it became about individual stars and the performances became individualistic. That narrative around a squad is important.

That's a fair post.

For me the gap between club and county has widened hughly in the last 10 years,this is magnified when we're talking about a project like Mayo.

I think anybody who hasn't been there before is going to struggle to adjust,its a real sink or swim scenario and even those that will swim will need time to adjust.We have a squad now that can win Sam,we don't have the luxury of a bedding in period of a couple of seasons.

For this reason I'd go with Andy or Rochie.I wouldn't be too worried about Morans closeness with the current team,he has shown he can be ruthless enough and is very driven,I don't think he'd be worried about stepping on a few toes if it meant the ultimate prize. Andy surely would be more of a risk or a punt but he knows the standards,can maintain them and his energy, enthusiasm and belief coupled with football brain could be the thing to gel it all together and give us that lift.

To be clear I mean no disrespect to Ray Dempsey by pointing out he is a clubman.

I've heard this a few times and it baffles me

We've gone back to three managers. Mayo 2004 are probably the worst team to contest an All Ireland since the 80s, that was Maughan's second term.

O'Mahoney was a wash out

Horan has brought a national league, two finals, a semi and a quarter with a team that was supposedly in complete transition, we lost Seamie, Vaughan, Higgins, Boyler, Parsons, Clarke, Caff, Barrett and Andy from that team.

On Andy, he had a shot at managing Ballagh before Leitrim and it didn't amount to much. He has no CV and is too close to these lads IMO.

I'd be very surprised if Dempsey was a done deal, hes not exactly a company man.

Dempseys minor team were excellent, it was the year O'Shea and Walsh were on it, if we had held onto the ball at one end we had it won, instead we took a silly shot that dropped short and they got an equaliser. The replay was in Longford and went to extra time, Hennelly dropped one straight to Conor O'Neill. Kyle Coney was Tyrones star man. Having said all that its 14 years ago!

• Advertisement

I think Andy Moran would be a good choice but only if he has a very strong management team around him, he certainly has the character to lift and motivate a team whatever about the other skills required.

Or perhaps it is time, in this day and age for Mayo to be the most pioneering team in the country, embrace diversity, and appoint the first female manager to an intercounty side. How about Joanne Cantwell pacing the sideline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

How was McGuinness not able to follow up on 2012? In 2014 they hammered the greatest team of all time, something no other county could even get close to doing. They lost a tense final after their keeper kicked the ball straight to Donaghy for a late goal

His 4 year stint (plus the one u21 year) was one of the most impressive stints ever by a manager. 2010 brings an u21 team to an All Ireland final where they miss a last gasp penalty to win it. 2011 brings a lowly D2 team, known previously as a "crowd of wasters" to an Ulster. 2012 All Ireland. 2013 had a down year. 2014 mentioned above and quits afterwards, with the county not making a semi final since.

I don't like his character tbh, find him slightly arrogant but his achievements get completely overshadowed by the "death of football" stuff that its remembered for and that was happening well before he arrived. It's possible his methods are outdated but then again he's adapted his style quickly already once, and was agile at the time and still isn't that old. He'd be incredibly worth a roll of the dice for ye imo. Now there is also a Donegal job up for grabs and he may not want to return at all. Worth finding out though

something no other county could even get close to doing

Really, something no other county could even get close to doing ?

Except Mayo who beat them twice and drew with them twice and Kerry who drew with them once.

In your book beating them and drawing with them is not even close.

I know you're from Galway and a WUM and you are doing a fine job of it.

There was Pat Holmes as well. It's rare other counties even go back to consider a manager, but mayo certainly have a habit of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

A wum for espousing the virtues of Jim McGuinness, a man from west Donegal. Grand

I used the words hammering. Even if you include the 2012 and 2021 versions of Dublin in that greatest team of all time argument (which almost noone does btw), those games were 3 point wins and a last gasp normal time save and ET win. I don't think its the same personally but anyway well done for picking on one tiny comment and ignoring all the actual stuff relevant to the discussion. You must be a bit tetchy this week, understandable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I'd keep that man as far away from Mayo football as would be humanly possible, and increase the distance further again if I could. He caused immeasurable and irreparable damage to Mayo GAA and his most recent appointment was a sham and a disaster from start to finish.

Based on results his second term was a success also, but for poor refereeing we'd have won the 2015 final when Small picked it off the ground

The talk is that the gap between club and county has widened, and that's where I would have started off thinking. But successful club teams these days are extremely "professional" in their set-up. I wonder is it just us thinking that the gap has widened rather than it being any bigger than before.

Intercounty is a completely different ball game to what it was but it doesn't fall down on one man like it used to. A lot of it is about assembling the right management team / coaches / backroom staff to assist the manager.

My gut would be that Andy would be great to have involved in the management team, but that the main job would be too big of a step at this point in time.

I often wonder about Ciaran Mc's influence this year as well. He seemed to have a bit of a diminished role Vs last year but that might be reading into the supposed falling out... and our forward play was always going to suffer without Tommy and Ryan. But I wouldnt mind seeing him involved again.

Rochford, Andy, Ciaran Mc would look good on paper. Rochford strikes me as a manager who would let them grow into their own roles.

I maybe wrong but I would see Dempsey wanting his own team and being less open to that kind of thing.

I said I didn't fancy Rochford a few hours ago.... Ah, I give up. I'm rambling on.

I guess we'll only know if a good choice is made a year or so after the appointment is made. Whoever it is, I hope it works out.

Like Parlance says, the appointment will (or at least should be) as much about the team a candidate assembles as the lead candidate themselves. Most/All of the possible candidates have weaknesses which could possibly be covered by having a good backroom team.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

That was 16 and think it was bastic that picked it off the ground

• Advertisement
Advertisement