Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There is no denying that the RCC is certainly seen a major fall in Ireland over the last 30 to 40 years. Looking back at the pre EEC times, it is now almost impossible to understand the power and control that the RCC had over the state. But since then (it isn't simply because of the move to EEC but ties in rather neatly) things have changed to such an extent that children growing up now have little to no understanding of just how much interference the RCC had.

They basically controlled every aspect of a persons life. Education, healthcare, marriage, career, hell even to the point that upon their direction one couldn't buy a drink on certain days in the year!

Luckily all that nonsense is now got rid off, and the country has moved on. Church doesn't make up any significant part of most young peoples lives.

So there is no argument about the fall of the church, the only argument can be about how far the fall will continue. It will be interesting to watch over the next 20 years or so how the smaller parishes cope. With the inevitable dying off of the older parishioners, will the need, or the resources, be there to continue to administer masses and sacriments in each church or will we will a consolidation of services? I think we have already seen some consolidation, with some priests having to administer to a number of parishes, but will the church continue to operate churches when have continuing falling numbers? Will repairs and maintenance be undertaken, some times at significant costs.

Once example from 2018

New Bishop of Galway certainly sees it

With the growing population, one would expect new churches to be opening up, but it is the opposite. As pointed out in earlier posts, baptisms, RCC marriages or both falling. There seems little the RCC can do to reverse this trend and as such there seems little reason to think that the current decline will not continue and probably accelerate.

I very much doubt the RCC will disappear, there is enough infrastructure in place to ensure it is always going to be central and the RCC as a whole does have the resources to continue to support it for many many years. But it place as an important part of the lives of people will continue to diminish, certainly its place as a central role.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I pointed out that if you get the ethics and morals you learnt from the RCC led you to throw insults and condescend rather then engage and discuss, then it wasn't a very strong rock on which to build.

You made no attempt the conter this point and no references to to the points; so, if you say you weren't trolling, then the logicial question is: what WAS your intent with these posts if not to troll?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, it will change, as the whole world is changing, in every sense of the world, and the Church is changing too. There is now an ongoing program to train lay people as deacons, men and women to take much of the load off the Priests. Lay people handing out Holy Communion, which was once thought unthinkable, is now common accepted practice, and has been for quite awhile. So that's one step, The local Parish Councils, are run by lay members and its been like that for many years now too. Its been 22 years now since the Sunday ban on drinking hours was abolished, but these laws were originally introduced by the British during the 1st world war, and not by the Church. And of the much mentioned Church interference in Irish Life which the Church did wield in the past, is just a myth in this day and age. But the bottom line is that Christianity in Ireland will survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Whistling past the graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And of the much mentioned Church interference in Irish Life which the Church did wield in the past, is just a myth in this day and age.

Not sure what you mean by this. It is certainly not a myth. It is no longer the case, that is true, but the church held a very powerful role in the past in Ireland.

On the issue of lay people taking on more of a role, again this is being forced onto the church as the number of priests continue to drop. But it is a short term solution. Inevitably, the number of lay people will also continue to drop. But what it also does is lesson the role of the priest. Once the church relied entirely on the priest, he was seen as someone special. Now, well they are just another person that doesn't really need to be there.

• Advertisement

Again, everything is blamed on the Cathoiic Church, Maybe Putins invasion can be blamed on the Church too, Princess? Nope, sorry, My ethics and morals were developed over many years, and completely outside and far from the Church, and in circumstance you would not believe, ( and to be honest, I hope you , or anyone else either never have to experience ) In our own way, even back then, I, like many of my classmates rebelled against the hierarchy whether it was Church or State. And believe me Princess, the state were maybe even the bigger bastards of the two, with corruption that would make Idi Amin look positively benevolent. My attitude here on boards is totally influenced by posters and how they post. When their only agenda is 100% blatantly anti-Church, and Anti Christian., without any consideration that there were and still are good religious Clergy ( of which there were many),,,and also good Christians. Then to me this is not a balanced discussion, its just repetition ad-nauseum of negative attack's on every aspect of Christianity, You have the same negative attitude, Princess, attack, attack. So I'm sure you understand why, I treat your posts as I feel they should be treated. A little bit more balance in your posts Princess would go a long way.

Firstly, it wasn't a blatant 100% attack, and you know it. Not everything is. We're allowed to criticise.

Seondly, you're justifying the trolling here rather than denying it. To deny it, you need to point out where I made a blatant 100% attack that went beyond criticism and you need to point out the references to the posts I made in the posts I quoted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have always wondered about Rome's co-operation in term of justice. We all know the child rapists in the clergy that have been brought to justice by the abuse survivors. But there must be many abusers who have never been brought to justice. It takes incredible courage for survivors to take their abuser to court many years later. I am sure many survivors bring the abuse to their graves for obvious reasons. It was exceptionally difficult to get convictions in the 70s/80s.

So is there any evidence that the Church have initiated justice for victims by providing the Gardai with evidence of abuse? Senior management must know about child rapists who were never convicted. They must. Have they provided their evidence or information to the Gardai? I doubt it somehow. For example, Cardinal Brady got promoted for hiding Smyth's horrific abuse for over 2 decades. Reports from child abuse court cases often alluded to the difficulty in getting information from the Church.

Have the church come clean on the abusers past and present? Are there paedophile priests out there today that are known to church authorities but are provided with silent protection? It's more than likely.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I work with young people and I have great confidence in their ability to see things for what they really are. Even though many are brought up as Catholics, they don't have the same baggage and the Age of Information answers many of their questions/doubts. There will be very few church goers in the traditional sense in 2 generations. And I don't see the young people of today telling as many "white lies" to their children in order to validate the religious sacraments they might need to engage in. Now Santa, Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and the Bogeyman are a different kettle of fish!

Fair enough. What about the Fr. Naughton case I posted about earlier? And as long as we're taking things on hearsay, any comment on the crucifixion death times I posted earlier?

Have faith and answer if you would.

• Advertisement

Are you deliberately thick or do you not understand this is the Fall of the Catholic Church thread. Prince Andrew and Epstein discussions can happen elsewhere? Feel free to start one - paedophilia endorsed and supported by the RCC, as exemplified in the Fr. Naughton case, is very germane for discussion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,806 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But misrepresentation, whataboutery and strawmanning are all he has!

Well, a nice snide line in personal abuse also...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Devout, ya know. Would fit right in with Fr. Naughty's townspeople. "none of these were representing Christ." Seriously? You can be damn sure Fr. Naughty was. In fact, every Sunday if I remember how the whole spiel goes.

Yeah, that crap is just the old "no true Scotsman" fallacy yet again. Not worth a moment's consideration.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Seems like the post has disappeared - guessing Beasty had a quiet word with him.

It's a failing of Irish law that they're not compelled, unlike in the US where they're (now, finally) mandatory reporters and the US council of bishops agreed too, if I remember the facts right. https://www.bishop-accountability.org/ is a fascinating site. Too bad there isn't the equivalent in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you won't get a response to this because it's factual proof , that innocent church goers were proven to be hostile to victims of a rapist and those who exposed the rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

On boards the Catholic Church is dying but on Tiktok and Twitter it’s power and might brought down RoevsWade and must be urgently prevented by any means necessary from taking over the entire planet.

Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

well that's it, you need to factor in the echo chamber aspect

• Advertisement

Supreme Court was packed with catholic conservatives. It's not hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The people elect the president in the US and the president then nominates the Supreme Court judges. So the people put them in there. That’s not hard to understand either.

You can’t get elected to the Supreme Court without the nomination of the President and the approval of the senate.

All of whom are democratically elected. Even the current President is calling himself a catholic (he’s not) not to mention the speaker of the house (she’s not either).

pretty impressive for a “dying” religion.

Being honest I have always felt that because the church has never proactively sought to expose/convict known child abusers (and bishops that cover them up!), the people that darken the doors of their organisation are in a small way condoning the abuse, the cover-ups, the blind eyes, the secrecy etc. The 'few bad eggs' excuse/validation is beyond sickening and completely two faced. The lack of internal agitation against the known culture of abuse/cover-up both by the clergy and the 'faithful' has always astounded me. It's alien to me. I couldn't even imagine the lack of action in any other organisation. The most proactive thing the church ever do is issue a bland statement of apology after the fact/conviction. Again I ask have the church come clean on the abusers past and present? Are there paedophile priests out there today that are known to church authorities but are provided with silent protection? Highly likely.

Fact is Igotadose,,,, all of Jesus miracles were witnessed by in some cases, thousands of witnesses, and faithfully recorded. Which was why in 3 years, his following had grown so much that He was considered as a threat in an area where there were frequent uprisings , largely when crowds congregated for any reason. He preached of a coming Kingdom, which was interpreted as a threat to the existing order, and was used to persuade Pontius Pilate to sentence him to death. Cultish beliefs, Igotadose?? Lasting some 2022 years....and spreading round the world.??? But of course, Igotadose your default position when it comes to the Church is deny and denigrate.

In good health was he, Igotadose ? After having being scourged, to the extent that his bones would have been showing through what ever skin was left on his back? On the way to Golgotha, He collapsed 3 times while carrying the cross to Golgotha, after the last time he fell, the Romans commanded Simon of Cyrene to carry it because they feared that he would die before they could crucify him. When the Jews asked for his body so he could be buried before the Sabbath, one of the soldiers thrust his lance into his side, to make sure he was dead, and blood and water came out, which was fluid from the heart and lungs, proving he was dead even before He was pierced by the lance.

By appointing deacons, it will reduce the load on the Priests, and while that might seem like lessening the role of the Priest to some, it will not affect committed Catholics. They will understand, and indeed welcome more participation by lay people. As to what will happen down the road, that's in the hands of God, or as Muslims say, " Ins'h Allah".

Just answered it Ash.

The correct term under the circumstances is actually " Alhamdulillah or Hamdulillah in short". Its a word I 'v e used often in work. But feel free to use it if you like.

Catholics only make up about 25% of the US population - and most of them are pro-choice, yet 2/3rds of the SC are not only catholic, but extreme conservative catholics.

All of whom are democratically elected.

Given the electoral college, gerrymandering and voter suppression, no, not really.

But all of this is totally irrelevant to the fate of the catholic church in Ireland. Dying on its arse.

That was the Christian Right in the US generally and they've been trying to get it repealed ever since it was first tried.

• Advertisement

Church attendance, , falling dramatically in the US:

This article delves into some of the reasons, succinctly summarized as "It's not lack of school prayer causing people to abandon faith, it's that Christianity has become a toxic religion"

Advertisement